This IS NOT A UNICORN!!!

KRL

I can’t wait until the term “unicorn” is a thing of the past. It’s so annoying.

what’s more annoying is HOW this guy has been hyped. I still think he’s the best safety prospect to come out in years and would be worth a high pick in this draft. He may not put up fancy numbers at the combine, but the combine doesn’t define everything. He’s going to be very very good. Is he Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu? **** no. I don’t know why these comparisons continue to emerge. They’re ridiculous. Same with the idea of him moving to lb. He’s a safety, and he’s going to be a solid one. I’d love to have him on the Jets, but I don’t think the timing is right. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, KRL said:

NFL Draft@NFLDraft 29m

Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton (@MoveTheSticks ' No. 3 prospect in the draft)
clocks a 4.56 unofficial 40 at pro day after posting 4.59 official at NFL Scouting Combine.

ed reed was 4.47 and palumalo was 4.33.  tyreek hill was 4.29. geisecki ran a 4.54 and waddle is somewhere around 4.37.  i don't see hamilton covering any doltfin.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Ed Reed 4.57

Justin Simmons 4.61

Harrison Smith 4.57
Derwin James 4.47
Marcus Williams 4.56

I do not want Kyle Hamilton. But running a 4.56 does not make or break Kyle Hamilton's draft profile. 

Where were all of those guys drafted?  4 overall?   Top 10? 

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Where were all of those guys drafted?  4 overall?   Top 10? 

Nope. Which is why I said I wouldn't take him with our 1st round picks. 

You can evaluate a player like Jonathan Taylor. Determine he is an elite prospect. And still not think he is a top 10 draft pick because he is a RB.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, derp said:

The Jets have disappointed drafting safety early. They've also disappointed drafting defensive tackle early. The 49ers drafted one of those positions early repeatedly. The same position that actually has a unicorn in this draft class.

For the record, not suggesting this. Davis scares me as a prospect. But this is the position that has a hole and the Jets seem to value.

Would be classic draft to have Jets fans relieved they didn't take Hamilton only to have them take Davis.

You can’t rush the passer unless you stop the run. 
Davis keeps the linebackers clean to get to the ball. 
Him next to Q would be sweet. 
If you Lawson cones back healthy and we draft an edge for the other side you can actually stop people and get the ball back to the offense. 
I would love this pick 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

If you Lawson cones back healthy and we draft an edge for the other side you can actually stop people and get the ball back to the offense. 
I would love this pick 

Dude, the Jets have been drafting run stopping DTs for 15 years we had Quinnen, jfm and fatusaki all run stoppers and where did that get us?

Davis would be an awful awful pick for the Jets.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah, but do you take the guy at 4 or 10 to be our Urlacher? I don’t know, like to know what you think, 

I don't know anything about this year's draft class. People are kind of rigid in their thinking on this sort of thing anyway. I don't think 'because positional value' is by itself a good enough reason to take a defensive lineman who's going to play half the snaps over a safety who's going to play all of them.

25 minutes ago, rangerous said:

ed reed was 4.47 and palumalo was 4.33.  tyreek hill was 4.29. geisecki ran a 4.54 and waddle is somewhere around 4.37.  i don't see hamilton covering any doltfin.

A blink of an eye is .1 seconds. 

I was the slowest athlete ever but my anticipation and fundamentals and angles on passing lanes I was a shut down center   Big difference between chasing and covering 

1 hour ago, Tranquilo said:

Source? Not saying you're lying, just trying to get more Drake London info/rumors

just following the bread crumbs no real sources but:

-It started with the reports of the Jets loving Mike Williams, he resigns.

-Reports then surfaced that JD “loved London”

-Kiper drops the mock and have the Jets going London at 4

-we get the news of the potential trade for Hill - that falls through

then we bring in Burks for a visit (a clear mislead imo)

I think JD is battling with what to do at 4 because he knows London won’t last to 10 and is the ideal weapon for Zach, Atlanta will snag him, KC, GB have the ammo to trade up etc.

So if you add all this up.. if JD can’t snag a dude from a trade he literally has to take London at 4

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

just following the bread crumbs no real sources but:

-It started with the reports of the Jets loving Mike Williams, he resigns.

-Reports then surfaced that JD “loved London”

-Kiper drops the mock and have the Jets going London at 4

-we get the news of the potential trade for Hill - that falls through

then we bring in Burks for a visit (a clear mislead imo)

I think JD is battling with what to do at 4 because he knows London won’t last to 10 and is the ideal weapon for Zach, Atlanta will snag him, KC, GB have the ammo to trade up etc.

So if you add all this up.. if JD can’t snag a dude from a trade he literally has to take London at 4

the usual suspects GIF

• Sympathy 1

Those 40 times drop when you consider his instincts at the position. He reads the offense and is in position to make a play on the ball. Doesn't mean much to me,(his fourth times).. I don't want to draft a safety though. No. D-line and WR, in the 1st. I'm sold totally on that.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If you look at him in the box of a traditional safety, I might agree.  I highly, highly doubt he’s going to be used as just a traditionally safety.

Many defenses at the College and bleeding into the pro level use a lot of the “big nickel” type defense where a Hybrid S/LB type player plays a blend of LB/S/Slot Corner.  Dane Belton played this position at Iowa.  Iowa calls it the “Cash” position.   For that type of player, his mix of size, athleticism and instincts most certainly is uncommon

Good post, a bit like Kyle Pitts last year, people couldn’t get past the fact he was listed as a TE but if you watched him you realised he was so much more than just a traditional TE, you were getting a Julio Jones type WR talent who could line up and block inline…Hamilton viewed purely as a safety misses the point about his versatility, likely role and probable success if he lands in the right spot….I’m not advocating we take him per se, just pointing out that his value isn’t purely as a safety.

• Upvote 2

40 times matter once, ever.  Speed, quickness, burst, anticipation, angle, reaction, redirection, body control, all have infinitely more effect on a play than how fast you cover 40 yards from a dead stop, ostensibly shoulder to shoulder with the guy you are facing but in reality you started by facing in different directions and all that other stuff mattered more than how fast you can sprint anyway.

We drafted 2 guys who we should put into that big nickle/hybrid LB role- Sherwood and Hasrildeen- unless their bodies were cool with packing on 25 lbs of muscle while recovering from last years injuries and we don't need a real LB in the draft this year after QW2 saved our ass last year when jarrad spit the bit and the kids broke..

5 hours ago, KRL said:

NFL Draft@NFLDraft 29m

Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton (@MoveTheSticks ' No. 3 prospect in the draft)
clocks a 4.56 unofficial 40 at pro day after posting 4.59 official at NFL Scouting Combine.

So the same as Marcus Williams, who the Jets Jets went after.

K

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Dude, the Jets have been drafting run stopping DTs for 15 years we had Quinnen, jfm and fatusaki all run stoppers and where did that get us?

Davis would be an awful awful pick for the Jets.

Just realize who the GM is, who the HC is and how they value the OL/DL.  Taking Davis over a WR, either at 10 or on a trade back, would not surprise me at all...

27 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Just realize who the GM is, who the HC is and how they value the OL/DL.  Taking Davis over a WR, either at 10 or on a trade back, would not surprise me at all...

By all means if it is an actual pass rusher.  If they guy is not going to be a pass rushing terror don't bother.

Knock it off. Safety is not even in JD’s war chest this draft. He just resigned Joyner and signed Whitehead. And Saleh was grooming Pinnock to play safety last year and he played fairly well. CB is a bigger concern but even that seems to be on the back burner with the signing of Reed. And don’t  we still have the Florida State  safety we drafted last gear that they failed to convert to a hybrid LB Nasradehm? JD has something up his sleeve. Perhaps he’s enamored with one of the top edges, Hutch/Thibs and may trade up. Perhaps not. But safety ain’t happening in this draft unless it’s later in round 5/6. 

17 hours ago, Larz said:

I would love this pick 

Jordan Davis played 20-25 snaps per game at Georgia.  Conditioning was always an issue and will continue to be at 340+lbs.

I understand philosophically that having a monster DT would be great in this defense but you cant use a high pick like this on a 25 snap player.

The guy I love is Travis Jones.  325 lbs, experience at NT/DT and has the athletic profile to be a decent pass rusher in addition to stopping the run.  

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Knock it off. Safety is not even in JD’s war chest this draft. He just resigned Joyner and signed Whitehead. And Saleh was grooming Pinnock to play safety last year and he played fairly well. CB is a bigger concern but even that seems to be on the back burner with the signing of Reed. And don’t  we still have the Florida State  safety we drafted last gear that they failed to convert to a hybrid LB Nasradehm? JD has something up his sleeve. Perhaps he’s enamored with one of the top edges, Hutch/Thibs and may trade up. Perhaps not. But safety ain’t happening in this draft unless it’s later in round 5/6. 

You do realize that Whitehead is strictly a box/Strong safety right?

I dont think he will pull the trigger on Hamilton at 4, but if we trade back or if he is available at 10, I can easily see that being the pick as he would be a very strong fit from a skill set standpoint next to Whitehead.  He could play almost exclusively as a centerfielder and would really help the secondary.

Personally I think we can fill other needs in round 1 and would love to pick Jalen Pitre in the second round as our centerfielder, but saying that Lamarcus Joyner is going to allow us to pass on safety in the draft doesnt seem right to me.