If its good enough for Kotite, its good enough for me.

The second contract price for edges and receivers are out of control.  
Wd need to double dip both positions every year. 
Not saying first rounders, but two every year to create a pipeline. 

Dammit we’ll never win the salary cap title if we draft good WR’s or edge rushers!! I think we should trade 4 and 10 for the entire 7th round. Sad part is if we did that we’d still become a much better team than we are right now.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Thumb Down 1

43 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

1996 NFL draft

round 1 - keyshawn Wr

round 2 - alex van dyke Wr

even with the number 1 overall pick invested at WR we double dipped. Where was the outrage then? Run it back

we probably didnt have two TE covered plus Corey Davis and E Moore. I dont know if it is outrageus to double dip in the first round, its just stupid. Now if you are saying 1 in each round., that seems perfectly acceptable, so many WR are studs in the 2nd round. Hell if you can make a good argument of two edge round 1 and 2 wr in round two im good. But Im not sure how you can use the 10th pick not on WR...

CB LB etc are stupid picks at 10 so if you found somehow to make picks not WR iin round,  one I love double dip in round two, jsut not both in round one and i really hate if we dont take our best edge pick at 4.

1 hour ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

1996 NFL draft

round 1 - keyshawn Wr

even with the number 1 overall pick invested at WR we double dipped. Where was the outrage then? Run it back

Alex Van Dyke in the 2nd instead of Amani Toomer.  Ugh!

image.png.f45db9c4c700ba1a836b47d83ddf9f20.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

1996 NFL draft

round 1 - keyshawn Wr

ARE YOU FÜÇKING KIDDING ME?!?!?

There was TONS of outrage over that double dip. Especially when you had Future HOF FB/JumboRB from Perdue in Mike Alstott sitting right there for you!!!! AND, although a bust, Leland McElroy RB Texas A&M who was highly regarded was also there for the taking. Arz  selected him the next pick

Alex Van Dyke also had that CRUCIAL fumble in the ‘98 AFCCG. HORRIBLE example of double dipping in the draft for a position of need. The 2000 selections of WRs L. Coles (3rd) and Windrell Hayes (5th) would be a less infuriating example. You hit on one and completely whiffed on the other. 

Van Dyke, lol. We also went WR in round 2 after Lam Jones, but I've zero memory of Ralph Clayton. 

A better excuse for taking a WR in round 2, after taking one in round 1, would be Arizona 2003. If they didn't they'd have missed out on Boldin.

Of course, yeah it's easy to say why not skip the doubledip and just take the great one and pass on the relative bust? But I think that's the point; that if it was so easy, even in the 2000s with all the resources available to gauge these prospects, there'd be no need to even try again after round 1.

Round 1 + round 2-4, from 2000 onward (I just thought it'd be interesting):

• Baltimore did round 1 and round 4 last year, two years after drafting WRs in rounds 1 and round 3. In between they drafted another WR in round 3, and the year before those they took a WR with a 4th and a 5th. It would seem it's not as easy as the Steelers make it look.
  • Bengals did round 1 & 3 back in 2000 (and the 3rd rounder was pick #66, barely outside round 2). Best part was they were both out of FSU and both sucked. We took the 3rd FSU WR in that draft & he turned out pretty ok. Honestly at this point I'd welcome him back, even in his mid-40s with a little beer belly.
  • Browns went back to that well 4x in 2016. I forgot all about this one. Rounds 1, 4, 5, 5. And the second of those 5th rounders was the only semi-productive one of the lot. 
  • Denver went WR in rounds 1 & 2 in 2020; I forgot they went WR again after Jeudy. Hasn't exactly panned out so far, but they're both still just 23 this year.
  • Denver also went WR in rounds 1 & 3 some years before: Demaryius Thomas (RIP) & Eric Decker. Not too shabby.
  • Texans 2016 rounds 1 & 3. Fuller might've been something if he could stay on the field. The Braxton Miller experiment didn't work out, though.
  • Jacksonville was 7 draft slots shy of rounds 1-2 with Lee (#39) and Robinson (#61). For a few years it looked like Lee was just about to do something, but never really did. Robinson's been an on & off stud despite being saddled with some pretty bad QBs.
  • Jacksonville again in '04 with a pair of enormous WRs in rounds 1 & 4. Both sucked.
  • LVR went WR in round 1 (1st WR taken) then twice in round 3. Bunch of good WR picks in that draft and they missed 3 out of 3 when factoring in Ruggs killing some poor girl & her dog.
  •  Oakland went WR in rounds 1 & 4 a decade earlier. DHB flirting with 1000 yards once, plus a few seasons from both in the mid-hundreds. Bleh return for a #7 overall pick and a mid-rounder.
  • Over the 9 drafts from 2012-2020 the Bolts have drafted just 2 WRs earlier than round 5: Allen & Williams. Doesn't belong on this list but it just stood out: that's mastering some draft efficiency there.
  • Rams went WR in rounds 1 & 3 in 2013. Both misses, though Austin is still playing. Sort of.
  • Giants rounds 1 & 3 with Nicks & Barden. Nicks was terrific for a bit but faded fast; Barden the Plaxico replacement was a miss. Ramses is a cool first name, though, so he still has that going for him.
  • Steelers rounds 1 & 3/4 twice, in 2006 and 2000. Both times they should've stopped after the first one.
  • 49ers rounds 1 & 3 in 2004. Both were busts with 7 career catches between them. It wasn't all Alex Smith's fault.
  • Ten 2017 rounds 1 & 3. Corey Davis and Taywan Taylor. Meh.
  • 2008 no first rounders but Wash went WR-TE-WR with three 2nd rounders. Both WRs were busts, and the other Fragile Fred was easily the best of the 3. 

So in the 2000s the only team taking WRs with round 1+2 picks were Arizona 2003 and Denver 2020. If you skipped to the end and didn't read it all, gfy.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Rich Kotite is my neighbor… true story.

My first job in NYC was working for a company in the HR dept. and right before I got canned for not having a clue as to what I was doing, we hired his daughter and I entered her paperwork into the system.  It was 1998, so I was feeling no pain when I saw her name and who she was, I knew a SB was waiting for us, next year...

• Haha 1