Compensatory picks

Based on this FA period so far any of the draft experts know if we are going to get any next season? I thought it was calculated on how much a FA at a certain position that we lost signed for Vs if and for how much we signed a replacement , if that’s right shouldn’t we expect picks a higher pick for Foley and maybe lower round picks for crowder and Moses ?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 minutes ago, Death2NE said:

Based on this FA period so far any of the draft experts know if we are going to get any next season? I thought it was calculated on how much a FA at a certain position that we lost signed for Vs if and for how much we signed a replacement , if that’s right shouldn’t we expect picks a higher pick for Foley and maybe lower round picks for crowder and Moses ?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

nope. They're offset by your own FA signings, and we have a bunch

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

To get comp picks you have to lose more or better FAs than you sign.

We're nowhere near that scenario.

I don’t think this is true. We signed 6. Lost 5 I think. Crowder, maye, Davis, fatukasi, Moses. 

LDT and Cole still aren’t signed. If they both do that’s -1. 

im not sure how it works out contract wise, but it might end with a comp pick. Not 100% sure, but it’s possible 

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

I don’t think this is true. We signed 6. Lost 5 I think. Crowder, maye, Davis, fatukasi, Moses. 

LDT and Cole still aren’t signed. If they both do that’s -1. 

im not sure how it works out contract wise, but it might end with a comp pick. Not 100% sure, but it’s possible 

There's a complex formula used to work it out, and not every player qualifies. Guys like LDT, Cole etc, who'll likely sign on small contracts and not see a ton of playing time, will barely register. But our signings are going to be starters, and there's some sizeable money involved. So I still reckon there's zero chance this time around.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

There's a complex formula used to work it out, and not every player qualifies. Guys like LDT, Cole etc, who'll likely sign on small contracts and not see a ton of playing time, will barely register. But our signings are going to be starters, and there's some sizeable money involved. So I still reckon there's zero chance this time around.

Yea I know not everyone qualifies, but both of them should be around 5 mil. Is that enough to qualify? I have no idea. I don’t think starters vs non starters matter. The contracts are all backloaded also which I’m not sure if it matters if they are being paid very little this year. 

it’s all so confusing ha 

6 hours ago, Bronx said:

Comp picks are stupid, they keep feeding the best teams.

Yup.  Between comp picks and free agency, things are skewed toward the better teams.  Only thing bad teams have going for them is high draft picks and it takes several years to draft yourself out of sucktitude or to use picks as trade capital to give you the right to pay top dollar for a star in his prime.

The NFL claims to be about parity, but it really isn't.

The comp system is designed to help small market teams that do everything right, yet can't retain their home grown talent.  And it works in principle.  However the reality of the NFL is that teams rarely get a perfect coaching/GM team, and when things go south, pressure to make changes gets so large that invariably something gives.  This leads to a lot of player churn, disfavors consistency and continuity and makes it so that most teams have to participate in FA every single year.

14 minutes ago, Hael said:

The comp system is designed to help small market teams that do everything right, yet can't retain their home grown talent.  And it works in principle.  However the reality of the NFL is that teams rarely get a perfect coaching/GM team, and when things go south, pressure to make changes gets so large that invariably something gives.  This leads to a lot of player churn, disfavors consistency and continuity and makes it so that most teams have to participate in FA every single year.

Idk about small market teams or whatever, but most of the great teams from the salary cap era aren’t big market teams. Patriots, Steelers, packers have all been continually successful. Big market teams like the jets, giants, chargers, etc haven’t done very well minus a few seasons here and there 

Yea I know not everyone qualifies, but both of them should be around 5 mil. Is that enough to qualify? I have no idea. I don’t think starters vs non starters matter. The contracts are all backloaded also which I’m not sure if it matters if they are being paid very little this year. 

it’s all so confusing ha 
There something in the process that basically means they have to be among the top 35% highest paid players at their position.

Overall, there are only 32 comp picks available every year, and only the "most worthy" teams get them. So even if you lose more than you gain, you may still get nothing if what you lose are a bunch of JAGs.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Compensatory picks are not a good thing.  I wish they would get rid of them.

One of the worst things the NFL has ever done. Keeps the rich, rich and the poor , poor as far as talent. 

It really HAS to go. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Idk about small market teams or whatever, but most of the great teams from the salary cap era aren’t big market teams. Patriots, Steelers, packers have all been continually successful. Big market teams like the jets, giants, chargers, etc haven’t done very well minus a few seasons here and there 

Oddly, most of the best teams have smart ownership and are well managed and well structured. 

• Sympathy 1