Jets have 2nd most draft capital in NFL since 1999….High end capital better than 2000 Jets draft

Woke up early today and for some reason started wondering about the Jets draft haul this year and historical comparison.  I was able to find the information below which charts everything since 1999.  The Jets this year have the 2nd most capital over that time period.  

In addition, the Jets top 4 picks in this draft offer more “trade chart” value than the historic Jets 2000 with 4 first rounders. Whether you directly attribute the success to that 2000 draft or not, it did kick off arguably the most competitive decade in franchise history.

In short, we’ve been twisting in the wind forever.  The next 2 months will be the catalyst if we are going to turn it around any time soon.  I think we will do so and be a competitive team again very soon.  I’m a cockeyed optimist though.  One way or another, I’m invested in the Jets right now as much as I can recall in quite sometime.  Hope can do that to a guy.  Hopefully they capitalize on this chance.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

It’s all well and good to have this much draft capital but it really isn’t worth anything as of this moment  It’s what JD does with it then it will reveal its true value. Make or break year for JD is a huge understatement. This coming from a person who is very supportive of how JD is going about his business 

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Rams and Jets on opposite ends of the spectrum 

hmmm

Yes, but the 14 and 15 drafts were key in turning the Rams abysmal run around.  Donald, Gurley, Haverstein, Lamarcus Joyner.  Those were all key players for them that allowed them to be competitive, then they kept building from there.

• Upvote 2

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Yes, but the 14 and 15 drafts were key in turning the Rams abysmal run around.  Donald, Gurley, Haverstein, Lamarcus Joyner.  Those were all key players for them that allowed them to be competitive, then they kept building from there.

We keep picking in the top 5. The idea is to have a lot of cap space and picks once, and then improve, not year after year. 

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Too bad this draft stinks.  It's ridiculous how much better the top 20 was last year vs this year.

Just gonna have to draft a bunch of guys, hope some of them become foundational dudes, then swing for the fences in free agency next year. 

• Upvote 2