NFL Network releases a new Mock Draft that is very interesting.

Saturday afternoon NFL Network released a new Mock Draft from Chad Reuter. Usually I file these things under FWIW (and it usually isn't much) but this one is intriguing. It has 5 Trades and the Jets are smack in the middle of them. They include a trade down in the middle of Round 1 and a Trade up in to the bottom of Round 1 from pick 35 by throwing in one of the Jets 4th round picks to land Pick 27 in the First Round. Here is how it all shakes out for the Jets

Round 1

Pick No 04          Travon Walker     Edge

Pick No 15          Sauce Gardner    CB (from the trade with Philly)

Pick No 27          Chris Olave         WR (from the trade with Tampa)

Round 2

Pick No 38          Breece Hall         RB

Round 3

Pick No 69         Chad Muma        LB

Pick No 83         Marquis Hayes   OG  (from the trade with Philly)

Round 4

Pick No 111      Coby Bryant        CB

Plus 3 Draft Picks in Round 5 - This Mock only goes 4 Rounds

Here is my take. The First round for the Jets is spectacular but very risky. Expecting Sauce to slide to 15 is to say the least very optimistic.. As to drafting Olave at 27 that is also optimistic. The Packers could easily take Olave at 22. It's interesting that Reuter has the Packers taking Treylon Burks with the 28th pick. I would be happy with either Olave or Burks for very different reasons. Burks can lay a lick, Olave can rip the top off opposing Defenses.

For Round 2 this is where this mock goes off the rails. People sing the praises of Breece Hall but I see Tyler Algeier in the 3rd as better value. What little Algeier lacks in talent is more than made up for with his familiarity with Zach and the BYU playbook. Drafting Hall is akin to stating that Michael Carter isn't good enough and needs to be replaced. Drafting Algeier is saying we need to have Algeier to give Carter a blow. The Round 2 pick is better spent on taking a Tight-End. In 2 years one of the two guys the Jets signed as TE in Free Agency will be gone his replacement needs to be drafted this year in rounds 2 through 4. The Jets also have to Draft a replacement for Foley Fatukasi at DT. Then they can think about a Linebacker.

Coby Bryant is unnecessary the Jets Cornerback room is loaded now that they have Sauce.

As to the 3 Fifth Round Picks that would be the place to load up on Offensive Linemen with emphasis on a Center.

https://www.nfl.com/news/four-round-2022-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-qbs-malik-willis-kenny-pickett-go-top-three

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Kayvon Thibodeaux scares me and Sauce isn't making it to ten. I honestly hope Thibodeaux goes top 3 and we trade #4 because of QB mania. Wishful thinking but it is nice to dream.

It sounds like Willis has flown up the board. There is serious talk about Detroit taking him at no 2 and if they change their mind Carolina will be waiting for him at 6. If he is gone by time Carolina comes up 6 Pickett is sure to go there. This is clearly Panic Buying. And the calendar hasn't turned over to April yet, If Trent Balkee knew what he was doing he would be auctioning off the no 1. He could probably a King's Ransom for it.

First 4 picks would definitely contribute to the Jets winning Football games but I dont think this is realistic and moving down 5 spots for a 3rd and a 5th doesnt seem like a great deal. 

3 QB's in the top 6 is not happening, 5 in the top 15, is not happening.  Subsequently, Garnder at 15, is not happening.  Maybe Stingley does for some unknown reason go above him but not in this fashion. 

I dont hate the idea of trading up into the 1st to get their favorite WR.  Watson and Dotson would nice prizes for standing your ground but I love Olave and if they decided to do this, it would be exciting to add a 1st round WR for the first time since, who?  Santana Moss? 

The Hall pick is interesting.  I dont think it's necessary, at all but what's the plan if you do take him that high?  Is Hall the first option and then Carter?  Seems like a frivolous pick for a team like the Jets in that situation but I wouldnt be pissed if it happened because I do think he's the bset RB in the draft. I'd just be skeptical it would be the best use of the pick.  Not sure Dean or Cine or Brisker isnt the better value there. 

• Upvote 2

As others said Sauce is not lasting to 15 and Olave will not last to the pick they have him here. I do not want thibs based on what i have seen him. I would not be shocked if we picked OL at 4 if best available

6 hours ago, WestCoastMole said:

In this Mock Thibs is still on the board when the Jets come up at 4. I'd be just fine with either player.

I’m not the biggest college guy but nothing he does sticks out to me. His stats are extremely underwhelming. I just don’t see the hype. A top 5 pick? Absolutely not. 

• Upvote 2

Ignoring whether this draft is realistic, I think this draft will get the Jets at least an additional 2 wins.   It helps the Jets run the ball, attack the defense deep (to balance the TEs), rush the passer (trust JD to pick the better of Thib or Walker) and defend the run/cover the TE.  

• Upvote 1

A few thoughts here.......1) Think we have 2 edge guys we would take at #4. If Walker one of two, fine. If both are gone , and we go OL, Cross will be the pick. 2) don't mind the compensation for #10 at all, as long as #15 is used on a WR. Gives us flexibility to move up, or an additional 3rd and 5th for a total of 9 picks in rds 2-5, which many feel is the sweet spot of this draft. 3)  let's be serious, in what f*cking universe are Ridder and Howell 1st rd picks, and guys who people would actually trade up for?

I swear, what do people not understand.........

This league is all about the offense now. 

Spending those 1st rd picks on defense is effing ridiculous. 

Know what they should do? WR at 4 and Oline at 10, trade Becton. RB and TE in rd 2.

Then we would have a team. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, WestCoastMole said:

Given the substantial number of holes that still exist on the team Drafting O Lineman in the First Round for depth is just plain whacky. Given that Fant and Bechton are solid talent drafting reserves should be done in the 4th and 5th rounds.

I keep hearing this point and here’s my counter. The only position that would truly shock me drafting in rd 1 is QB and RB. Everything else can be rationalized.

With regards to tackle, we have 1 guy that’s on the last year of his contract. His BEST year was slightly above average, let’s not make him out to be D’brick. We have another guy who has question marks galore in terms of health and commitment. The worst thing we can do going into next year is hand Zach another shaky oline.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I keep hearing this point and here’s my counter. The only position that would truly shock me drafting in rd 1 is QB and RB. Everything else can be rationalized.

With regards to tackle, we have 1 guy that’s on the last year of his contract. His BEST year was slightly above average, let’s not make him out to be D’brick. We have another guy who has question marks galore in terms of health and commitment. The worst thing we can do going into next year is hand Zach another shaky oline.

Plus the other issue douglas may have is that if he can’t trade out of 4, the highest rated player by far could well be an OL.  Douglas may not be willing to reach for an edge at 4 if he could have what he considers to be a stud OL who could be an all pro.  One scenario has to be taking an OT at 4, taking best edge at 10 and then figuring out whether it’s worth trading up for a wr.

• Sympathy 1

Given the substantial number of holes that still exist on the team Drafting O Lineman in the First Round for depth is just plain whacky. Given that Fant and Bechton are solid talent drafting reserves should be done in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Becton can’t stay on the field and already lost his starting job at LT. He’s nothing to count on, but I agree I’d hate to see JD fixing his mistake from two years ago with a first rounder again.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, WestCoastMole said:

Normally I would agree with this take except Bechton played one game last year.  He's a very big man that hasn't shown the ability to get back on the field.