NFL Network releases a new Mock Draft that is very interesting.

7 hours ago, WestCoastMole said:

Given the substantial number of holes that still exist on the team Drafting O Lineman in the First Round for depth is just plain whacky. Given that Fant and Bechton are solid talent drafting reserves should be done in the 4th and 5th rounds.

It's not depth when it comes to OT, it's legit insurance given the Jets precarious situation.  If the Jets didn't have Morgan Moses last year they would have set back Zach Wilson's development even further than it was given the other missing pieces.  Fant has 1 season left, Becton has played in 15 of the Jets 33 games the past two years.  You don't need Tyreek Hill if your QB is on his back staring up at the sky.

The Jets seemed solid last year going into the season with Becton, Fant and Moses.  1 is now gone, 1 is on the final year of his contract, 1 is a legitimate availability risk every week.

All I'm saying is that OT is legitimately in-play for the Jets early in this Draft.  The GM's obsession with the position group since the minute he got to the Jets tells us that.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, WestCoastMole said:

Saturday afternoon NFL Network released a new Mock Draft from Chad Reuter. Usually I file these things under FWIW (and it usually isn't much) but this one is intriguing. It has 5 Trades and the Jets are smack in the middle of them. They include a trade down in the middle of Round 1 and a Trade up in to the bottom of Round 1 from pick 35 by throwing in one of the Jets 4th round picks to land Pick 27 in the First Round. Here is how it all shakes out for the Jets

Round 1

Pick No 04          Travon Walker     Edge

Pick No 15          Sauce Gardner    CB (from the trade with Philly)

Pick No 27          Chris Olave         WR (from the trade with Tampa)

Round 2

Pick No 38          Breece Hall         RB

Round 3

Pick No 69         Chad Muma        LB

Pick No 83         Marquis Hayes   OG  (from the trade with Philly)

Round 4

Pick No 111      Coby Bryant        CB

Plus 3 Draft Picks in Round 5 - This Mock only goes 4 Rounds

Here is my take. The First round for the Jets is spectacular but very risky. Expecting Sauce to slide to 15 is to say the least very optimistic.. As to drafting Olave at 27 that is also optimistic. The Packers could easily take Olave at 22. It's interesting that Reuter has the Packers taking Treylon Burks with the 28th pick. I would be happy with either Olave or Burks for very different reasons. Burks can lay a lick, Olave can rip the top off opposing Defenses.

For Round 2 this is where this mock goes off the rails. People sing the praises of Breece Hall but I see Tyler Algeier in the 3rd as better value. What little Algeier lacks in talent is more than made up for with his familiarity with Zach and the BYU playbook. Drafting Hall is akin to stating that Michael Carter isn't good enough and needs to be replaced. Drafting Algeier is saying we need to have Algeier to give Carter a blow. The Round 2 pick is better spent on taking a Tight-End. In 2 years one of the two guys the Jets signed as TE in Free Agency will be gone his replacement needs to be drafted this year in rounds 2 through 4. The Jets also have to Draft a replacement for Foley Fatukasi at DT. Then they can think about a Linebacker.

Coby Bryant is unnecessary the Jets Cornerback room is loaded now that they have Sauce.

As to the 3 Fifth Round Picks that would be the place to load up on Offensive Linemen with emphasis on a Center.

https://www.nfl.com/news/four-round-2022-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-qbs-malik-willis-kenny-pickett-go-top-three

star-wars-into-the-garbage-chute-flyboy-1.gif.e53cdf0196859e81b80e03b272ae68a5.gif

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

First 4 picks would definitely contribute to the Jets winning Football games but I dont think this is realistic and moving down 5 spots for a 3rd and a 5th doesnt seem like a great deal. 

3 QB's in the top 6 is not happening, 5 in the top 15, is not happening.  Subsequently, Garnder at 15, is not happening.  Maybe Stingley does for some unknown reason go above him but not in this fashion. 

I dont hate the idea of trading up into the 1st to get their favorite WR.  Watson and Dotson would nice prizes for standing your ground but I love Olave and if they decided to do this, it would be exciting to add a 1st round WR for the first time since, who?  Santana Moss? 

The Hall pick is interesting.  I dont think it's necessary, at all but what's the plan if you do take him that high?  Is Hall the first option and then Carter?  Seems like a frivolous pick for a team like the Jets in that situation but I wouldnt be pissed if it happened because I do think he's the bset RB in the draft. I'd just be skeptical it would be the best use of the pick.  Not sure Dean or Cine or Brisker isnt the better value there. 

They’ve invested in the OL, want to support Wilson’s development, and also need to keep the defense off the field more. Carter was a committee back in college and they’re using a committee here. Meaningfully improving the guy who Carter splits time with, and he’s going to be splitting time, is a pretty straightforward way to make the team better and support the young QB. And the committee is great for keeping both backs healthy and fresh. Adding a guy who brings a big play element to the backfield would be huge for the offense as well.

By no means does that have to happen or have to be Hall, but I think there’s a real case to be made that if he didn’t play at Iowa State we’d be hearing a lot more about his production and combine performance. I think he’s a particularly good value in the second round and since I have real questions about this WR class I think he’s got the best chance to be an impact offensive skill position player in this draft. And the Jets could desperately use some skill position talent.

Obviously being a committee backfield reduces the position’s value a little, but also think Hall would benefit from being in a committee. He’s an awesome athlete and does well to avoid big hits instead of lean KD into contact, I think not being worried about 20 touches a game keeps him fresh and let’s him be more explosive. If they utilized kind of a reverse New Orleans model - Kamara is a committee guy but they pair him with a lower back, Carter is obviously a smaller guy and a pass catcher - it could work out well. Think that would be the strategy.

TLDR we know they want to run and are a committee team, good run game helps the developing QB and keeps the defense off the field, the offense needs skill talent, Hall being a first round talent isn’t a stretch, and I think Hall might actually work well as a committee back.

The counter argument of course is that I had to work so hard to make it make sense that it probably doesn’t make sense, haha. But I do think teams often have those very specific kinds of thought process for draft picks, they’re also just never the ones I come up with.

42 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's not depth when it comes to OT, it's legit insurance given the Jets precarious situation.  If the Jets didn't have Morgan Moses last year they would have set back Zach Wilson's development even further than it was given the other missing pieces.  Fant has 1 season left, Becton has played in 15 of the Jets 33 games the past two years.  You don't need Tyreek Hill if your QB is on his back staring up at the sky.

The Jets seemed solid last year going into the season with Becton, Fant and Moses.  1 is now gone, 1 is on the final year of his contract, 1 is a legitimate availability risk every week.

All I'm saying is that OT is legitimately in-play for the Jets early in this Draft.  The GM's obsession with the position group since the minute he got to the Jets tells us that.

I think you're maybe right. I think we underestimate the value that JD puts on OTs. Even if he has a workable line, I think he puts it as a position-of-need above others. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Nobody disagrees on the OL situation. They need another OT. But using a high first round pick on a guy that the Jets hope will be a backup or a potential 2023 starter  is dumb.

if they like Fant, extend the guy already. Becton is a question mark, but as of today he’s a question mark at RT. Draft a tackle in the 3rd or 4th as insurance, extend Fant, and we’re covered for 2022 and beyond.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Nobody disagrees on the OL situation. They need another OT. But using a high first round pick on a guy that the Jets hope will be a backup or a potential 2023 starter  is dumb.

if they like Fant, extend the guy already. Becton is a question mark, but as of today he’s a question mark at RT. Draft a tackle in the 3rd or 4th as insurance, extend Fant, and we’re covered for 2022 and beyond.

The Jets have 2 4th Round picks and 2 5th Round Picks that's where they should be drafting for depth.

I’m sorry, but a GM that fails at picking players doesn’t get to keep using first round picks at the position until he gets it right. If Morgan Moses is what was the solution last year then he should still be here as insurance, not another 1st round pick. This is yet another in a long line of incompetent mishaps by Douglas that fans seem to think is perfectly fine since he’s balancing checkbooks and managing cap space so well.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Sauce slipping to 15 is not realistic.   

IMO if Jets traded back to 15...I would've thought they would address WR there.  Drake London or maybe Jameson Williams...if still available.  Or draft Jermaine Johnson...if available.  The Edge-WR positions are the biggest holes to fill. 

I would think both Packers and Chiefs will draft WR in 1st round.  So whether it's to pick Olave or someone else...Jets trading back into 1st round to get a wideout is realistic.  

Taking two corners as opposed to just one corner doesn't make sense.   A Defensive tackle is needed and Safety depth too.  I take Devante Wyatt in the 2nd whenever he's available. 

I see mocks with Travon Walker taken in top 10.  And I've drafted him there too.

I always pick Breece Hall if available...and sometimes Chuma...in 2nd round.   

The Jets will need at least 3 OT who can start this year.  No way should anyone expect Becton to be healthy for a full year, and even Fant has been dinged up....he missed a couple of games last year.  McDermott and Edoga are trash...3rd stringers at best.

They need to draft a young swing tackle who can start some games in year one.  Now, do they have to do this in the 1st round?  No....but I'd say they should grab one before the end of the 2nd.

The Jets will need at least 3 OT who can start this year.  No way should anyone expect Becton to be healthy for a full year, and even Fant has been dinged up....he missed a couple of games last year.  McDermott and Edoga are trash...3rd stringers at best.
They need to draft a young swing tackle who can start some games in year one.  Now, do they have to do this in the 1st round?  No....but I'd say they should grab one before the end of the 2nd.

They had this in Moses already and they let him walk for pretty much peanuts. Now we’re talking about throwing more draft picks at the failed Becton experiment?? How is this remotely acceptable?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

omg i cant believe so many still want an OL in rd 1. 

your not trading Becton after just 2 years. and if you do what do you think your getting for him? not a 1st or 2nd rd pick. not for a guy who you declared a bust after 2 years. we have to give him another year. 

right now we have a better OL then 3/4 of the league even without Becton. teams are winning with much less. if Zach cant win with this OL then he is not a NFL QB.

with teams cant win without are weapons. after our starting 3 WRs we have Mims. we need better and shouldn't kick that can down to rd 2. WR should be a 1st rd pick. 

on a 4 win team you should never pick a backup OL in the first 2 rounds. there are many spots all over where a guy can come in and start right now. how about on the worst defense in NFL history.? 

does anyone pay attention to the rest of the league? nobody wins anymore with 1st rd picks on the OL. and i challenge anyone to prove me wrong. and its not a coincidence either, its common sense.

defenses can scheme and send free runners to get to a QB. doesn't matter how many 1st rd picks are on it they find a way. but WRs who can get open and defense help a QB more. yes defense.

we were last in rushing attempts last year yet were 11th in YPC with 4.4. that's pretty good but we never ran it cause we were always behind. a defense that can make stops and keep us in the game helps the offense. 

and with the price of QBs and now WRs you just cant pay big money on the OL for 2 guys. 

look what happened in KC. there paying 2 guys 16 mil each. but Brown just got his extension last month. if Adams signs his deal before then Brown is not a Chief. 

Remember GB had the money, but Adams wanted out. KC didnt have the money and Hill wanted money. if you had your choice of Brown or Hill i would pick Hill in a heartbeat. Brown could have been replaced by a 2nd or 3rd rd pick.

if Zach is good then he has to get big money. and most likely a WR helped him so that guy gets big money too. there is not going to be money to pay 2 OL 30- 40 mil. and if you draft a OL at 4 he better be so Damm good that he demands being the highest paid OL in the league. which right now is about 23-24 mil. and AVT is going to make, what? 20 mil maybe? there is no way you can pay these guys. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, WestCoastMole said:

Saturday afternoon NFL Network released a new Mock Draft from Chad Reuter. Usually I file these things under FWIW (and it usually isn't much) but this one is intriguing. It has 5 Trades and the Jets are smack in the middle of them. They include a trade down in the middle of Round 1 and a Trade up in to the bottom of Round 1 from pick 35 by throwing in one of the Jets 4th round picks to land Pick 27 in the First Round. Here is how it all shakes out for the Jets

Round 1

Pick No 04          Travon Walker     Edge

Pick No 15          Sauce Gardner    CB (from the trade with Philly)

Pick No 27          Chris Olave         WR (from the trade with Tampa)

Round 2

Pick No 38          Breece Hall         RB

Round 3

Pick No 69         Chad Muma        LB

Pick No 83         Marquis Hayes   OG  (from the trade with Philly)

Round 4

Pick No 111      Coby Bryant        CB

Plus 3 Draft Picks in Round 5 - This Mock only goes 4 Rounds

Here is my take. The First round for the Jets is spectacular but very risky. Expecting Sauce to slide to 15 is to say the least very optimistic.. As to drafting Olave at 27 that is also optimistic. The Packers could easily take Olave at 22. It's interesting that Reuter has the Packers taking Treylon Burks with the 28th pick. I would be happy with either Olave or Burks for very different reasons. Burks can lay a lick, Olave can rip the top off opposing Defenses.

For Round 2 this is where this mock goes off the rails. People sing the praises of Breece Hall but I see Tyler Algeier in the 3rd as better value. What little Algeier lacks in talent is more than made up for with his familiarity with Zach and the BYU playbook. Drafting Hall is akin to stating that Michael Carter isn't good enough and needs to be replaced. Drafting Algeier is saying we need to have Algeier to give Carter a blow. The Round 2 pick is better spent on taking a Tight-End. In 2 years one of the two guys the Jets signed as TE in Free Agency will be gone his replacement needs to be drafted this year in rounds 2 through 4. The Jets also have to Draft a replacement for Foley Fatukasi at DT. Then they can think about a Linebacker.

Coby Bryant is unnecessary the Jets Cornerback room is loaded now that they have Sauce.

As to the 3 Fifth Round Picks that would be the place to load up on Offensive Linemen with emphasis on a Center.

https://www.nfl.com/news/four-round-2022-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-qbs-malik-willis-kenny-pickett-go-top-three

?...???

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2022 at 2:42 AM, WestCoastMole said:

That's my opinion also. The Jets will have a tough decision to make at pick 4.

Stir the Sauce at 4. If Thibs is there then you take Thibs and don’t look back. Maybe , probably not, Sauce may be there at 10. If not, trade back and get an extra pick. Take a LB Lloyd/Dean or cb McDuffie. Lot of good choices can be there if we trade back - Burks, Linderboom, Etc 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I am not sure any of the Top 8 receivers reach 35. There are a lot of teams that are almost locks to take receiver. Burks

I don't like him he tested slow, weak and he can't jump.

I haven't seen a complete game but from what I hear Burks

finishes many plays running out of bounds. My preference

is the two Ohio State or Bama receivers, Metchie lower down.

Olave reminds me of Marvin Harrison blistering fast, great route 

runner and acrobatic. His official time is bvllsh*t he retired the night

after being told he had run a 4.26. If height, speed and jumps is

your deal I give you Christian Watson. Dr. Watson 6'4 1/8th''

with long arms ran a 4.36 forty, 1.45 ten. Jumped 38 1/2'' in

the vert, 11'4'' in the broad, besides being a pre-eminent deep threat

was an All American kick returner at 6'4'' plus

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Connor Rodgers thinks if the Jets go Edge it will be Jermaine Johnson or Thibs, not Walker.  He also thinks there’s a strong chance the Jets go with Ikem at #4.

That would make a lot more sense if they didn't just sign LT.  Is Becton or Fant on the block then?  How can he use the number 4 pick for depth regardless of the player's potential?