Jump to content

The Jets must draft a defensive tackle to replace Fatukasi in this years draft.


Alka
 Share

Recommended Posts

As we all know, the Jets employ a 4-3 defense, and for that to work, we need to put pressure on the QB, as well as clogging up the middle.  The Jets must draft a defensive tackle, because as it stands right now, we don't have one to replace Fatukasi.

Sure, we have Rankins, who if he stays healthy, is a good player to rotate in and out of the lineup.  We resigned Shephard, who is a legitimate backup and rotational player.  We have Marshall, who was a rookie last season, and still unproven in my mind.  But we need that stud in the middle of the defense to play along side Quinen Williams.

Franklin Myers is considered a tweeter, and his official position is left defensive end.  

So, who is that player who we can feel comfortable with to start alongside Quinnen Williams?  The answer is "we don't have anyone".

The Jets might need a starting defensive tackle as much as they need an edge rusher at this point.  Consider that Carl Lawson is coming back healthy (we hope), we have Franklin Myers that we paid handsomely during the season, we still have Zuniga (unproven), and we signed an edge rusher that we hope will do some things this year.

Tell me I'm wrong!!

  • Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They will play JFM inside a lot more if they Draft a true 4-3 edge to go along with Lawson, Huff, Trouba, etc.

I also think a DT is in the cards this Draft but probably not before Day 3.  Big, run-stuffing DTs who don't really rush the passer are found in those later rounds.  We'll find one in the same vicinity of where we got Foley, Jason Ferguson, etc.  He'll be in the mix with QW, JFM, Marshall, Rankins (maybe), Shepherd (who the Jets re-signed).

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Need a fatty Run Stuffer? 5th round is the "sweet spot".

 

13. LSU image Neil Farrell Jr., DT, LSU

Height: 6-4. Weight: 338. Arm: 32.25. Hand: 10.13.

Official 40 Time: 5.41.

Projected Round (2022): 4-6

 

View Ranking History

3/26/22: Farrell notched 45 tackles, two sacks and two passes batted in 2021.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we need to draft a run stopper high in the draft to replace a run stuffer we drafted in the 6th round.. and didn’t do a good job stopping the run in Saleh’s system.

No doubt they’ll draft a DT somewhere since Saleh needs 18 DL but when they draft an edge high and JFM bounces inside that gives you a decent starting lineup of 1st rounder/ JFM/ Q/ Lawson

  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Best athletic score of any DT ever but yeah thanks for the hot take 😂😂😂

They've spent about 6 first rounders on "Best DT Evarrrrr" in the past 20 years. Stop it. We were told the same sh*t about Williams and Quinnen. 

 

Drafting a DT in the first round the year after drafting a raw QB literally got our last GM sh*tcanned.

Because it's stupid.

 

But I'M the one with the "Hot Take"....?

 

200-3.gif.5598b1bfe03a055ab65f4c23b09d78b4.gif

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Need a fatty Run Stuffer? 5th round is the "sweet spot".

 

13. LSU image Neil Farrell Jr., DT, LSU

Height: 6-4. Weight: 338. Arm: 32.25. Hand: 10.13.

Official 40 Time: 5.41.

Projected Round (2022): 4-6

 

View Ranking History

3/26/22: Farrell notched 45 tackles, two sacks and two passes batted in 2021.

Davis had his best season as a Senior with 32 tackles, 2 sacks as well as a 1 yard rushing touchdown against Charleston Southern

 

Hmm. Draft the one guy at 10, or the other in the 4th-5th round for essentially the same production in the same conference.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The guy that needs replacement is QW because he is a lazy bum.

His lack of hustle is a metastatic cancer to a defense that is supposed to

be all gas. Watch the top DTs Donald, Buckner, Heywood, they all play

harder than him.  The last time I brought this  up Nania countered with

some stats. Though his numbers were mid season they remained the same

at seasons end. The already vacationing Williams put it into further snooze

mode. Nathan Shepherd, Phillips, Rankins, the DL Saleh loved who is no longer

on the team all played harder than him. The lazy bastid has admitted at times

through the season he has to do more. My advice to him as a Jets fan since

the teams inception 62 years ago, get off your fat a$$ and start moving, hopefully

out of Jersey

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hmhertz said:

The guy that needs replacement is QW because he is a lazy bum.

His lack of hustle is a metastatic cancer to a defense that is supposed to

be all gas. Watch the top DTs Donald, Buckner, Heywood, they all play

harder than him.  The last time I brought this  up Nania countered with

some stats. Though his numbers were mid season they remained the same

at seasons end. The already vacationing Williams put it into further snooze

mode. Nathan Shepherd, Phillips, Rankins, the DL Saleh loved who is no longer

on the team all played harder than him. The lazy bastid has admitted at times

through the season he has to do more. My advice to him as a Jets fan since

the teams inception 62 years ago, get off your fat a$$ and start moving, hopefully

out of Jersey

 

Nania is a pom pom waving child. 

 

Why is your posting.

 

Written in a strange format.

 

It is hard to read. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

The guy that needs replacement is QW because he is a lazy bum.

His lack of hustle is a metastatic cancer to a defense that is supposed to

be all gas. Watch the top DTs Donald, Buckner, Heywood, they all play

harder than him.  The last time I brought this  up Nania countered with

some stats. Though his numbers were mid season they remained the same

at seasons end. The already vacationing Williams put it into further snooze

mode. Nathan Shepherd, Phillips, Rankins, the DL Saleh loved who is no longer

on the team all played harder than him. The lazy bastid has admitted at times

through the season he has to do more. My advice to him as a Jets fan since

the teams inception 62 years ago, get off your fat a$$ and start moving, hopefully

out of Jersey

 

Wasn't he the guy after the season that tweeted something about how good he was going to be next year?  When things don't count, that's when our guys puff out their chests.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wasn't he the guy after the season that tweeted something about how good he was going to be next year?  When things don't count, that's when our guys puff out their chests.  

Yep. 

 

"Look ya'll,  I pretty much mailed this sh*t in this year...but Look out! Next year, I'm gonna try REAL hard!!"

Followed by 22 hashtags....

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I genuinely think that the Jets kicking JFM inside more often is a realistic possibility. The 49ers defense took off last season when they kicked Arik Armstead - who played JFM’s role - inside more. A JFM-Williams front is more disruptive than Fatukasi-Williams and that’s what they want inside.

The trick is, I don’t know if they completely punt on JFM’s role of being able to eat up blockers at DE which is intentional in the scheme. The 49ers have Bosa who can hold up there and rush the passer and I think flipped him to that role, natural because defenses need to give him attention, while putting more traditional pure speed edge guys across from him. I don’t know if Lawson’s set up to do that even if he and Bosa have similar size.

Long story short, they could move JFM inside but they still may want a non pure pass rushing DE in that role. It’s why I think they might want Walker, who projects to be able to hold up with multiple blockers and set a good edge but has the physical tools to be an elite pass rusher. It’s only a pick you make if they think they can develop the elite physical tools, but teams always think they can develop elite tools and they’re actually important for pass rushers. Not taking away from there being risk to Walker, though I think he’s a very good prospect, but just trying to look at it from the perspective they will.

I’m still bracing myself for them to draft a defensive tackle. Davis is a freak athlete at least, they’d need to convince themselves he can develop as a pass rusher because of that. I think it’s a stretch personally but I could also easily see that happening. I’d be far happier with another DT in the second, but SF drafted DT’s and bigger edge players relentlessly and Douglas believes in the trenches on both sides. I want a pure edge rusher but if they don’t see that guy, or even if they do but they’ve already taken an edge guy…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, derp said:

I genuinely think that the Jets kicking JFM inside more often is a realistic possibility. The 49ers defense took off last season when they kicked Arik Armstead - who played JFM’s role - inside more. A JFM-Williams front is more disruptive than Fatukasi-Williams and that’s what they want inside.

The trick is, I don’t know if they completely punt on JFM’s role of being able to eat up blockers at DE which is intentional in the scheme. The 49ers have Bosa who can hold up there and rush the passer and I think flipped him to that role, natural because defenses need to give him attention, while putting more traditional pure speed edge guys across from him. I don’t know if Lawson’s set up to do that even if he and Bosa have similar size.

Long story short, they could move JFM inside but they still may want a non pure pass rushing DE in that role. It’s why I think they might want Walker, who projects to be able to hold up with multiple blockers and set a good edge but has the physical tools to be an elite pass rusher. It’s only a pick you make if they think they can develop the elite physical tools, but teams always think they can develop elite tools and they’re actually important for pass rushers. Not taking away from there being risk to Walker, though I think he’s a very good prospect, but just trying to look at it from the perspective they will.

I’m still bracing myself for them to draft a defensive tackle. Davis is a freak athlete at least, they’d need to convince themselves he can develop as a pass rusher because of that. I think it’s a stretch personally but I could also easily see that happening. I’d be far happier with another DT in the second, but SF drafted DT’s and bigger edge players relentlessly and Douglas believes in the trenches on both sides. I want a pure edge rusher but if they don’t see that guy, or even if they do but they’ve already taken an edge guy…

If they draft a DT in the first round, my Television is in grave danger.

 

If they go Hamilton/Davis, FLORIDA is in grave danger. 😆 

SmoothSpectacularBison-max-1mb.gif.476307165edae796a120dde84c5f2693.gif

  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

If they draft a DT in the first round, my Television is in grave danger.

 

If they go Hamilton/Davis, FLORIDA is in grave danger. 😆 

SmoothSpectacularBison-max-1mb.gif.476307165edae796a120dde84c5f2693.gif

I am beyond tired of defensive tackles in the first round, but it's the pretty obvious route they could take that folks seem to be shutting their eyes and putting their hands over their ears about. Hole they haven't filled in free agency, position the coach's old team drafted in the first round a ton, GM values the front. Hopefully they didn't fill it in FA because they don't value it that much but I'll be disappointed but not surprised if they take it.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, derp said:

I am beyond tired of defensive tackles in the first round, but it's the pretty obvious route they could take that folks seem to be shutting their eyes and putting their hands over their ears about. Hole they haven't filled in free agency, position the coach's old team drafted in the first round a ton, GM values the front. Hopefully they didn't fill it in FA because they don't value it that much but I'll be disappointed but not surprised if they take it.

Im Scared GIF by HULU

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jets fans: “don’t draft a DT!”

also manages to watch Jonathan Taylor or whatever bum running back run for 300 yards on us a game.

my dream scenario for this draft is Thibs and Jordan Davis. That line would be unblockable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DT would be good.  Not in 1st round.

Here's a guy I find interesting.  Logan Hall. 

Tall - 6' 6" and around 285 lbs. with room for another 10 lbs. or so.  He played DT in college and while some feel he may have to kick outside to DE, he's built very similar to DeForest Buckner and he seems to have high upside.  If our coaching staff thinks they can make him work that way, he would be an interesting option.  Projected as a Day 2 guy so if they really like him, he's probably got to go at #38 (or a small trade down).  If they get lucky and he slips to 3rd round and we didn't draft a DT earlier, I think he'd be a great option.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wasn't he the guy after the season that tweeted something about how good he was going to be next year?  When things don't count, that's when our guys puff out their chests.  

You know the rules. You can't criticize a players chest without a picture of your own. 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Jonathan Marshall looked pretty good at the end of the season…

Marshall is a great athlete explosive and strong (shot putter)

but he doesn't anchor down against the run. Certainly more

promising than the All Overrated lazy dope, QW

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wasn't he the guy after the season that tweeted something about how good he was going to be next year?  When things don't count, that's when our guys puff out their chests.  

He gives up going to the ball early in the play. The fat ass has made several admissions

through the year that he has to play harder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...