Off Topic: Will Smith punches Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Maxman

59 mins  ·
Chris Rock may have made a bad joke but his biggest error was in not reading the body language of an enraged Will Smith.
During the slap, Smith has good left hand position. He’s ready to defend a punch or follow up with the left. Smith does have too tall a position that would make his defense much more difficult for a takedown.
This would allow Rock to either preemptively or as the assault begins to shoot under for an easy takedown following up with some ground and pound or a submission. Rock could’ve also easily clinched as well followed by the same sequence.
He could have also fled to go hide behind a security guard. It all starts with awareness.
Overall a really poor performance by Rock.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

If Will Smith thought what Chris Rock said was bad, just wait until this evening when Kimel, Falon, and Colbert get a hold of this. 

I can see a cold open on SNL of Smith at an after party swinging his Oscar at everyone's head saying he was put on this earth to protect this person, and that person, or anyone who has a bad thing said about them in the last decade. Should be good for an entire segment on weekend update as well. 

51 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I live a few blocks from where Rascals (A well known comedy club) was. I have witnessed many people being angry at the fun made about them or a wife, gf and such. I also saw some of them leaving. The second someone strikes another, it is assault. According to the California Penal Code 240 and 242, a victim does NOT have to testy to an assault if witnessed by others in order to be charged with the assault. What Will Smith did is absolutely an assault regardless of how "offended" he was. 

200.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

F TV, F Hollywood,  F gossips, F society, F social media, F politicians,  F news, F plastic surgery,  F divas, F glutinous people, F French fries, F McDonald's and Burger King, F Disney, F ESPN, F AFC East rivals, F lazy people,  F filthy people, F stuck ups, F Ben Roethlisberger and Watson, F cowards, F those cowards again, F racism, F hypocrisy, F bullies, F internet thugs, F greed, F mock drafts..sub please.

Mock Drafts??!!!  You stepped over the line on that one sir!

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Fk7IjqZCQkj6aMnYk=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

So you, see, Chris Rock WAS in fact on both the Grassy Knoll, AND in the vote counting offices throughout the 2020 election......

I mean, I’m joking… but, everything I said is actually true. I don’t think it was staged though. It’s just really easy to take convenient facts and recontextualize them to arrive at a different theory.

• Upvote 1

the conspiracy theory folks are missing several key facts 1) Hollywood/LA abhors all kinds of PvP physical violence, staged or otherwise. It also hates jokes like "GI Jane 2" making fun of a person's medical condition. If it was staged, it was the wrong room for that series of jokes 2) Will Smith spent his entire rapping career not using the F bomb, his entire acting career not using curse words and then he drops 2 fbombs on live TV for a stunt? Does no one realize how hard it was to be a rapper who didn't curse?  

Verdict: NOT FAKE - this looked fake because Smith learned how to throw that punch/slap from a stunt man but Rock wasn't expecting it 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Wow, this is getting a lot of traction.  My only input on this is, I've had a few fights in my day and I've never hit anyone with an open hand...just sayin'.

I think the slap was to try to humiliate him.   I would imagine he would think a punch would be excessive (plus get him into a lot more serious trouble).  

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think the slap was to try to humiliate him.   I would imagine he would think a punch would be excessive (plus get him into a lot more serious trouble).  

Can you imagine of Smith knocked Rock out cold.  On live TV.  Rock just laying in a KO'd heap.

That would be an uncomfortable silence.

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Do you really think his career is at risk now? lol

As a former actor, I know that what he did will harm him at some level.   I never said his career is over or at risk I was referring to the level he was now entering by winning this award, that career.  Slapping an innocent performer will harm him from being firmly encased in the next level.

Smith hurt his brand and that is a fact.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Can you imagine of Smith knocked Rock out cold.  On live TV.  Rock just laying in a KO'd heap.

That would be an uncomfortable silence.

That probably would've been the craziest thing to ever happen on American television. (Certainly up there if not #1).