Off Topic: Will Smith punches Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Maxman

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yes.  Will Smith.  It allows him to re-build his image after crying like a baby on national TV while his wife told the world she'd found a better man.

Dude is a cuck and wants the world to forget about it.

Anyone with a brain, and even if you think Will Smith doesn't have one, he's got tons of people around him who do, would tell him the obvious... That frankly, more people now know about the affair because of reading the backstory about this, and this did nothing to make anyone forget.  Slapping a comedian doesn't rehabilitate anything.

2 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Anyone with a brain, and even if you think Will Smith doesn't have one, he's got tons of people around him who do, would tell him the obvious... That frankly, more people now know about the affair because of reading the backstory about this, and this did nothing to make anyone forget.  Slapping a comedian doesn't rehabilitate anything.

I can confirm that I previously did not know about any affair up until this point, lol.

• Upvote 1

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/chris-rock-stand-up-comedy-ticket-sales-surge-after-will-smith-slap

CHRIS ROCK STAND-UP COMEDY TICKET SALES SURGE AFTER WILL SMITH SLAP

Tickets prices for Rock’s North American tour skyrocketed from a minimum of $46 per ticket on March 18 to a minimum of $341 on secondary market platform TickPick since the Oscars drama.

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

Lol

I see no reason this guy I've never heard of would lie. Seems legit.

That’s why I said “claims “

Its just odd. 

It’s plausible that it was supposed to be a silly funny slap but for whatever reason smith really whacked him?

Rock is standing there with his jaw out, not worried at the big guy whose wife he just insulted walking up on him ?

smith just walks back to his seat ?

you ever see a fight like that ?

Rock didn’t press charges, didn’t talk about it afterwards?

just so strange lol

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Didn’t King Richard bomb? I’m sure more people will be inclined to watch now. 

Budget of $50 mil, earned ~ $38 mil.  Financially, yes, it was a bomb (as have many of Smiths later-era films).

Critically tho, it's won a ton of awards, including best actor.  So beyond financials, it was a big success.

Not every film is designed to be a summer popcorn blockbuster.

Some other films up for Best Picture, Coda cost #$10M, made $1.1M, Power of the Dog cost ~$35M, made less than $500k.

Some films are greenlit just to win awards and lose tons of money, lol. 

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

That’s why I said “claims “

Its just odd. 

It’s plausible that it was supposed to be a silly funny slap but for whatever reason smith really whacked him?

Rock is standing there with his jaw out, not worried at the big guy whose wife he just insulted walking up on him ?

smith just walks back to his seat ?

you ever see a fight like that ?

Rock didn’t press charges, didn’t talk about it afterwards?

just so strange lol

Why the **** would Chris Rock think Will Smith is going to legitimately smack him?

Also, the joke was unscripted. Does that article confirm your bias enough?

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Budget of $50 mil, earned ~ $38 mil.  Financially, yes, it was a bomb (as have many of Smiths later-era films).

Critically tho, it's won a ton of awards, including best actor.  So beyond financials, it was a big success.

Some other films up for Best Picture, Coda cost #$10M, made $1.1M, Power of the Dog cost ~$35M, made less than $500k.

Coda made money for the producers.  Apple TV paid 25 million for it.  You can't base profit or loss on a film based on box office revenue alone.  If Subscription services need programing to get subscribers and are willing to pay for the production the movies are making money. 

Ok. So I watched the zapruder film and spoke to my contacts. 

smith finally apologized to Rock, giving some more weight to the idea that it was just an unhinged moment for him. 

the joke wasn’t on the teleprompter. That probably means Rock was just improvising and didn’t know about the alopecia 

Phew. Ok time to move on 

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Coda made money for the producers.  Apple TV paid 25 million for it.  You can't base profit or loss on a film based on box office revenue alone.  If Subscription services need programing to get subscribers and are willing to pay for the production the movies are making money. 

Fair point, same can be said for Power of the Dog as well.  Streaming has changed the game.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Biggs said:

That number he stated didnt include marketing, which rule of thumb, is usually just about the same amount as the cost of the movie itself. 

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

... so it bombed? Got it. 

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

That number he stated didnt include marketing, which rule of thumb, is usually just about the same amount as the cost of the movie itself. 

It doesn't matter.  If a streaming service that is subscription based is buying content box office isn't relevant.   I believe CODA and many of these other films were purchased by steaming services who are marketing the films.  Basing movie profits on box office today is meaningless, especially if they have been pre-sold to stream. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Biggs said:

It doesn't matter.  If a streaming service that is subscription based is buying content box office isn't relevant.   I believe CODA and many of these other films were purchased by steaming services who are marketing the films.  Basing movie profits on box office today is meaningless, especially if they have been pre-sold to stream. 

There's no point in arguing with people who have an antiquated perspective on publicity and ratings.

Will Smith, 30 years of over managed publicity, never cursed in his rap albums is going to throw that all away for ABC's ratings (in the last hour of the show lol) and for a movie (a critically acclaimed film) that was released months ago.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It is relevant. Very relevant. 

The streaming services dont buy the films until after they are released 90% of the time. The studios who make them front the advertising budget. The marketing for King Richard was absolutely off the chain, it was on damn near every YouTube ad for the better part of a year. 

At absolute BEST the studio broke even, even after the streaming rights were sold. 

Money aside, the box office is a huge indicator of how many people give a sh*t about a movie in general and you can generally infer that there is at least similar interest/lack of for streaming as well. 

21 minutes ago, JTJet said:

the box office is a huge indicator of how many people give a sh*t about a movie in general

Who cares?  A ton of my favorite films were total flops in theatres.  Doesn't make me love them less.  And if good films, from a filmmaking standpoint, doesn't make them bad films.  

I haven't seen King Richard, but it seems to be a very well regarded effort.  I have seen Smith in other films, and he can be a very good actor when he wants.  He was exceptional in The Pursuit of Happyness IMO.  A great film, which also made alot of money in that case.

7 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Who benefits from this being fake, out of curiosity?

Will Smith?  No.

The Oscars?  No.  It wasn't promoted and happened at the end of the night, so didn't add viewers in a meaningful way.

Morning shows?  Maybe?  But, does Smith do this to help out morning talk shows?

King Richard?  Maybe?  Is this a plug for the movie?  Viral marketing?  So, is Smith willing to put himself through this fallout to sell rentals of this film on Amazon and AppleTV?

In any conspiracy theory, it's worth asking why and who benefits.  In this case, I'm struggling to see anyone that would make this worth it.

The Academy would not accept the potential liability 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I read his Instagram apology and while heartfelt I think he'd be better off showing how sorry he is by dedicating himself to slapping awareness and also to the well-being of victims of slapping.

He can start by designing the ribbon ? and being the first to sport it 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Go to Rotten Tomatoes and compare viewer and audience ratings on popular films. Movie Critics are assholes. They're probably also the creators of most Yelp! reviews. 

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Who cares?  A ton of my favorite films were total flops in theatres.  Doesn't make me love them less.  And if good films, from a filmmaking standpoint, doesn't make them bad films.  

I haven't seen King Richard, but it seems to be a very well regarded effort.  I have seen Smith in other films, and he can be a very good actor when he wants.  He was exceptional in The Pursuit of Happyness IMO.  A great film, which also made alot of money in that case.

I would agree that a ton of my fav films flopped in theaters.

But those are our personal opinions. Im talking about the general consensus, of which seems to be that a gigantic swath of people A - Didnt see it, and B - Dont care to see it in the future.