Off Topic: Will Smith punches Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Maxman

14 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Who benefits from this being fake, out of curiosity?

Will Smith?  No.

The Oscars?  No.  It wasn't promoted and happened at the end of the night, so didn't add viewers in a meaningful way.

Morning shows?  Maybe?  But, does Smith do this to help out morning talk shows?

King Richard?  Maybe?  Is this a plug for the movie?  Viral marketing?  So, is Smith willing to put himself through this fallout to sell rentals of this film on Amazon and AppleTV?

In any conspiracy theory, it's worth asking why and who benefits.  In this case, I'm struggling to see anyone that would make this worth it.

I'm definitely not someone who just writes off things as "conspiracy theory" but I definitely the Oscars incident was real (not staged).

5 minutes ago, Awesumtenor said:

It has essentially killed her career, her self-esteem and has her suicidal. As the husband of a woman with alopecia, I can tell you she’d rather have cancer; with cancer at least your hair comes back after chemo. I don’t know if I would have responded like this but I fully understand why he did it. Just laughing it off just might have been the thing to push her off the ledge because that would have reinforced the idea that she is ugly and not worth defending. 

Yeah, I am ignorant on the effects of alopecia, and that may not have been the best take of mine, so thank you for sharing your perspective on this. Perhaps it is tougher to deal with than I gave it credit for, and I guess everybody deals with things differently. Even though I disagree with Smith's actions, I have to admit I really don't know what she is going through.

4 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

Chris Rock thought there was a 0% chance he would legitimately get smacked. How many times has that happened? What you just described? Especially at the ******* Oscars. 

Exactly he probably thought Smith was going to exchange insults or steal his thunder to make Rock look bad. What’s sad is Smith took advantage of Rock being 1/4 his size and tried to humiliate him. Which he did. That’s not happening with let’s say If Eddie Murphy was the MC. It would have been an all out brawl had he tried that sheet. Regardless, Smith ends up humiliating himself and looking like an out of control psycho. His ‘legacy’ is destroyed. His lame azz apology a day late is a joke. He was partying after winning the best actor thinking his actions were justified. Not. If he had any real class, he goes backstage and let’s Rock know not to do it again instead of destroying what could have been one of his greatest night. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Is it the event that is starved for attention or them? Because winning Best Actor and having it overshadowed by looking like a lunatic isn't really the best way to get attention, is it?

And are people who didn't previously tune in really going to tune in to the Oscars next year because of this?  I never watch it and this incident won't increase my chances of watching it next year.  If there are any interesting moments, I'll catch them on YouTube the next day.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Is it the event that is starved for attention or them? Because winning Best Actor and having it overshadowed by looking like a lunatic isn't really the best way to get attention, is it?

It’s a way to get attention. 

Just now, Matt39 said:

It’s a way to get attention. 

He's the biggest movie star on the planet and was going to be the centerpiece of the show anyway. 

And Rock, does he seem like he wants the attention so bad that he will look like a bitch that made fun of a woman with a disease and got his face smacked off doing nothing about it? That kind of attention?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

And are people who didn't previously tune in really going to tune in to the Oscars next year because of this?  I never watch it and this incident won't increase my chances of watching it next year.  If there are any interesting moments, I'll catch them on YouTube the next day.  

No one is watching to see if they up the ante next year and have an actual stabbing on stage.

• Haha 1

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

He's the biggest movie star on the planet and was going to be the centerpiece of the show anyway. 

And Rock, does he seem like he wants the attention so bad that he will look like a bitch that made fun of a woman with a disease and got his face smacked off doing nothing about it? That kind of attention?

Yes. They’re actors. 

1 minute ago, Tranquilo said:

So Chris Rock wants to look like a bitch on the national stage and wants people to think this of him? 

lol. For the 18th time they are actors. They act out scenes. You realize Austin wasn’t actually getting arrested because Vince called the police right?

The media can flap their gums about this for the next week. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Awesumtenor said:

It has essentially killed her career, her self-esteem and has her suicidal. As the husband of a woman with alopecia, I can tell you she’d rather have cancer; with cancer at least your hair comes back after chemo. I don’t know if I would have responded like this but I fully understand why he did it. Just laughing it off just might have been the thing to push her off the ledge because that would have reinforced the idea that she is ugly and not worth defending. 

What ******* planet are you from?  Hair loss is worse than cancer?

Gotta' be a troll.

• Sympathy 5

I can tell you she’d rather have cancer; with cancer at least your hair comes back after chemo.

Even after you die of cancer?

Who the hell thinks losing their hair is worse than dying of cancer?  

People are taking this to ridiculous levels

As would anyone with a brain
As a 2X survivor, its so head numbing its almost funny
As someone that lost his wife to cancer at a young age ... I can tell you that is an an erroneous predilection. Nothing is as bad as the cancer I witnessed.

No. **** no. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

lol. For the 18th time they are actors. They act out scenes. You realize Austin wasn’t actually getting arrested because Vince called the police right?

The media can flap their gums about this for the next week. 

The media is a conspiracy too.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Biggest movie star on the planet? ? The guy who’s your avatar was 100 times the celebrity Smith is. Will Smith isn’t even in the top 50 best actors in Hollywood. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

One day the Will Smith type of nominee will no longer be on this awards show.

Good. Let’s start with Will Smith NOT be invited ever again. Unless he produces and stars in Jackass 5 and gets nominated for best actor. Then I guess you just have to have him back. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Attention starved actors who will do anything for attention put together a WWE style gag on a large stage during an event that has been desperate for attention.  They happened to land on a crappy joke to set it off. 

So you think actors go onto events like the Academy Awards and just do whatever they feel like to feed their attention starved selves and the academy just sits back and chuckles?  That this was Smith and Rock going rogue?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Good. Let’s start with Will Smith NOT be invited ever again. Unless he produces and stars in Jackass 5 and gets nominated for best actor. Then I guess you just have to have him back. 

Having to take a nutshot from Francis Ngannou would actually be a fair sentence tbh

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Having to take a nutshot from Francis Ngannou would actually be a fair sentence tbh

I think one way to put this all to bed would be for Smith to insult Rock’s wife and Rock then slaps the sheet out of Smith at the next awards show. 

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

As someone that lost his wife to cancer at a young age ... I can tell you that is an an erroneous predilection. Nothing is as bad as the cancer I witnessed.

I cant imagine, my heart goes out to you.  It had to test you and your faith like nothing else.'

GB

1 hour ago, Pac said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the people doubting the legitimacy of this incident are similarly outspoken about other, shall we say, notable events the last couple years.

Not sure when or why it happened but this inclination to try and concoct a conspiracy around every big event is more prevalent than ever.  And it's a problem.

BA43C5DD-3D46-4F24-AEEE-8D90368F1694.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the people doubting the legitimacy of this incident are similarly outspoken about other, shall we say, notable events the last couple years.

Not sure when or why it happened but this inclination to try and concoct a conspiracy around every big event is more prevalent than ever.  And it's a problem.

Boy I hope you aren’t saying that questioning things is a problem.  Cuz THAT would be a problem.  The problem is that questions get distorted into and labeled as conspiracies (LOL) in this day and age. As if Will Smith and Chris Rock staging something is so absurd.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with people doubting things.  It’s called coming to your own conclusions, not regurgitating opinions and views seen everywhere else.

A133DA9D-B000-4633-9DA6-AE2B4946263C.jpeg