Off Topic: Will Smith punches Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Maxman

32 minutes ago, Pac said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/will-smith-resigns-from-academy-membership-1235123801/

Will Smith, in the wake of slapping Chris Rock onstage at the Oscars, said Friday that he is resigning from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

In a statement obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, Smith said he was heartbroken and would accept all consequences for his conduct.

“My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable. The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home,” Smith said. “I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken. I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film.”

Earlier this week, the Academy began disciplinary action against Smith after a meeting of its board of governors, and issued a statement saying Smith was asked to leave the show following the slap but that he refused. The statement didn’t provide details, but also acknowledged that the Academy “could have handled the situation differently.”

Rock was presenting best documentary feature at the 2022 Oscars on Sunday when he made a G.I. Jane joke about Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, who has a shaved head (the actress has alopecia). Smith later went on to win the best actor award for his performance in King Richard.

Smith’s resignation means he can no longer vote for the Oscars — but he can still be nominated for future Academy Awards, attend future ceremonies and keep the statue he won. But the Academy’s formal review will continue.

“We have received and accepted Mr. Will Smith’s immediate resignation from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences,” the Academy said in a statement. “We will continue to move forward with our disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith for violations of the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, in advance of our next scheduled board meeting on April 18.”

His "resignation" is nonsense but the statement was pretty good.  I'm sure he hired one of those firms that helps with handling major F ups from celebrities.

ClEaRlY sTiLl FaKe LoL aCtOrS bRo

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/1/2022 at 5:14 AM, Irish Jet said:

Honestly she gets way too much abuse.

Will Smith slept around as well. They seemingly have an open marriage and during this affair as they explain they were essentially separated. For some reason it's still considered more taboo for the woman to do it than men (especially with younger guys) and people just desperately want to shame them both - Jada as a heartless whore and Will as a "cuck". In the video you posted she is clearly pretty uncomfortable talking about it and it's Smith who pushes her to come out with it over and over. 

As for the slap she may be as mortified by it as anyone, but she's hardly going to throw her husband under the bus even if she is. There's some very weird comments in this thread. 

Did you watch the clip?  There was no open marriage. She had an affair. She called it an entanglement but smith pushed the issue and she called it a relationship. Smith then says he's going to get her back. 

@Warfish

Was reading a piece today where Denzel better explains the ‘devil comes you’ thing. Will Smith said something a bit different. He also said he and Perry prayed with him, as that was what Denzel thought the moment called for.

It contextualized it for me, better look for Denzel as he was basically just behaving like an old fart at church.

• Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

@Warfish

Was reading a piece today where Denzel better explains the ‘devil comes you’ thing. Will Smith said something a bit different. He also said he and Perry prayed with him, as that was what Denzel thought the moment called for.

It contextualized it for me, better look for Denzel as he was basically just behaving like an old fart at church.

Can you share that article. Still trying to wrap my head around Denzel, Perry, and Bradley Cooper coming to Will Slapth's aid after the incident. 

On 4/1/2022 at 7:40 PM, Pac said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/will-smith-resigns-from-academy-membership-1235123801/

Will Smith, in the wake of slapping Chris Rock onstage at the Oscars, said Friday that he is resigning from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

In a statement obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, Smith said he was heartbroken and would accept all consequences for his conduct.

“My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable. The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home,” Smith said. “I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken. I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film.”

Earlier this week, the Academy began disciplinary action against Smith after a meeting of its board of governors, and issued a statement saying Smith was asked to leave the show following the slap but that he refused. The statement didn’t provide details, but also acknowledged that the Academy “could have handled the situation differently.”

Rock was presenting best documentary feature at the 2022 Oscars on Sunday when he made a G.I. Jane joke about Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, who has a shaved head (the actress has alopecia). Smith later went on to win the best actor award for his performance in King Richard.

Smith’s resignation means he can no longer vote for the Oscars — but he can still be nominated for future Academy Awards, attend future ceremonies and keep the statue he won. But the Academy’s formal review will continue.

“We have received and accepted Mr. Will Smith’s immediate resignation from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences,” the Academy said in a statement. “We will continue to move forward with our disciplinary proceedings against Mr. Smith for violations of the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, in advance of our next scheduled board meeting on April 18.”

His "resignation" is nonsense but the statement was pretty good.  I'm sure he hired one of those firms that helps with handling major F ups from celebrities.

This is just a fast forward of what was coming. Smith knew at the minimum  he was getting expelled and figured it was better that he resign then get thrown out by the academy. 

4 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Did you watch the clip?  There was no open marriage. She had an affair. She called it an entanglement but smith pushed the issue and she called it a relationship. Smith then says he's going to get her back. 

Read the piece I linked. Smith said that he realised it came across that way on the clip but it wasn't the case.

On 4/1/2022 at 8:13 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

ClEaRlY sTiLl FaKe LoL aCtOrS bRo

won't effect his career in the slightest either..  another feather in the cap of the conspiracy crew.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/netflix-halts-will-smith-movie-fast-and-loose-1234713775/

Report: Netflix Halts Development of Will Smith Movie ‘Fast and Loose’

Will Smith's altercation at the Oscars has stalled the future of several high profile projects.

When Will Smith charged the stage and slapped Chris Rock at the 94th Academy Awards last Sunday, the film world instantly began speculating about how the altercation would affect the star’s career. While Smith received a standing ovation when he won his first Oscar less than an hour later, it was unclear how much studios and fans would embrace future projects Smith was developing.

The first domino to fall was Smith’s membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The Academy acted first, launching a formal review of Smith’s conduct with expulsion from the prestigious organization on the table as a potential consequence. Smith opted to act first, resigning from the Academy before he could be kicked out and stating that he would accept any other future consequences.

Now, The Hollywood Reporter has reported that Netflix is halting development on “Fast and Loose,” a new film that was set to star Smith as a powerful criminal who loses his memory, only to learn that he was living a double life. “Deadpool 2” director David Leitch was attached to helm the project, but he backed out a week before the Oscars, choosing instead to direct Ryan Gosling in “The Fall Guy.” Sources in the story say that Netflix has paused the project and may ultimately scrap it or move forward with a different director and star, but is wary about working with Smith during the fallout from the Oscars.

While this would be the first instance of Smith losing a project due to his conduct at the Oscars, the report suggests that it is unlikely to be the last. A source said that Sony is also pausing development on “Bad Boys 4,” despite Smith receiving 40 pages of a script before the Oscars, and indicated that some of Smith’s other potential projects are likely to meet the same fate.

Smith’s next film is “Emancipation,” a runaway slave thriller from director Antoine Fuqua. The Apple film is currently in post production and was expected to come out later this year, but there is no word on how Smith’s slap has affected those plans. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Pac said:

won't effect his career in the slightest either..  another feather in the cap of the conspiracy crew.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/netflix-halts-will-smith-movie-fast-and-loose-1234713775/

Report: Netflix Halts Development of Will Smith Movie ‘Fast and Loose’

Will Smith's altercation at the Oscars has stalled the future of several high profile projects.

When Will Smith charged the stage and slapped Chris Rock at the 94th Academy Awards last Sunday, the film world instantly began speculating about how the altercation would affect the star’s career. While Smith received a standing ovation when he won his first Oscar less than an hour later, it was unclear how much studios and fans would embrace future projects Smith was developing.

The first domino to fall was Smith’s membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The Academy acted first, launching a formal review of Smith’s conduct with expulsion from the prestigious organization on the table as a potential consequence. Smith opted to act first, resigning from the Academy before he could be kicked out and stating that he would accept any other future consequences.

Now, The Hollywood Reporter has reported that Netflix is halting development on “Fast and Loose,” a new film that was set to star Smith as a powerful criminal who loses his memory, only to learn that he was living a double life. “Deadpool 2” director David Leitch was attached to helm the project, but he backed out a week before the Oscars, choosing instead to direct Ryan Gosling in “The Fall Guy.” Sources in the story say that Netflix has paused the project and may ultimately scrap it or move forward with a different director and star, but is wary about working with Smith during the fallout from the Oscars.

While this would be the first instance of Smith losing a project due to his conduct at the Oscars, the report suggests that it is unlikely to be the last. A source said that Sony is also pausing development on “Bad Boys 4,” despite Smith receiving 40 pages of a script before the Oscars, and indicated that some of Smith’s other potential projects are likely to meet the same fate.

Smith’s next film is “Emancipation,” a runaway slave thriller from director Antoine Fuqua. The Apple film is currently in post production and was expected to come out later this year, but there is no word on how Smith’s slap has affected those plans. 

If his next movie is a Fuqua flick maybe he was promoting a sequel to Training Day with the slap. 

• Haha 3

Smith banned from the Oscars for 10 years.  Lucky us.  

"Will Smith will not be allowed to attend the Academy Awards for the next 10 years, as a result of his slapping comedian Chris Rock on stage during this year's Oscar ceremony, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences announced in a statement obtained by CNN.

"The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards," Academy President David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson said in a statement on Friday.

The decision was made during a Board of Governors meeting held earlier in the day in Los Angeles. The meeting, initially scheduled for April 18, was expedited after Smith announced his resignation from the Academy last week. 

Smith issued a quick, concise statement on his ban from the Oscars for the next decade.

"I accept and respect the Academy's decision," the actor said in a statement to CNN. 

CNN has reached out to Rock's representatives for comment.

The decision came following "tons of debate" on what the consequences of his on-stage slap should be, a board member tells CNN.

The Academy's letter added: "The 94th Oscars were meant to be a celebration of the many individuals in our community who did incredible work this past year; however, those moments were overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behavior we saw Mr. Smith exhibit on stage."

"During our telecast, we did not adequately address the situation in the room," the letter went on to state. "For this, we are sorry. This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers and our Academy family around the world, and we fell short — unprepared for the unprecedented."

The Board of Governors said in a previous statement that they wanted the matter to be "handled in a timely fashion."

Smith's resignation means that he is no longer part of the Academy's voting body, but it does not prevent the Oscar winner from being nominated in the future, a source with knowledge previously told CNN. 

Typically, the previous year's best actor winner presents the current year's best actress award (and the reigning best actress presents to the best actor trophy). With Smith's ban, the Oscars will have to break that tradition."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/08/entertainment/will-smith-academy-sanctions-decision/index.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...