Off Topic: Will Smith punches Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Maxman

1. I think Will Smith laughed it off at first and then his wife must have given him "the look" (if you are married, you know what this is) and then Smith went off on Rock. 

2. Smith must hit like a b!tch because Rock was pretty much unfazed. 

3. I wonder if Smith would have tried the same thing if The Rock made the joke. 

5 minutes ago, maury77 said:

1. I think Will Smith laughed it off at first and then his wife must have given him "the look" (if you are married, you know what this is) and then Smith went off on Rock. 

Will Smith Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, maury77 said:

beat me to it lol

9 hours ago, Pac said:

Who wins in this gag of yours?

Rock eating an open hand slap in front of a billion people or Will Smith ruining the image he's carefully curated for 30 + years in the span of 15 seconds?

There is zero chance it's a hoax.  It doesn't benefit anyone.

Watch his acceptance speech where Venus Williams has tears in her eyes.  He not only made a fool of himself but he embarrassed their family.

As a former actor, I can tell you 100% that this was real!

No actor of Will Smith's status, in their right mind would risk their film career for a moment of meaningless publicity.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Good for Will Smith, I'm sure many times in the past the 'jokers' of this world that like to make fun of people should have been punched.

Beware of anyone that tries to normalize or promote violence of any kind under any circumstances other than an absolute need for self defense as a response to an assault. 

And remember.  While celebrities are very well paid and given a conduit in the media to express themselves, very few if any of them have developed intellects. 

Even if the incident was staged, it is yet another example of a major media outlet helping to devolve the masses and lower standards. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

No actor of Will Smith's status, in their right mind would risk their film career for a moment of meaningless publicity.

He wasn’t risking anything lol

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I remember watching that Letterman show just to see Andy.  He had been pulling off a massive goof in the wrestling community which is still legendary.  Andy wrestling women, then baiting the crowd was inspired comedy only someone at his level could achieve.  

Kaufman is missed.   One of my all time comedy idols.  And I still believe he staged his own death and will just magically show up one day.  ?

I remember watching that one live.  I recall reading later on that Letterman was in on the slap work with Lawler. I also recall he had a hilarious remark right after it happened, but I don't recall what it was.

I was real sad when Kaufman died. I'd been a fan of his since seeing his Mighty Mouse lipsync routine with his Foreign Man character.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

What risk tho?  No one is going to choose not to hire Will Smith because of that little girly-slap in a moment of anger at an awards show. 

He's too big (and profitable) for that.

Now to be clear, I do not think it was fake or for PR, I think it was real.  But I don't think Will Smith is at any risk of lost work because of it.

8 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

i'd been a fan of his since seeing his Mighty Mouse lipsync routine with his Foreign Man character.

I was about 6 years old when that first aired. My parents to this day laugh when telling my wife and kids how hard and how long I laughed at that! ? 

? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Is that a Romulan or a Vulcan? I can't assess his statement until I know. 

Damn... One of the best Trek episodes from any of the series.  IMHO, Avery Brooks best episode.  His stage acting skills really shined here.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

OK we can agree to disagree.

I dont watch awards show but when i was a kid I did and it was always light hearted.

I dont think you know what kind of brutality goes on in a friars club roast. Nothing is off the table. Its bad. This joke would have been OK at the friars club but really mean at this award thing. 

Yeah but no.  This wasn’t Friars type joke.  It insulted no one.  If you’re that thin skinned, keep your sex life, your personal shlt out of the public.  You get in a profession where you love the adulation and rewards it affords you and then get on edge over this?   Maybe she should have worn a wig like most were wearing

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

For all the people condemning him. 

Imagine this. You sit down to have a conversation with Will Smith. 

Youre argument is that he was wrong to do it. 

He says you’re right. 

You say, the joke didn’t warrant his response and isn’t worth it. 

He says: It was worth it for me. 

Conversation ends and you realize you both agree it’s wrong but you can’t force a guy to agree with you on what is and isn’t worth defending his wife about. 

Are you happy now?  

What is left for you to exclaim. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah but no.  This wasn’t Friars type joke.  It insulted no one.  If you’re that thin skinned, keep your sex life, your personal shlt out of the public.  You get in a profession where you love the adulation and rewards it affords you and then get on edge over this?   Maybe she should have worn a wig like most were wearing

While it was fake, there is nothing funny about making fun of a disease.  

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

IMO they both went to far. Rock shouldn’t have put down Pinkett and Smith needed to handle that differently.  I recall this guy who was a tv interviewer once KISSED Will Smith in the mouth and Smith was shocked. But he didn’t hit the guy. He was upset but held his cool. He lost it last night. 

Comedians have been poking fun at celebs at the oscars for decades. Nothing new here. It was a repulsive thing for Will Smith to do and is very telling where his state of mind is in his relationship and life. Weak move and I hope he is held accountable. Not only that, he hijacked so many people's greatest night and made it about himself.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I agree 100%, but  I'll see your pair of deuces and raise you with a royal flush of ignorance, stupidity,  and divisiveness.... 

Rachel_Maddow_(2018).thumb.jpg.59ad8c4672808ad25cec65fa09b887a6.jpgMSNBCs-Joy-Reed-crying-shame-Devin-1.png.ff5613b4c68556057a3cd11f0fbf47a8.pngMika_Joe_.png.5f87980da098104334a4016b984ffd86.pnglemondon_0.jpg.3852be8148a24d009c77352c4e50a7e3.jpg26View-Image10-promo-superJumbo-v2.thumb.jpg.06b9296da6cff3e9373683355d8af78e.jpg

Martha-Raddatz-ABC-News-choked-up-Trump-1.jpg

This is a better knockout than anything Will Smith could have done last night. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Comedians have been poking fun at celebs at the oscars for decades. Nothing new here. It was a repulsive thing for Will Smith to do and is very telling where his state of mind is in his relationship and life. Weak move and I hope he is held accountable. Not only that, he hijacked so many people's greatest night and made it about himself.

Just because something has always been done, doesn’t make it right.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Not flipping…. just my observation of how things work in Hollywood. And just like Will Smith you over react. 

Yes, you came in to the thread and shared your insecurity with the board by getting all up in you feels and took this silliness into the political realm (par for the course) and I'm the one overreacting?  lmfao 

If this isnt the perfect reflection of what you and yours do at every turn, I dont know what is.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Much better beatdowns have occurred on live TV.  That was pretty weak, IMO

Jim Everett tackling Jim Rome

and 

Roy Innis tumbling Al Sharpton are just two

Nah this took the cake. This was The Oscars - millions upon millions watching this worldwide. I feel bad for Chris Rock although he went a bit to far. You just can’t mess with a person’s partner. But you can’t do what Will Smith did. That was just psychotic. Poor Chris Rock was in shock after he slapped him. He stepped back thinking more slapping was coming. And Rock is like half the size of Will Smith. Just bizzaro.