Off Topic: Will Smith punches Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Maxman

2 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

For all the people condemning him. 

Imagine this. You sit down to have a conversation with Will Smith. 

Youre argument is that he was wrong to do it. 

He says you’re right. 

You say, the joke didn’t warrant his response and isn’t worth it. 

He says: It was worth it for me. 

Conversation ends and you realize you both agree it’s wrong but you can’t force a guy to agree with you on what is and isn’t worth defending his wife about. 

Are you happy now?  

What is left for you to exclaim. 

It's not about worth or not worth.  It was flat out inapropriate behavior at a black tie premier event where the profession he's part of was on international display in a year when the industry is struggling.   He basically pissed on the professional community he represents.   The guy is a jackass.  I wouldn't give him the time of day let alone try and have a rational conversation with him.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I agree 100%, but  I'll see your pair of deuces and raise you with a royal flush of ignorance, stupidity,  and divisiveness.... 

Rachel_Maddow_(2018).thumb.jpg.59ad8c4672808ad25cec65fa09b887a6.jpgMSNBCs-Joy-Reed-crying-shame-Devin-1.png.ff5613b4c68556057a3cd11f0fbf47a8.pngMika_Joe_.png.5f87980da098104334a4016b984ffd86.pnglemondon_0.jpg.3852be8148a24d009c77352c4e50a7e3.jpg26View-Image10-promo-superJumbo-v2.thumb.jpg.06b9296da6cff3e9373683355d8af78e.jpg

Both sides are just an echo chamber. Fun fact : Roger ailes was deeply involved in developing msnbc. 
playing both sides of the coin lol

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Just because something has always been done, doesn’t make it right.  

You are absolutely correct, but you know what you are getting into with most comedians hosting the Oscars. They poke fun of people - only the weak and insecure would act on it and not be able to laugh it off. 

29 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I remember watching that one live.  I recall reading later on that Letterman was in on the slap work with Lawler. I also recall he had a hilarious remark right after it happened, but I don't recall what it was.

I was real sad when Kaufman died. I'd been a fan of his since seeing his Mighty Mouse lipsync routine with his Foreign Man character.

Here's the entire sequence.  Slap ensues at approx. 7:58, with Dave's comments following.  lol   Man, I loved Andy's schtick.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Greensleeves said:

You are absolutely correct, but you know what you are getting into with most comedians hosting the Oscars. They poke fun of people - only the weak and insecure would act on it and not be able to laugh it off. 

I tend to think it was staged, but if not, both were in the wrong.  Nothing to see here.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

For all the people condemning him. 

Imagine this. You sit down to have a conversation with Will Smith. 

Youre argument is that he was wrong to do it. 

He says you’re right. 

You say, the joke didn’t warrant his response and isn’t worth it. 

He says: It was worth it for me. 

Conversation ends and you realize you both agree it’s wrong but you can’t force a guy to agree with you on what is and isn’t worth defending his wife about. 

Are you happy now?  

What is left for you to exclaim. 

Would our conversation include the part where he laughed at the joke? Or would it only pick up from the part where Jada did whatever she did to shift the tenor of his reaction?

How about violence in the work place? Would that be on the table as a topic?

What about infidelity? Mental health?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

Both sides are just an echo chamber. Fun fact : Roger ailes was deeply involved in developing msnbc. 
playing both sides of the coin lol

200-1.gif.1142e3131de0809b721ecb48ddf5ccc4.gif

Unfortunately,  the usual folks shriek like harpies at one "side" and clap like seals when "their side" says something retarded.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It's not about worth or not worth.  It was flat out inapropriate behavior at a black tie premier event where the profession he's part of was on international display in a year when the industry is struggling.   He basically pissed on the professional community he represents.   The guy is a jackass.  I wouldn't give him the time of day let alone try and have a rational conversation with him.  

Assault, even limp slapping, goes beyond inappropriate. ?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

200-1.gif.1142e3131de0809b721ecb48ddf5ccc4.gif

Unfortunately,  the usual folks shriek like harpies at one "side" and clap like seals when "their side" says something retarded.

Remember Cronkite?   Miss those days. Haven’t watched cable news in 10 years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Larz said:

Remember Cronkite?   Miss those days. Haven’t watched cable news in 10 years. 

BBC is ok. The American News Media lost its last shred of Credibility when Russert died. 

Anyway, did you see that Agent J smacked Adam Sandlers buddy?

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Assault, even limp slapping, goes beyond inappropriate. ?

It looked like he tried to hit him hard.  Chris has probably been assaulted on stage before he hit the big time and knows how to roll with a shot from a disgruntled member of the audience. 

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

BBC is ok. The American News Media lost its last shred of Credibility when Russert died. 

Anyway, did you see that Agent J smacked Adam Sandlers buddy?

Yeah it’s funny I watch bbc America to get decent news on the USA. So sad. 

I think I saw one meme , not sure what happened ?

27 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If it’s not appropriate there it’s not appropriate anywhere,  I don’t think the location/circumstance adds to it being wrong. It’s just wrong - period. 

I don’t see how he “pissed on his professional community” personally but I don’t really think that factors into whether or not hitting someone is right/wrong. 

I have No doubt if I’m in front of you and it occurs organically, I can get you to slap me. It’s really easy money. The question is when does it become worth it for you to slap me. And what I’m saying is that we cannot dictate when it becomes worth it for different people and certainly when it comes to someone’s wife. 

If your point is to say Will was wrong to slap someone and the action is despicable then you need not debate further because majority of people agree with you, including me and I’m sure including Will Smith. 

So my question to you is, other than saying what Will Smith did was wrong (which it was), is there something else we are talking about? 

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

This is a football message board, and there is 9 pages on this nonsense, but a post about the bills stadium deal gets closed after less than a page.  There is something wrong with this picture.  

Should I start a thread on The View?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

As bizarre as the Will Smith "incident".  The weirdest moment was Lady Gaga presenting with Liza, who was shaking and incoherent in a wheelchair.  I hated seeing such a vibrant entertainer/show business icon like Liza in that condition.  

Applause to Gaga for making that come off as good as it did. A lesser human (which there is no shortage of in that environment) might have made that completely unwatchable.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

This is a football message board, and there is 9 pages on this nonsense, but a post about the bills stadium deal gets closed after less than a page.  There is something wrong with this picture.  

Sounds like Chris and Will pulled it off well

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It looked like he tried to hit him hard.  Chris has probably been assaulted on stage before he hit the big time and knows how to roll with a shot from a disgruntled member of the audience. 

Weird take.