AVT to Play RG, Tomlinson LG

SR24

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I was thinking something along these lines.  They could be drafting an LT and want the more experienced Tomlinson at RG to pair with him and plan on trading becton. This also would be why saleh keeps touting becton.  If they could get a late 1st round pick for becton i think they take it.  

No one is giving up a pick for Becton let alone a first. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not surprised by this at all.  I am a little surprised they are announcing it.  With all the chatter about cross-training, they should have been able to just play everybody everywhere and then decide what works best.  Not sure why they didn't do that, or at least say they were doing that.

Cross training just enables the team to have flexibility. They still want to give their players clarity on where they will be assigned to play Day 1. You don't want AVT spending all offseason working on playing LG and then break the news to him about playing RG when he arrives in camp. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not surprised by this at all.  I am a little surprised they are announcing it.  With all the chatter about cross-training, they should have been able to just play everybody everywhere and then decide what works best.  Not sure why they didn't do that, or at least say they were doing that.

If anything, maybe it confuses teams about whether the jets want to go OL at 4.  It sure sounds like it’s a possibility based on the presser.  Which would mean the jets want teams taking OL ahead of them so they can grab an edge.

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Nobody is giving two firsts and a third for Jamal Adams. 

Nobody is giving a second, fourth, and sixth rounder for Sam Darnold.

Nobody is giving a sixth for Blake Cashman.

JD busting out his Mesmero powers on the other GMs.

"All your picks are belong to us..."

The great quotes of: Mesmero - YouTube

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

No one is giving up a pick for Becton let alone a first. 

Saleh is really talking up becton and with the OL quality at 4 it may simply make sense to take the tackle at 4 this year.  This would mean trying to deal becton.  This is definitely one possible path.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Saleh is really talking up becton and with the OL quality at 4 it may simply make sense to take the tackle at 4 this year.  This would mean trying to deal becton.  This is definitely one possible path.

Or he just becomes a backup. If he’s ever healthy enough to play again.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Surprising but the switch is a lot easier for a guard than a tackle. That said I would have strongly considered the veteran making the switch before taking a chance at disrupting the 2nd year players development. 

This

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Or he just becomes a backup. If he’s ever healthy enough to play again.

Possibly.  But saleh is pumping becton up too much right before the draft, seems artificial.  And he doesn’t fit the offensive system they’re running.  I can easily see them drafting ekongwu or cross, trading becton and then going edge at 10.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Possibly.  But saleh is pumping becton up too much right before the draft, seems artificial.  And he doesn’t fit the offensive system they’re running.  I can easily see them drafting ekongwu or cross, trading becton and then going edge at 10.

If I had my guess the organization has already moved on from him and will either trade or just keep deactivated.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If I had my guess the organization has already moved on from him and will either trade or just keep deactivated.

I tend to agree at this point.  The FAs they’re getting are of better quality and last year’s draft was pretty good too.  Becton and mims clearly have not fit in with the new culture and i do believe there is a chance douglas trades becton for what he can get, drafts a tackle and moves on.  I could also see douglas maxing out on a trade by taking 2023 draft picks back.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Two possible reasons. 1) Avt way more versatile. 2) They liked Avt and Fant side by side. Fant ultimately will be RT, meaning they either believe in Becton or #4 will be Cross and Becton will be traded.

If they can't get a 1st round pick for Becton, then It's not happening.  Becton deserves the opportunity to play this year and prove that the past doesn't portray who he really is. This is year #3, which is the prove it or lose it year.  For the Jets to move on from Becton, they would need to be compensated in a way that the Jets believe he can still dominate at the tackle spot, and be healthy for an entire year.  If the Jets are offered a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Becton, I believe they would turn it down today.  If Becton plays for the Jets this season and flops, then trading Becton for less than a 1st round pick would become a reality.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Cross training just enables the team to have flexibility. They still want to give their players clarity on where they will be assigned to play Day 1. You don't want AVT spending all offseason working on playing LG and then break the news to him about playing RG when he arrives in camp. 

I didn't say they shouldn't give the players clarity.  I sadi that they shouldn't announce it.  Now if, for example, AVT is falling on his face on the right side and they have to switch they have to admit it and can't pretend that was the plan all along.  Breaking the news to the player does not mandate "breaking the news.": 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

If anything, maybe it confuses teams about whether the jets want to go OL at 4.  It sure sounds like it’s a possibility based on the presser.  Which would mean the jets want teams taking OL ahead of them so they can grab an edge.

How does it make a difference?  They still have the same guys playing guard.  Maybe the news about Becton still not being ready, but what's the difference who plays left or right guard?  They aren't replacing either guard. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

So Becton’s 4 week injury is stretching into 7 months +? 

If that’s true there was more to the injury than they told us probably.  In his videos he’s not exactly stressing the knee. 
admit I didn’t study the videos lol but what i saw i wondered about that. 

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I can't wait for AVT to be announced as the RT and we draft a guard in the second round. 

Isn’t that wasting his top-end athleticism and footwork speed/talent? He’s an excellent G and has potential as a finesse LT (but not ideal arm length) due to his ability to move extremely well for his size; he’s not a Brutish mauler with above average power and girth which is better suited for the RT, no? That’s why most people see Becton as having to make the switch to RT (has better profile attributes)rather than AVT to OT.

2 hours ago, ganggreen305 said:

Very Jetsy.

That's an overstatement. They have the rights to revise their plans and it makes sense to have Tomlinson play his natural position where he was a pro bowler. AVT had previous success at RG and could benefit from Tomlinson's leadership. 

It's a win-win and not as jetsy as people are perceiving it.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

That's an overstatement. They have the rights to revise their plans and it makes sense to have Tomlinson play his natural position where he was a pro bowler. AVT had previous success at RG and could benefit from Tomlinson's leadership. 

It's a win-win and not as jetsy as people are perceiving it.

Welcome to Jet Fan/Writer Ad Libs.

George Fant Mekhi Becton is a terrible LT

The Jets are idiotic if they let  keep Berrios go

Joe Douglas is clueless if he drafts _____________

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

I always assumed after the Tomlinson signing that AVT would play next to Becton and assumed that would be on the right side.

At this point in their careers AVT and Becton are better in the run game than in pass pro.  Fant is better in pass pro.  Tomlinson is fairly equal in both. So to me it makes complete sense to pair Fant and Tomlinson on Zach’s blind side and AVT and Becton on the right side.  

Also, strictly from a technique stand point, switching sides for a Guard in a zone scheme shouldn’t be a huge learning curve.  I’ve never seen it taught from a Left side vs right side perspective.  That doesn’t mean it isn’t taught that way, I’ve just never seen it.  Usually it’s play side vs back side footwork.  At least on Outsize zones.   I think the switch would be more difficult for a heavy gap scheme player.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Why would you switch AVT? He was solid at last year. 

Probably because they intent to do more running to their strong side.  That is usually the case with most teams.  Given that, they probably see Tomlinson as the faster of the two and able to get out and pull to the right while they see AVT as more of a mauler, hole blaster.

If you recall the Jets line with Brick, Faneca, Mangold, Moore, Woody.

Their running game was almost 90 % to the right.  The elite run blocker, Faneca would pull and Moore would blast open a hole in the A or B gap.  Worked beautifully all the time even though the opposing defense knew it was coming.

I watched AVT play.  He is a good all around guard, but more of a mauler/hole blaster like Moore was and less of a pulling guard.  AVT is also a very good pass blocker.  With your QB going to his right so often, you want a great pass blocking guard on that side.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

At first glance it seems stupid to make a young player switch positions after one year of showing a lot of promise and talent at his original position. But really, if AVT can't transition from LG to RG, than he's no good of a lineman and wasn't worth his draft slot.

I suppose you could also say the same thing about Tomlinson, but maybe it makes sense to the coaches. I dunno. Just hope it works out.

• Tomlinson is 33 years old and has a 3 year contract out in 2 years.  AVT is in year 2 of a 5 year rookie contract.  So it makes sense to let LT play LG for 2-3 years and then let AVT take over after that.
  • CM is not a bad Center.  He is an OK center but probably a bit overpaid, which is bad in the world of JD, who wants everyone underpaid.  JD needs to find a C to take over for CM next year or get ready to extend him.  CM can't be franchised-too expensive for a C.  I would not fall off of my chair if Linderbaum is available at 35.  
  • The Jets only have 2 T on the roster.  Drafting a successor to Fant or Becton is not a horrible idea if he is the BPA at 4 or 10.  He becomes the swing T.  Does not help the team in 2022 much, but saves a disaster in 2023, which is the real season that matters I think.  I do think the best scenario is a trade of Becton that allows us to draft an EDGE or WR in addition to a T to replace him.