Saleh Press Conference 3/28

SR24

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m not disagreeing with you, but why dismiss what Hughes says here because it wasn’t said in the PC this morning. I doubt he would just make something like this up and throw it out there.

Saleh or someone from the staff still could’ve said it, just not this morning on camera. 

Wait. Don't dismiss something a beat reporter with no knowledge of Bectons recovery or where he's at with that recovery just made up!? Nvm the fact the gm or coach made no indications of it either. 

Hate to tell you but if you haven't been paying attention most reporters fabricate things to garner clicks/reactions. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say you only feel this way when you disagree with what they’ve written.

No, not really. Everything else aside, how many times have Jets beat reporters been completely wrong? The answer is too many to count. 

It's just the nature of the business. Throw something out there that is already a sore topic like "Jets lucky if Becton makes OTAs/training camp" and you get fans who already have this huge emotional attachment to the team to click on your article and react. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

No, not really. Everything else aside, how many times have Jets beat reporters been completely wrong? The answer is too many to count. 

It's just the nature of the business. Throw something out there that is already a sore topic like "Jets lucky if Becton makes OTAs/training camp" and you get fans who already have this huge emotional attachment to the team to click on your article and react. 

How many times have Jets management been completely wrong.  How many times have I thought guys the Jets drafted would be great based on what management said and the media reported.  

That was rhetorical but the answer is I've been buying into our great drafts for over 50 years until the 1st season was over.   The nature of the business is picks are hyped by the media until they don't perform than management gets blamed.   This has been going on for years.   

We were all sold on Mims until management started leaking that he didn't know the playbook. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

On Tyreek Hill

- Glad they took a swing, saw an opportunity to add an elite playmaker.

- Joe Douglas - "ready to get his baseball bat out and swing" - will be ready to have a conversation with any team who's needs change, believe more players will become available closer to draft.

On Mekhi Becton, Mims, & Davis

- Acknowledges weight has been an issue with his recovery, not so much that he's overweight but at his size it's tough to recover.

- Becton will be a ball of butcher knives when we get him back

- Wants to see bounc back years from 2020 class

AVT RG - Tomlinson LG

- mentions AVT versatility and how Tomlinson was a Pro Bowler at G

- Feels like an old dog new tricks situation

On Free Agent Class

- DJ Reed makes entire defense better

- Whitehead - toughness, tenacity, strong communicator

- Uzomah and Conklin compliment each other

- Brought in guys who have been in championship games

NFL Draft

- Going to be adding a pass rusher

- he and Douglas to have bareknuckle fight for DE vs OL at 4

On Zach Wilson

- Thinks experience in playbook will allow him to play faster

- Says he's been on "a tour" seeing his teammates, he's been putting in the work

Thanks. Well done man. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bgivs21 said:

Wait. Don't dismiss something a beat reporter with no knowledge of Bectons recovery or where he's at with that recovery just made up!? Nvm the fact the gm or coach made no indications of it either. 

Hate to tell you but if you haven't been paying attention most reporters fabricate things to garner clicks/reactions. 

Hughes has the best access of anyone. Sorry that reality is not meeting your expectations. 

Think the way Wilson is approaching the offseason is good, and also unique.

I remember when some of our QB's would link up and throw to their teammates once or twice an offseason it was a somewhat big deal. However now it seems like Wilson has been with a teammate, or teammates constantly since the offseason began. Could go a long way with regards to chemistry, but we'll see. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Things I got from listening to this:

1- Saleh placed a little pressure on Zach.  Made some pretty firm comments about him needing to learn the playbook better.

2- Mentioned Mimsy twice.  Said LaFluer and Miles Sanders have been in contact with him.  I sensed there was some belief Saleh thinks he can improve a play a role this year.

3- Im surprised that AVT is moving to the right side.  But in thinking about it, Fant and AVT are a little more finesse then power.  So it makes sense to pair Fant with a road grader like Tomlinson and AVT with a force like Becton.  Really balances the line out on each side.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

On Tyreek Hill

- Glad they took a swing, saw an opportunity to add an elite playmaker.

- Joe Douglas - "ready to get his baseball bat out and swing" - will be ready to have a conversation with any team who's needs change, believe more players will become available closer to draft.

On Mekhi Becton, Mims, & Davis

- Acknowledges weight has been an issue with his recovery, not so much that he's overweight but at his size it's tough to recover.

- Becton will be a ball of butcher knives when we get him back

- Wants to see bounc back years from 2020 class

AVT RG - Tomlinson LG

- mentions AVT versatility and how Tomlinson was a Pro Bowler at G

- Feels like an old dog new tricks situation

On Free Agent Class

- DJ Reed makes entire defense better

- Whitehead - toughness, tenacity, strong communicator

- Uzomah and Conklin compliment each other

- Brought in guys who have been in championship games

NFL Draft

- Going to be adding a pass rusher

- he and Douglas to have bareknuckle fight for DE vs OL at 4

On Zach Wilson

- Thinks experience in playbook will allow him to play faster

- Says he's been on "a tour" seeing his teammates, he's been putting in the work

Thanks for breaking it down. 

Always appreciate the effort.

• Upvote 2

Here's another mountain of a man who's entering this draft.  Daniel Faalele.  He's 6'9" and 380 down from 427 when he got to MN.

He wants to get down to 340.  Scouting report on Faalele conclusion:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/daniel-faalele-minnesota-ot-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

Analysis: When Faalele is in proper condition and under 350 pounds, he’s a force to be reckoned with at tackle, as he displays athleticism, agility, and the ability to overwhelm defenders. When he’s in excess of 370 pounds, Faalele looks off-balance and haphazard and gets beaten. He possesses a tremendous amount of upside, but Faalele must do proper things off field and keep himself in proper condition 12 months a year.

Sounds like a less athletic Becton.

• Upvote 1

When all is said and done I believe this to be Wilson's biggest problem - if he can figure this out he'll be a good one - if not, he's going to bust.  Many a super talented QB have failed for this reason.

He just looks like he's thinking faaaaaar too much out there - if he can play without thinking he'll be fine.  He wasn't able to get there last year, seemed to get better toward the end but not close to the game speed he'll need to play.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Hughes has the best access of anyone. Sorry that reality is not meeting your expectations. 

Believe what you want bud. Just don't try to tell us what Hughes says is gospel when he's clearly stating an opinion as fact and trying to make it seem like that's what JD and Saleh said in their presser.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

When all is said and done I believe this to be Wilson's biggest problem - if he can figure this out he'll be a good one - if not, he's going to bust.  Many a super talented QB have failed for this reason.

He just looks like he's thinking faaaaaar too much out there - if he can play without thinking he'll be fine.  He wasn't able to get there last year, seemed to get better toward the end but not close to the game speed he'll need to play.

The good news is he's a genuine film rat.  

It doesn't guarantee success, but it's better than having a guy not putting in the work. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The good news is he's a genuine film rat.  

It doesn't guarantee success, but it's better than having a guy not putting in the work. 

Yes agreed for sure.  By all accounts he's a really hard worker and completely focused on football.  

The biggest problem -  it's impossible to simulate the speed of the game other than the 16 times a year.  

My biggest question - toward the end of last year - when he seemed to be playing more controlled, smarter football.  

Was that because simply everyone was hurt so he just dumped the ball off..

Or he learned, played smart football, followed his reads and took what the D gave him - even if it didn't product a lot.  

I know they sound similar but the latter would be far more exciting.

23 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Becton has to be treated like he doesn’t exist, until he arrives and stays healthy. Then you consider him an asset. For now, you invest in your OL as if the guy doesn’t exist.

That's my preference. Having a culture of "earning it" unfortunately shouldn't come with exceptions just because you were a high draft pick. Hopefully that's a lesson they enforce because the team is filled with late round guys who bust it to get better and perform to keep a roster spot.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Good thing they threw him out there Week 1 last season. Clueless move. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

That's my preference. Having a culture of "earning it" unfortunately shouldn't come with exceptions just because you were a high draft pick. Hopefully that's a lesson they enforce because the team is filled with late round guys who bust it to get better and perform to keep a roster spot.

The thing with that though is if Becton is healthy he's immediately the best lineman on the team.  You can't hide that.  If he's there you can't play someone else that isn't as good.

5 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

You're spot on about Brick. We went to the same grad school while he was with the Jets and when you stand next to him without pads, he looked like a TE. I don't think that man was ever over 300lbs by the end of a training camp. His "struggles" always seemed to be against the big power rushers, probably for that reason. Likewise, he was also an absolute rock for us and barely ever missed a snap letalone a game. 

I served him at a restaurant I was working at in Montclair. Had no idea who he was until he gave me his card. He was really thin. He looked like a power forward. 

1 hour ago, bgivs21 said:

Believe what you want bud. Just don't try to tell us what Hughes says is gospel when he's clearly stating an opinion as fact and trying to make it seem like that's what JD and Saleh said in their presser.

Well, bgivs21 has spoken!! 

"Bud"? Are you my 80 year old Uncle Greg? 

? 

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The thing with that though is if Becton is healthy he's immediately the best lineman on the team.  You can't hide that.  If he's there you can't play someone else that isn't as good.

In what alternate reality? The one where he can last an entire game or season?

AVT, McGovern, Fant, AND Tomlinson (Pro Bowler) are all currently better and more reliable than Becton. 

Let's see the guy actually play a full f***ing season before anointing him as anything more than a giant man that had a good combine but can't stay on the field. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

1. Not true.

2. If he earns it, he plays.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I served him at a restaurant I was working at in Montclair. Had no idea who he was until he gave me his card. He was really thin. He looked like a power forward. 

Wait, I thought you were an actor… ?

Did you slap him?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

In what alternate reality? The one where he can last an entire game or season?

AVT, McGovern, Fant, AND Tomlinson (Pro Bowler) are all currently better and more reliable than Becton. 

Let's see the guy actually play a full f***ing season before anointing him as anything more than a giant man that had a good combine but can't stay on the field. 

IMO, he will be the best OL on the team - the moment he is back. 

Wether he can stay healthy or not isn't the question I was responding to - I think I was clear when I said when he's back.  

This isn't high school sports - you play your best players...You play the guys that give you the best chance to win.  A healthy Becton will not be beaten out by anyone.

So y'all can talk about "earn it" all you want.  He would have earned it the moment he's healthy., because he'll be the best player. Even if you don't think that is true - at worst he's the second best Tackle.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Becton has to be treated like he doesn’t exist, until he arrives and stays healthy. Then you consider him an asset. For now, you invest in your OL as if the guy doesn’t exist.

I agree with this.

When we game that scenario out - it likely means we've got to take a tackle @ 4 or 10, right?

Especially considering these assumptions:

• Under no circumstances can Conor McDermott ever be relied upon to start a 'stretch' of games - he a spot starter in a pinch, at best
  • Of the "top" tackles, only Ekwonu, Cross and Penning have the requisite athleticism to play in this system
  • Bernhard Raimann (spelling might be off) is the only dude projected round 2 that seemingly fits (and he's got short arms and will be 25 years old as a rookie)?
  • Tyler Smith is a poor pass blocker & Kellen Diesch has short arms, but both are what, round 2-3 bubble?

If we operated under your assumption that Becky cannot be accounted upon at all, the only rational take I see presently, then we're basically taking Ekwonu @ 4, or if he's gone, looking for Cross or Penning @ 10 given the above.

52 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not following. If he's healthy, he gets to play. I'm referring to the offseason planning. The Jets have to have an insurance plan at tackle because he can't be relied upon to play 16 games until he proves it. Acting like he's not there doesn't necessitate taking a tackle with a top ten pick in my eyes. Something like taking a tackle late day 2 or early day 3 seems about right to me with the value of what may be in those rounds possibly matching up.

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I'm not following. If he's healthy, he gets to play. I'm referring to the offseason planning. The Jets have to have an insurance plan at tackle because he can't be relied upon to play 16 games until he proves it. Acting like he's not there doesn't necessitate taking a tackle with a top ten pick in my eyes. Something like taking a tackle late day 2 or early day 3 seems about right to me with the value of what may be in those rounds possibly matching up.

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

My fault then - I was originally responding to this post - didn't read to me like you were referencing the off-season bur some arbitrary - "You have to earn it" ideal.  And you play that guys that work the hardest.

I completely agree that he should be expected to work hard all off-season...