This board's undying love for Sauce Gardner

6 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

As a cb I have to admit he checks a lot of boxes. Just shocked at how badly this board wants us to spend a top 10 pick on him for the following reasons:

1) Premium man cover skills are not a must in this defensive scheme.

2) Pressuring the QB, in today's NFL, is way more effective to defending the pass than high end cover guys. Give an NFL QB 3-5 seconds and he will pick even the best corners apart. I would much rather spend a high draft pick on Jermaine Johnson (or someone similar) who can make the QB uncomfortable.

3) Today's NFL is won on offense and we are still way behind other teams with high end players on that side of the ball. 

I get that people love his nickname. I get that the perceived value of drafting him is very high because of his talent. But let's get a premium player at a premium position if we're drafting top 10. Now if we want to trade back and take a corner, that's a different story.

It is a complex issue.

You could make all the arguments above and not be wrong.

But if the Jets feel he is the best player at 4 or 10, then they should pick him.

Whether the role is diminished or not, having two high end corners WILL have a very strong positive impact on the defense. It is not all about pass rush.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, genot said:

We just signed Reed.whos been bragging about his stats matching up favorably withe the top corners in the league. Bryce Hall is a very good corner. Who's job does Gardner get. Cornerback is not a priority.No way!!

You can never have enough good DB's.  Reed and Hall are not in Sauce's league. 

CB is definitely not AS important as it once was, but it if the CB available at 4 is the BAP and probably also safest option you take him there and dont think twice. You have to play the cards your dealt. There ain't no Jamar Chase or Myles Garret there.

Taking a premium CB in the top 5 is much more defensible than taking a Safety. I think people are under the impression the two are the same in todays nfl, and they just aren't. At least not yet.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

You can never have enough good DB's.  Reed and Hall are not in Sauce's league. 

Jeff okudah was supposed to be the next great corner. Hasn't turned out that way has it. We have a much bigger need on our defensive line, and at WR. Who knows  what the future holds for Lawson.

• Upvote 2

Sauce Gardner has Jalen Ramsey level value  - he's just not worth the pick in Saleh's system. 
You don't need to draft a corner at 4 if you're running zone and not blitzing that much 
Jets fans are stuck in this 3-4 "Revis Island" way of thinking. We aren't that defense any more 

but but …. he has the coolest name - sauce man sauce!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He’s the best player in this draft period.
Jermaine Johnson is like Edge 5 or 6 I’ll lose my damn mind if we take him at 4. 
Most QBs throw the ball in under 3 seconds. Great CB play helps pass rush as much as pass rush helps a secondary. 

coach salah disagrees- and when we draft dl at 4……….

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Other than QB, CB is the one position that can lose a game for you in a single instant.  It is a high value position.  Along with that, Sauce is the type of player that fits very well in Saleh's defense.  Sauce is a do-all type of CB.  If you are running a 4-2-5, you need CBs that are complete football players.  Cover skills, ability to be physical and above all, instincts and smarts that enable plays to be sniffed out and made any time any place.

He's a perfect fit.

Sauce and Ickey are the two best players in the draft. 

I don't like the edge rushers in this draft at all.

My big board.

Ekwonu

Sauce

Hamilton

London

If the the Jets get any one of them, it was a good draft.  If they manage two of the four, I build a JD shrine on my front lawn

2 out of those 4 is definitely possible. 

12 minutes ago, genot said:

Jeff okudah was supposed to be the next great corner. Hasn't turned out that way has it. We have a much bigger need on our defensive line, and at WR. Who knows  what the future holds for Lawson.

There are no good pass rushers in this year's draft.  The ones being talked about won by default.  Lawson was never a player.  He cant stay on the field.  Same as Cashman who is gone.   Drafting for need is great as long as the talent is there too.  Otherwise, go with the best player available,  Or at least that's how I'd approach it. 

16 minutes ago, genot said:

Way too early to say that about Okudah. 2020 was his rookie season and it was similar to what Darrelle Revis did as a rookie. This past year, he got hurt with the Achilles injury and only played 1 game. 

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

There are no good pass rushers in this year's draft.  The ones being talked about won by default.  Lawson was never a player.  He cant stay on the field.  Same as Cashman who is gone.   Drafting for need is great as long as the talent is there too.  Otherwise, go with the best player available,  Or at least that's how I'd approach it. 

Well. I've made my feelings known. I think Walker will be a pro bowler for years to come. If he's not there, I would trade down, and draft KT, or Johnson. If we can't trade down from #4, and Walker is gone, then o-line is what I'd  be drafting.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Way too early to say that about Okudah. 2020 was his rookie season and it was similar to what Darrelle Revis did as a rookie. This past year, he got hurt with the Achilles injury and only played 1 game. 

Yea. I'm not calling him a bust. The draft is such a crapshoot. Especially, this year. Ya just never can be sure how things turn out.

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Well. I've made my feelings known. I think Walker will be a pro bowler for years to come. If he's not there, I would trade down, and draft KT, or Johnson. If we can't trade down from #4, and Walker is gone, then o-line is what I'd  be drafting.

You could be right.  You never know.  Even the "experts" get it wrong 50 % of the time.  What ever way it goes, I hope the Jets benefit.  I'd like to see a season that lasts past October for a change. 

For me he’s the most rounded individual.

Hes a good fit, he’s a low risk as I think he reaches his potential, which I don’t think has am extremely high ceiling but is still high.

The problem is this group isn’t a huge pool and we do need some defence. I like him, but whether he’s a number 4 talent I’m not sure.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Sauce Gardner has Jalen Ramsey level value  - he's just not worth the pick in Saleh's system. 

You don't need to draft a corner at 4 if you're running zone and not blitzing that much 

Jets fans are stuck in this 3-4 "Revis Island" way of thinking. We aren't that defense any more 

Not to mention the investment we made in DJ Reed who can play slot and outside.  

I believe the Sauce crew gonna be highly disappointed. Our defense doesn’t call for lockdown, press man CBs so I don’t see how JD makes that call. 2 of Edge, OL or WR are our best bet at 4/10….

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Not to mention the investment we made in DJ Reed who can play slot and outside.  

I believe the Sauce crew gonna be highly disappointed. Our defense doesn’t call for lockdown, press man CBs so I don’t see how JD makes that call. 2 of Edge, OL or WR are our best bet at 4/10….

I kind of agree with this.  This is not Rex's blitz happy cover zero operation where Revis was constantly on his own.  It's all based on pressure coming from the traditional front four.  I'd be very surprised to see OL in round 1...

1 hour ago, genot said:

You sure about that. Gardner hasn't played an NFL game yet. Without a pass rush, turnovers are much harder to come by. I think Hall is very good. Been involved in numerous breakups. With a pass rush, they might turn into interceptions.

Can't be sure, heck the Edge and WR we select will have exactly the same questions.

All I'm saying is Reed or Hall likely don't eliminate Sauce from the conversation if they truly want to go BPA. We have that luxury because of #10.

Just now, bla bla bla said:

Can't be sure, heck the Edge and WR we select will have exactly the same questions.

All I'm saying is Reed or Hall likely don't eliminate Sauce from the conversation if they truly want to go BPA. We have that luxury because of #10.

Well. Those are all good points. Can't disagree, with any of them

I want just about every resource used on offense until we are fielding a juggernaut that scores 30+ points a game. We can fix the defense in one offseason. Other than edge rusher I don’t want to see a high pick used on defense. This little sh*t at QB needs all the help he can get, Idont care if we have the worst D in the league and go 0-17 losing every game 45-40. We can fix that in one year.

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

He’s the best player in this draft period.

Jermaine Johnson is like Edge 5 or 6 I’ll lose my damn mind if we take him at 4. 

Most QBs throw the ball in under 3 seconds. Great CB play helps pass rush as much as pass rush helps a secondary. 

It hurts my brain to hear sentiments like "we don't need another Revis" and "we play cover 3 zone, we don't need man corners", like what? We play man coverage quite a bit and to think we run exclusively cover 3 is ridiculous. There are counters to every defensive scheme. Period. So much of the game today is based on exploiting mismatches. Having good corners (much like Seattle had or SF had) enables a team defense to your point. I mean to be perfectly honest, we need quite a bit. A great corner is a good start. We also need faster linebackers, a penetrating DT, and an edge at a minimum to take our sorry defense into respectable levels in my opinion.

We have 2 top ten picks, taking Sauce and then an edge or WR or ideally trade back is fine in my opinion. I think a lot of fear comes from people not understanding picks beyond the first or 2nd rounds. Also, people are overhyping the quality of edge and WR and unfortunately even TE because it got early hype before athletic testing became a thing. Those positions faired poorly in testing overall, but meanwhile corner, safety, linebacker, and tackle ended up testing very well for depth, but people's opinions didn't adjust.

This Jermaine Johnson thing is also annoying for me. I think he's got a lot of potential and he could be very good, I just think he's incredibly risky for 10. He's got a plus bull-rushing game, but I saw a lack of evidence for him as a bender around the edge, a limited array of moves, and he's not a good run defender, mostly because of effort honestly. He showed up well at the Senior Bowl and was expecting better looking at his games.

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...
6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

So JD is following our posts.

I mean, I literally was saying all offseason, Sauce at 4, JJ at 10 and that Garrett Wilson was my favorite WR in the draft (other than my boo Wan'Dale, you see him get a TD Sunday?) and the only one I'd consider taking at 10.  I did however, not like the idea of Hall in 2nd even though he was my favorite RB prospect, so I appreciate him not copying me verbatim. 

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

This bump is going to leave a mark.

I am new here but I was in Vegas screaming for Sauce at 4.

I know you were, sexy pants.  

Yeah, this one definitely is a doozy for some posters but all good, we all get it wrong.  Though, there was some dissertations written about how bad of a pick Sauce would be for the Jets, lol.  Meanwhile, here in Jacksonville, to a man, they all wish they took Sauce #1 overall instead of Travon Walker.  

• Upvote 1