Who's Your Sleeper Pick?

nycdan

Almost every year I latch in on a guy who intrigues me way beyond his actual perceived value.  A guy I find myself hoping the Jets draft in the mid-to-late rounds far more than I should.

Most years he turns out to be nothing more than just that...a late round pick.  I did fixate on Antonio Gibson who I will claim as my only win in this area.  But WAS took him with the 2nd pick in the 3rd round (I was hoping he might fall to us with the 4th pick in that round) so I guess I wasn't as ahead of the curve on him as I thought.

Anyway, this year, I'm starting to zone in on a DT - Logan Hall.  He's an interesting cat - very tall, lean, and a RAS score you could hang on the wall:

HallLogan.jpg

His profiles suggest he could add 10 lbs. and still maintain his metrics which would go a long way to pushing that red mark up.  Frankly, the best height/weight comp I can find for him is DeForest Buckner, only Bucker had horrible metrics everywhere else.  Could Hall become a more athletic Buckner?  That's the tease for me.  I could get behind him at the top of round 3 if he makes it there.  DT is a need anyway and something about this guy just intrigues me.

Who do you guys have?

One of our draft experts was dissing logan hall after the i think the senior bowl.  Not sure why.

I still think David Bell from Purdue will be good.  He ran slow at the combine and wiser evaluators than I have down graded him.

He does two things really well, gets open and catches the ball.  And in the end those are super important.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

George Karlaftis. Because you guys are just sleeping on the guy.

Yep

If people weren’t big fans at #4, okay. I can understand that.

But I have no idea why he’s become a complete non-entity with this fanbase.

Say the Jets take Gardner at #4, Karlaftis would then be on my shortlist at #10 along with Wilson and Jermaine Johnson.

I said it before, but the same stuff people are saying about Karlaftis on this board (not great at bending the corner, only has a bullrush, etc) is the same stuff people around here were saying about Trey Hendrickson last offseason when they were screaming for Carl Lawson.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Yep

If people weren’t big fans at #4, okay. I can understand that.

But I have no idea why he’s become a complete non-entity with this fanbase.

Say the Jets take Gardner at #4, Karlaftis would then be on my shortlist at #10 along with Wilson and Jermaine Johnson.

I said it before, but the same stuff people are saying about Karlaftis on this board (not great at bending the corner, only has a bullrush, etc) is the same stuff people around here were saying about Trey Hendrickson last offseason when they were screaming for Carl Lawson.

It’s funny how people have different perspectives, I’ve been thinking the same issue people had with Lawson having pressures but not sacks is an issue with Karlaftis.

6 minutes ago, derp said:

It’s funny how people have different perspectives, I’ve been thinking the same issue people had with Lawson having pressures but not sacks is an issue with Karlaftis.

So what you’re saying is that Karlaftis compares favorably to two high priced free agents from last year 

54 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

So what you’re saying is that Karlaftis compares favorably to two high priced free agents from last year 

I get where you’re going but don’t know if that back and forth was about the favorable side of things haha. Karlaftis got too much chatter at 4 on here which was absolutely ridiculous and so those in favor of him at 4 have since backed off and those against have probably settled into him being a good mid first round edge prospect which is what he always was.

Some Day 2 or 3 guys I think are interesting:

IOL:

Cole Strange, Ed Ingram, and Lecitus Smith. Thayer Munford I think is possibly undervalued.

OT:

Nicholas Petit-Frere might be undervalued based on what I'm seeing in mocks.

Matt Waletzko - Small school guy who tested well. Wasn't blown away by many of the Senior bowl offensive linemen, which made me sour on them overall, but might just mean they need developing. 

Sean Rhyan - possibly undervalued.

Edge:

Jeffrey Gunter, Dominique Robinson, Josh Paschal are interesting athletic profiles at the position. Ebiketie is not a sleeper, but want to shout out that his agility numbers were good from his pro day.  

Shot in the dark:

Big and fast Isiah Weston WR Northern Iowa. Purely based off athletic potential. 6'3" guy with a 40 vert, 11'3" broad, 4.4 40 with sub 1.6 10 yard split. Don't know if he can play football since I don't have any decent games to watch with him in it, but as a random lottery ticket you can do much worse.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Bellinger the SDSU TE is one of the best blocking tight ends in the draft if not the best and also has a great athletic profile. He’s kind of getting lost in a very good class but I think there’s a good chance be outperforms. Jelani Woods is probably that plus more known ball skills and elite size and is deservedly getting at least some hype now, neither is getting enough, but I’ll keep banging the Bellinger drum. Think his floor is a very good TE2 and his ceiling is a very good TE1.

Zach Tom the OL from Wake Forest has position versatility, a great athletic profile, and hit the short shuttle threshold. Played tackle in college but maybe projects to center. I think he’s firmly in play for the Jets because of the traits and position versatility and he fits the mold of someone who goes day three and ends up being a high end offensive lineman. Hope the Jets draft him to develop him behind McGovern. Kellen Diesch is the other day three OL who hit the shuttle threshold, Abraham Lucas did and should go day two and Zion Johnson did and is probably a first round pick.

Tyquan Thornton is an absolute dart throw but he’s basically Jameson Williams physically. Had some late production on a mediocre Baylor passing offense and flashes the ability to catch the ball away from his body. Speed gets overdrafted but is valuable and for a team that could use a take the top off the defense guy if someone like Thornton is available day 3 I think you take him and see what happens.

• Upvote 2

Daniel Bellinger - not so much sleeper but late round TE we sh draft

Velus Jones Jr. - I think he be great as a back up for Berrious

Abram Smith - tank on wheels

Tyrion Davis-Price - ditto

Tariq Woolen - again not sleeper but would much rather have a guy like this then sauce

• Upvote 2

Not sure he's a sleeper, but I do like Verone McKinley III from Oregon.  Really rangey safety i think he would be a nice player for the jets to draft and groom as a CF type safety. He ran really poorly at his pro day which is odd because I thought he was faster than the 4.65 he ran.  He chose not to run at the combine which makes me think something may be up or perhaps he's just slow.  Either way I like his IQ and instincts at the position. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Not sure he's a sleeper, but I do like Verone McKinley III from Oregon.  Really rangey safety i think he would be a nice player for the jets to draft and groom as a CF type safety. He ran really poorly at his pro day which is odd because I thought he was faster than the 4.65 he ran.  He chose not to run at the combine which makes me think something may be up or perhaps he's just slow.  Either way I like his IQ and instincts at the position. 

Add CB Mykel Wright his teammate to the sleeper list. Love PFF’s take on him: We got some really good players on our team, but Mykel is way better than all of us. 

• 2nd round:  DT Travis Jones UCONN.  Legit run stopper who can also rush the passer
  • 3rd Round: Troy Anderson - checks a ton of boxes as far as position, speed and character
  • 4th Round: Brian Robinson - big back who would be a real nice complement to Carter. Can catch and pass protect

I have been intrigued by a no name WR out if Northern Iowa.  Strictly due to his Combine performance, and thereafter I very little videos on YouTube that showed a few contested balls.

Isaiah Weston.  Big, strong, long strider with top end speed.  Some reports day he has the skill set to develop.  If he could pack weight on his frame, possible Hback kinda guy.

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2022 at 12:06 AM, Maynard13 said:

Add CB Mykel Wright his teammate to the sleeper list. Love PFF’s take on him: We got some really good players on our team, but Mykel is way better than all of us. 

This. I find myself gravitating to him in mock drafts. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I know nothing but what littje I’ve seen I’m with you here. Just a weird gut feeling. 

Agreed and I also cant exactly say why.  He just seems like hes already strong enough to play the run with an athletic upside which is what we want. 

A little random but there’s some compelling stuff out there about Skylar Thompson. Some people LOVE him. There are a few nice examples of why, seems like he does some of the important stuff for NFL QB’s well. Figured this would be a fun look back if he ends up outperforming draft position since he’s not really talked about. Doubt the Jets are drafting a QB with Flacco-White.

Jeffery Gunter looks to be a fantastic dart throw at edge later in the draft. Great athlete and has decent enough production at 17 sacks in 3 years. 

Tyler Goodson seems to be full of potential.  Very quick and hits the hole extremely well. Not really a power guy, but could pair well with carter 

Jalen Tolbert seems like a high ceiling mid round guy with all of the intangibles you look for. 

Dylan Parham/Cole Strange/Max Mitchell are the mid round OL I like 

16563794-BF78-43DD-A34D-A77EA5D3AD51.png

9422FD04-1965-4743-8362-FF3EEA1E34EC.png

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Exactly my thought.  Salah would LOVE to get that DL top notch.  Edge at 4 and Davis at 10.

With the idea JD would trade the 2nd's to move up for a wideout like Olave or someone else.

That works!

Or, Wilson at 4 and Boye or Ebitike in Round 2. Also, the numbers on this guy Paschal are amazing and he's probably there in the 3rd.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.