Today is the day we became the Jets!

doitny

Really an ill-advised brand strategy decision. I know we all “live” the Jets and nobody wants to … heaven forbid … critique something we hold dear.

But, the name “Jets” is stupid. It harkens back to a time period where it was a trendy term for technological advancements… and is entirely irrelevant now.

Titans was a timeless name. Also, eclipsed the Giants.

Blue and yellow (not golden mustard) would have been dope for us too. 

Oh well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Really an ill-advised brand strategy decision. I know we all “live” the Jets and nobody wants to … heaven forbid … critique something we hold dear.

But, the name “Jets” is stupid. It harkens back to a time period where it was a trendy term for technological advancements… and is entirely irrelevant now.

Oh well. 

You make a reasonable argument but on an emotional level I like the name Jets. It represents speed and power and Is easy to market. I don’t think it’s irrelevant either as airplane travel is still the predominant mode of travel in the world. Titans refers back to ancient history rather than modern history. I happen to like green also but any color scheme could have been used for Titans or Jets. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh well. 

Yeah but nobody else has a motorized, man made, mascot.  Only the Jets baby!!!

• Upvote 1

Oh well. 

If we stayed with the Titans we could update to the Lilliputians. 

I could never understand this organization admitting that they had any connection to the Titans. The Titans were losers in every sense of the word. From record to not being able to pay their players just an abomination. From what I understand the Titans folded and the Jets were created. I believe there was not a strong connection (please correct me if I am worng). I felt it was such a "Jetsy thing" to do a few years back and "honor" them by wearing those god awful uniforms. Good riddance 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I could never understand this organization admitting that they had any connection to the Titans. The Titans were losers in every sense of the word. From record to not being able to pay their players just an abomination. From what I understand the Titans folded and the Jets were created. I believe there was not a strong connection (please correct me if I am worng). I felt it was such a "Jetsy thing" to do a few years back and "honor" them by wearing those god awful uniforms. Good riddance 

This is the best thing I’ve read ……. Like ever. 

• Upvote 1

Oh well. 

Titans sound like a High school football team 

Jets are badass. Fast, high, powerful, deadly at times. Plus being right by the airport seeing countless Jets fly over metlife is kind of fitting 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

No,  Sonny Werblin and his partners purchased the Titans from Harry Wismer.  The purchase price? Assuming about $1 million in team debts for Wismer, who was pretty much a drunk.  When Leon Hess and his bitter jealous cohorts forced Werblin to sell his share of the team in 1968, the franchise value had gone from $1 million to $15 million in five years - and that was BEFORE the SB win.

3 hours ago, docdhc said:

You make a reasonable argument but on an emotional level I like the name Jets. It represents speed and power and Is easy to market. I don’t think it’s irrelevant either as airplane travel is still the predominant mode of travel in the world. Titans refers back to ancient history rather than modern history. I happen to like green also but any color scheme could have been used for Titans or Jets. 

The “Jet age” was periodic and fleeting. Yes, Jets are still used, but there’s really nothing special or novel about it.

At this point, it’s only relevant for the reason you state: emotional connection.

If you divorce yourself from a lifetime cheering for it, it’s a stupid name. Doesn’t mean I don’t live my team. I’m just very good at shelving bias and looking at it practically. No biggie, really.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Jets are badass. Fast, high, powerful, deadly at times. Plus being right by the airport seeing countless Jets fly over metlife is kind of fitting 

lol

you sound like a 14- year old “fast, powerful, like a ninja doing Kung-fu with an m16”

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

No,  Sonny Werblin and his partners purchased the Titans from Harry Wismer.  The purchase price? Assuming about $1 million in team debts for Wismer, who was pretty much a drunk.  When Leon Hess and his bitter jealous cohorts forced Werblin to sell his share of the team in 1968, the franchise value had gone from $1 million to $15 million in five years - and that was BEFORE the SB win.

Interesting, thank you for clearing that up SW. One of the things that Parcells did when he came in was change the uniforms because he did not want any association with the losing past. I feel like in one quick swoop, Woody aloud a losing mentality to creep back in, even if it were ever so slightly, by honoring the Titans and wearing ($elling) their uniforms. Very Jetsy. I hope in the future we honor the SB winning team  instead of the dreadful Titans. 

• Upvote 1

The “Jet age” was periodic and fleeting. Yes, Jets are still used, but there’s really nothing special or novel about it.

At this point, it’s only relevant for the reason you state: emotional connection.

If you divorce yourself from a lifetime cheering for it, it’s a stupid name. Doesn’t mean I don’t live my team. I’m just very good at shelving bias and looking at it practically. No biggie, really.

You don’t still wear skinny ties ?

A7892732-D53B-42D6-8F6C-2FEE69D61C83.jpeg

I’m not sure how the Jet age was fleeting. You using a transporter when you travel?

I mean, this is true for lots of names right? Packers? Red Sox? (and yes, any kind of winning tradition helps in this regard, but I'd still argue on the list of stupid nicknames Jets ranks fairly low)

4 hours ago, docdhc said:

I’m not sure how the Jet age was fleeting. You using a transporter when you travel?

Oh, my bad, you’re right… people always talk about how we’re in the Jet age, while smoking and drinking at work like Don Draper.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, this is true for lots of names right? Packers? Red Sox? (and yes, any kind of winning tradition helps in this regard, but I'd still argue on the list of stupid nicknames Jets ranks fairly low)

True, yes.

Its still a stupid name.

8 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

As it was at Shea.

Also playing in the same city same stadium as the Mets added to the appeal of the name.