There is no defense for drafting defense

Snell41

9 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Yes I am. I want 2 WR’s, so when Elijah Moore pulls a hammy we’re moving Corey Davis into rotation instead of Vyncent friggin Smith. I want a TE that puts Uzomah on the bench to be the solid backup he should be. I want a Center that puts McGovern on the bench to be the fine backup Center that he is. I’m gonna have to gamble on Becton actually showing up, but an offense with a rotation of 2 premier rookie WR’s, a premier TE, along with Moore, Davis, and Carter should be downright unstoppable if they choose the right players.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Solid team building philosophy.  Any time you can take a $10 million WR, $8 million TE and $9 million center and move them to the bench you should do it.

• Haha 1

Solid team building philosophy.  Any time you can take a $10 million WR, $8 million TE and $9 million center and move them to the bench you should do it.

Haha, so let’s roll with Corey Davis and CJ Uzomah ??. That’s how you help your project QB we took #2 overall. Brilliant. Welp, start scouting QB’s for 2023.

5 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Again, if you read my post I clearly said we have to roll with Becton. JD should not have the luxury of throwing 1st round picks at mistakes he made barely 2 years ago. He signed Lawson to be our pass rusher. He extended Franklin Meyers to man the other side. He drafted Becton in the first round 2 years ago. For better or worse we roll with those guys. Our first 2 rounds need to go full offense. We have not had a consistent top 10 offense since the 1960’s, why did we waste a #2 overall pick on QB?

What do you see as being the positions of the first 2 picks - WR is one, what is the other? Other than a double dip at WR I'm not seeing an option for two picks on offense, if OT is ruled out (which we both seem to think it should be).

What do you see as being the positions of the first 2 picks - WR is one, what is the other? Other than a double dip at WR I'm not seeing an option for two picks on offense, if OT is ruled out (which we both seem to think it should be).

Honestly I’d draft WR at both, London and Williams. Everyone on this forum has conceded this coming year we will not be competitive, so why not spend this year boosting the ever loving sh*t out of our QB. Give him one of the most dangerous offensive units in the league by having 4 legitimate WR option. Corey Davis will likely be gone next season anyway. With the return of players like Lawson on D plus the signings we made our D will be better than last year. Nothing we add to D in the draft makes us a contender this year, just as adding it on O doesn’t either. But stacking our offense gives our very vulnerable QB a fighting chance, why in the world would we not be doing that?

15 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Haha, so let’s roll with Corey Davis and CJ Uzomah ??. That’s how you help your project QB we took #2 overall. Brilliant. Welp, start scouting QB’s for 2023.

We have 4 picks in the top 40.  2/3 could fix our defense while we add a WR with one of them.  Not that hard to help the WR room while also building the TEAM.

And not to allow this conversation to fall into actual football strategy, but do you think Zach's development could at all be influenced by not having to play from behind 90% of the time?  Do you think its easier to take check downs and manage the game when your defense can make a stop once in a while?

The thesis that you should play fantasy football isnt how the game actually works. Give him a team that can get a stop or create a turnover and see how he does then

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Honestly I’d draft WR at both, London and Williams. Everyone on this forum has conceded this coming year we will not be competitive, so why not spend this year boosting the ever loving sh*t out of our QB. Give him one of the most dangerous offensive units in the league by having 4 legitimate WR option. Corey Davis will likely be gone next season anyway. With the return of players like Lawson on D plus the signings we made our D will be better than last year. Nothing we add to D in the draft makes us a contender this year, just as adding it on O doesn’t either. But stacking our offense gives our very vulnerable QB a fighting chance, why in the world would we not be doing that?

Williams is an interesting one ... you know you won't get anything out of him this year, but if he's there at the right spot he'll be good value. I wouldn't want him at 10 though. Will he last till late first / early second? Essentially you're spending a pick this year for a guy that you could potentially draft similar in the first round next year, so picking the right spot is key. 

Like you say there's a lot of perceived value behind drafting WRs after the crazy FA signings, but that could be a blip that corrects itself next year ... or a sign of things to come. That's what JD gets paid the big bucks to decide on. Given his philosophy so far I'll be amazed if it happens (barring a trade up or a fall to Rd 2).

Embarrassing post.  Clearly the OP has played Madden is whole life and has zero clue how to build a team.  GET ME WRs, RBs and TEs!!!! Holy crap.  I would assume the OP wonders why the QB doesnt run backwards 25 yards before they pass (ala, Madden).  Delete this post. Horrible.

• Upvote 1

We had one of the worst scoring defense in NFL history-I rest my case

We’ve also had some of the best D’s in the league over the past 2 decades and got nowhere. We have a QB we drafted #2 overall, how about we try a different tact and actually help one of these kids succeed for once. I rest my case

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

We’ve also had some of the best D’s in the league over the past 2 decades and got nowhere. We have a QB we drafted #2 overall, how about we try a different tact and actually help one of these kids succeed for once. I rest my case

This seems unlikely :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Embarrassing post.  Clearly the OP has played Madden is whole life and has zero clue how to build a team.  GET ME WRs, RBs and TEs!!!! Holy crap.  I would assume the OP wonders why the QB doesnt run backwards 25 yards before they pass (ala, Madden).  Delete this post. Horrible.

Yes let’s keep drafting D, Sauce at 4 and Hamilton at 10 for the win! It’s hilarious how we draft QB’s top 3 overall and then expect them to come in a become studs with the likes of Quincy Enunwa and Corey ******* Davis. I wondered why we suck so badly over the past 4 decades and it’s because fans like you deserve Defense.

We have 4 picks in the top 40.  2/3 could fix our defense while we add a WR with one of them.  Not that hard to help the WR room while also building the TEAM.
And not to allow this conversation to fall into actual football strategy, but do you think Zach's development could at all be influenced by not having to play from behind 90% of the time?  Do you think its easier to take check downs and manage the game when your defense can make a stop once in a while?
The thesis that you should play fantasy football isnt how the game actually works. Give him a team that can get a stop or create a turnover and see how he does then

We just went through a season where winning was not the goal. We’re going into another season where we’re clearly not going to contend. So your answer is tp draft to stack our D, and when Zach has another terrible year because he has no weapons we’ll be drafting a new QB to play on a team with a stacked D and no ******* offensive weapons. How many times through this cycle before this fan base and team wakes up?

Yes let’s keep drafting D, Sauce at 4 and Hamilton at 10 for the win! It’s hilarious how we draft QB’s top 3 overall and then expect them to come in a become studs with the likes of Quincy Enunwa and Corey ******* Davis. I wondered why we suck so badly over the past 4 decades and it’s because fans like you deserve Defense.

The way you'd like to run this team sucks. Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Snell41 said:

This team has been drafting defense for the past 2 decades. We have constantly thrown the majority of resources towards the defensive side of the ball, and being honest up until recently it worked. We’ve employed some of the better defenses in the NFL over a good portion of time. What has that gotten us? I’ve watched this team continuously struggle to score even 20 points. Ryan Fitzpatrick was literally the only entertaining offense. It’s awful. I’m so tired of losing games 20-6 with such unwatchable football. I can’t anymore. We’ve drafted 3 QB’s in a row and give them nothing. I don’t care if we go 0-17 next year if we’re scoring 30+ a game, give this kid a friggin chance and build an offense that puts up 30 a game. You can turn a defense around in one season. You rarely get chances to have a franchise QB. I’m the biggest critic of Zach, so give him every weapon possible to prove himself. The idea of draft “Sauce” or a Safety/DT makes me vomit. Draft offense. Draft playmakers. Multiple playmakers. A defensive HC shouldn’t need high round picks at every position to field a decent D.

We need an edge rusher badly.  You can't just close your eyes and wish that away just because of past managerial mistakes.

You're letting emotion trump logic.

• Upvote 2

This seems unlikely  

You know what dude, **** off. You want this place to be all roses and happiness over the sh*t we’ve been fed for decades go ahead and have it. As a moderator singling me out for being unhappy with a team that has given nothing to be happy about for years and I’m supposed to post exciting things about drafting Sauce Gardner while my QB is passing the Braxton ******* Berrios. Seriously, **** off.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

You know what dude, **** off. You want this place to be all roses and happiness over the sh*t we’ve been fed for decades go ahead and have it. As a moderator singling me out for being unhappy with a team that has given nothing to be happy about for years and I’m supposed to post exciting things about drafting Sauce Gardner while my QB is passing the Braxton ******* Berrios. Seriously, **** off.

I'll bet you sit when you pee. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Worst defense in franchise history that gave up 500 points for the first time ever after going offense early and often last year sounds like a pretty good defense for drafting defense IMO.

You could make an argument that keeping them off the field for another 5 to 10 minutes a game with a competent offense might help.  We ranked 31st in offensive TOP last year.