Jump to content

Bomb for Bryce


TommyT
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Not sure about that.  If Zach Wilson actually turns out to be a decent QB, the Jets will probably win 8 to 10 games.  The season is really riding on Wilson.

If he turns out to be a flop, I expect that JD and RS will see the writing on the wall and prepare to "ROSEN" him in 2023.

Sooooooo much comes down to the QB.  No QB = No Chance. 

Maybe I’m a little pessimistic, but I think even with meaningful improvement from Wilson it will still be a challenge to win more than 7 games next year given the youth on our team and difficult schedule.  Hope I’m wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lith said:

This is what some don't seem to get.  I am advocating for defense in the first round because that is where the strength of this draft lies.  That is not the same as saying ignore offennse in the draft.  If we have not added at least one playmaker in R2 and preferably two by the end of day 2, I will be upset.

Reaching for a WR is how you end up drafting Corey Davis at 5.  Or John Ross at 9.

my problem with this is that there is going to be a the best WR in this draft taken somewhere in rd 1. and we are going to lose out of him if we wait for rd 2.

reaching isnt a bad thing if you know what your doing.

in 2017 we give Mac a lot of sh*t for picking Adams and not Mahomes or Watson. but i think Mac was doing what you guys all want JD to do. take the safe pick. dont reach.

i looked back at 4 or 5 mocks from 2017 and they all were pretty much the same.

Adams was a top 5 in all of them. some even had him going as high as 3. and Watson and Mahomes? they were all late 1st rd picks. one even had Watson not in the 1st rd.

now Mac might have liked those 2 QBs but said to himself that he couldn't pick them as high as 6. they were not "Worthy" of the 6 pick. so he took Adams who was picked right at about where he was supposed to go according to the experts. 

on the flip side Chicago took Trubinsky 1st and he was predicted to go around 10. so they reached and got it wrong, and KC and HOU reached and got it right. Mac played it safe and in the long run got it wrong. and we all assumed it was because we had Hack, but its obvious now that it wasnt. it would have been too much of a reach to draft Mahomes or Watson at 6th. but we never look at it like that.

years from now we are going to look back at this draft and as we always do we are going to look at the good players we didnt get. and unless there taken in the top 3 we should get the 2 best players drafted in rd 1. i would hate to lose out on a really good WR just because it was too high to pick him at 10. same for Edge at 4. 

JD could very well pick a bust WR at 10, but at that spot he has his pick of ANY WR instead of waiting till rd 2 where the guys he really likes will be gone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2022 at 8:17 AM, mattg said:

Sure, why not. If we perpetually suck every year, we're bound to hit one eventually. I think Wilson will rise to next level and be our generational talent. Cut this dude some slack

I hope that happens.  If it's not going to happen though, I hope he completely bombs out and are in a position to draft Bryce Young (though I think there's supposed to be a 2nd great QB in next year's draft too).  The worst place to be is around .500 while missing the playoffs.  Mediocre but with the worst draft pick of the teams that missed the playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wilson’s rookie stats are a lot closer to Josh Rosen than even guys like Tua or Jamies Winston. 
 

all rookies that go to bad teams early on the draft have bad talent around them. 
 

please spare me the “he’s a rookie on a bad team “ stuff.  You can look at lots of rookies on bad teams and Wilson  just doesn’t cut it. 
 

Sack showed us things we didn’t see from Sanchez or Darnold, bounce passes and bailing out of the back door when pressure comes, taking deep shotgun snaps and back pedaling, poor footwork, things that you see in guys who are getting “Carr’d”

Hes not the best rookie in his draft class and we don’t talk about it much but JD looks like he might be putting some decent talent around a QB he ruined with that awful rookie year plan. 
 

Other than hope there are no metrics that point to Sack working out. He’s terrible under pressure, holds the ball too long and panics when pressure comes. 
 

when everything is right, he zips it in there but we’re not catching Miami with that. 
 

You can just plug in Teddy B or Trubisky and instantly be better 

If you’re going to go with the shiny new toy approach, draft a rookie, you have to have a better plan than JD had.  
 

it’s just an awful realization that given the AFC and our division that next year we might be right back in the soup. 
 

Please forgive the screen shot I couldn’t copy the text. 
 

an optimist sees Eli or Stafford, honestly I hope it’s true, but Eli and Stafford or super tough. I just see too much Rosen in Sack

 

 

3075F6AF-1F92-4F4B-B8B2-FF24AA22C823.png

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2022 at 6:32 AM, faba said:

Lets just lose every year and look forward to next year. Have to hope this regime can finally get it right with Wilson

We’ve been doing that for years

Sad Michael Scott GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2022 at 4:29 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

It would be real difficult to pin my franchise's hopes on a kid named "Bryce".  

He probably has a middle name or a nickname.  Worst case we can call him "Sauce" Young.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2022 at 8:10 AM, TommyT said:

Silly thought regarding drafting a qb in 2023, but some say Bryce Young might be in the generational talent category. You never know.

50 thumbs down and you’re automatically banned for a month. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/30/2022 at 3:22 PM, Larz said:

Wilson’s rookie stats are a lot closer to Josh Rosen than even guys like Tua or Jamies Winston. 
 

all rookies that go to bad teams early on the draft have bad talent around them. 
 

please spare me the “he’s a rookie on a bad team “ stuff.  You can look at lots of rookies on bad teams and Wilson  just doesn’t cut it. 
 

Sack showed us things we didn’t see from Sanchez or Darnold, bounce passes and bailing out of the back door when pressure comes, taking deep shotgun snaps and back pedaling, poor footwork, things that you see in guys who are getting “Carr’d”

Hes not the best rookie in his draft class and we don’t talk about it much but JD looks like he might be putting some decent talent around a QB he ruined with that awful rookie year plan. 
 

Other than hope there are no metrics that point to Sack working out. He’s terrible under pressure, holds the ball too long and panics when pressure comes. 
 

when everything is right, he zips it in there but we’re not catching Miami with that. 
 

You can just plug in Teddy B or Trubisky and instantly be better 

If you’re going to go with the shiny new toy approach, draft a rookie, you have to have a better plan than JD had.  
 

it’s just an awful realization that given the AFC and our division that next year we might be right back in the soup. 
 

Please forgive the screen shot I couldn’t copy the text. 
 

an optimist sees Eli or Stafford, honestly I hope it’s true, but Eli and Stafford or super tough. I just see too much Rosen in Sack

 

 

3075F6AF-1F92-4F4B-B8B2-FF24AA22C823.png

Every rookie QB is in the same boat and it’s going to be a good class. The ones who improve will be great.  but whoever your favorite was - Fields, Wilson, Lance, or Lawrence -  is probably still your favorite. They all showed the potential they had in college.  

The ones who don’t improve will be out of the league.   And Mac Jones will have a nice career as a noodle armed backup.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Every rookie QB is in the same boat and it’s going to be a good class. The ones who improve will be great.  but whoever your favorite was - Fields, Wilson, Lance, or Lawrence -  is probably still your favorite. They all showed the potential they had in college.  

The ones who don’t improve will be out of the league.   And Mac Jones will have a nice career as a noodle armed backup.  

Pretty much this.  Furthermore, and I hate admitting this because I tried to defend it so badly in 2017-2018, Rosen genuinely doesn’t seem to give a sh*t.  I have never seen a first round pick flame out with such a whimper.  I genuinely think the guy is fine with being a backup, collecting some money, and moving on from the game pretty quickly.  I don’t get that vibe from Wilson and nothing said about him gives me the vibe that he’ll become that type of guy.

My other hot take?  Goff is more than serviceable.  Especially in a league where Tannehill, Jimmy G, Mariota, Wentz, and Trubisky, are looked at in the same way.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2022 at 4:30 PM, JiFapono said:

Ugh, I hate this thread, I really just rather wish and hope and think maybe Zach doesnt actually suck but it's possible he just does.  That said, if it does happen, I think I'm done with this franchise and drafting QB's.  Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade and just admit you cant do something.  I gave up trying to hit a draw.  Cant do it consistently but bet your bottom dollar I can hit a nice little butter cut 9 times out of 10 and as soon as I gave up trying, I started shaving strokes.  lol 

Go find a vet and hope to hit lightening in the bottle for a little while.  When I think of the best offensive teams in our history, they were led by veterans we picked up in trade or FA; Fitz and Testaverde.  Be cowards like the Colts.  At this point, mediocrity would be a welcomed change. 

We should do both.

You never stop trying to find the guy, not in this league. It's just too valuable but I'm definitely done with us drafting a guy and then giving him an uncontested ride to the starting spot. The last good QB we actually had sat behind the starter for two years despite being a first rounder. We don't necessarily have to do that again but we should bring in a guy who will at least guarantee competence at the QB position. Our play at QB has been so bad in the last few years that it's almost impossible the rest of the offence.

With another receiver added this offence is more than good enough to at least be middle of the road. If it's a bottom feeder once more then we have no choice but to move on from Wilson and go again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hope for sure but let's not be dopes.

There was no inspirational emotional play The majority of the year.Hopefully the coach brings the gas this year and understand it's on him it's on him to bring The inspiration play out of all the players.

Teams have one for Super Bowls with average quarterbacks they had a run game and some defense.

GO Saleh bring the Gas this year!! Its on you I'm cheering for you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2022 at 10:22 AM, Lith said:

This is what some don't seem to get.  I am advocating for defense in the first round because that is where the strength of this draft lies.  That is not the same as saying ignore offennse in the draft.  If we have not added at least one playmaker in R2 and preferably two by the end of day 2, I will be upset.

Reaching for a WR is how you end up drafting Corey Davis at 5.  Or John Ross at 9.

I think you are 50 % right here.  You can also say that defense is the "weak" part of this year's draft and that would also be 50 % correct.

A good blanket statement that would be more accurate, I think...

There are no stand-out, "must have", "generational" prospects in the draft for either offense or defense.  There are many "solid" players, but none are blockbuster prospects.

However... After giving a real good look at the top 30 big board, I'm going to make a prediction.

Although no "generational" prospects that the world is going nuts for, this year's draft class is going to produce more pro-bowl players and players that last a decade in the league than any of the last five draft classes did. 

I really don't see too many of the first round players, especially the top ten turning out to be busts.  There is going to be a lot of production and value out of this class.  

With Ickey, Sauce, Hutch, London, Hamilton, Thibx, in line, the Jets are going to come away with two very good players unless JD really messes up.  Any combination of two of those prospects is going to be a home run,  I'm hoping for Ickey and Sauce, but I think it will probably be Sauce/Hamilton or Sauce/London as Ickey will probably be gone by 4 if the Jags or Texans have a smart GM.

Here is how I think it will go down.

1. Jags - Ickey

2. Lions - Hutch

3.  Texans - Neal

4. Jets - Sauce

5.  Giants - Cross (wishing it was Ickey or Neal.  Could also be a trade out since their two fave OL guys are gone)

6.  Pathers - Kenny Picket ( the only questionable pick in the top ten)

7.  Giants - Stingley (few would agree with me, but I think this is what they do here.  Could also be Thibx or could be a trade out)

8.  Falcons - Drake London

9.  Seahawks - (this is a hard one.  Could be Thibx if the Giants dont take him or Stingley or Jordan Davis or a trade out)

10. Jets: Hamilton

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...