MOCK DRAFT: TRADE BONANZA

PepPep

I usually don't mock trades because they are impossible to predict. But I thought I'd have some fun and post a mock with a couple BIG TIME JD TRADES. 

Rd. 1a: TRADE!: Jets trade the #4 overall pick along with their 4th round pick for DK Metcalf and Seattles 2nd Round pick. 

Let's start off with a bang. Neal, Thib and Hutch go top 3. No surprise there. Jets can go a number of ways. Ekwonu, Sauce, Hamilton or a top Edge rusher seems to make the most sense. However, JD maneuvers a trade with Seattle for DK Metcalf. Never going to happen? I disagree. All it takes is for Seattle to fall in love with Malik Willis. If they DO- they are not trading for the #4 overall pick, they are trading for their Franchise QB. JD has ALL the leverage here. He can demand DK in return. The Hawks have ATL, CAR, and NYG (x2) selecting ahead of them. ALL QB needy teams. JD can literally say- I have these teams on the phone asking about Malik. In fact, because this allows for the Hawks to keep their top 10 pick and get another impact player, I have JD getting Seattles 2nd rounder for the Jets 4th. Unless Willis turns into a complete stud, JD fleeces the Hawks yet again. 

Rd. 1b: Travon Walker- Edge: While I think Sauce will be gone by now, I think there is a good chance Walker will still be on the board. There are enough QB needy teams selecting in the top 10 and enough top end talent that ATL, CAR, NYG (x2) can go in other directions. While I'm not 100% sold on Walker, he seems like a PERFECT fit for the Jets. He fits the athletic profile JD loves, he is versatile and can play all over the line, he has no character questions and comes from a championship team (fits the new Jets/Saleh culture mold), he comes from a system where linemen are asked to rotate frequently and do different things, he fills a need. His production is questionable but the fit is just perfect. The stars align and he falls to 10 for the Jets. 

Rd. 1- 19: TRADE: JD gets aggressive and we see the Jest move up for Devin Lloyd. The 19th pick is worth 875, the Jets give up both of their 2nd rounders (total of 1,070), overpaying slightly, for the privilege to draft the best LB in the draft. Lloyd will step right in and start next to Mosley. He will eventually take over for Mosley as the Mike. He has elite instincts at the position. Great production coming out of Utah. Great measurables (size, speed, etc.)- comparable to great NFL LBs like Fred Warner and Darius Leonard. He is the whole package and will make an immediate impact on this defense. 

Rd. 2: Seattle pick 41: Kenneth Walker III- RB: Just to be clear. The Jets will never take a RB this early. But I love Walker and I am not passing on him. I know lot of people like Breece Hall but I really prefer Walker and think (while he is not as balanced) he is easily the more explosive, elusive, dangerous RB of the two. I think he pairs well with Carter as an early down back and fits the system REALLY well with his style of running.  

Rd. 3: Greg Dulcich- TE: The Jets add a pass catching TE. While the Jets signed CJ and Conklin- two big bodies vet TEs to give Zach a security blanket, Dulcich serves as a more versatile 'weapon' at the TE position who can be moved out to the outside, used as a Y or even as an H back.   

Rd. 4: TRADED TO SEATTLE.

Rd. 4.: Kellen Diesch- OT: JD continues building the trenches. Raw but highly productive, Diesch has the skill and athleticism to develop into a starting LT in the NFL. This is a much needed depth pick with upside. 

Rd. 5: D'Marco Jackson- LB: Jets add another athletic LB to their depleted group. Another much needed depth selection with upside.  

Rd. 5:  Neil Farrell Jr.- DT: Have I mentioned that JD likes to build through the trenches? Farrell is a prototypical 4-3 DT who is great against the run and can add some value as a penetrator. A nice depth selection after losing Fat.

FINAL HAUL: DK Metcalf, Travon Walker, Devin Lloyd, Kenneth Walker III, Greg Dulcich, Kellen Diesch, D'Marco Jackson, and Neil Farrell Jr.

4 players on offense, 4 players on defense. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3

so Metcalf who is one of the best WRs in the game and is only 24 is only going to cost us one 1st rd pick and a 4th? oh and we get a 2nd rd back?

come back to reality bro. its never happening.

and because JD fleeced them with Adams our trade will cost more. Seattle cant get abused by JD again.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, doitny said:

so Metcalf who is one of the best WRs in the game and is only 24 is only going to cost us one 1st rd pick and a 4th? oh and we get a 2nd rd back?

and because JD fleeced them with Adams our trade will cost more. Seattle cant get abused by JD again.

That's way more value than the Chiefs got for Hill. Look at the trade value chart for #4 overall vs #29.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That's more value than the Chiefs got for Hill.

if Seattle trades Metcalf then there rebuilding. there going to want more draft picks.

a 4 and 111th picks, AND give them back a 2nd? so they only traded him for 1 pick. and he is 24 as  opposed to Hill who is 28. so yeah were going to have to give up more. age matters at WR.

i know your looking at draft value chart but at the end of the day its Metcalf for one draft pick. and with a draft with no superstars at the top i wouldnt value 4 that high. 

7 minutes ago, doitny said:

if Seattle trades Metcalf then there rebuilding. there going to want more draft picks.

a 4 and 111th picks, AND give them back a 2nd? so they only traded him for 1 pick. and he is 24 as  opposed to Hill who is 28. so yeah were going to have to give up more. age matters at WR.

i know your looking at draft value chart but at the end of the day its Metcalf for one draft pick. and with a draft with no superstars at the top i wouldnt value 4 that high. 

They just traded Russell Wilson, of course they're rebuilding. The only way I see them trading up to 4 is if they love a QB they aren't sure will be there at 9.

I  don't think it makes sense for them to move Metcalf tbh.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

They just traded Russell Wilson, of course they're rebuilding. The only way I see them trading up to 4 is if they love a QB they aren't sure will be there at 9.

Just watched Panther brass on ESPN, rumored to have their eye on one of the QBs and possibly making a move to 6 for one.  If Seattle falls in love with one of the QBs, the 4th overall could become gold.  

I dont believe for a second its important for Seattle to stay away from a trade with JD or just have to rip us off to make up for Jamal.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That's way more value than the Chiefs got for Hill. Look at the trade value chart for #4 overall vs #29.

Hill is three years older and needed a mega contract. Metcalf is in the final season of his rookie deal. Seattle could be concerned about having to pay him next year, looking to get something in return for him now. I’d expect him to cost more. 

I think I’d rather draft a WR with one of their firsts than make this trade, though. Get your favorite WR on a rookie deal for five years rather than pay DK $25M/year starting next season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Hill is three years older and needed a mega contract. Metcalf is in the final season of his rookie deal. Seattle could be concerned about having to pay him next year, looking to get something in return for him now. I’d expect him to cost more. 

I think I’d rather draft a WR with one of their firsts than make this trade, though. Get your favorite WR on a rookie deal for five years rather than pay DK $25M/year starting next season. 

I think if they were willing to trade him and wanted 4 for a QB we could do something like 4, 38 & 69 for 9 & Metcalf. That's more in line with the Hill trade.

We could still take a WR in the first two rounds in that scenario. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, slats said:

You would hope the domestic abuse case of beating his pregnant girlfriend has at least some discount attached. 

2 hours ago, doitny said:

I thought the price was too high honestly. Maybe for their 10th back. You make that trade, you’re paying the kid at least 22-25 mill a year. Puts stress on the salary cap. Not like you’re getting him for a bargain for the next 3-4 years.

• Sympathy 1

there's a certain logic in trading a top pick for a young, proven wr depending on how much is left on the contract.  the rest of this draft?  i like the edge and the lb.  don't like the rb in the second round.  the jets could use another rb but they have a decent stater in carter and a good back up with coleman.  johnson shows some flashes.  perrine?  who knows.  i think i'd rather see them pick another oline in a higher round.

18 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

With DK it'll come down to are they willing to pay him $30mm a year on a rebuilding roster.  If they're not they might prefer to trade him now - rather than let him walk for nothing later...

To clarify a few things about the Metcalf trade (which I think I mentioned but will reiterate):

1. It assumes Seattle loves Willis. OBVIOUSLY if they didn't think Willis was a potential Franchise QB they would not make this trade.

2. It assumes NYG, CAR, and ATL are interested in a QB (which you have to think they are)- making Willis potentially unavailable at 9 for Seattle. 

3. Yes, Seattle 'starts their search for a QB' by trading a great WR as one poster stated. However, WITHOUT this trade, they may not have a Franchise QB. Also, this trade scenario allows them to keep the #9 pick, at which point they can select a top flight WR to complement Lockett (a solid, more dependable vet WR they already HAVE on the team) if they chose to do so. Although I would imagine they take an OT- but I digress.

4. Metcalf is young but he is due a monster contract soon. And Seattle is rebuilding. This COULD mean they are ok with re-signing him. It coudl also mean, they may want to part ways and start from scratch. We don't really know. IMO, if it means they get a potential Franchise QB and accelerate their rebuild- they would rather part ways. 

5. JD has made it pretty clear he WOULD RATHER take on a proven vet WR, even if the salary is high than gamble on a rookie. So, IMO, while YOU may like Wilson or London or Williams or whomever on a 'rookie deal'- seems to me like JD would rather have a young, proven stud who is locked up for 25mil a year through the duration of Zachs rookie deal. 

6. To people who are saying Seattle will want more draft picks. I repeat- JD has all the leverage. If Seattle wants their franchise QB, they will have to pay up. The #4 overall pick (to draft a Franchise QB) + a 4th rounder for Metcalf and a 2nd does not sound THAT unreasonable to me. You can throw your draft pick point chart out the window for this one. It all depends on how badly Seattle wants Malik vs how much they value Metcalf. And like I said, JD can just say- hey, I have the NYG, ATL, CAR on the phone calling about Malik (which may be true!)

Does the trade make a little more sense now? Anyway, just having some fun. I am fully aware it will never happen. lol. Mainly b/c Willis is not the type of elite prospect teams will be pining for.