Joe Douglas - “Yes, we are operating like Mekhi is going to be one of our two tackles”

19 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

You think they're drafting for depth in the first 2 rounds?  Idk.  Seems like if they are going in with Fant and Becton at each T position, that's a nice late round project type pick rather than a priority.  

Unless they’re worried about relying on Becton. If he fails, takes too long to rehab, then it’s a rotating door at tackle and a mess again. 

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

You think they're drafting for depth in the first 2 rounds?  Idk.  Seems like if they are going in with Fant and Becton at each T position, that's a nice late round project type pick rather than a priority.  

Here's the thing man, it's not really depth if you think about it.  Becton averages about 7.5 games played per year.  And our backup, Morgan Moses, even missed a couple games last year.  We no longer have him.  He was thought to be a luxury and then turned into a necessity which, if we didn't have him, might have derailed Zach's development even more than it was.

OT is also one of the singlemost important positions on the team (both sides of the ball).  It's also JD's biggest priority since the minute he got here.

It's funny.  I've heard the comment, "well, you can't just keep drafting OL in the 1st round all the time," to which I say that yes, you can, and you probably should until you have a pretty stable and competent lineup.  I could flip it and ask the same question about WR.... Why do you need to draft a WR again?  We just used two consecutive 2nd round picks and signed a big FA in Corey Davis last year.

• Upvote 1

“Operating like” is the same as “relying on his representation,” which is an interesting choice of words because it actually creates distance between the expectation that Becton is playing tackle and the reality of same. It’s once-removed from certainty and to me it means there’s something going on behind the scenes, and the Jets brass while hoping for the best is not sure. I just hope that JD is hedging.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

I certainly hope the **** not. 

Becton was Joe Douglas’ first ever draft pick. He has a vested interest in seeing him be successful. Saleh is on board with similar comments. Another first round OL would be overkill. Edge and WR. No OL before round three this year. 

And JD, followed it with Bectons friend in the 4th round.   JD is suspect.   Its that simple.    He is not special as most thought.  

• Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It's funny.  I've heard the comment, "well, you can't just keep drafting OL in the 1st round all the time," to which I say that yes, you can, and you probably should until you have a pretty stable and competent lineup.

The Jets have a stable and competent OL. 

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I could flip it and ask the same question about WR.... Why do you need to draft a WR again?  We just used two consecutive 2nd round picks and signed a big FA in Corey Davis last year.

Even if you don’t get it, recent actions from the front office suggest that they do. As for insurance at the OT spot, they had that on the roster in Morgan Moses and let him walk for $5M/year in Washington. At WR, they just missed out on sending Kansas City at least two second round picks for the right to pay Tyreek Hill $30M/year. Looks like WR is the bigger priority. 

You need an OL capable of giving your playmakers enough time and space to make plays. The Jets have that. What they lack are playmakers. JD might still be trying to make a trade at the position happen but, if he doesn’t, a WR in the first round would certainly make sense. 

• Upvote 1

Evan Neal, Ikey Ekwonu and Tristan Wirfs to not have their bellies hanging over their belt.  That is not good, healthy body mass.  Becton is big and strong but not in the shape in needs to be in.  That is useless weight that only contributes to injury and other negative biological things.  

19 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

They are going to let Fant and Becton compete for LT. Sounds like they want the best man for the job on Zach’s blindside. The other guy moved to RT.

With no high-quality backup OT like Moses on the roster so far in 2022, I still believe OT is firmly on the table in the first two rounds this year. After all, Douglas is making it clear that he’s not sure who is playing left and right this season, and we only have one starting caliber OT on the roster beyond 2022, and that guy has proven to be less than completely reliable.

Don't sleep on Chuma Edoga being a quality back up for RT this season.  I do believe he has been developing into a solid player right under our noses. He is turning 25 this season, I would not be surprised if he emerges from camp as the primary backup RT. 

People should remember that with Douglas and Saleh it is about player development. You don't make a decision on a players future after one or even two seasons. 

19 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Becton is the right tackle.  He got wally pipped by Fant last year.  

I honestly think that, given the luxury we have with Fant, Becton should be RT. I think he has a bit more of that run blocking/steamroller mindset. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets have a stable and competent OL. 

Even if you don’t get it, recent actions from the front office suggest that they do. As for insurance at the OT spot, they had that on the roster in Morgan Moses and let him walk for $5M/year in Washington. At WR, they just missed out on sending Kansas City at least two second round picks for the right to pay Tyreek Hill $30M/year. Looks like WR is the bigger priority. 

You need an OL capable of giving your playmakers enough time and space to make plays. The Jets have that. What they lack are playmakers. JD might still be trying to make a trade at the position happen but, if he doesn’t, a WR in the first round would certainly make sense. 

In the wide/outside zone blocking scheme the playmakers are actually the OL and the RB is the replaceable piece as evidenced by using 1st round picks on Becton and AVT, and a 4th on Michael Carter.  I'm being a bit facetious here... but only a bit.

I agree that the Jets need a true outside playmaker at WR (or TE), but there isn't an "elite" player like a Tyreek Hill or Jamar Chase in this Draft IMO.  We'll talk ourselves into thinking Garrett Wilson or someone is that guy, but it's unlikely.  Best move would be to try to trade 35 and 38 for DK Metcalf.

17 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Unless they’re worried about relying on Becton. If he fails, takes too long to rehab, then it’s a rotating door at tackle and a mess again. 

True but they found Moses last year during camp, no?  I just dont think you go drafting for depth that early when the strength of the team was OL, they just upgraded the opposite side guard from AVT.  McDermott and Edoga are still on the roster too, no? 

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Here's the thing man, it's not really depth if you think about it.  Becton averages about 7.5 games played per year.  And our backup, Morgan Moses, even missed a couple games last year.  We no longer have him.  He was thought to be a luxury and then turned into a necessity which, if we didn't have him, might have derailed Zach's development even more than it was.

OT is also one of the singlemost important positions on the team (both sides of the ball).  It's also JD's biggest priority since the minute he got here.

It's funny.  I've heard the comment, "well, you can't just keep drafting OL in the 1st round all the time," to which I say that yes, you can, and you probably should until you have a pretty stable and competent lineup.  I could flip it and ask the same question about WR.... Why do you need to draft a WR again?  We just used two consecutive 2nd round picks and signed a big FA in Corey Davis last year.

Well, for the sake of the thread titled "Joe Douglas - Yes, we are operating like Mekhi will be on of our 2 tackles" - it is really depth, when I think about it..., that way.  lol

I hear what you're saying but to my point above.  Moses was signed during camp as he shook loose, more of that will naturally happen and there are currently some very real plug and play veteran options available if they truly were worried about depth.  I do think the way you've presented Becton's availability is a bit unfair.  He played the 4th most snaps of any player on offense as a rookie and one of the games he missed with a cold or something during a covid season.  Last year was somewhat fluky, to get rolled up on like that was unfortunate week 1, so I dont think it's completely fair to say that he's only available 7.5 games a year.  

I say all that to say, this team is barren of talent and to commit another first round pick to what could potentially be for a player who doesnt even see the field, seems like poor roster management and a misuse of draft capital. 

In general, I think OL is a position where you can find talent throughout in every round.  I've seen people mocking Darian Kinnard as the 10-12th Tackle taken in the draft and if you're telling me right now, I can get Kinnard in the 4th round, I'd take that over any T prospect in the first as we continue to build out the rest of the roster with those early picks.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

21 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Becton is the right tackle.  He got wally pipped by Fant last year.  

This really seems to be exactly what the plan is. Becton on the right in 2022.  It maximizes the Tackle spots.  Fant is better on the left side and he did the most important job, pass blocking, very well.  

Becton is young and athletic, similar to AVT, he can make the change.  And most teams are Right handed run, having AVT and Mekhi on the right side will create incredible running lanes. 

I'm disappointed Mekhi isn't the rock solid LT but this arrangement maximizes the line in 2022 and he could always move back to the Left if Fant doesn't stick around. 

• Upvote 4

Sheeesh leave the guy alone. He was injured last year. When he was drafted and played everybody was woweee he’s a tank a monster. Since injured, everybody’s yapping he’s a bust bigger than Gholston. Let the year play out and see how he responds. He ain’t going nowhere this year. LT/RT same difference. You need 2 quality bookends nowadays. And he’s still learning, he’s just a kid. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Sheeesh leave the guy alone. He was injured last year. When he was drafted and played everybody was woweee he’s a tank a monster. Since injured, everybody’s yapping he’s a bust bigger than Gholston. Let the year play out and see how he responds. He ain’t going nowhere this year. LT/RT same difference. You need 2 quality bookends nowadays. And he’s still learning, he’s just a kid. 

I’ve never seen a player get attacked so much for getting injured, once.

• Upvote 2

On 3/29/2022 at 2:12 PM, Jet Nut said:

Here we go, 5 pages of posts dissecting every word from JD and looking for the deep mystic meaning of words like “operating” or “expectation”

Nothing better to do until the draft. Beats watching baseball...

13 minutes ago, viffer said:

Nothing better to do until the draft. Beats watching baseball...

Yeah, I'll take baseball over nonsense like trying to decipher a throw away comment in March thats pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

LFGM

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

I’ve never seen a player get attacked so much for getting injured, once.

Do you really think that's what this is about? One injury?

• Well, it was a 4 - 6 week injury for which he missed 18 weeks - and word is he still may not be ready for OTA's.
  • He tapped out of plays in multiple games as a rookie because he was tired/minor injuries
  • There have been public hints from both the GM and HC - that's he's not putting in the work necessary to get back.
  • He's also well know for having real weight issues in his past - and this seems to be creeping up again on him.

This is not about people attacking him or even giving up on him - but there are legitimate concerns and saying it's because of one injury is far to simplistic.