Joe Douglas - “Yes, we are operating like Mekhi is going to be one of our two tackles”

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

6 minutes for the first snarky "when I was his age..." comment to appear.  Like Thanos, it was inevitable.

Who had 6 minutes in the pool?

I think he's right though.  Doing 405 for 1, for an NFL T that weighs 360 pounds...really doesn't seem like a bid deal.  I can absolutely be wrong.  Would be interested to know what's standard for these guys.

I know plenty of regular people that can put up 300..

Now, I can be totally wrong and that jump from 300 to 400 is bigger than I think.

In that case I apologize to Mr. Becton.

21 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Lifting that amount of weight is impressive. But shouldn't he be doing cardio, not single rep weight training? Does anyone really question his strength?

What makes you think he's not doing cardio?  It's a single clip of a single rep someone took and posted.  Not fuel for the 'burn JD' agenda.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think he's right though.  Doing 405 for 1, for an NFL T that weighs 360 pounds...really doesn't seem like a bid deal.  I can absolutely be wrong.  Would be interested to know what's standard for these guys.

I know plenty of regular people that can put up 300..

Now, I can be totally wrong and that jump from 300 to 400 is bigger than I think.

In that case I apologize to Mr. Becton.

Really? With as long as his arms are? That was effortless, good look, no wonder when he can  stay on the field he rag dolls guys with a push. That is not  baby poop soft. Well done!!

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

On literally what planet?

About

Description

Mekhi Becton is an American football offensive tackle for the New York Jets of the National Football League. He played college football at Louisville and was selected by the Jets in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft. Wikipedia

Born: April 18, 1999 (age 22 years), Highland Springs, VA

Weight: 364 lbs

Height: 6′ 7″

Position: Tackle

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I'm more impressed that he did it on the ground as opposed to using a bench.

Interesting point.  I missed that originally.  Can't bump the bar off your chest and he didn't touch his elbows to the ground.  A few reps like that would seem to be harder than on the bench.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Please tell me how you deduced that Becton is not doing cardio from a seven second tweet video.

I believe the answer lies here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.[1] People display this bias when they select information that supports their views, ignoring contrary information, or when they interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing attitudes. The effect is strongest for desired outcomes, for emotionally charged issues, and for deeply entrenched beliefs. Confirmation bias cannot be eliminated entirely, but it can be managed, for example, by education and training in critical thinking skills.

Biased search for information, biased interpretation of this information, and biased memory recall, have been invoked to explain four specific effects:

• attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence)
  • belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false)
  • the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series)
  • illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Please tell me how you deduced that Becton is not doing cardio from a seven second tweet video.

Well, you know if something related to Becton doing aerobic exercise was posted, the critics would be braying that he's doing weak titty cardio when he should be in the weight room.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Big deal.

Its basically benching his weight. 
When I was his age I was benching 315 on my third set of ladders.

I weighted 190lbs. 

It is a big deal as it relates to what he does for a living, he has long arms can shove 405 lbs at least. He’s not a competitive lifter, he’s a D tackle that pushed people out of the way for a living. Man nothing makes a dudes insecurities  pop up like,” what can you bench man?” Haha 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Really? With as long as his arms are? That was effortless, good look, no wonder when he can  stay on the field he rag dolls guys with a push. That is not  baby poop soft. Well done!!

Becton has 35 3/8 arms in the 95th percentile of NFL OL

Guys with shorter arms have an easier time benching 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Becton has 35 3/8 arms in the 95th percentile of NFL OL

Guys with shorter arms have an easier time benching 

Just took another look. The concerning part isn’t the weight he’s doing. It’s the fact he’s not on a bench, sometimes that means low back and hamstring tight, could mean knee is still troublesome. Sorta like when dudes put their feet up on bench to flatten lumbar curve. Could just be stability or could mean he’s still struggling a bit. 

On 4/5/2022 at 5:23 PM, Saul Goodman said:

Wirfs hang cleans 450lbs as a college player, for reps

https://fb.watch/ccr9MuYY0T/

Yeah that’s pretty insane. Unfortunately Joe likely picked wrong, at least in the short term. But I’d imagine playing tackle for Tom Brady with his silly fast release is a nice thing fir a young tackle. 

Hopefully Becton can come back and  grow into a solid tackle for a decade. It’s all we can hope for at this point really. 

• Upvote 1