How Do the Jets Win a Game?/Dolphins

varjet

Now for the Dolphins

Jets Offense:  The Dolphins have drafted some great defensive players over the past few years; they did a much better job than the Jets did.  Honestly, I can't get a handle on the defensive staff.  Flores is a good defensive coach and did a great job with the Dolphins and their modified 3-4.  The hope is that this is a transition year for the defense that the Jets could capitalize on.

Next Steps:  This is a slightly different story.  I think to beat the Dolphins we will need to outscore them.  So there will be a premium on not only another RB (who could be a FA), but also another WR.  I think our OL/TEs work to compete with the Dolphins.  

Jets Defense:  This is where it can get ugly.  The Dolphins solidified their OL and now have Tyreek Hill.  I don't know whether the rest of the OL, and their RBs, work to run McDaniels' offense yet.  Gesicki will work the middle of the field, so we need the LBs/S to cover him.  Maybe Hamsah can do that.  But if Hill breaks free, he could beat the Jets on his own.  Thankfully Tua does not throw a good deep ball.  

Next Steps: I don't think Tua is the long-term QB for the Dolphins.  The Jets now have to face the Hill 2x year.  That to me maybe makes Sauce a higher pick, but the ability to get to Tua would also be helpful.  So, to beat the Dolphins in a perfect world, coming away with a better EDGE and CB would be optimal.  That makes a trade for a WR even more valuable (and the lack of one more questionable).  

2022 Projection:  Same-Maybe 1-1 with a chance at 2-0 in this transition year for the Dolphins.  If and when the Dolphins get a better QB to throw to Hill, this could regress.  

• Thumb Down 1

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

For which our guy got fired and banned and disgraced even though he is clearly behind the white line.

Mike Tomlin goes onto the field, interferes with a return guy going for a td and everyone laughs about it.  Still annoys me to this day.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3649397/tomlinhop.gif

Sal Alosi was a tremendous loss for the strength & conditioning of the NY Jets. It’s mainly been an injury $hit show for the Jets ever since he was fired back in 2010? ‘11?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

One thing about the fish, have no clue what this CS will be in comparison to Flores and his staff.  I liked Flores.  A lot

I also thought highly of Flores as their HC (though I didn't really see much of them other than when they played the Jets).  They should be more talented this year with Tyreek in their offense, which should make life easier for their new CS.  I think Flores guided them very well through their rebuilding phase.

The Dolphins will be running the same Shanahan style offense the Jets have started to deploy.  Those are going to be an interesting two games every season with all these former 49ers coaches in Saleh, LaFleur, Mike McDaniel, etc.

On offense the Fish will also be looking to draft and sign the same types of players the Jets want (as evidenced by the heavy competition for Tyreek Hill in this system).

In 2017, McDaniel was hired by the San Francisco 49ers as their run game coordinator under new head coach Kyle Shanahan, whom he worked alongside for a total of 9 seasons on the Texans, Redskins, Browns, and Falcons. During the 2019 season, McDaniel and the Niners appeared in Super Bowl LIV, where they lost to the Kansas City Chiefs 20-31. On January 18, 2021, McDaniel was promoted to offensive coordinator, following the departure of passing game coordinator Mike LaFleur, who left to become the offensive coordinator for the New York Jets.[3] The 49ers went 10-7 in 2021, and McDaniel's innovative usage of third-year wide receiver Deebo Samuel in the team's rushing attack led to Samuel being named a first-team All-Pro. McDaniel's tenure with the 49ers concluded with a loss to the eventual Super Bowl champion Los Angeles Rams 17-20 in the NFC Championship Game on January 30, 2022.

35 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Dolphins will be running the same Shanahan style offense the Jets have started to deploy.  Those are going to be an interesting two games every season with all these former 49ers coaches in Saleh, LaFleur, Mike McDaniel, etc.

On offense the Fish will also be looking to draft and sign the same types of players the Jets want (as evidenced by the heavy competition for Tyreek Hill in this system).

In 2017, McDaniel was hired by the San Francisco 49ers as their run game coordinator under new head coach Kyle Shanahan, whom he worked alongside for a total of 9 seasons on the Texans, Redskins, Browns, and Falcons. During the 2019 season, McDaniel and the Niners appeared in Super Bowl LIV, where they lost to the Kansas City Chiefs 20-31. On January 18, 2021, McDaniel was promoted to offensive coordinator, following the departure of passing game coordinator Mike LaFleur, who left to become the offensive coordinator for the New York Jets.[3] The 49ers went 10-7 in 2021, and McDaniel's innovative usage of third-year wide receiver Deebo Samuel in the team's rushing attack led to Samuel being named a first-team All-Pro. McDaniel's tenure with the 49ers concluded with a loss to the eventual Super Bowl champion Los Angeles Rams 17-20 in the NFC Championship Game on January 30, 2022.

So to put it short, teams are starting to copy the Jets

(I know that's not really true, but let's pretend it is)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

The Fish are another bad matchup on paper, even though we were close in both games last year.  Basically we have no one that can cover Waddle and Hill and Tuas strengths are the weak point of Saleh's D.

We need an absolutely dominant pass rush and we need to throw enough disguise in coverage to get Tua to hold the ball for a second longer (the RPO is usually a pretty quick read and pass.

I am really quite pleased Flores is gone, b/c he was a very good coach (leave it to the Dolphins to throw out the best coach they have had in years), and I think if we win a game against them its going to be an earlier game rather than a late season one.

ZW did nothing against them the only time he played them, so i'm skeptical about the offense as well.

Basically, I think we can gut out an effort win if we play them right, but I doubt we win 2.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

For which our guy got fired and banned and disgraced even though he is clearly behind the white line.

Mike Tomlin goes onto the field, interferes with a return guy going for a td and everyone laughs about it.  Still annoys me to this day.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3649397/tomlinhop.gif

It is a sign of the times. It is going on everywhere.