Jets Release K Matt Ammendola

Matt Ammendola

The New York Jets have announced that kicker Matt Ammendola has been released. He struggled with the team last year, was released, and eventually was brought back. With the signing of veteran kicker Greg Zuerlein, who will compete with Eddy Pineiro, the Jets have the kicking competition they want for training camp.

Ammendola first signed with the Green & White on July 30 and was the team’s kicker through the first 11 games in 2021 before he was released on Dec. 4. He made 68.4% of his field-goal attempts (13 of 19) with a long of 49 and 93.3% of his extra-point attempts (14 of 15).

Ammendola, who went undrafted out of Oklahoma State in 2020, signed with the team’s practice squad on Dec. 7 before signing a reserve/future contract on Jan. 10.

The post Jets Release K Matt Ammendola appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

As the season progressed one could actually see this dude unraveling as a person. Saleh showed faith and stuck with him as long as he could. 

But seriously, that picture above is the "before" picture. 10 weeks as the Jets pk beat this dude up mentally 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I am a little surprised they did it at this point in time, but it makes sense to me. He wasn't going to be the kicker for the team at any point and now that they have at least a backup K they don't need him anymore.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

A shame, I like his potential. His leg power is immense. Hope he gets another chance somewhere.

I don’t usually get caught up with kickers, but I loved this guy’s strength. I’d’ve given him the summer. I guess this is a favor to him letting him go now. I’d rather let him compete here than somewhere else. 

• Upvote 3

When your only job in the world is to kick the ball between the uprights you better be good at it and ready for your opportunity. Ammendola apparently wasn't ready. I imagine he will get plenty other opportunities in his career. Who knows he could be the next Justin Tucker.

42 minutes ago, Alworth said:

Zuerlein still has a cannon for a leg too. More likely to repair him than be able to develop Amendola. Pineiro  versus Zuerlien in a lengthy sustained competition should yield a solid result one way or the other.

Uhhh they both suck so yeah

• Thumb Down 1

Never fully understood the idea of developing a rookie kicker when it is a position that has become a "what have you done for me lately" where players go from great one year to mediocre to bad the next. I thought having 2 vets battle it out was always the way to go. Very few K-ers are etched in stone with their teams. While I thought Amendola's misses were real close with many actually hitting the uprights and maybe it was just some slight adjustments, I will also not loses sleep over this

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

How does JD sign Pinero who can barely make a 45 yard FG and cut Amendola who has the leg to make a 65 yarder with his eyes closed. He just needs more grooming. Dumb azz move by JD. 

Because Amendola bangs his 45 yard FGs into the uprights or misses the space between them.  Though the ball looks good said into the stands wide of target.

Seriously, Ammendola, for all the talk of 65 yarders with his eyes closed, has a long of 49, never made a 50+ yarder.  Zuerlein has made FG's from 58, 59, 60 & 61 yards out.  His long last year was 56.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Never fully understood the idea of developing a rookie kicker when it is a position that has become a "what have you done for me lately" where players go from great one year to mediocre to bad the next. I thought having 2 vets battle it out was always the way to go. Very few K-ers are etched in stone with their teams. While I though Amendola's misses were real close with many actually hitting the uprights and maybe it was just some slight adjustments, I will also not loses sleep over this

Kind of like relief pitchers in baseball.  Suck one year and are studs the next

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because Amendola bangs his 45 yard FGs into the uprights or misses the space between them.  Though the ball looks good said into the stands wide of target.

Seriously, Ammendola, for all the talk of 65 yarders with his eyes closed, has a long of 49, never made a 50+ yarder.  Zuerlein has made FG's from 58, 59, 60 & 61 yards out.  His long last year was 56.  

Bend It Like Beckham Football GIF by RCA Records UK

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

But what’s @joewilly12 gonna do. This will break his heart.

• Haha 1

he didn't get the job done and is released.  happens all the time.  and he'll have a chance somewhere else.  nick folk played out in dallas before latching on with the jets.  and then he started breaking down.  bye bye nick.  doug brien wasn't a bad place kicker when he was released and then joined the jets and did well.  oh i know about the missed kick in pittsburgh but it really wasn't a gimme kick.

13 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

How does JD sign Pinero who can barely make a 45 yard FG and cut Amendola who has the leg to make a 65 yarder with his eyes closed. He just needs more grooming. Dumb azz move by JD. 

JD and his Kicking choices are headscratcher to say the least. 3 years and still no kicker to speak of. 

Folks around here get the weirdest infatuations with some terrible players.  It brings into question any supposed amazing length strength when a guy can't hit a damn thing outside of 40 yards.  I have little doubt every kicker in the league could put more power behind it if blasting the ball as hard as they possibly could with little regard for accuracy.  No idea why anyone would ever think a kicker who went from bad in college to worse in the NFL would suddenly have the light turn on.

It's good that they brought in competition at the position, and even better that it came at the expense of the guy who only hit 68% of his kicks for the Jets, not the one who hit 100%.  They can even continue to look a the undrafted rookie pool of kickers when the time comes, but I already consider it progress they're not doubling down on another from the continually growing list of JD's failures at the position.