let's talk mike linebackers

Phillyjet

Fred Warner, Saleh's poster boy, is a good example of what to look for.

- taken 3rd round, 70 overall

- smaller frame, sufficiently tall (6"3"), fast (4.6 40), nimble, smart and able to absorb information fast

- At BYU he wasn't really a LB, he was a hybrid linebacker-safety-nickelback, smaller than a traditional NFL LB

- NFL teams didn't know exactly how to use him, but he was pretty much what Saleh was looking for with how he wanted his LBs to roam

- in year one and two he wasn't considered the best in the LB room, but he was considered the smartest and able to make calls (QB on the field)

- Saleh developed the 70th overall pick into the best middle LB in all of the NFL

This is all to say that this is somewhat of a pattern of how to find a Mike LB (an inside LB in a 4-3 defense). Don't have to get the freak in round 1. Find an athlete who can bulk up over time, cover the pass, and probably most importantly, find the guy who can be the QB of the defense (really smart, a film room junkie who absorbs a lot and is on the same page with the DC).

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

I love Lloyd and think he will be a gamechanger. I have been singing his praises for a while. He is one of the guys worth trading up for if he slips to the early twenties.

To me, Dean is not a Mike but profiles better as a Will. I dunno. I have issues with how he will transition to the NFL. Not as high on him as so many others.

I like Christian Harris a lot if we are looking for a speedy, instinctive Mike LB who can cover and stay on the field all 3 downs. 

A guy who hasn't been talked about in this thread and may be a little under the radar is D'Marco Jackson out of App State. Far from a finished product but he's got great speed, athleticism and tackling. Needs to get stronger and work on his play recognition. But this is a guy you draft in the later rounds who can contribute on special teams while he learns behind Mosley. 

A team captain, if I read his uni correctly. Another thing that JD likes.

Warner and Kyle Van Noy were able to see a play and react by getting to the right space almost instantly.  

In college it almost looked like they were running the play along with the offense lol.  

If I saw that trait in a faster college LB I’d draft it.  Chad Muma (Sp?) gets talked about that way.  I didn't have a chance to see him play.  People say it about Lloyd - maybe - but I didn't see it the couple games I saw him play (I notoriously undervalue Utah players though.) 

1 hour ago, Drums said:

Ive never seen a grown man throw a hissy fit like this on here and we have kevin posting threads daily. Quit derailing the thread. 

Not derailing....just asking what something means. Not a hissy fit either. That was a one way ticket to cringetopia though.....

14 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Ok so wtf is a mike linebacker? This thread pisses me off

13 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Thanks for the clarification but that is some of the dumbest shyat ive heard in a while. Holy f

13 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I have and never heard that. Well I was Oline. Its just dumb and infuriating. Yea, 100 year old terminology for sure. Catch ya later im eating a potater 23 skidoo lets buy some juju beans for the sam. Ike and mikes for sam and will.

im livid over this crap now

12 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Its dumb. Needs to stop immediately 

12 hours ago, HighPitch said:

“Wynnona crabtree creeping up! “ = weak side cornerback blitz

”franklin sebastian fitzgerald!” - free safety blitzing

so dumb i wish i stayed in bed that to learn of this crazy nonsense

9 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Not derailing....just asking what something means. Not a hissy fit either. That was a one way ticket to cringetopia though.....

If you have suffered a slip and fall, and struck your head, please seek immediate medical assistance,  you don't want to Saget yourself.