Speculation: Will Jets make a run at DK Metcalf?.

This with the link below is just to touch base with everyone as to what would be a good deal if this came to fruition. My take is I would rather not give up the 10th pick in the 1st round and would prefer to provide a similar package that we offered for Hill that mainly was 2nd round picks this year and then some. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/30/will-the-jets-make-a-run-at-dk-metcalf/

The new trade-happy NFL hinges on teams that are willing to give up significant draft capital for established talent, and teams that are willing to swap significant draft capital for that talent.

With the Seahawks using the dreaded “I” word regarding receiver DK Metcalf, they possibly are willing to accept picks (and shed the obligation to inevitably pay gigantic money) for the player’s contract. So who would be willing to say “eff them picks” in an effort to get Metcalf?

Enter the Jets. They tried to land receiver Tyreek Hill from the Chiefs, so they’re ready to make this kind of move. Jets G.M. Joe Douglas made it clear this week that his team generally is and will be ready to swoop in, if/when an opportunity arises.

It makes sense, then, for two teams that did business on the Jamal Adams trade to do something for Metcalf. The roles have been reversed, however. In 2020, the Seahawks gave up a pair of first-round picks for Adams. Now, Seattle would be the team tearing it down in the hopes of building it up, while the Jets are trying to escape the trio of AFC teams that can be called clear non-contenders in 2022.

The signals are there. Less than a month after coach Pete Carroll said the team has “no intention” to trade Russell Wilson, Carroll said as to Metcalf, “We intend for him to be with us.” Similarly, G.M. John Schneider said this week as to whether Metcalf will get an extension, “Yeah, that’s our intent.”

Intent is a present state of mind. Intent can change, quickly. And if the Jets want to offer the Seahawks for Metcalf whatever they were going to give the Chiefs for Hill, that could be enough to get the Seahawks to intend to accept New York’s best offer.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jago said:

does the chance that he could be a one year and walk (or tag?) lower the price?

If we're looking to swing a trade we have to be willing to negotiate a new contract as part of it - much like I think the situation was with Hill.

Seattle don't care either way, IMHO - they're not going to be worried about cap now they've traded Wilson so likely won't see it as needing to recoup something before they let they guy walk (like KC was with Hill). They'll want the best deal possible in terms of picks and can easily say they will walk away from a deal they don't like. They hold a pretty strong hand, if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I thought the same thing when I heard Pete and the GM say “our intentions”. That’s dead man walking in nfl speak, hopefully KC doesn’t steal him from us ?

The GM needs a "win" here after the Adams and RW fiasco (brought on by the JA surrender of picks). KC has the picks.... but not as attractive as the Jets. I still think JD passes if a #1 is involved.... unless it is in '23 and DK under contract prior to deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, slats said:

Can’t make the trade without having an extension agreed to. 

It is somewhat insinuated that providing a similar package like we did with Hill being done for DK also includes the contract like Hill got likely less $ but somewhere in that range one would think. 

45 minutes ago, jago said:

does the chance that he could be a one year and walk (or tag?) lower the price?

It probably has to be accompanied by a contract extension for either side to agree since they are not taking very low draft capital for a 1 year rental, and Jets would not give up or should not give up more than a 3rd round pick for the 1 year rental.

• Upvote 1

There's also this - there has been a steady amount of heavy smoke around the DK trade rumors. Not saying it will be to the Jets, but it's starting to look almost certain that he'll be dealt. Everything could have been completely shot down at this point

39 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I don’t think anyone in Seattle’s front office would touch another trade with JD with a 9-1/2’ pole.

Well business to business and at the time of the trade the Hawks felt it was a good deal and was a piece they needed for the whole team to be better. Didn't work out that way but who has a crystal ball. Now, if they truly need more draft capital to try a rebuild quicker and the Jets give them the best deal or the only deal they may be inclined to do it for the afore mentioned quicker rebuild and the fact that one more year and if they do not have or want to pay a high contract he can walk for the amount of only a comp pick they would get. Or, they have to tag him which is also a huge amount of money since it would be the average of the top 5 paid WRs, which now after these Kirk, Hill, etc. deals that keep going through means the average could be in the 25M+ range that they may not want to or can fit on the team where a top WR like him likely can be limited with no great QB on the team.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

IMO - if DK does get traded, it almost has to be to the Jets.

Give up both 2's for him like we were prepared to do with Hill or give up #10 and try to package the 2's to move back into the middle of the first. Either one works 

I heard a rumor about the Chiefs being a possible destination. They were likely willing to give Hill a huge contract, just not as huge as Hill wanted. So they probably have the cap flexibility to trade for and then sign DK. 

The problem is, DK seems like the kind of guy that would want Tyreek Hill money despite not being in the same tier. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Honestly, he’s not my first or even third choice, but so long as he can keep the crazy buried for a few years I’d welcome the addition.

I’d even offer #10 for him.

Adams for Metcalf and AVT is one heck of a trade. 

It would seem DK is the best chance of any WR going via trade as Deebo on 49ers and the Titans WR AJ Brown are both on Teams that are SB contenders and not looking to trade away top WRs for draft capital. 

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Honestly, he’s not my first or even third choice, but so long as he can keep the crazy buried for a few years I’d welcome the addition.

I’d even offer #10 for him.

Adams for Metcalf and AVT is one heck of a trade. 

Yes, and it would be the balance we needed from all the defenders we kept picking in the drafts weakening our O that now would be better stocked at OG and WR. Yes, our D is problematic right now, but the NFL is all about O and scoring points and t5hat in itself helps a D not to constantly be playing from behind. Heck everyone always in the last few years has been saying boy look at the D's in KC and GB. Really?. No, it is that they average scoring 35 points a game and any D even bad ones would put forth enough resistance to win most of those games. Even a great D in the Bills couldn't hold KC under a large point total in the playoffs since it is just to hard to do now in virtually every game since the NFL wants it to be that way to get all the viewership up to the SB. Then in the SB everyone always says look D wins Championships. Only when you are in the SB, but up to that point it doesn't. The NFL every year in the SB tells the refs to go light on the calls and let them play since this is now a game where the entire planet is watching and if the calls all go to the O everyone would know it's an unfair fraud, and that is why on SB day the D's can takeover and win a game.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

It would seem DK is the best chance of any WR going via trade as Deebo on 49ers and the Titans WR AJ Brown are both on Teams that are SB contenders and not looking to trade away top WRs for draft capital. 

The Packers & Chiefs say hi.

I actually feel like AJ Brown is the best chance given the Titans cap situation this year and next.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Political suicide for SEA

Yeah, but how great would it be seeing DK Metcalf go to the Jets in a trade for which one of the main pieces back is the 2nd round pick Carolina gave us for Sam Darnold?  As the kids say, "I can't even!!"

The final accounting of these two trades will be interesting, albeit a bit messy.  I think it would start to look like Jamal, Darnold, the #23 pick in 2021 (+ a miscellaneous pick or two) used for AVT, DK Metcalf, the #10 overall in 2022 (+ several miscellaneous picks).  That's not bad at all considering what both Jamal and Sam (option year) ended up being paid and how their trajectories as players have continued to deteriorate.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Packers & Chiefs say hi.

I actually feel like AJ Brown is the best chance given the Titans cap situation this year and next.

Well, in watching Tannehill I would try not to take more weapons away from him like we already did with Davis since he is already limited and basically looks very good much of the time like any average QB would that has a fast tank for a RB nobody can stop.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I wonder if SEA would be looking to move up from the #9 pick.  If they really like Willis, I could see it being part of the trade.  Something like:

#4 + #38 for #9 + DK.

From our perspective it's a huge win as we would not need to draft a WR high so we could focus on best Edge, CB, OL with our 3 remaining picks in the top-2 rounds.  We would probably miss out on Gardner, but at 9, we'll get a very good Edge followed by something like Ekownu, or maybe Lloyd or Linderbaum.  

I said this earlier, it's a pipe dream, but it would be my nearly perfect draft outcome.  Imagine getting something like Metcalf, Jermaine Johnson, Gardner, and Zion Johnson with the top 4 picks. 

Yes, you are spot on mainly for the fact that getting a deal that gets us pieces needed and winding up with 2 picks in the 8-10 range lines up better for this draft for the fact that many of the top players before 8-10 are really 8-10 talents other than Hutch, and on top of that paying 2 players in the 8-10 range save a lot of cap $ than paying 2 players at 4 and 10.    

• Upvote 1