Speculation: Will Jets make a run at DK Metcalf?.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The issue with Metcalfe is not that he is a beastly player it is potential character risk.

Sure, but the Jets were just willing to give up multiple picks and hand a $30 million a year contract to Hill who is 4 years older and has major well established character issues.

Douglas and Saleh know that they’re going to go as far as Zach Wilson goes. If he fails, then Saleh goes back to being a DC somewhere and Douglas is reduced to being Eric DeCosta’s director of player personnel.

Nearly all of the top wideouts in the league are divas who stomp and shout when things don’t go their way.

The Jets need to take the risk 

• Upvote 2

Moore will play all over the place but I think they mostly want him on the outside. 

I read an interesting article on Davis in the slot.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/02/22/ny-jets-move-corey-davis-slot/

(just a small piece from the full article below - but its worth reading the whole thing)

While Davis was not on top of his game, his individual issues were not the only reason for his struggles. Davis is better suited for another role, one that the Jets didn’t exploit much in 2021: the slot receiver position.

Sliding Corey Davis inside would immensely help his game (and the Jets’ passing offense)

From Davis’ perspective, sliding inside would give him more opportunities at:

• I. free releases, escaping from press-man looks on the outside
  • II. quick, YAC-intended throws, something Davis is great at
  • III. working the middle of the field, something No. 84 does well thanks to his size (think of Eric Decker in 2015) and his football IQ

Despite being a physically strong player, most of Corey Davis’ issues came when facing heavy man coverage teams. He had a hard time separating against the Patriots and Broncos’ DBs in Weeks 2 and 3, for example, because those teams came up and pressed Davis constantly.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Untouchable said:

Sure, but the Jets were just willing to give up multiple picks and hand a $30 million a year contract to Hill who is 4 years older and has major well established character issues.

Douglas and Saleh know that they’re going to go as far as Zach Wilson goes. If he fails, then Saleh goes back to being a DC somewhere and Douglas is reduced to being Eric DeCosta’s director of player personnel.

Nearly all of the top wideouts in the league are divas who stomp and shout when things don’t go their way.

Agree. 12 years of drafting and signing Boy Scouts for “culture” and 0 playoff appearances to show for it

• Upvote 3

On 3/30/2022 at 1:25 PM, Paradis said:

Political suicide for SEA

Not buying this for 2 reasons.

1.  We are saying Seattle wouldn’t trade with the Jets even if they had the best offer, including a top 10 pick?  That would be incredibly shortsighted.

2.  Isn’t it logical Seattle will want to recoup the pick they gave away (#10) for Adams, instead of shutting the door on the possibility just because they are butt hurt about the Adams trade?  

Seattle needs picks and they need them now.  That should be their only focus.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I agree but Hill is by FAR the better player imo and difference maker.  Go after him? Sure but I'm not offering as much as i would have for hill.

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I agree but Hill is by FAR the better player imo and difference maker.  Go after him? Sure but I'm not offering as much as i would have for hill.

Over the last 3 years...

Metcalf - 3,170 yards, 29 TDs, 60.3% catch rate

Hill - 3,375 yards, 31 TDs, 66.8% catch rate

Hill's numbers better.  Not sure if I'd say FAR better.  Metcalf was a top-10 guy over that span.

Davante blew all the numbers of both these guys away.

It really speaks to the question of whether the QB makes the WR or vice versa.

It's no coincidence they were catching passes from 3 of the 5 best QBs in the game over that span.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Over the last 3 years...

Metcalf - 3,170 yards, 29 TDs, 60.3% catch rate

Hill - 3,375 yards, 31 TDs, 66.8% catch rate

Hill's numbers better.  Not sure if I'd say FAR better.  Metcalf was a top-10 guy over that span.

Davante blew all the numbers of both these guys away.

It really speaks to the question of whether the QB makes the WR or vice versa.

It's no coincidence they were catching passes from 3 of the 5 best QBs in the game over that span.

Please put up Corey Davis' stats next to those two guys. 

I need the laugh. 

• Haha 3

Corey Davis would be great with a true WR1.  If JD falls flat in the trade market it won’t be for lack of effort, but Davis might step up and be a WR1.  He’s got it in him.  

Moore could take a big step forward.

But you don’t bank on that.  JD has shown he is looking for a WR1 like DK if he can. 

Metcalf is in his 4th and last year of his contract at $4mm this year.  He can be franchised.

So he is probably worth more than Hill, who is older and under a second, more expensive contract.  

Seattle is in a tough spot having to pay Metcalf without a real QB.  They could try trading for Mayfield and make a go of it.  

Otherwise, they should take a draft pick they could convert into another WR, or another player, and let someone with a QB pay Metcalf $20mm+ next year.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

Metcalf is in his 4th and last year of his contract at $4mm this year.  He can be franchised.

So he is probably worth more than Hill, who is older and under a second, more expensive contract.  

Seattle is in a tough spot having to pay Metcalf without a real QB.  They could try trading for Mayfield and make a go of it.  

Otherwise, they should take a draft pick they could convert into another WR, or another player, and let someone with a QB pay Metcalf $20mm+ next year.  

Also, Metcalf may very well be threatening to hold out this year without a better contract.  The franchise tag has got to be over $20mm at this point.

I suspect the Jets will be willing to pay him near $30, with likely $100mm+ guaranteed.  Imagine playing for $4mm when there's $100mm on the table.  At 24 years old he can afford to sit out a year - I would absolutely sit out with that type of risk.

Seattle is going to have to pony up $25mm to $30mm a year or trade him.  Question is is Seattle willing to do that when they're about to start a full on rebuild.

Lastly, Jets may very well be the only team left (based on the Hill sweepstakes) capable/willing to pay both the draft capital and salary.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Moore will play all over the place but I think they mostly want him on the outside. 

I read an interesting article on Davis in the slot.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/02/22/ny-jets-move-corey-davis-slot/

(just a small piece from the full article below - but its worth reading the whole thing)

While Davis was not on top of his game, his individual issues were not the only reason for his struggles. Davis is better suited for another role, one that the Jets didn’t exploit much in 2021: the slot receiver position.

Sliding Corey Davis inside would immensely help his game (and the Jets’ passing offense)

From Davis’ perspective, sliding inside would give him more opportunities at:

• I. free releases, escaping from press-man looks on the outside
  • II. quick, YAC-intended throws, something Davis is great at
  • III. working the middle of the field, something No. 84 does well thanks to his size (think of Eric Decker in 2015) and his football IQ

Despite being a physically strong player, most of Corey Davis’ issues came when facing heavy man coverage teams. He had a hard time separating against the Patriots and Broncos’ DBs in Weeks 2 and 3, for example, because those teams came up and pressed Davis constantly.

I don’t think Moore will be effective outside, but I’d love to be wrong.  

Moore didn't catch contested balls last season.  

2 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Yes, but he's so quick and fast - he's very effective downfield.  

He's going to get those chunk plays.   You're not taking advantage of his burst if he keep him in the slot.   He def. doesn't have ideal height and they'lll def. move him around (so he'll play in the slot) - but I think they want to use him outside more often.

We'll see though.  

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Davis might very well be playing in the slot if we got DK but he's definitely playing over Berrios.

DK, Moore and Davis - would be a solid group of WR's for sure.  

Really think Corey over Berrios in the slot?  Not sure I agree with that but either way it’s a solid starting O.

12 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Limited role as a rookie but I do believe he has the skill set to play inside or outside.  He’ll be a versatile WR.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

His blocking was a liability on the outside, my biggest gripe with him. Other than that, just get the guy on the field anywhere you can and we’re good

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

No, they're both rolls of the dice, and even if you hit it'll take a year for them to get there.  

It's time the Jets to start winning games.  We have no one to pay - we can't attract big time WR's to pay - we don't need to lead the league in cap space every year.  it's time.  If there's a true impact player like DK available - you do what it takes to get him.

I was pissed after they did not show interest in Cooper.  I thought the slow build was still in progress.

But the rest of the off-season has shown JD agrees with you.   WR is where to use the rookie QB cap money.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Corey Davis and a 2nd for Metcalf. Make it happen Tanny.

Lol

Really, though, if he gets injured in camp then he never cashes in. It’s not like he’s been on a 1st rounder’s contract all this time; to date he’s made (pre-tax) $3.5MM in 3 years. As he’s looking at some $100MM effectively guaranteed, just so long as he doesn’t get injured, he can’t risk that.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Corey Davis and a 2nd for Metcalf. Make it happen Tanny.

I was about to scold whoever bumped this thread for being responsible for giving you heart palpitations, until I scrolled through and saw you were the responsible party.

Carry on, lol.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Not when you're known for your absurdly high level of fitness, conditioning, and work ethic....

Ah yes, if only Mekhi Becton showed up for those 3 days in April he would be in the finest of shape.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

He realizes he has to strike now.  He knows he will not have the same numbers without Wilson and that will impact his future earning potential.  

I’m looking forward to the Tariq Hill lost a step threads after half a season in Miami.