PFF Bet: 2022-23 NY Jets record

Bronx

I think through free agency, the draft, growth of the 2021 rookies, and just being in the same system for two years makes the Jets much improved.

The schedule is very difficult.  

However it's not who you play, it's when you play them.  

A timely injury here and there and this team can reach 7-9 wins. 

I'd be pretty happy with being competitive in every game and seeing significant growth from Zach, but we have to win at least three division games. 

8 hours ago, kmnj said:

Joe was handed a 7 win team and the team won 6 combined the following two years-at some point u need to win games and lots of them and be competitive vs your own division.

If the Jets cant win5 games this year send joe packing-  6-8 games keep him around and let him run it back another year-progress is what is needed regression from bad is not acceptable

The 7 win team faced all rookie and third string quarterbacks the second half of the season after starting 1-7.

I'm not defending Douglas, but let's not pretend it was a talented roster that he gutted.

• Upvote 1

i say 5 wins

I just find it hard to see which games jets win? I hardly see them beating any of the afc east teams. Being realistic Jets made some decent offseason buys, but they fall well below the Bills & Dolphins (i think both teams improved including Bills) and like Jets the Patriots have a second year quarterback with far more pieces already in place, and plus I trust BB more as coach then Saleh. 

Not trying to be negative, improvements were made, but so did pretty much every team. All depends of Zac to see how far he has developed, and that will be the difference between 4 wins and 8 wins. Ps each year every  team have fluff pieces on there quarterbacks being amazing at camp, it means nothing until you see opposition pressure,  and never take pre season seriously.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Six wins or less will be a direct indictment of the Zach Wilson pick.

Thats what these type bets are all about ....What does PFF think of Zach Wilson ..... If Aaron Rodgers was our QB I guarantee the over under would be 11. So PFF thinks Zach wont get it done. Honestly I think we all hope he shoves that 5.5 right down their throats

• Upvote 2

Winnable, if Wilson isn’t terrible:

• Pats at least 1 game (ffs Miami swept them last year)
  • Seattle
    • (they’ll add a QB, but right now I think the penciled-in starter is Geno after he gets his DUI/arrest charges cleared)
  • Miami should win at least 1, and 2 should be in the cards; NE was the only NFL-caliber team they beat last year. Hill shmill; Tua is still the QB. 
  • Jacksonville
  • Detroit
  • Pittsburgh with Trubisky
  • Chicago
  • Minnesota
  • Cleveland if Watson isn’t eligible when we play (however doubtful). Also if we play him early enough it’s possible he’ll be a little rusty after a season off.
  • Baltimore (should be better than last year but Jackson’s gotten progressively worse as the defense stopped shutting down other teams, but he was also hurt a lot; anyway based on last year they’re not unbeatable)
  • not to mention any games we play where the QB or other key players are injured lol.

There are others - technically any game - that are winnable on paper but we know are major long shots (no matter how bad we are, we’ve been someone’s trap game every year; we beat a SB team, and a late communications blunder got in the way of upsetting Tampa even with all our injuries). Buffalo x2; Green Bay; Cleveland with Watson; Denver with the good Wilson QB;, and good bet the Bengals will take our game more seriously this year. Those will all take QB injuries to beat them, and if they revert to prior form you can add Baltimore to that list, too. 

Also it doesn't mean win all winnable; it just means each isn't an assured loss.

So yeah, I’d have to agree if we can’t cover a 5.5 O/U in a 17-game season, then QB will be on the Jets’ offseason draft/FA list yet again next year.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Grandy said:

Our normal range would be 6-8 wins. If we land a true #1 receiver and get some immediate starting talent from the draft I'd honestly say 7-10 wins.

At bare minimum we need to be at 6.

This is why the people clamoring for more and more offense are crazy.  Even if Wilson and our receivers take the next step, we have a chance to lose every single game if this defense is not improved.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

This is why the people clamoring for more and more offense are crazy.  Even if Wilson and our receivers take the next step, we have a chance to lose every single game if this defense is not improved.

Winning 6 games and the offense not taking the next step is WAYYYY worse than that scenario

21 hours ago, CSNY said:

Really optimistic that 8-9 wins this year is within reach, but was optimistic about last year as well and we all know what happened 

We will be fielding a much better team. Lawson is coming back. JFM is moving inside. JD will draft an edge at 4 or 10 or somewhere by round 2 to strengthen the pass rush. And JD bolstered the DL signing Martin. QW now has help on the DL. We have 2 good TE’s. Last year we had none. JD is getting Becton back and signed Tomlinson to strengthen the OL. Remember GVR. It’s a massive difference on the OL. The secondary is much improved with Whitehead and Joyner who didn’t even play last year. And the Reed signing adds a veteran to the cb position.   Plus all those rookies are now in their 2nd year. JD now needs to hit on his picks and grab a WR, edge, LB these are the 3 most important positions right now to focus on after the FA signings. JD already tried trading for Tyreeeek Hill. Another swing at a stud WR may be coming. And I can see JD drafting another tackle like the Kinnard from Kentucky in round 4 to develop under Fant. And Wilson has Flacco as his backup for the year. That’s got to be helpful. Wilson will be much better protected and I’m sure JD is drafting another RB to compliment MC. This team will take big steps this year. I say 7-8 wins. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Joyner, Whitehead, Lawson, Martin, Reed, Edge (draft pick)

That’s 6 new additions to the defense that didn’t play on this team last year. And properly a couple more coming through the draft. It will be vastly improved. 

On 3/31/2022 at 6:27 PM, Smashmouth said:

Thats what these type bets are all about ....What does PFF think of Zach Wilson ..... If Aaron Rodgers was our QB I guarantee the over under would be 11. So PFF thinks Zach wont get it done. Honestly I think we all hope he shoves that 5.5 right down their throats

This…

Put a top 16 QB on this team and the floor is 7 wins… Hoping Zach can get to middle of the pack or exceed it.  

8 hours ago, PackerNation said:

Wait, are you hoping the opposing teams QBs go down or that Zach does?

Where did you read hoping for injuries?

I just stated that if there are a few timely ones they could win more games this year with a brutally hard schedule.  

Imo, the Jets are improved across the board from last year, but might not be ready to beat good teams consistently.  

For the record, I support Zach Wilson until there's indisputable proof that he isn't what I hope his is.  Then I'll support the next one. 

On 3/31/2022 at 12:06 AM, Green Ghost said:

I called 5 hopefully 6 last week, and I was feeling optimistic. If I had to choose, I’d bet the under 5.5 here.

This is still an expansion level roster, with a second year QB coming off a bad rookie season. We had the worst defense in football last year. The WR group is worse than last year.

Adding a few rookies in the draft might help us in the long term, but it’s not going to result in many wins this season.

How can the Jets suck this long? This will be Joe Douglas' third draft and free agency and they're still looking at 5 to 6 wins in a season thats 17 games long now. If Zach is a bust it's gonna get really ugly for this franchise. 

8 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

How can the Jets suck this long? This will be Joe Douglas' third draft and free agency and they're still looking at 5 to 6 wins in a season thats 17 games long now. If Zach is a bust it's gonna get really ugly for this franchise. 

I think it has more to do with looking at the brutally hard schedule realistically.

The team is drastically improved from two years ago across the board.  

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I think it has more to do with looking at the brutally hard schedule realistically.

The team is drastically improved from two years ago across the board.  

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/trends/win_trends/

Click on that link and sort the rankings by the MOV, which is the margin of victory. 

Below is the Jets MOV  rankings since Joe Douglas has been able to shape the roster through free agency and the draft.

2020: -13.4, Ranked #32

2021: -11.4, Ranked #31

2022: 

So when you say the team is drastically improved you must be expecting the Jets to improve on their MOV significantly from being the worst to second worst in the National Football League.

Perhaps the Jets could be as good as Washington last season with a -5.8 MOV and a 7-10 record. 

Is 7 wins and not losing by an average of more than one score too much to expect?