I'm confused If the Jets select Sauce Gardener at #4. Can someone please explain this to me?

Alka

The Jets play nickel and dime more than base.  I don't know the numbers, but I think the average NFL team plays nickel 60% of the time and dime another 15%.  That means there are more than 2 CBs on the field.  I think Javelin Guidry played like 500 snaps.  If Gardener is that good, he makes sense.  They love to rotate guys and I think they liked the idea of Carter playing some safety.  I don't think these guys prioritize CB much, but hopefully they'd find a way to work with it.  I don't think they'd do it, but it's not a crazy idea.  It might be my choice, but I don't really like their style of D

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Did we ever regret drafting Revis (until the Roscoe Diner scene in Hard Knocks anyway)?  I don't know if Gardner will be that good (long shot), but he does seem to be highly regarded.  Anyone have an opinion on Gardner vs. Surtain from 2021?

Ultimately, he makes CB1 and CB2 much better than otherwise.  No, CBs can't shut down WRs as easily as in the past, but you still have to put some on the field and they have to make plays.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Did we ever regret drafting Revis (until the Roscoe Diner scene in Hard Knocks anyway)?  I don't know if Gardner will be that good (long shot), but he does seem to be highly regarded.  Anyone have an opinion on Gardner vs. Surtain from 2021?

Ultimately, he makes CB1 and CB2 much better than otherwise.  No, CBs can't shut down WRs as easily as in the past, but you still have to put some on the field and they have to make plays.

For every Revis there’s 5 dee milliners 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, derp said:

I don’t think NFL GM’s perceive need the same way fans do. There’s an argument to be made Gardner is the best player in the draft, he plays a premium position the Jets could upgrade that, and fits the scheme. If they think he’s the best player on the board, reasonable they might take him.

There are of course arguments the other way, but if they take him it’s probably something really simple like that. Douglas made a point to say they used free agency to give themselves a chance to be flexible in the draft.

And dont forget how good a complete, well rounded DB would do in a base 4-2-5 where a DB's instincts, smarts and ability to be physical would be *ideal*.   And there is also his excellent character, drive and leadership qualities.

I'd be very happy with Sauce at 4, thought I'd prefer Ickey 

• Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Best player in the draft. Bryce Hall is a serviceable player but you don't pass on a potential All-Pro for an average starter especially at a position of high value like CB. 

Yes you do when you do not have even remotely average starters or major question marks at other positions (DL, OL, WR)

There’s the very real possibility that the Top 3 could go Hutchinson, Thibodeaux and Walker in whichever order.

Would people really want to draft a dude like Jermaine Johnson over Gardner?

Gardner and a dude like Karlaftis at #10 is starting to become my preferred route in the 1st round. Especially since I can damn near guarantee that the Jets are going to make a trade for a wideout before the draft. You’re not willing to fork over $30 million a year and multiple draft picks for a guy like Hill if you’re totally satisfied with one of these wideouts at the top of the draft. Even if it’s a less splashy move for someone like Tyler Lockett or Brandin Cooks, something is going to happen.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think it can be a bad thing Sauce getting all this press.

Hopefully it means teams a bit lower, who are hoping he’ll fall, might offer us a haul. It depends how confident we are with our picks.

I like sauce, he’d be a solid fit, and would take him. But the big build can fit perfect for us, if people think he’ll go early.

2 minutes ago, Vader said:

Yes you do when you do not have even remotely average starters or major question marks at other positions (DL, OL, WR)

JFM/ Carl Lawson/ Bryce Huff/ Jonathan Martin are all effective edge players when healthy. 

OL has 5 starters in place

WR has 2 starters, 1 of which is a proven NFL number 2 receiver and the other is a high potential 2nd year guy. There's also an effective slot weapon that was improving until his injury last year. 

JFM, Carl Lawson, Elijah Moore, Corey Davis, Fant, Becton (if healthy) are all better at what they do than Bryce Hall or Brandin Echols. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

There’s the very real possibility that the Top 3 could go Hutchinson, Thibodeaux and Walker in whichever order.

Gardner and a dude like Karlaftis at #10 is starting to become my preferred route in the 1st round. Especially since I can damn near guarantee that the Jets are going to make a trade for a wideout before the draft. You’re not willing to fork over $30 million a year and multiple draft picks for a guy like Hill if you’re totally satisfied with one of these wideouts at the top of the draft. Even if it’s a less splashy move for someone like Tyler Lockett or Brandin Cooks, something is going to happen.

If edge goes 1 2 and 3 i think the jets take ekongwu and then Karlaftis or jj at 10.  

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If edge goes 1 2 and 3 i think the jets take ekongwu and then Karlaftis or jj at 10.  

The only way I can see the Jets taking Ekwonu is if they’re totally done with Becton.

And even then I wouldn’t be thrilled about it.

Douglas as a former OL and respected scout should be able to find quality starting OL outside of the Top 15 of the draft and high priced FA pickups.

If the Jets stick at #4, I think it’s virtually guaranteed that they’re either taking Gardner or one of the edgerushers.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

If you’re confused about taking arguably the best player in the draft then I would suggest reviewing what the purpose of the draft is all about.   

That's cute, but simplistic. 

We were told we got the best player in the draft with Leo Williams, Jamal Adams and Quinnen Williams.  Most of this board was stroking Big Mac's coffee cups after each of those selections.

I think the OP presents a valid point. Are the Jets a better team picking a CB and having Hall and Echols on the bench, or are they better off filling a more pressing position of need with a top rated player? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

JFM/ Carl Lawson/ Bryce Huff/ Jonathan Martin are all effective edge players when healthy. 

WR has 2 starters, 1 of which is a proven NFL number 2 receiver and the other is a high potential 2nd year guy. There's also an effective slot weapon that was improving until his injury last year. 

JFM, Carl Lawson, Elijah Moore, Corey Davis, Fant, Becton (if healthy) are all better at what they do than Bryce Hall or Brandin Echols. 

Lawson is coming off a serious Achilles tear.  It’s wishful thinking at best

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The only way I can see the Jets taking Ekwonu is if they’re totally done with Becton.

And even then I wouldn’t be thrilled about it.

Douglas as a former OL and respected scout should be able to find quality starting OL outside of the Top 15 of the draft and high priced FA pickups.

If the Jets stick at #4, I think it’s virtually guaranteed that they’re either taking Gardner or one of the edgerushers.

I think they may be done with becton, and i would not be surprised if douglas has a trade in place if they take an OT at 4.  Douglas’ job depends on wilson succeeding and if he has to go OL again early and trade a mistake it is better for the jets and his job security than relying on becton to get his act together.  

19 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If that’s the case draft Willis at 4 and see if we can get a package in a trade

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I think they may be done with becton, and i would not be surprised if douglas has a trade in place if they take an OT at 4.  Douglas’ job depends on wilson succeeding and if he has to go OL again early and trade a mistake it is better for the jets and his job security than relying on becton to get his act together.  

The pass protection was good last year. 

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

That's cute, but simplistic. 

We were told we got the best player in the draft with Leo Williams, Jamal Adams and Quinnen Williams.  Most of this board was stroking Big Mac's coffee cups after each of those selections.

I think the OP presents a valid point. Are the Jets a better team picking a CB and having Hall and Echols on the bench, or are they better off filling a more pressing position of need with a top rated player? 

How is CB not a need though?   Look, Edge and CB are the most valuable positions on defense and you need multiple players at each position.   Corner is hardley a stacked position group right now.   If Thibs or Hutchinson are available you can make the case for those guys as well, but to discount Gardner because there is this false sense of security with the CB position would be beyond foolish on JD’s part.   

Just now, sec101row23 said:

How is CB not a need though?   Look, Edge and CB are the most valuable positions on defense and you need multiple players at each position.   Corner is hardley a stacked position group right now.   If Thibs or Hutchinson are available you can make the case for those guys as well, but to discount Gardner because there is this false sense of security with the CB position would be beyond foolish on JD’s part.   

CB is a need but it is much more easily solved than Edge rusher.  Which is why we have had plenty of good to even great corners over the years but no actual edge rusher since Abe 16 years ago

The game has changed dudes, offensive schemes and the reffing and the league has changed.

The days of Revis island are much less than they once were and the value of CBs' is lower than it used to be.

Having a high end CB is still nice but not the advantage it once was.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Disagree 

• Upvote 1