Jump to content

Zach Wilson continues traveling around country to work with his WRs, defends Denzel Mims


Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Mims is still there b/c douglas didn’t get good trade offers before the deadline last season.  I think his grace period of being a 2nd rounder has worn off and douglas would be happy to take what he can get come training camp.

That could not be further from the truth based upon what JD actually said about Denzel when asked about him at The Combine.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slats said:

Meh, he’s letting you know that, despite what this board and Twitter have to say about it, Mims is still a part of the team. 
 
Used to be that WRs would take two or three years to develop. This young man has all the physical gifts to be great, it’s up to him. It’s a shame that so many Jet fans have decided to root against him (and Becton) rather than root for the players on their so-called favorite team. I’m rooting for him. 

2-3rd rounders are always considered developmental prospects. Mims is the poster child for that. He will excel this year to be a solid contributor or he will disappear.
 

He was the 13th WR picked in that draft. If anything, Jets fans should be mad about that. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, slats said:

Meh, he’s letting you know that, despite what this board and Twitter have to say about it, Mims is still a part of the team. 
 
Used to be that WRs would take two or three years to develop. This young man has all the physical gifts to be great, it’s up to him. It’s a shame that so many Jet fans have decided to root against him (and Becton) rather than root for the players on their so-called favorite team. I’m rooting for him. 

This is so on point.  Too many fans would rather be right in their assessment that Mims sucks and JD sucks for drafting him than seeing the upside to the team if Mims can figure things out and produce...

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Mim’s dropped that Mike White pass in the end zone and I felt betrayed. Haha, but I’m ready when he is. 
 

Becton? One of his biggest critics but as of now I’m taking the wait and see with him. I would happily eat my crow Twice fired Korean style, ask for seconds and thirds… as well. 
 

The constant bashing of the kid has warn me out honestly, as a Dad with boys that age, in my heart I hope he gets it if he really wants it and is willing to work for it. 

I am with you on Becton. I’ve been vocal about wanting an insurance policy on him and/or Fant by getting an OT in this draft, but I want nothing other than success for this guy! Would be fantastic if he gets into camp, dominates, wins the LT spot and stays healthy.

But as I have said before a Draft is not simply about the upcoming season. You take guys with a multiyear plan in mind. JD drafted Ashtyn Davis at safety when he had both Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye under contract for a couple more years. It was a little insurance. JD was playing the long game and thinking about future years. In my opinion he needs to do the same thing at OT now. Last year he had both Becton and Fant heading into camp healthy and still felt the need to sign a starting caliber backup in Morgan Moses. Becton is now a bigger question mark than he was last year at this time, Fant has only one year left on his contract, Moses is gone. With The Jets still having Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Braxton Berrios on the team there is no reason to think OT is in any better depth chart shape than WR.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, slats said:

Meh, he’s letting you know that, despite what this board and Twitter have to say about it, Mims is still a part of the team. 
 
Used to be that WRs would take two or three years to develop. This young man has all the physical gifts to be great, it’s up to him. It’s a shame that so many Jet fans have decided to root against him (and Becton) rather than root for the players on their so-called favorite team. I’m rooting for him. 

do you really think mims or becton care what the fans think?  maybe if we're rich eisen or boomer.  i don't think any player or coach on the jets cares a wit about what i think.  and if the guy is that thin skinned that he lets fans get to him then he's in the wrong biz.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

That's fine if he doesn't catch anything from them. We need no more distractions like that.

As long as his receivers are catching something.

Thank you, I'll show myself out.

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mims making it would be shocking but great.  
 

He’s not a victim of irrational fan hate.  

He sucked last season.   Didn't get open or learn the plays.  Fans would love to see that change.  He’s big, fast, and high points the ball - tough not to hope he does big things.   It would be insane to bank on him right now though.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

This is so on point.  Too many fans would rather be right in their assessment that Mims sucks and JD sucks for drafting him than seeing the upside to the team if Mims can figure things out and produce...

FWIW, Connor Hughes has been pretty adamant that Mims is a dead man walking as a Jets employee and they’re 100% trading for or drafting his replacement ASAP

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

do you really think mims or becton care what the fans think?  maybe if we're rich eisen or boomer.  i don't think any player or coach on the jets cares a wit about what i think.  and if the guy is that thin skinned that he lets fans get to him then he's in the wrong biz.

Becton obviously has reacted by re-handling himself as Big Bust. These are young people. They’re on social media. I can agree with you that maybe it’s thin skinned, but I probably wouldn’t’ve been so wise when I was 22 or so, either. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Wilson may end up being like the rest of the Jets QB busts but it won’t be from lack of desire for the game or effort.

i still remember when he was drafted. he had like a little 5 secont interview and I remember specifically likeing the kids first impression. I dont remember having that with any other drafted QBs.  I dont think anyone can disagree with you rpoint. Kid wants to ball.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Becton obviously has reacted by re-handling himself as Big Bust. These are young people. They’re on social media. I can agree with you that maybe it’s thin skinned, but I probably wouldn’t’ve been so wise when I was 22 or so, either. 

yeah they care what people say. Everyone does to a degree. Even those who claim them dont. No one wants to be called trash or a bust. Big Bust def cares , if he didnt he would not have made him self the big bust. seems pretty obvious. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I am with you on Becton. I’ve been vocal about wanting an insurance policy on him and/or Fant by getting an OT in this draft, but I want nothing other than success for this guy! Would be fantastic if he gets into camp, dominates, wins the LT spot and stays healthy.

But as I have said before a Draft is not simply about the upcoming season. You take guys with a multiyear plan in mind. JD drafted Ashtyn Davis at safety when he had both Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye under contract for a couple more years. It was a little insurance. JD was playing the long game and thinking about future years. In my opinion he needs to do the same thing at OT now. Last year he had both Becton and Fant heading into camp healthy and still felt the need to sign a starting caliber backup in Morgan Moses. Becton is now a bigger question mark than he was last year at this time, Fant has only one year left on his contract, Moses is gone. With The Jets still having Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Braxton Berrios on the team there is no reason to think OT is in any better depth chart shape than WR.

A Davis did not play well, but he was also thrust in to the spot early, he might turnaround into a better player. I have not given up hope with him yet. But all good points and i thinkyou are right

Fant btw was considered a very puzzling move at the time, overpaying a back up, but turned out very nicely for us. Hope he has another season or two in him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

A Davis did not play well, but he was also thrust in to the spot early, he might turnaround into a better player. I have not given up hope with him yet. But all good points and i thinkyou are right

Fant btw was considered a very puzzling move at the time, overpaying a back up, but turned out very nicely for us. Hope he has another season or two in him.

I was hoping we'd hear that Fant had been extended this offseason.  Add two years to the guy's deal.  He's earned it and he can play both LT and RT.  That would really go a long way to giving the Jets some visibility into the 2023 season and let me chillax a little with the growing uneasiness I have about our OT situation. lol

I feel like I'm a bit on an island here on JN but I'd say there's a solid 45% chance the Jets draft Ekwonu at #4, get him on a rookie contract which lets them decide whether they can let Fant walk after 2022 assuming Becton holds up and plays something like 15 to 17 games.

The fact that the Jets only have one somewhat unreliable (although incredibly talented) OT under contract for 2023 in Becton tells me they are wide open to OT early in this Draft.  The fact that they haven't extended Fant also adds to the idea they're leaving that option open to draft a starting OT.  It could also be the case that one of the first moves JD makes after the draft IF the Jets don't draft an OT in the first few rounds is to extend George Fant.  In other words, the Jets seem to have some optionality here and are maybe trying to be flexible.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Wilson may end up being like the rest of the Jets QB busts but it won’t be from lack of desire for the game or effort.

Same as Sanchez. He was willing to learn off the field. Unfortunately, he couldn’t learn on the field. Hope Wilson turns out like we hope. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Mims making it would be shocking but great.  
 

He’s not a victim of irrational fan hate.  

He sucked last season.   Didn't get open or learn the plays.  Fans would love to see that change.  He’s big, fast, and high points the ball - tough not to hope he does big things.   It would be insane to bank on him right now though.  

This. I hope both he and Becton turn into what we were expecting when they were drafted. But so far Mims hasn't shown anything. And don't tell me about injuries; being out on IR gave him plenty of time to learn the playbook. To me his lack of understanding the playbook indicates either he is too lazy to study or he doesn't have the mental capacity to learn it.

I certainly hope he proves me wrong!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, slats said:

Meh, he’s letting you know that, despite what this board and Twitter have to say about it, Mims is still a part of the team. 
 
Used to be that WRs would take two or three years to develop. This young man has all the physical gifts to be great, it’s up to him. It’s a shame that so many Jet fans have decided to root against him (and Becton) rather than root for the players on their so-called favorite team. I’m rooting for him. 

At this rate, it's looking more likely that Russia is going to succeed in conquering Ukraine than Mims becoming a quality NFL receiver. 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All Zach Wilson needs to prove is that he's taken a major step (in the positive direction) in reading competent NFL defenses and winning games.  Other than staying in shape, this off season "working out" stuff is meaningless.  Zach and his receivers face no one on the opposite side of the ball to pressure him and/or throw off routes/passes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...