Berrios On Wilson's Efforts Leading Into 2022 Season

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jets-wr-sends-clear-message-about-quarterback-zach-wilson/ar-AAVKRoy?li=BBnb7Kz

"Berrios said that Wilson is putting in the work through his offseason training to improve all over the place. He believes that Wilson is doing exactly what he needs to correct the issues he had.

“He’s willing to do whatever it takes,” Berrios said, via ESPN.com. “It’s easy to say that, but it’s another thing when you take the time out of your offseason training schedule to actually travel to different places. He’s doing everything to get everyone on the same page and making a real change next year.”"

• Upvote 2

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Not sure what traveling around and working with his wrs really does.  It sounds too much like Sanchez, trying to cultivate kudos and respect without actually winning anything.  

Creates a bond ??? Chemistry ??? Establishes his position as a leader ??? Football is the ultimate team sport. Even with highly trained professional players, developing esprit de corps can go a long way especially at the most critical times

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Not sure what traveling around and working with his wrs really does.  It sounds too much like Sanchez, trying to cultivate kudos and respect without actually winning anything.  

So he can’t practice until they win? 

They didn’t say anything about the first workouts and Saleh “broke” it and there is interest so they made a few posts.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

So you're suggesting practice isn't good because you haven't won a lot of games yet?

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I mean, the idea is to put in the work in the offseason so he does win something. Kind of hard to "win anything" in April.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, slats said:

He has $30M. He can probably afford to fly domestic. 

Coach Saleh spoke about Zach doing the playbook work, and coming in this season ready to not think and just play. Looks like he’s trying to make sure his receivers are on the same page, doing the same thing. OTAs are what? A little over a month away? 

So much riding on the QB.  Not just for the Jets, but for every NFL team circa 2022.  With the moves JD has made in FA and the two first round picks coming up (Ickey, Sauce, London, Hamilton, Thibx... all possible) if Wilson evolves into a decent staring QB, the Jets can and will win as many as 8 to 10 games this year.  Playoffs even possible.   If Wilson flops, it's back to square 1 at the 2023 draft for the QB position. 

Wilson's performance is *everything*.  

Very encourage to see that he's all in.  With drive and effort, all skills can be improved and a weakness can become a strength.  

I hope he calls Becton once in a while... 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, the idea is to put in the work in the offseason so he does win something. Kind of hard to "win anything" in April.

He’s doing what he should.  It’s just that with the jets, i can’t help but think these tweets are more to control the narrative than about the actual progress.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He’s doing what he should.  It’s just that with the jets, i can’t help but think these tweets are more to control the narrative than about the actual progress.

Of course it's about telling a positive story.  But it doesn't mean it's not real and beneficial.

A lot of this is branding for him but also like don't we want players putting in work and for the QB to establish himself as a leader among the team? Look at all the people complaining about fewer workouts last offseason. Shouldn't we be happy that they are running drills and plays on their own time? Seems like this should be pretty low down the list of things to criticize. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Maybe this is how you try and win anything, is working with your teammates.

Crazy idea, I know.

• Upvote 1

There's no way this isn't a good thing. It's actually commonplace now in the NFL for QBs to do it.

Let me say this that when I played in bands I used to do this. It works it builds rapport and camaraderie.

Also you learn what motivates people. Who's got a sick grandma, who doesn't drink milk, who's ready to fist fight after a few beers...

It's good to hang out with people out of the workplace like at the company Christmas party. You learn who people really are~

• Upvote 1

Great.

300 yards and 3 or more TD's week 1, with 0 INT's, and I'll be impressed that all his work may have paid dividends.

160 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT type game, then this becomes the offseason hot air is so often has been in the past.

Bring on Week 1! :)

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

cant believe all the negativity

Neither can I. I just don’t understand why so many fans want him to fail. Whether u agreed with the pick or not I thought we all want the jets to win games and to do that we need Zach to get better yet some people just want him to fail cause they wouldn’t of picked him. He is our qb at the moment so let’s get behind in instead of all the negativity about him 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, Bosleyjet74 said:

Neither can I. I just don’t understand why so many fans want him to fail. Whether u agreed with the pick or not I thought we all want the jets to win games and to do that we need Zach to get better yet some people just want him to fail cause they wouldn’t of picked him. He is our qb at the moment so let’s get behind in instead of all the negativity about him 

They want him to fail so they can go on a freakin message board and say "Everyone look at me. I was right". It's pretty pathetic

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

He may turn out to be Sanchez, but even Sanchez did the work, and so is ZW... He may turn out to be very good because he's putting in the work.

"Coach Saleh spoke about Zach doing the playbook work, and coming in this season ready to not think and just play." To me this is the key... Kid had his clock cleaned in the first 5 games and you could see that he didn't really have a grasp of the playbook. If he takes the offseason to make sure he doesn't have to think, and just react. then I think we're going to see a much better QB.

• Upvote 2