Football Outsiders on Garrett Wilson

maury77

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/draft-film-room/2022/garrett-wilson-prospect-extremes

Garrett Wilson: A Prospect of Extremes

February 23, 10:22 am ET
Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson
Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson
Photo: USA Today Sports Images

NFL Draft - Ohio State has become one of the top wide receiver factories in college football. Year-in, year-out, the Buckeyes produce an NFL wide receiver or two, a few of whom have gone in the first round. The Buckeyes are set to do so again this year with Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson. Both are expected top-20 picks worthy of a profile, but for this installment of the Draft Film Room, we will focus on Wilson, the flashier and more volatile prospect between the two. 

Wilson is an exercise in beauty being in the eye of the beholder. On the one hand, Wilson is an explosive athlete with real-deal speed, good hands in space, and an eccentric route-running flavor that could be a nuisance for NFL cornerbacks. On the other hand, Wilson is more of a highlight package than someone who wins down after down, and his route-running flashiness is more of a fireworks show than a well-crafted approach. In total, Wilson's skill set is still generally received as a legit first-round talent because the potential payoff would be exceptional. 

Wilson's best trait is his stop-and-start athleticism. He can bring his body to a halt at the drop of a hat and explode in another direction just as quickly. In many ways, that trait alone informs most of Wilson's best routes and plays. Screens, short crossing routes, stop routes, and vertical routes with the option to hit the back shoulder make up a majority of Wilson's best clips on film, in large part because they all hinge on his ability to come to a dead stop or explode out of one, or both. 

The route combination helps Wilson get open for free, but what happens after that is all him. Wilson makes the catch in stride and waits until the last moment before the defensive back catches up to him to plant his foot in the ground and cut back the other way. The defensive back is left whiffing at air, giving Wilson the runway he needed to score one of his four touchdowns against Purdue. 

Wilson made a killing on deep stop / comeback routes like this. Sometimes he can look like he is counting out the steps before he settles to break, but when he commits to selling the outside vertical and snaps it off, he is tough to keep up with. In both clips, Wilson (top) does a great job getting vertical and widening out to the sideline to sell the go ball. As soon as each corner opens their hips and begins to hoof it down the field, Wilson is able to stop in a heartbeat and work back to the quarterback. 

Of course, part of the success of those stop / comeback routes has to do with Wilson's threat as a field stretcher. If he was no threat to actually take the top off, defenses would not respect him accordingly and it would be easier to anticipate when he wants to break these routes off. While Wilson is not quite in the elite tier of downfield speed, he has more than enough juice to warrant respect as someone who can be a home-run threat. 

Wilson's (bottom) release looks pretty fancy here, but that is not what makes this play go. The cornerback remains fairly patient and square on top of Wilson, waiting for the Buckeyes receiver to jam his foot in the ground and go. Wilson's suddenness when he finally committed to the outside shoulder is what made it difficult for the cornerback to strike and get hands on him. That sliver of unimpeded time to accelerate up the field was all Wilson needed to create a valley between himself and the cornerback, giving the quarterback a clear target near the pylon. 

For as lethal as Wilson can be on shallow yards-after-catch plays and vertical branches of the route tree, he is sort of limited to those opportunities. At this stage in his development, Wilson plays out of control through many of his other routes. He either takes too many steps to settle into a break or takes one long, herky-jerky step into the break that often disrupts his timing and hurts his ability to get out of his breaks cleanly. Additionally, Wilson does not handle press coverage particularly well right now, both in his approach and in his physicality. All of that makes for a receiver whose projected usage in the NFL looks incomplete as things stand right now. 

Let's start from the ground up and look at Wilson's ability to work against press. When teams ask their corners to jam and get hands on the receiver right away, it is game over for Wilson. He often dances and stutters around too long at the line of scrimmage when anticipating a jam, and he does not have the strength to power his way through contact. 

Wilson (top) knows he is getting jammed here, but does not have a good answer. His first step off the line does not gain any depth at the cornerback to attack them and force their hand. Instead, Wilson effectively sets himself up to get punched with his short step, does not actually avoid the punch, and finally resorts to a frantic stop-start move while the cornerback already has hands on him. 

Wilson (bottom) does a little bit better to run at the cornerback and force the issue in this clip, but it does not matter. Wilson does nothing to turn his shoulders and make himself a smaller target to hit, granting the cornerback free access to thump him right in the chest. Given his slight frame, Wilson just does not have the strength to absorb such a clean hit and stay on his path.

It is not just immediate press that throws a wrench in Wilson's game, either. Cornerbacks can contest Wilson on his breaks and get his head spinning. Sometimes Wilson's stop-start suddenness can beat this preemptively, but when cornerbacks sit and pounce on his routes correctly, Wilson does not free himself consistently. 

After his initial stutter off the line, Wilson (top) is clearly jogging through the next couple steps when gaining depth, which lets the cornerback know straight away that Wilson is likely not going vertical. In turn, the cornerback lets Wilson get to him and strikes, completely knocking the Buckeye off balance. Wilson loses his footing, loses a yard of depth on the route, and stumbles out of the break in a daze trying to find the quarterback. Granted, the throw misses by a mile anyway, but Wilson too easily allowed his route to be disrupted here.

Wilson's other route-running issue, in addition to some of the sequencing issues in the last two clips, is that he gets clunky at the top of his route. Wilson loves to take an exaggerated final step leading into the break, but he struggles to consistently snap the route off cleanly after that. He regularly ends up drifting upwards a bit and does not get the separation out of the break he wants. 

Wilson (top) does not snap off this route well. He tries to convert the hop and elongated last step into a clean inside break, but he does not execute. Rather than being able to take a flat angle out of the break, Wilson sort of rounds it out and drifts into the cornerback. The cornerback now gets to put hands on Wilson when may not have been able to otherwise and slow him down from running across the goal line. 

To say Wilson is a bad route-runner is probably a stretch. He has clear routes that he succeeds on, and even the ones where he is less consistent, there are still flashes of crisp timing and breaks. Still, Wilson's inconsistency getting in and out of clean breaks is something he needs to address as a pro if he wants to take the next step. Wilson clearly has the athleticism to be a devilish route-runner, too. It is just a matter of getting that out of him. 

The last major pillar of Wilson's game to touch on is his hands. Overall, Wilson has good hands. He locates the ball well (when he doesn't have to track over his shoulder, that is), has surprising range to find the ball outside his frame, and rarely, if ever, suffers from random drops where the ball hits him square in the hands. Wilson is also comfortable going to the ground and digging one out of the dirt. All of those traits give Wilson a high-floor in the hands department as well as some clear strengths a smart quarterback can play to. 

Here is Wilson (top) on a simple shallow route from right to left. The quarterback puts the ball a half step behind where it needs to be, but with Wilson, that does not matter. Wilson comfortably takes to the air, spins, plucks the ball out of the air and continues on as a ball carrier, all in one smooth action. That is not the toughest catch in the world, but premium picks need to catch those consistently and Wilson does. 

This time around, Wilson (bottom) has to lay his body out. Wilson runs a simple curl route, but because the underneath defender is lurking on the inside half of this throwing window, the quarterback has to leave the ball a bit outside. In doing so, the quarterback loses some MPHs and the ball ends up short. Wilson, thankfully, tracks the ball well and makes a leaping effort to scoop the ball just before it hits the dirt. 

All that being said, Wilson does falter in some areas as a catcher, primarily when being heavily contested. That is not to say Wilson never makes impressive catches in traffic, but it is not something he does consistently enough to be considered a reliable strength of his. 

Wilson (bottom) does not know how to fight for space when contested right now. Some of that is his light frame, some of that is that he rarely has a good plan of attack. In this case, Wilson has to be able to body the cornerback and fight for inside positioning. The throw should not be that far inside to begin with, but sometimes a quarterback is going to misfire and need the receiver to pick up the pieces. This play was Wilson's chance to do that and he could not. 

To tie this all together, Wilson is a good prospect. Wilson's ability to work the vertical tree and be a fairly threatening ball-carrier should be enough to make him a decent player. However, Wilson's route tree has a long way to go, as does his work getting off press and fighting through contact later in his routes. There should be some degree of concern that there are too many holes in Wilson's game right now to take on a heavy workload right out of the gate.

Wilson should be a super role player early on in his career while he works towards rounding out his game. Limiting Wilson to screens, free-release YAC opportunities, vertical routes, and a handful of gadget plays early on make sense as an avenue to get him involved without stressing him with a full route tree and the expectation of beating physical corners on the outside. Down the line, Wilson has the potential to bloom into something closer to a Stefon Diggs-type, but that will take time — time he will no doubt be afforded thanks to his expected draft status and athletic profile.

• Upvote 2

I still like Olave much more than Wilson. I'll take the polished route-runner over the cat that is more of a project for coaches. 

If you want the most NFL ready WR, that will make impact right away, you go with Olave.

Both have a slight frame, but getting with a NFL strength and conditioning coach will change that quickly.

• Upvote 1

In the media and analyst realm I think Wilson is overrated and Olave underrated. I like London more than both. I actually think we should go WR at 4 because we also have 10 and we can still get EDGE at 10. After Hutchinson they are largely rated about the same

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, PackerNation said:

I still like Olave much more than Wilson. I'll take the polished route-runner over the cat that is more of a project for coaches. 

If you want the most NFL ready WR, that will make impact right away, you go with Olave.

Both have a slight frame, but getting with a NFL strength and conditioning coach will change that quickly.

I could see Olave producing earlier than Wilson in the pros due to the former's route running ability. The way Olave toys with CBs is fun to watch. I think Wilson has the athletic abillity to eventually be a good route runner, he's just not there yet. The one area where Wilson is superior to Olave is YAC. 

Some really great WRs taken in the late 20's to 60 range just over the past few years.... (Jets picking 35, 38 here in 2022).

Elijah Moore at 34

Tee Higgins at 33

Deebo Samuel at 36

Calvin Ridley at 26

AJ Brown at 51

DK Metcalf at 64

Diontae Johnson at 66

After Wilson, Drake London, Jameson Williams, Treylon Burks there's still a solid group of 3 or 4 other guys from which the Jets could choose at 35/38 or could move up for if they really want one.  How about Olave, Jahan Dotson, Christian Watson, etc.?  Whoever the Jets assess is the best prospect they could probably move into the late first by packaging 35 and 69 together.

I just don't want to see the Jets force a WR into the 10 spot simply because they want a WR badly.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

We're trying to talk ourselves into a WR at #10 no matter what these days.

Same thing with edge though. After Hutch, the next 6 guys are likely rated the same. This damn draft is flat in the first round. You are either drafting a boom/bust prospect or a high floor / low ceiling guy. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

We're trying to talk ourselves into a WR at #10 no matter what these days.

It's our single biggest need.

An edge or a DT isn't winning more games for this team.

A #1 WR is.

Right now our WR room is in the bottom of the league, in net talent and in reliability.  We're blowing another top pick QB in part because of that.

Braxton Berrios is a nice KR/Trick WR, he's not a #1 no matter many shorts Wilson wears with his name on it.  Davis was never a #1, he was always a #2 in run-first Tenn.  Moore has great potential...if he stays healthy.  And Mims is a bust on his last chance, if he makes it through camp.

That's just not good enough.  Getting the best WR prospect in the draft, whomever you may think that is, would be a difference maker in the way no defensive player is going to be for our franchise-worst Defense last year.

Scoring alot more is our only real route to future success.  We're never going to out-Defense the modern NFL's powerhouse Offenses.

• Upvote 2

On 4/2/2022 at 4:19 PM, johnnysd said:

In the media and analyst realm I think Wilson is overrated and Olave underrated. I like London more than both. 

I suspect JD thinks like you 

Drake London is going to be a NYJ

the only question is will it be at 4 or 10 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

A #1 WR is.

Right now our WR room is in the bottom of the league, in net talent and in reliability.  We're blowing another top pick QB in part because of that.

Braxton Berrios is a nice KR/Trick WR, he's not a #1 no matter many shorts Wilson wears with his name on it.  Davis was never a #1, he was always a #2 in run-first Tenn.  Moore has great potential...if he stays healthy.  And Mims is a bust on his last chance, if he makes it through camp.

That's just not good enough.  Getting the best WR prospect in the draft, whomever you may think that is, would be a difference maker in the way no defensive player is going to be for our franchise-worst Defense last year.

Scoring alot more is our only real route to future success.  We're never going to out-Defense the modern NFL's powerhouse Offenses.

Understand your position, I just don't completely agree that this is the Draft where we can solve that problem unless the Jets make a trade for a veteran.

We already have a few #2/3 type WRs on this team, but not a #1 as you said.  Trading for a Tyreek Hill or a DK Metcalf solves that problem.  Taking Garrett Wilson or Drake London at #10 doesn't.  I agree that the goal is to support Wilson in his second year but I don't think a rookie WR from this class does that in 2022 as much as some people seem to think.  A Jamar Chase, a CeeDee Lamb, etc. would do that.  There just aren't really any guys like that in this class in my opinion (I know others completely disagree).  In fact, Elijah Moore would probably be a Top 15 pick in this Draft.

This is just an uneven group of WR prospects this year with nobody close to being a sure thing.  If a WR2 was the missing piece on the Jets then have at it... this would be a good time to add that player.  We already have some WR2's though.  We need the WR1 and I just don't think there's even a guy clearly better than Elijah Moore in this class.

Would rather see the Jets take the best guys available on the board at #4 and #10 (neither of which would include a WR) and then use some combination of the #35, #38, #69, etc. to trade up if they like a guy such as Olave, Burks, etc. who could be available outside the Top 10.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

I just hope they get whomever is their top WR. I don't want to get like the 8th guy. I still think this season is primarily about Zach

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Understand your position, I just don't completely agree that this is the Draft where we can solve that problem unless the Jets make a trade for a veteran.

We already have a few #2/3 type WRs on this team, but not a #1 as you said.  Trading for a Tyreek Hill or a DK Metcalf solves that problem.  Taking Garrett Wilson or Drake London at #10 doesn't.  I agree that the goal is to support Wilson in his second year but I don't think a rookie WR from this class does that in 2022 as much as some people seem to think.  A Jamar Chase, a CeeDee Lamb, etc. would do that.  There just aren't really any guys like that in this class in my opinion (I know others completely disagree).  In fact, Elijah Moore would probably be a Top 15 pick in this Draft.

This is just an uneven group of WR prospects this year with nobody close to being a sure thing.  If a WR2 was the missing piece on the Jets then have at it... this would be a good time to add that player.  We already have some WR2's though.  We need the WR1 and I just don't think there's even a guy clearly better than Elijah Moore in this class.

Would rather see the Jets take the best guys available on the board at #4 and #10 (neither of which would include a WR) and then use some combination of the #35, #38, #69, etc. to trade up if they like a guy such as Olave, Burks, etc. who could be available outside the Top 10.

I respect your view, and you could be right, let me say that right up front.

I simply don't believe in waiting for the "perfect" draft to fill desperate needs. 

To me, that's about trying to "win the draft value chart", not trying to win football games. 

I don't care how good last year's WR's were, or two years from now's WR could be. 

I care about helping Zach Wilson not bust, in helping the Jets O score points, and helping our team change the moribund status of the past decade+.

I don't believe that happens by obsessing over "value for slot" or "Best Available Player" and picking a Safety and a DT.  That's drafting like you're playing fantasy football.

We need Offense, badly.  We need to support Wilson badly.  Not draft BAP and aw shucks, we'll just get a new QB in a year or two (if it's a good QB class only, of course).

Could the best WR's bein the second round or third round or later?  Yes, it's possible.  So I could be dead wrong.

I simply don't trust JD to know the best WR is really the this specific third rounder, and to wait till the third round to pick him.

I am sick of the Jets trying to win again and again with Defense.  It's boring.  It's not fun.  And it's never worked.  And it never will IMO.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

Drake london pro day tomorrow

He's instant help for Zach 

He didn't measure or run at the combine. I will be interested to see those numbers later today. Lack of speed and not being able to separate from corners is one of the knocks on this guy. A great 40 time could quiet a little of that.

On 4/2/2022 at 8:44 AM, PackerNation said:

I read something that said the league is almost evenly divided between Olave and Wilson and they don't see much difference in terms of how high either will go. 

8 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I read something that said the league is almost evenly divided between Olave and Wilson and they don't see much difference in terms of how high either will go. 

Will be interesting to see where and to who they go. I just feel that Olave is the most NFL ready of the two. I think Olave can come in and have impact right away in the league with the right team. Wilson is more of a project. Who will have the better overall career? We will have to wait and see on that. 

Will also be interesting to see how teams WR rooms look after the draft. Teams like KC and Green Bay may wait until after the draft and see what their WR rooms look like at that point before pulling the trigger on bringing in another vet.

11 hours ago, bitonti said:

Drake london pro day tomorrow

He's instant help for Zach 

As much as I’m Luke warm on London, he does make sense from that perspective. Given Wilson’s inaccuracy issues, it helps to have a WR with a huge catch radius, I just don’t expect London to give the Jets much of a downfield  or big play presence.

3 hours ago, PackerNation said:

He didn't measure or run at the combine. I will be interested to see those numbers later today. Lack of speed and not being able to separate from corners is one of the knocks on this guy. A great 40 time could quiet a little of that.

Just FYI drake london moved his workout to the 15th because of a hamstring. People believe that he's going to run a 40

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Just FYI drake london moved his workout to the 15th because of a hamstring. People believe that he's going to run a 40

Gotta appreciate that. Rushing back from injury to get in shape to take a test where he won’t excel feels like bad advice from an agent.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Damn, London is injury prone too now.?

With all the Olave love, now it is looking like the Packers would need to trade up to get him. I don't know that I want them to trade up into the Top 10 to nab him. The Packers have picks 22 and 28 in the first. Both those gone if a move up is made.

These damn Jets making it seem like they make take Olave at 10 is really causing problems. The visit could also be just a smoke screen. 

The Saints are now in the mix for Olave as well. The Packers would for sure have to move above 16 to assure getting him. 

Too much drama. I'm off him.?

45 minutes ago, PackerNation said:

Damn, London is injury prone too now.?

With all the Olave love, now it is looking like the Packers would need to trade up to get him. I don't know that I want them to trade up into the Top 10 to nab him. The Packers have picks 22 and 28 in the first. Both those gone if a move up is made.

These damn Jets making it seem like they make take Olave at 10 is really causing problems. The visit could also be just a smoke screen. 

The Saints are now in the mix for Olave as well. The Packers would for sure have to move above 16 to assure getting him. 

Too much drama. I'm off him.?

Olave is awesome but the Jets already have several smallish speedsters

What they don't have is a catch radius primary receiver. The team lacks an X, a guy who can bail Zach out and that's why JD is locked in on London, regardless of what the fans want 

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Olave is awesome but the Jets already have several smallish speedsters

What they don't have is a catch radius primary receiver. The team lacks an X, a guy who can bail Zach out and that's why JD is locked in on London, regardless of what the fans want 

Where did you hear that "JD is locked in on London"? Obviously he isn't saying it, he isn't a moron. So, you just are hopeful? Which is fine. 

Some Jets fans are also hopeful that Douglas goes defense with those 2 high picks. Some are hopeful he trades one of them for Metcalf or McLaurin. 

I don't think any GM is "locked in" on anything at this point. Too much fluidity to a draft. Things can and will change quickly.

48 minutes ago, PackerNation said:

Where did you hear that "JD is locked in on London"? Obviously he isn't saying it, he isn't a moron. So, you just are hopeful? Which is fine. 

Some Jets fans are also hopeful that Douglas goes defense with those 2 high picks. Some are hopeful he trades one of them for Metcalf or McLaurin. 

I don't think any GM is "locked in" on anything at this point. Too much fluidity to a draft. Things can and will change quickly.

There were rumors at the senior bowl, Kiper and DJ both projected it in January. It feels like how they were locked in on Zach wilson months in advance. The wr1 trade ship has sailed. The jets are leaky. It's not like a huge secret 

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There were rumors at the senior bowl, Kiper and DJ both projected it in January. It feels like how they were locked in on Zach wilson months in advance. The wr1 trade ship has sailed. The jets are leaky. It's not like a huge secret 

Well, if we are going by draft analyst thoughts and rumors...then there are some who feel the Jets are going defense and not taking a WR at all in the first round. These cats play guessing games just like fans do. Yes, they hear things, but most of that info is not coming directly from teams. NFL personnel departments are at this point pretty good at only leaking smoke screen info. And pretty much everything is considered smoke near the draft, so they don't even waste time trying to send smoke screens out anymore.

Only time will how it all shakes out, but I wouldn't buy too much into Drake London for sure being drafted by the Jets. For your sake, I hope he is. 

The not being able to separate from CBs would worry me some. I know you say the Jets already have "speedsters", but no one that can take the top off a defense like let's say Christian Watson, if you want a guy a little taller like London. You need elite speed to take the top off a defense. 

Am I suggesting going CB and Edge with the top 2 picks and hoping Watson falls to early in the 2nd round? Yes.?

But you like Drake, so I hope you get your wish.

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

A #1 WR is.

I can't really argue. So pick your favorite at #4 and go from there. Or make it a moot point in the next 3 weeks.

2 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I can't really argue. So pick your favorite at #4 and go from there. Or make it a moot point in the next 3 weeks.

Yup.

I'd say it like this:

1. Trade for McLaurin now or in the next few weeks (pre-Draft).

2. If not 1., then Draft a WR at #4 or #10 in the 2022 Draft.

3. If not 1. or 2., then Draft 2x WR between Rounds 2 and 4 in the 2022 Draft.

That's my preference tree, in a nutshell.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PackerNation said:

Well, if we are going by draft analyst thoughts and rumors...then there are some who feel the Jets are going defense and not taking a WR at all in the first round. 

But you like Drake, so I hope you get your wish.

Sauce at 4 is an example of smoke. The jets loving drake london is the actual 

By the way, I can see the appeal of the player and I'll eventually talk myself into it but this drake/NYJ is a prediction not necessarily a preference. 

On 4/4/2022 at 4:58 PM, bitonti said:

I feel like London is just a better opposite side to Moore than either of the Ohio State guys. I like the size and ball skills and can live without the burst in this case.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

Sauce at 4 is an example of smoke. The jets loving drake london is the actual 

By the way, I can see the appeal of the player and I'll eventually talk myself into it but this drake/NYJ is a prediction not necessarily a preference. 

London could be Kelvin Benjamin or Hakeem Butler or whatever other failed big receiver that couldn't get enough separation muscling people off the line in the pros.

At the same time if you want Wilson to throw more touchdowns somebody has to catch them.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

London could be Kelvin Benjamin or Hakeem Butler or whatever other failed big receiver that couldn't get enough separation muscling people off the line in the pros.

At the same time if you want Wilson to throw more touchdowns somebody has to catch them.

Tell it to JD. I'm just trying to predict the pick 

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Tell it to JD. I'm just trying to predict the pick 

Well, you don't get off that easy.?

What WR would you personally want the Jets to draft? I get that you want to say that Drake is who Douglas is going to draft, but I think you also want the Jets to draft London. 

If not him, who? 

I personally am almost certain the Jets won't draft London. I don't think London goes in the Top 10.