Godzilla

hmhertz

3 hours ago, genot said:

Love the scene where 1Godzilla is trying to teach his kid how to breathe fire. The kid is blowing these fire rings. Godzilla gets pissed, steps on the kids tail, and here comes the fire. Lol.

I believe thats Son of Godzilla?

That movie came out after All Monsters Attack.

Which was the movie with the Bullies with the little kid with the shorts on, mama going to get he gets kidnapped and kicks everybody's ass at the end!?

Some people think that's the worst one ever I actually really liked it when I was a kid.

4 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Which was the movie with the Bullies with the little kid with the shorts on, mama going to get he gets kidnapped and kicks everybody's ass at the end!?

Some people think that's the worst one ever I actually really liked it when I was a kid.

I think that was Destroy all Monsters. 

1 hour ago, jago said:

the original US vers of Godzilla with Raymond Burr is a bit underrated as an old time horror film.

Yes there's a difference between the Japanese and American versions.

Some of the movies have different titles and different editing. In fact there's also two different endings for King Kong versus Godzilla the original.

Totally a cool part of having kids is you get to revisit all this stuff!

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, genot said:

I think that was Destroy all Monsters. 

Yeah I may have them mixed up. I was fortunate enough to live very close to one of the last video stores that ever existed here on Long Island and the guy specialized in crazy ass B movies. He had all the different versions of everything.

For example in one of the mechagodzilla movies the ending was very violent and bloody and that was only available in the Japanese version.

I'm definitely a fan but I can't remember why Godzilla vs. Megalodon wasn't released in the U.S.

But I do know that the original scenes with Raymond Burr were shot and added in after the original movie was released in Japan. It's hokey stuff but it's fun. Glad we could reminisce!!!

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I loved All Monsters Attack as a kid, too, but, objectively, it's definitely the worst, lol.

I guess you have to be a fan of the goofy campy corny stuff? The Godzilla movies much like the old Batman TV show or the original Star Trek we're very imaginative but they had no rules. Even pro wrestling!?

Things didn't have to make sense, very much like how kids play when they're pretending.

Hey there's a monster that's been sleeping in the mountain for 200 years and these two little fairies can sing and wake him up because the aliens are coming in their UFOs with the robots from outer space!?

Classic pizza and beer night at my house! It's like they didn't even have a script they just made it up as they went along lol. Step on those plastic tanks and then bring in the UFOs LMFAO!!!! Like I said it's almost how kids pretend when they're playing, you can just add stuff in LOL.

My family is full of creative people. Musicians, artists, athletes, actors, kung fu you name it. Always wondering, we actually make stuff like this on Saturday nights for fun.

Great thread!!!!

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

^^my favorite 

I was so inspired by this thread I watched the terror of mechagodzilla last night and Godzilla vs mechagodzilla just now. 

sone rando observations 

king Cesars roar is easier to hear 150 times in 90 minutes than titanosaurus lol

my attention span is much more suited to movies that run 90 to 120 minutes. 

even comical practical effects are still better than CGI. (I’m looking at you Peter Jackson)

hollywood will never make a good Godzilla movie because they don’t understand all we want is the final 30 minute fight.  In daylight.  Fill the rest  of the movie with aliens and simple plots. Nobody cares about the feelings of someone that might get stepped on. Just show the monster 

I like Godzilla as the defender more than the villain 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Larz said:

I was so inspired by this thread I watched the terror of mechagodzilla last night and Godzilla vs mechagodzilla just now. 

sone rando observations 

king Cesars roar is easier to hear 150 times in 90 minutes than titanosaurus lol

my attention span is much more suited to movies that run 90 to 120 minutes. 

even comical practical effects are still better than CGI. (I’m looking at you Peter Jackson)

hollywood will never make a good Godzilla movie because they don’t understand all we want is the final 30 minute fight.  In daylight.  Fill the rest  of the movie with aliens and simple plots. Nobody cares about the feelings of someone that might get stepped on. Just show the monster 

I like Godzilla as the defender more than the villain

I really like Terror of Mechagodzilla, too. While I do like the musical score in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, any Godzilla film that uses Ifukube's score gets bonus points for me. And that Godzilla intro is one of the best in the films, and I was so happy to see Dougherty pay homage to that in KotM. I was also always partial to Titanosaurus, myself, including his roar, but that's probably because I just really like the movie, lol.

I nearly always prefer practical effects over CGI, too. IMO, the crappiest practical effects are 100x better than the crappiest CGI effects, because it's something tangible. For CGI to be preferable it has to be really good, and to be fair, some are, but it's rare because it's so expensive. I thought the CGI in the Monsterverse films were fantastic, and that allowed them to do stuff that you couldn't easily do with practical effects. I actually think LOTR was pretty good for its time, and I still really like the CGI in Jackson's King Kong, but the Hobbit CGI totally sucks balls.

I, personally, don't mind human character development in Godzilla films. It's not like Toho never tried it. Hell, the original movie (and definitive Godzilla film) was all about the human suffering and despair caused by Godzilla, i.e. atomic weapons. And I seem to recall reading somewhere that the reason Toho wanted an American Godzilla film back in '98 was because they thought human drama was something Hollywood could do better than they could. Never mind that that movie sucked, though lol.

That's why I actually preferred the first two Monsterverse Godzilla films over GvK, because the latter just threw all human plot lines out the window and made absolutely no sense (obviously, I know I'm in the minority on this, though, seeing as how that film actually did really well, so go figure). I could go on and on about it, but I won't, lol. In the end I'm just happy the film did well enough to get the Monsterverse alive.

I definitely prefer Godzilla the hero, as that version is what I was raised on, but I have to admit that he fits perfectly into that anti-hero/lesser of two evil roles that he settled into in the Heisei series. He's only ever been truly villainous and evil in one film (which is a good one). Even the original he was stated to be a victim of atomic testing and was just lashing out at humanity for his pain and anger. There's a lot more nuance to that version of Godzilla than the kid-friendly one that sees bad monster, and beats bad monster, as much as I enjoy that.

Sorry for the long response, but yeah...

I'm kinda into Godzilla.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

I really like Terror of Mechagodzilla, too. While I do like the musical score in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, any Godzilla film that uses Ifukube's score gets bonus points for me. And that Godzilla intro is one of the best in the films, and I was so happy to see Dougherty pay homage to that in KotM. I was also always partial to Titanosaurus, myself, including his roar, but that's probably because I just really like the movie, lol.

I nearly always prefer practical effects over CGI, too. IMO, the crappiest practical effects are 100x better than the crappiest CGI effects, because it's something tangible. For CGI to be preferable it has to be really good, and to be fair, some are, but it's rare because it's so expensive. I thought the CGI in the Monsterverse films were fantastic, and that allowed them to do stuff that you couldn't easily do with practical effects. I actually think LOTR was pretty good for its time, and I still really like the CGI in Jackson's King Kong, but the Hobbit CGI totally sucks balls.

I, personally, don't mind human character development in Godzilla films. It's not like Toho never tried it. Hell, the original movie (and definitive Godzilla film) was all about the human suffering and despair caused by Godzilla, i.e. atomic weapons. And I seem to recall reading somewhere that the reason Toho wanted an American Godzilla film back in '98 was because they thought human drama was something Hollywood could do better than they could. Never mind that that movie sucked, though lol.

That's why I actually preferred the first two Monsterverse Godzilla films over GvK, because the latter just threw all human plot lines out the window and made absolutely no sense (obviously, I know I'm in the minority on this, though, seeing as how that film actually did really well, so go figure). I could go on and on about it, but I won't, lol. In the end I'm just happy the film did well enough to get the Monsterverse alive.

I definitely prefer Godzilla the hero, as that version is what I was raised on, but I have to admit that he fits perfectly into that anti-hero/lesser of two evil roles that he settled into in the Heisei series. He's only ever been truly villainous and evil in one film (which is a good one). Even the original he was stated to be a victim of atomic testing and was just lashing out at humanity for his pain and anger. There's a lot more nuance to that version of Godzilla than the kid-friendly one that sees bad monster, and beats bad monster, as much as I enjoy that.

Sorry for the long response, but yeah...

I'm kinda into Godzilla.

Right there with you bro I'm into stuff that has rich history. Kind of like listening to Bob Dylan, who's probably got at least 40 something albums out by now!?

Star Wars!? OMG. I had a book that explained the entire chronology spanning thousands of years and of course I lent it out to somebody whom I forget and never got it back!

Sumbitches!!! Lol

But just to continue adding to the conversation, some short research on Wikipedia, Godzilla vs. the Astro Monster came out in the USA five years later and was actually called Godzilla Monster Zero.

Also Ebirah Horror of the Deep was later released straight to U.S. television as Godzilla vs.The Sea Monster.

It's been about a decade since I watched all of them through, and I've also moved so they're all buried in boxes.

But something struck me as funny I was reading something about the different suit designs and what movie was it where Godzilla had googly eyes and looked like Scooby-Doo!? ?

So anyway they're used to really be a lot of really good old B movies that were very inventive and imaginative and the special effects weren't so good. (Gene Roddenberry) Now there are a lot of bad movies with great special effects~

Do you remember Sasquatch the legend of Bigfoot!? Lol one of my faves!! That's a discussion for another time. But no worries Bro..

I talk a lot too~

Robin hand me the Bat Shark Repellent Spray!!!

• Sympathy 1

On 4/2/2022 at 2:41 PM, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Shocking lack of Anguirus in this thread.

7bb518b23f0ce8a41be89f791199ac04.gif

He's awesome in Godzilla final Wars!

There's also a scene where Godzilla and King Caesar and a few other monsters are playing soccer with giant boulders!? ?

It's so ridiculous you can't shut it off!

16 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Right there with you bro I'm into stuff that has rich history. Kind of like listening to Bob Dylan, who's probably got at least 40 something albums out by now!?

Star Wars!? OMG. I had a book that explained the entire chronology spanning thousands of years and of course I lent it out to somebody whom I forget and never got it back!

Sumbitches!!! Lol

But just to continue adding to the conversation, some short research on Wikipedia, Godzilla vs. the Astro Monster came out in the USA five years later and was actually called Godzilla Monster Zero.

Also Ebirah Horror of the Deep was later released straight to U.S. television as Godzilla vs.The Sea Monster.

It's been about a decade since I watched all of them through, and I've also moved so they're all buried in boxes.

But something struck me as funny I was reading something about the different suit designs and what movie was it where Godzilla had googly eyes and looked like Scooby-Doo!? ?

So anyway they're used to really be a lot of really good old B movies that were very inventive and imaginative and the special effects weren't so good. (Gene Roddenberry) Now there are a lot of bad movies with great special effects~

Do you remember Sasquatch the legend of Bigfoot!? Lol one of my faves!! That's a discussion for another time. But no worries Bro..

I talk a lot too~

Robin hand me the Bat Shark Repellent Spray!!!

Yeah, there's not many things I geek out over, but Godzilla is definitely the big one for me. They re-edited and renamed a lot of those old Godzilla movies for release in the US. Mostly editing for time, but some edited for content. I believe in the US version of Godzilla: King of the Monsters with Raymond Burr they removed some scenes that showed the devastation. I don't know if it was purely done for time, or if they wanted it more palatable to US audiences, seeing as it was basically a movie about the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And in The Return of Godzilla in '84, there is a scene in the Japanese version at an international conference on what to do about Godzilla, and the US and Russian diplomats are arguing and banging the table wanting to use nuclear weapons on him, with the Japanese being understandably hesitant to (this was still in the middle of the Cold War and was obvious commentary). They removed that scene for the US release, lol, but I have the Japanese version and I love that scene.

Before the last two Monsterverse films, I binged each and every Godzilla film (minus the '98 Roland Emmerich film, of course, as well as the Netflix anime films) so they're still pretty fresh. It's cool to see the evolution of the character over the years.

I believe the suit you're referring to is the one used in Son of Godzilla. I can't remember what the suit is called, as they all had their own names:

Son of Godzilla streaming: where to watch online?

I've seen a lot of bad sci fi/horror films that won me over with their special effects. There was one modern one that I watched several years ago that the name of it escapes me, but it was about giant spiders, or ants or something. The writing was pretty bad, and the acting was even worse, but the film won me over with their use of practical effects and stop motion. It was pretty clever. Most low-budget films nowadays (cough) *SYFY* (cough) just use sh*tty CGI and call it a day, but the effort these guys put into this crappy little movie was endearing and showed true passion, and I respect them for taking that route.

I haven't seen Sasquatch the legend of Bigfoot, but I've watched a lot of Bigfoot films. Every year in October I do a horror movie marathon and there's always at least one or two or three Bigfoot movies, there's so many that I don't even remember them all. But, if it has Lance Henriksen in it, it's an instant watch for me! My favorite is called "Abominable". Great little low budget film with awesome special effects. Just a dude in a really big, nasty looking suit. There's a particular scene that is sooooooo good. It reminds me of a lot of my favorite horror film with amazing special effects "Dog Soldiers".

I'll wrap up this post with one more series that I geek out over, and that's the Tremors series. The first is obviously a cult classic, but I love the first 3 sequels, too. After that, they changed production studios and they basically became SYFY level productions with all CGI and no charm. Yuck. But the practical effects in Tremors 1, 2, 3, 4, and the limited TV series was awesome. I watched a behind-the-scenes special feature on the DVD showing how they made it look like the monster shot out of the ground, and I was in awe at the amount of work and dedication it took. That's art, man.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Yeah, there's not many things I geek out over, but Godzilla is definitely the big one for me. They re-edited and renamed a lot of those old Godzilla movies for release in the US. Mostly editing for time, but some edited for content. I believe in the US version of Godzilla: King of the Monsters with Raymond Burr they removed some scenes that showed the devastation. I don't know if it was purely done for time, or if they wanted it more palatable to US audiences, seeing as it was basically a movie about the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And in The Return of Godzilla in '84, there is a scene in the Japanese version at an international conference on what to do about Godzilla, and the US and Russian diplomats are arguing and banging the table wanting to use nuclear weapons on him, with the Japanese being understandably hesitant to (this was still in the middle of the Cold War and was obvious commentary). They removed that scene for the US release, lol, but I have the Japanese version and I love that scene.

Before the last two Monsterverse films, I binged each and every Godzilla film (minus the '98 Roland Emmerich film, of course, as well as the Netflix anime films) so they're still pretty fresh. It's cool to see the evolution of the character over the years.

I believe the suit you're referring to is the one used in Son of Godzilla. I can't remember what the suit is called, as they all had their own names:

Son of Godzilla streaming: where to watch online?

I've seen a lot of bad sci fi/horror films that won me over with their special effects. There was one modern one that I watched several years ago that the name of it escapes me, but it was about giant spiders, or ants or something. The writing was pretty bad, and the acting was even worse, but the film won me over with their use of practical effects and stop motion. It was pretty clever. Most low-budget films nowadays (cough) *SYFY* (cough) just use sh*tty CGI and call it a day, but the effort these guys put into this crappy little movie was endearing and showed true passion, and I respect them for taking that route.

I haven't seen Sasquatch the legend of Bigfoot, but I've watched a lot of Bigfoot films. Every year in October I do a horror movie marathon and there's always at least one or two or three Bigfoot movies, there's so many that I don't even remember them all. But, if it has Lance Henriksen in it, it's an instant watch for me! My favorite is called "Abominable". Great little low budget film with awesome special effects. Just a dude in a really big, nasty looking suit. There's a particular scene that is sooooooo good. It reminds me of a lot of my favorite horror film with amazing special effects "Dog Soldiers".

I'll wrap up this post with one more series that I geek out over, and that's the Tremors series. The first is obviously a cult classic, but I love the first 3 sequels, too. After that, they changed production studios and they basically became SYFY level productions with all CGI and no charm. Yuck. But the practical effects in Tremors 1, 2, 3, 4, and the limited TV series was awesome. I watched a behind-the-scenes special feature on the DVD showing how they made it look like the monster shot out of the ground, and I was in awe at the amount of work and dedication it took. That's art, man.

This is off thread stuff.what the hell. Remember this.

the-devils-rain-1.jpeg

On 4/1/2022 at 3:43 PM, hmhertz said:

I like Chenal but would rather take a guy like Christian Harris who is faster and much better in coverage. He is also a better pure Mike LB to take over for Mosley next year. I think Chenal plays on the outside as a string side LB in the NFL- in this defense. Both guys will probably go in Rd. 2. I prefer Harris.

image.jpeg.a4fba1eada266e21df1ddc66e0e45c9e.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I like Chenal but would rather take a guy like Christian Harris who is faster and much better in coverage. He is also a better pure Mike LB to take over for Mosley next year. I think Chenal plays on the outside as a string side LB in the NFL- in this defense. Both guys will probably go in Rd. 2. I prefer Harris.

image.jpeg.a4fba1eada266e21df1ddc66e0e45c9e.jpeg

Wonder what Godzillas ras score would be????

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1