Jameson Williams

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

What a coincidence that this glowing favorable medical update comes out just weeks before the draft.   Good work from Jameson’s agents.  

Agreed,  but that's just fan momentum.  This isn't news to the GM's.  If it's true they knew about it, if it's false they know about it.

Ultimately, if anything, it's more about giving cover for the GM that takes him than anything else.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

It does seem like that all these wr deal with ACL at some point. Guy is supposed to be a stud. I just hate to take the gamble cause when they don't come back fro AcL well they suck. Rather be safe than sorry on the first

That’s because you secretly want to keep Braxton Berrios on the team. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah.

He was always the clear #1 WR coming out before the injury.   People just got panicked about the injury but now news is coming out that he'll be 100% this summer - so there's obvious renewed interest.

Joe's past suggests he goes for the home run early, rather than the safe pick...

Wilson, Becton - even trading up for AVT wasn't the safe move.  

If they don't end up trading for a WR, Williams will be the pick. 

Damn, you go Fido!

Personally it’s not likely in my opinion. Too much risk, Douglas can’t afford another oft injured player watching the last few games of the year while Zach is trying to throw the ball to guys Jet Fans have to to look up on their phones to figure out who it is. The fact that he has done it in the past and it hasn’t worked is the exact reason he won’t  do it. 

• Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He’s benefitted by missing all the post-season nonsense so the Internet Draft Community doesn’t get sad about an underwhelming three cone or some sh*t, and they get to project relative superman status onto him with minimal risk. If he busts, it’ll be because “welp, he couldn’t overcome the knee.” 

Douglas can’t draft this guy because Douglas can’t miss on either of his firsts. 

He won't be a miss.  By far the best WR in this years' class

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He’s drafted a tackle, a guard, and a milquetoast QB from Utah. Those are not home run picks, imo. Connor Hughes has been saying for a few weeks now—and amped it up this week on one of the draft podcasts—that Douglas is starting to feel some pressure from inside the building about the direction of the team, and that since he can’t convince a receiver to sign an extension with the Jets, he 100% has to get immediate production out of whomever he drafts this year. Hughes pointed out that for Douglas—after loading up on Boy Scouts for three years— to go full-bore after a scumbag like Tyreek Hill and a head case like Metcalf reveals that Douglas is feeling the pressure because Woody is back. Of course Jameson Williams’ camp is going to say he’ll be back in a few weeks, but the fact is that the history on speed guys recovering from an ACL is fairly bleak, and recovery takes a lot longer than six months.  The Giants are still waiting on Saquon Barkley to recover from his and that was almost two years ago. Douglas simply can’t take that chance.

True.  If they go wr early i think it’s wilson, the safest wr option.  

• Upvote 1

take Edge at 4.  Trade down from 10.  to 17.  Take Lloyd at 17.  Trade up from 35 to  23 and get J Williams.  Still have a 2nd and a pair of 3rds (from the trade down.

How would we feel with KT, Lloyd, Williams in rd 1?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes. We don’t have access to his doctors. And medical professionals in the injury.   From what I read the injury itself shouldn’t be a concern.  
Yes, I JD talks to his doctors and the concerns are minimal / then he shouldn’t hesitate. 

I just dont ever remember a player, a WR who's game is based on speed and has to cut etc, coming back in 6 months.  Seems awfully optimistic.  

There are no guarantees with knees.  I dont know that I care what the Dr says when youre talking the 4th overall pick

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

take Edge at 4.  Trade down from 10.  to 17.  Take Lloyd at 17.  Trade up from 35 to  23 and get J Williams.  Still have a 2nd and a pair of 3rds (from the trade down.

How would we feel with KT, Lloyd, Williams in rd 1?  

At this point i think it’s close to 50 50 they trade down from 10, especially if they take an edge at 4.  If they go wr or OL at 4 there’s more of a rush to get an edge earlier and not trade back.  

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He’s drafted a tackle, a guard, and a milquetoast QB from Utah. Those are not home run picks, imo. Connor Hughes has been saying for a few weeks now—and amped it up this week on one of the draft podcasts—that Douglas is starting to feel some pressure from inside the building about the direction of the team, and that since he can’t convince a receiver to sign an extension with the Jets, he 100% has to get immediate production out of whomever he drafts this year. Hughes pointed out that for Douglas—after loading up on Boy Scouts for three years— to go full-bore after a scumbag like Tyreek Hill and a head case like Metcalf reveals that Douglas is feeling the pressure because Woody is back. Of course Jameson Williams’ camp is going to say he’ll be back in a few weeks, but the fact is that the history on speed guys recovering from an ACL is fairly bleak, and recovery takes a lot longer than six months.  The Giants are still waiting on Saquon Barkley to recover from his and that was almost two years ago. Douglas simply can’t take that chance.

Hitting on those picks wasn't really the point or their position. 

Joe drafts for need early.  It was always going to be a T - Becton over Wirfs (Wirfs being the safer pick), Wilson was a big swing - safer thing was to keep Sam and trade for a haul. Giving away two 3's for a G is swinging for the fences - safer move is wait it out and take the safest prospect on the board.

Joe takes the guy he likes best. He's taking a WR with one of the 1's and If Williams is his top guy he's going to take him.

I completely agree, Joe finally has some pressure on him (probably something to do with Woody being back) and you're correct about the Hill move - But Williams is the closest thing to Hill in this draft.

Passing on Williams for milquetoast WR's like Wilson or Olave - that carry #2 WR skill sets isn't going to help the Jets win.

If they don't trade for a WR Williams will be the pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The best receiver in this class will end up being some dude no one is talking about who gets picked in the third round by the Packers

Seems to happen a lot with WRs, someone come on from a later round or pick and is better than all those mocked and ranked ahead of him

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I just dont ever remember a player, a WR who's game is based on speed and has to cut etc, coming back in 6 months.  Seems awfully optimistic.  

There are no guarantees with knees.  I dont know that I care what the Dr says when youre talking the 4th overall pick

anyone who drafts J Williams is banking on a rehab year in 2022 with maybe some games after Thanksgiving in 2022 and then total domination in 2023.  Sign me up.  I can live with Core Davis still being our #1 until then.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

What a coincidence that this glowing favorable medical update comes out just weeks before the draft.   Good work from Jameson’s agents.  

This is more the Play Like A Jet podcast trying to get Jets fans attention. Hence the doc from New Jersey saying "fully recovered by June."

Whatever team drafts Jameson would not even think about letting him practice during camp. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I completely agree and have to assume JD has gotten a true clean bill of health from his doctors and other doctors.  That he's had his doctors examine him etc.. 

I mean if they tell him he'll be 100% by week 5 - still take him.  But if there's concern about long term damage and it'll take a couple of years to get to 100% - before he can make those explosive cuts.. Then for sure, pass.

But if what we're hearing is true - and he's expected to be 100% by camp? or even the start of the season...Then, to me, it's a no brainer.

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't know if there's any truth to this but if Williams will be ready to go this summer Jets would be insane not to take him 10, heck at this point I would take him at 4.  Easily the best WR in this draft.  

No way. There is no guarantee  he fully recovers from this. At best he is a 3rd or 4th round pick. Until you see him running and cutting, this is a total roll of the dice 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

anyone who drafts J Williams is banking on a rehab year in 2022 with maybe some games after Thanksgiving in 2022 and then total domination in 2023.  Sign me up.  I can live with Core Davis still being our #1 until then.

While I would have guessed the same thing, but that's not what we're hearing right now.  This thread was about, that his team is proclaiming he'll be ready to go - 100% this summer.. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

No way. There is no guarantee  he fully recovers from this. At best he is a 3rd or 4th round pick. Until you see him running and cutting, this is a total roll of the dice 

Honestly, If you're an orthopedic surgeon I would love to hear your opinion - and why it differs from what I'm reading.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Passing on Williams for milquetoast WR's like Wilson or Olave - that carry #2 WR skill sets isn't going to help the Jets win.

See, I feel like this is the weird thing—Wilson had the amazing production and he tested like an elite athlete at the Combine, but he’s a “#2” wideout, but Jameson Williams—who couldn’t beat out either Garrett Wilson or Olave at Ohio State—has achieved some mythical status because he hasn’t done any of the testing. Wilson ran a 4.38. What do we think Jameson would have run—a 4.2? He’s getting the benefit of the doubt because the draft nerds don’t have their little data points that trip them up every year. If Williams was healthy and he ran a 7.0 three cone, all these dudes would have him in the second round, same as they did with DK Metcalf.

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Exactly.  Theyre saying Nov, figure late Nov as you said.  If you can live with that time frame and with the questions surrounding his rehab as of today.  

I dont know that we are given our needs.  This is too important a draft for us IMO

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly, If you're an orthopedic surgeon I would love to hear your opinion - and why it differs from what I'm reading.

Because that's the nature of medicine, surgery, recovery etc

You find one single surgeon who guarantees a time frame and recovery in general and youre finding a liar

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly.  Theyre saying Nov, figure late Nov as you said.  If you can live with that time frame and with the questions surrounding his rehab as of today.  

If the objective is to get Zach Wilson upright this season, no way can they try to shoehorn a new receiver into the mix in Week Eight. It’s a recipe for disaster.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

One thing that concerns me is that we don’t have an established offense as of now and what we really need is to brings guys in that are going to hit their stride sooner rather than later. He might be back by June but when will he be 100%?

On the other hand I believe the biggest indicator of success from the college level to the pros is ability to create separation. This kid is explosive and gets open. If GW is off the board and we take London over him I’ll be very disappointed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I dont know if he's the best WR in the class or not but I will say this, I dont think I've ever seen a team's offense so impacted by a WR.  When he went down, Bama was done.  Literally done.  They had absolutely nothing and Bryce Young looked like a totally different player.

This is what I like about Williams. When I looked at that offense pre-injury, he is what made the offense go - and it was a good offense. Those are the kinds of guys I think teams should bet on in the draft. Sometimes it’s hard to tell, so I could certainly be wrong, but in Alabama’s case I think it was Williams.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

He will fully recover, but no way in hell by June. No NFL team will clear him to practice before week 4 of the season. 

"3rd or 4th round pick" is a bit much. I think he could go late in the first or early 2nd.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

See, I feel like this is the weird thing—Wilson had the amazing production and he tested like an elite athlete at the Combine, but he’s a “#2” wideout, but Jameson Williams—who couldn’t beat out either Garrett Wilson or Olave at Ohio State—has achieved some mythical status because he hasn’t done any of the testing. Wilson ran a 4.38. What do we think Jameson would have run—a 4.2? He’s getting the benefit of the doubt because the draft nerds don’t have their little data points that trip them up every year. If Williams was healthy and he ran a 7.0 three cone, all these dudes would have him in the second round, same as they did with DK Metcalf.

The unknown is always more enticing than the known.  But i doubt wilson is there at 10, so if douglas plans on taking a wr, i suspect it’s via a trade back into the teens where he would grab Burke.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Should just wait a year on receiver and draft Jaxon Smith-Njbila third overall.

I think whether or not douglas drafts a wr in the first round will give insights into his job security.  If he goes OL/edge, that suggests he is content with his longer term plan.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I am not a professional scout but when I watch tape of the 3 of them - I see one guy in Williams who's explosiveness jumps off the screen, kind of guy that get him in space and he's going to rip off big yardage.

I just don't see that from the other two. 

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

It does seem like that all these wr deal with ACL at some point. Guy is supposed to be a stud. I just hate to take the gamble cause when they don't come back fro AcL well they suck. Rather be safe than sorry on the first

Like a pair of jeans that come "pre-worn"...

Should we be OK with a WR that comes with an ACL that is "pre-torn?"...

These are the Jets, after all...

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I think whether or not douglas drafts a wr in the first round will give insights into his job security.  If he goes OL/edge, that suggests he is content with his longer term plan.

In terms of self-preservation, the best moves for Douglas would be to draft two pass rushers at 4 and 10, and then a bellcow running back and OL in the second. Try to mash your way to eight wins on the ground.

• Upvote 1