Jameson Williams

FidelioJet

1 hour ago, ryu79 said:

I thought Hutch looked totally overmatched in his bowl game. Stiff and frustrated with no bend and rendered impotent by the Georgia line. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he does fall to us, though I see he is considered the top pick by a lot of experts in the run up. 

You know, a lot of the podcasts I listen to have been reminding people that before Hutchinson had his big year this year, thibideau was the consensus number 1, by a lot.

If wasn't for the "is his heart in it" questions he probably still would be.

The question for the team, I think, is does a potential number 1 receiver "complete" the offense and is the defense good enough with a high motor guy like Johnson on the edge or is the team better with a receiver with some potential and a talented guy on the edge.

Glad I don't have to make the decision.

Personally, I'm leaning toward the potential number 1 receiver and another high motor guy on the Dline. 

On 4/3/2022 at 5:49 PM, naturalscience said:

The question for the team, I think, is does a potential number 1 receiver "complete" the offense and is the defense good enough with a high motor guy like Johnson on the edge or is the team better with a receiver with some potential and a talented guy on the edge.

Glad I don't have to make the decision.

If I got paid as much as JD then I'd be happy to roll the dice and make a decision (with the help of a bunch of scouts).  In other posts I've made I was going to say "that's why JD gets paid the big bucks".  But the truth is that he's going to be paid regardless of whether his draft picks bust or not.  He's getting paid the big bucks to make the right decisions.  We'll see what happens.

Sign me up for Jameson Williams at #10.  From what I have seen, he is easily the best WR in the draft, and one of the very few that looks like he can be special.  He's being labeled as an elite deep threat (which he very much is), but his intermediate and short games are very good as well.

Players are fully recovering from an ACL tear in 9 months these days.  I have a feeling Williams will be ready for the start of the season, but even if he has to miss a month or so, you can't pass up this type of talent at such a position of need.  This could be a home run pick.

I think draft pundits are missing the ball on this one, much like they did last year with Ja'marr Chase and all the viewpoints that he's "not worth a top 5 pick."  If Williams did not tear his ACL in the National Championship game, he's likely a consensus top 5 pick right now.  The drop due to a rather common and fully recoverable injury is irrational.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Anyone remember any WR's who were drafted with an ACL injury? And how they turned out?

I tried looking it up but kinda difficult finding something so specific.

Berrios had one, and played a year later in college.

So many players get them, it's not nearly the same deal it was 15-20 years ago

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Sign me up for Jameson Williams at #10.  From what I have seen, he is easily the best WR in the draft, and one of the very few that looks like he can be special.  He's being labeled as an elite deep threat (which he very much is), but his intermediate and short games are very good as well.

Players are fully recovering from an ACL tear in 9 months these days.  I have a feeling Williams will be ready for the start of the season, but even if he has to miss a month or so, you can't pass up this type of talent at such a position of need.  This could be a home run pick.

I think draft pundits are missing the ball on this one, much like they did last year with Ja'marr Chase and all the viewpoints that he's "not worth a top 5 pick."  If Williams did not tear his ACL in the National Championship game, he's likely a consensus top 5 pick right now.  The drop due to a rather common and fully recoverable injury is irrational.

This would be easier to take if Mims could wake up while we wait for Williams to get on the field

41 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Anyone remember any WR's who were drafted with an ACL injury? And how they turned out?

I can't think of any, but comparisons wouldn't mean much since ACL surgery techniques keep getting more and more advanced.

It's certainly possible Williams could make a complete recovery and be the WR he was envisioned to be before his injury. For proof that recoveries like this can happen, look no further than Cooper Kupp.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I can't think of any, but comparisons wouldn't mean much since ACL surgery techniques keep getting more and more advanced.

It's certainly possible Williams could make a complete recovery and be the WR he was envisioned to be before his injury. For proof that recoveries like this can happen, look no further than Cooper Kupp.

I know plenty of guys have come back from them obviously, was just curious how it impacted specifically a rookie WR the year he got drafted.

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

My concern is I don't think he makes it to 10.

18 minutes ago, KRL said:

This would be easier to take if Mims could wake up while we wait for Williams to get on the field

Speaking of DoubleDown...

That's exactly what we need to do if we select Williams at #10 (which I am in favor of doing). Either make the big trade everyone is talking about to acquire a #1 WR, or use one of the #2's to draft another good WR prospect. 

Double down.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Not a wide receiver .. but Garrison Hearst beasted.

Just now, Warfish said:

Why is that?  Are you seeing any professional mocks that have him going higher than that?  If so, can you link?

Well, I was referencing @DoubleDown post - specifically where he wrote  "I think draft pundits are missing the ball on this one, much like they did last year with Ja'marr Chase"

I tend to agree with that observation.

I really think the gap between him and whoever anyone thinks is #2 is pretty large and worth the risk.  And based on all the reports coming out that his recovery is ahead of schedule and that he'll be running by the draft - I believe most teams in the WR market will come to this same conclusion

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Who didn’t think Chase was worth a top five pick? There was a little risk with him coming off a year of sitting out which made him a bit unique but I don’t think there were any arguments about his talent.

8 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Hmmm I like him ...

but no contested catches on that tape ... also no catches reaching for the ball.

Maybe he is so good hes always wide open?

Go watch Tyreek Hill highlights and you won't see a whole lot of contested catches either.   Just not going to be that kind of player.

Not saying he's Tyreek Hill, but he is the closest WR to him in this draft.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, I was referencing @DoubleDown post - specifically where he wrote  "I think draft pundits are missing the ball on this one, much like they did last year with Ja'marr Chase"

I really think the gap between him and whoever anyone thinks is #2 is pretty large and worth the risk.  And based on all the reports coming out that his recovery is ahead of schedule and that he'll be running by the draft - I believe most teams in the WR market will come to this same conclusion

Ah, so you think he's the top WR prospect well ahead of the others but also think the draft media and talking heads have all missed it when it comes to him.  Got it, thanks for the clarification.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

Speaking of DoubleDown...

That's exactly what we need to do if we select Williams at #10 (which I am in favor of doing). Either make the big trade everyone is talking about to acquire a #1 WR, or use one of the #2's to draft another good WR prospect. 

Double down.

Yep. That's why I think Brandin Cooks would be a great option. Grab him and he can immediately help Zach. Grab Williams at 10 or by trading back into round 1 with a second and a 3rd. Then we would be building an elite offense. Edge at 4. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If I got paid as much as JD then I'd be happy to roll the dice and make a decision (with the help of a bunch of scouts).  In other posts I've made I was going to say "that's why JD gets paid the big bucks".  But the truth is that he's going to be paid regardless of whether his draft picks bust or not.  He's getting paid the big bucks to make the right decisions.  We'll see what happens.

Lol. Good point. It's not like he has to give it back for picks that don't work out.

Not too bad a work if you can get it I suppose. Set for life for 6 years work. Not too bad st all! 

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Ah, so you think he's the top WR prospect well ahead of the others but also think the draft media and talking heads have all missed it when it comes to him.  Got it, thanks for the clarification.

As the draftnik community has gone through this receiver class, they’ve picked apart everyone else, but keep coming back to how great Jameson Williams is because they have no data on him and can just make it up.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Just look up WRs in general who have recovered from ACL injuries. Generally good results. Not worth a #4 gamble. A #10 gamble? yes. The guy I’m worried about is Lawson. Achilles are tough on DEs who rely on burst of speed to be effective 

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As the draftnik community has gone through this receiver class, they’ve picked apart everyone else, but keep coming back to how great Jameson Williams is because they have no data on him and can just make it up.

He got railed recently in a yards per route run against press, which has been a criticism of the draft crew here.

It’s not hard to bang on everyone else when you’ve got a class full of mediocre athletes with mediocre production and a couple great athletes with less than mediocre production.

Feels like a classic push this year’s guys up because the last couple years went well. But the last couple years went well because those guys were better prospects.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Pickens >>> Williams. 

decidedly

This may be the case on tape but I’ll let another team take the guy with off field questions and tiny hands.

And you can let another team take the guy who’s struggled against press coming off a torn ACL, haha.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, derp said:

This may be the case on tape but I’ll let another team take the guy with off field questions and tiny hands.

And you can let another team take the guy who’s struggled against press coming off a torn ACL, haha.

“Tiny” hands?… exaggeration. I think the off field stuff is overblown. Lith spoke to it.. but ok. Still looking at a flawed top 5. I trust Pickens and Wilson, then London. Burks to an extent. I love parts of Williams’ game but not the price tag. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

“Tiny” hands?… exaggeration. I think the off field stuff is overblown. Lith spoke to it.. but ok. Still looking at a flawed top 5. I trust Pickens and Wilson, then London. Burks to an extent. I love parts of Williams’ game but not the price tag. 

They’re very small for an NFL WR, and it’d be an exception for someone with hands that small to be a high end producer as a WR. Close to some elite guys who are exceptions themselves, but still smaller. Sub 9” is very small. They’re 9th percentile for WR’s. Maybe you don’t like tiny for 9th percentile but I’ll let 9th percentile stand.

He’s also very lean for his height. There’s some promising stuff that’s going to get him drafted day two but if there weren’t good reasons for teams to pump the brakes on him he’d go a whole lot sooner. The profile is not without risk.

It’s absolutely a very flawed class.

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Every Draft Pundit thought Chase was by far the best WR and the best WR prospect in a while. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, derp said:

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

My main problem with the idea of picking Williams is really that Douglas probably doesn’t have enough job security to gamble on taking him. If I was the Packers or something, he’d be a great pick. For these Jets? Just can’t do it. I think missing so bad on Mims raises the stakes crazy high for Douglas to land the next one.