Fowler: League executives believe DK is available

18 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Seattle doesn't want to be embarrassed again like they were with Jamal so they are being extra careful to wait for a strong offer.  But am I crazy in thinking that Metcalf is not the same player as Tyreek Hill.  Do we really want to trade as much for him and make him our 30 million dollar a year WR?  I think I'd rather keep the picks and roll the dice on an WR in the first round.

I think if Seattle can get the same as Hill it gives them cover on the deal - I think if the Jets can get him for that, under the circumstance, it's a good deal.  Certainly Hill is more explosive and in their prime's Hill would be worth a lot more, no question.

But 24 vs. 28 is a big deal.  Quick twitch guys like Hill are done by 30.

The Jets simply can't go into the season with the same WR core + a rookie and a late addition JAG.   Which is likely why they seem so desperate and willing to overpay.

I truly believe Hill and Brown will be a Jet.

31 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Seattle doesn't want to be embarrassed again like they were with Jamal so they are being extra careful to wait for a strong offer.  But am I crazy in thinking that Metcalf is not the same player as Tyreek Hill.  Do we really want to trade as much for him and make him our 30 million dollar a year WR?  I think I'd rather keep the picks and roll the dice on an WR in the first round.

I agree we should keep our picks, and choose a wide receiver at the #10 spot.  We know that a good one will be there at #10, and we will have that player locked up in a rookie contract for the next 4 years.

By not committing to Metcalf, we have the flexibility to sign a big name player for the future.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t think we can get both. In fact KT might be gone before we ever get a chance at #4, and if he is there, I doubt Sauce will be at #10.

This deal comes down to whether DK wants to be here, and JD is willing to not only give up the picks Seattle wants, but also willing to pay Metcalf the big contract he wants. 

Somehow, somewhere, the NFL got turned upside down as far as these deals go. If a trade to the Jets and an extension isn’t agreed to by DK, it isn’t happening anyway.

I’m  surprised you need me to explain what this post has to do with the picks we’d need to give up, but here goes….

23 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Depends on what a DK would cost us.  Could leave us without the ammo to draft KT and Sauce

Are you not talking here about the cost of DK and getting both KT and Sauce?

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Which has what to do with us losing picks in a trade for DK

The part where I said both players won’t be available at #4&10. What’s so hard to understand here? I wasn’t arguing your point, simply expounding on it.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, ganggreen305 said:

Its embarrassing how everyone trolls the Jets.  We are just being played and teased.  Its annoying.  Even the players are tired of it.

Don’t blame the teams, players or agents for using us to drive prices to their advantage.
If you were offered a very good paying position by a company you knew was unable to compete in their field, wouldn’t you look for similar offers from a better company before you accepted an offer from the bad one?

Right now we’re rebuilding. Until we turn this around and start winning, we are rarely going to be looked at as a “destination team”.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Alka said:

I agree we should keep our picks, and choose a wide receiver at the #10 spot.  We know that a good one will be there at #10, and we will have that player locked up in a rookie contract for the next 4 years.

By not committing to Metcalf, we have the flexibility to sign a big name player for the future.  

Understandable for sure, but I get the sense the Jets don't see any of the WR's in the draft as the game changing type. 

From what I see I agree, except Williams and that's a tricky thing.

If the Jets want to win championships they're going to need a small handful of elite players.  The Jets don't have any - Metcalf would be the first piece.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Understandable for sure, but I get the sense the Jets don't see any of the WR's in the draft as the game changing type. 

From what I see I agree, except Williams and that's a tricky thing.

If the Jets want to win championships they're going to need a small handful of elite players.  The Jets don't have any - Metcalf would be the first piece.

You know, I can't disagree with you, but you know, the Jets could still pick a wide receiver at #10, even if they do get Metcalf.  (assuming that they don't give up the #10 pick for Metcalf, although they probably wont get him without giving up #10.)

36 minutes ago, Alka said:

I’d rather just sign Coke Beasley on a cheap one year deal and keep both first round picks

• Thumb Down 1

55 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

McLaurin has played with sub-par QBs his entire time in Wash and hasn't complained a peep. High quality individual. Is he worth the first round pick it would take to pry him away from Wash though? May even take a first and a third. This dude could flourish with A-Rod though. I am quite sure he is on Gute's radar.

The Packers are exploring all avenues for WRs. Will be a combo of transactions including the draft for adding multiple players to the WR room. I do know the Packers WR room will look a lot different in late August than it does today. Gute is on the case.

In Gute We Trust!

Of course if McLaurin becomes available for a trade the Jets would be the only team with any real shot at acquiring him.?

Draft Christian Watson. He’s a fast 6’4” about 215 pounds WR who can block. With a little work can become our home grown version of Metcalf without the headaches and 30 million dollar price tag associated with DK and we keep our picks  as well 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Damn it don’t seem like this WR drama is ending anytime soon 

I think teams really don't want to warehouse diva WRs at $25mm/year if they don't have a QB that is going to get them into the playoffs.  

Every NFL team wants to "win," but in today's NFL teams need to consider whether they can afford, or want to spend the resources, on a WR when they don't have a QB to get them the ball, or they don't think they have a realistic playoff chances.

So, the Bears let Robinson go because he was expensive and older, and they are not competitive at least for a few years.  The Cowboys could have kept Cooper, but they are paying Zeke and others, and they have Gallop and Lamb.  The Dolphins paid Hill and have Waddle and did not need Parker anymore.   Do the Redskins want to pay McLaurin or the Seahawks Metcalf?  Probably not.  It does not make sense for the Titans to let AJ Brown go-they are still a solid playoff team despite Tannehill.   The Packers decided to pay Rodgers and not Adams, particularly when he did not to be there.  

This is a deed WR draft, particularly 16-32, so many of the teams that let WRs walk will be replacing them at the bottom of the first round with NFL rookies, which is how good teams are supposed to stay good.  

The Jets should be taking the WR they feel is best for them at 10.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Draft Christian Watson. He’s a fast 6’4” about 215 pounds WR who can block. With a little work can become our home grown version of Metcalf without the headaches and 30 million dollar price tag associated with DK and we keep our picks  as well 

And there's the rub....

Time for waiting and hoping is over.  He's had three years to build that way - that luxury is gone.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Lockett never had more than 60 receptions or 1000 yards in his career until DK Metcalf arrived and defenses had to shift coverage.

F**ck it JD... Trade for both DK and AJ Brown... send Corey Davis in one package to Seattle. and trade picks to the Titans. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

With all these elite wide receivers available this off season along with the draft capital and cap space we possess, I’m going to be really ticked off if we don’t get one of them by draft night.

Lets see how many of Metcalf, AJ Brown, Scary Terry 

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

DK: Jets offering  me big money to go play there. 

Jamal: Come on playa, it sucked when I was there 

DK: Sucks now that you are here too.

Jamal: >silence<

Geno: They punched me in my jaw!

DK and Jamal: “oh shut up Geno!” 

do continue... I can't wait for the next episode.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

With the WR market reset teams are going to be hungry for rookie WRs. If you wait until the 2nd round to go WR it might be too late.

I'm of the opinion that you want to over stack that position in todays game. If you can't win on the outside and put up points you're not going to win a lot of games.

all the more reason to move down from 10 somewhat and /or up from 35 or 38 if needed.

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

And there's the rub....

Time for waiting and hoping is over.  He's had three years to build that way - that luxury is gone.

I get what your saying but JD was hired in June of 2019 he hasn’t been here three years as yet. He’s basically has had 2 drafts and two free agency periods too build a team that was be rift of any talent from previous GMs to be a consistent winner. Big year for him and Saleh he needs to knock this draft out of the park and Saleh has to coach these guys up and quickly 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

all the more reason to move down from 10 somewhat and /or up from 35 or 38 if needed.

If this draft fell the right way, #4 and #35 would be fairly close in value to #16 and #19 (PHI).  I'm not sure if there is a player who could fall to 4 that would make PHI want to do that for, but it would be one way to accomplish both in the same trade.

10, 16, 19.  Right in the heart of this draft's value.  A man can dream.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, CSNY said:

I get what your saying but JD was hired in June of 2019 he hasn’t been here three years as yet. He’s basically has had 2 drafts and two free agency periods too build a team that was be rift of any talent from previous GMs to be a consistent winner. Big year for him and Saleh he needs to knock this draft out of the park and Saleh has to coach these guys up and quickly 

Look, I was all for the rebuild or the tear down is more like it.  I felt that was necessary and have had the patience to see it through...but that was his first two years.  This is year three no matter how you look at it - this team has to look NFL caliber and win games.  I'm not calling for playoffs but do need to starting see real, legitimate progress.

Bottom line is JD didn't draft well enough to give himself the luxury of not going after big ticket items in FA.

Mims was a big miss, Zuniga was a big miss, Davis was a miss....

2nd and 3rd round misses that even if average starter caliber would have given him much more flexibility.

I'm not even really blaming him, no one hits on all their picks - but it doesn't change the reality.  Team needs to compete now.

Going into the season with Moore, Davis and Berrios as your starters - plus some JAG FA and an unknown quantity in a draft pick (Mims will be cut) would be the definition of negligence - especially when he has ALL his eggs in the Zach Wilson bandwagon.

It's why JD is showing desperation and why he really doesn't have a choice...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Alka said:

Yea. Why do we have to sign an impact player now. There's always next year.Maybe next year, the perfect player will be available.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

With all these elite wide receivers available this off season along with the draft capital and cap space we possess, I’m going to be really ticked off if we don’t get one of them by draft night.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Some of the comments in this thread are crazy man. RIGHT NOW is the time to use our draft capital and cap space to improve the team.

It's almost like some fans prefer the hypothetical of draft capital and cap space because it represents hope and we never have expectations -- half that group will be defending Zach Wilson's lack of weapons when we draft a WR at 10 and he has a rough rookie year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Some of the comments in this thread are crazy man. RIGHT NOW is the time to use our draft capital and cap space to improve the team.

It's almost like some fans prefer the hypothetical of draft capital and cap space because it represents hope and we never have expectations -- half that group will be defending Zach Wilson's lack of weapons when we draft a WR at 10 and he has a rough rookie year.

It's. kinda weird, if you ask me.

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He's had three years to build that way - that luxury is gone.

Oh, stop. This has been discussed at length, and the facts are simple. He was hired after FA, and the draft his first year. He may have 3 seasons under his belt technically already, but the first year was essentially a redshirt year. Many of us questioned why they waited until after the draft to fire the GM. This is year three of team building (running FA and the draft). The team has a lot of young potential, with a sh*tload more coming by way of the draft (in part due to JD getting 2 firsts for an overrated asset), and we'll see how it goes this season.