Fowler: League executives believe DK is available

Rhg1084

8 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Oh, stop. This has been discussed at length, and the facts are simple. He was hired after FA, and the draft his first year. He may have 3 seasons under his belt technically already, but the first year was essentially a redshirt year. Many of us questioned why they waited until after the draft to fire the GM. This is year three of team building (running FA and the draft). The team has a lot of young potential, with a sh*tload more coming by way of the draft (in part due to JD getting 2 firsts for an overrated asset), and we'll see how it goes this season.  

So you're good with a 4-6 win season?  

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Look, I was all for the rebuild or the tear down is more like it.  I felt that was necessary and have had the patience to see it through...but that was his first two years.  This is year three no matter how you look at it - this team has to look NFL caliber and win games.  I'm not calling for playoffs but do need to starting see real, legitimate progress.

Bottom line is JD didn't draft well enough to give himself the luxury of not going after big ticket items in FA.

Mims was a big miss, Zuniga was a big miss, Davis was a miss....

2nd and 3rd round misses that even if average starter caliber would have given him much more flexibility.

I'm not even really blaming him, no one hits on all their picks - but it doesn't change the reality.  Team needs to compete now.

Going into the season with Moore, Davis and Berrios as your starters - plus some JAG FA and an unknown quantity in a draft pick (Mims will be cut) would be the definition of negligence - especially when he has ALL his eggs in the Zach Wilson bandwagon.

It's why JD is showing desperation and why he really doesn't have a choice...

This will be JD’s third draft and second with his hand picked coach. 2020 draft ( and any subsequent drafts) falls totally on him as he is GM but I truly feel that his decisions in drafting players in 2020 (with the exception of Becton that’s unequivocally on JD) were heavily influenced by Gase as he tried to get players his coach wanted as evidenced by how he is drafting players specifically for Saleh. As I said big year for those two he has too hit on this draft or he won’t make his fifth year let alone his sixth 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

No, I'm looking for at least eight wins, and looking good in tough losses. I'm just being honest about how long he's really been in control of the roster, and how pathetic it was. This will be his third draft. The first one so far seems like a swing and a miss (his first draft and crazy covid rules). His second draft seems far better than the first. We'll see how this one shapes up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't think about it like you do. I want the Jets to have a stable, long term focused organization and I'm willing to let them all grow up together. Last year was rockier than I hoped from an immediate perspective but exceeded expectations from a long term view so I'm fine with how things are proceeding and excited to see what the 2022 roster looks like and what the Jets coaching staff can do with it. To me, the Jets are no longer dysfunctional. I'm good with some fans being impatient but I believe the best in a long time lies ahead and not behind.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 9:33 AM, FidelioJet said:

I hear you, but if it's just #10 and nothing more I pull the trigger.  You're taking a WR there anyway.  

i would imagine it would be 10 at the most.  

I had heard a proposal early on that said 10 for DK and a 4th. I dont think thats the case now, but I do think you could do it straight up for 10. 

Nice symmetry there too giving the seahawks their own pick back for their best player lol 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jethead said:

I don't think about it like you do. I want the Jets to have a stable, long term focused organization and I'm willing to let them all grow up together. Last year was rockier than I hoped from an immediate perspective but exceeded expectations from a long term view so I'm fine with how things are proceeding and excited to see what the 2022 roster looks like and what the Jets coaching staff can do with it. To me, the Jets are no longer dysfunctional. I'm good with some fans being impatient but I believe the best in a long time lies ahead and not behind.

Perfect response.   I get that some people only care about wins and losses, but to get to the point where they CAN win more games, they need stability and a plan.  That’s what JD has provided.  Getting mad every few years and firing the GM is not the way to go. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jethead said:

Saw an early season estimate that had the Jets with the second toughest schedule in the league. Probably a tough season coming up. With the young guys on the roster we’ll see if ownership remains process oriented as opposed to results oriented.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

12 years no playoffs and you’re mad at me for pointing out obvious facts?

Did I say I was mad? I’m not mad. Just also stating facts. Are you mad? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Haven't been on much today but this is already out there right?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/seahawks-reportedly-turned-down-jets-trade-offer-for-dk-metcalf/ar-AAVU18G?li=BBnbfcL

The New York Jets reportedly made a trade offer to the Seattle Seahawks for wide receiver DK Metcalf, but it was rejected.

The Seattle Seahawks made one of the first big blockbuster trades of the NFL offseason by sending quarterback Russell Wilson to the Denver Broncos. After this, there were some wondering if the team would continue to sell by moving their best players. One name brought up quite frequently is wide receiver DK Metcalf, who is due for a new contract after this season.

According to Howard Eskin of 94WIP, the New York Jets offered the 10th overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft to the Seahawks for Metcalf, but Seattle turned it down. Yes, the very pick that the Jets acquired from the Seahawks for safety Jamal Adams.

"The Jets were going to offer, and Seattle knew it, the No. 10 pick in the fist round. I'v been told by multiple people when somebody calls Seattle about D.K. Metcalf (they said) 'We're not trading him. We're not trading him.' They don't even take the offer," Eskin said, h/t 94WIP. "They just say 'Nope' and they just shut it right down. You can't even make an offer right now."

I'd cap it at the 10th and the first 4th and if they say no then walk and pivot to an offer for McLaurin that doesn't include that first rounder.  Maybe a 2nd and 5th.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pac said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/seahawks-reportedly-turned-down-jets-trade-offer-for-dk-metcalf/ar-AAVU18G?li=BBnbfcL

The New York Jets reportedly made a trade offer to the Seattle Seahawks for wide receiver DK Metcalf, but it was rejected.

The Seattle Seahawks made one of the first big blockbuster trades of the NFL offseason by sending quarterback Russell Wilson to the Denver Broncos. After this, there were some wondering if the team would continue to sell by moving their best players. One name brought up quite frequently is wide receiver DK Metcalf, who is due for a new contract after this season.

According to Howard Eskin of 94WIP, the New York Jets offered the 10th overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft to the Seahawks for Metcalf, but Seattle turned it down. Yes, the very pick that the Jets acquired from the Seahawks for safety Jamal Adams.

"The Jets were going to offer, and Seattle knew it, the No. 10 pick in the fist round. I'v been told by multiple people when somebody calls Seattle about D.K. Metcalf (they said) 'We're not trading him. We're not trading him.' They don't even take the offer," Eskin said, h/t 94WIP. "They just say 'Nope' and they just shut it right down. You can't even make an offer right now."

I'd cap it at the 10th and the first 4th and if they say no then walk and pivot to an offer for McLaurin that doesn't include that first rounder.  Maybe a 2nd and 5th.

I say just go offer the 10 for mclaurin now and get that beast.

• Upvote 1

Douglas is clearly desperate to get a guy who can contribute now. Pretty much rules out Jameson Williams IMO. If we do draft a WR at #10 it’s going to be fairly obvious it wasn’t the preferred option. 

I like that we made the offer and he’s a guy we should be pushing to get but if they’re looking for a crazy return it’s probably better to walk. Metcalf instantly would give us an elite group of receivers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Yea. Why do we have to sign an impact player now. There's always next year.Maybe next year, the perfect player will be available.
... for short money!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Pac said:

Welp that’s that. Time to pivot to Mclaurin and Brown. If a deal isn’t struck with a WR 1, rest assured we’re taking one at 10.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Pac said:

Seattle isn't even entertaining offers. They are not trading him. The end.

Jets fan: "Offer them our whole draft for DK. If they they turn that down then pivot to McLaurin" 🤣

Funny thing is, McLaurin is a better and more valuable WR than DK. Not to mention the fact that Terry McLaurin is a high quality individual, and Metcalf is a sketchy human being at best.

Neither is available. Not worth a discussion at this point.

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Douglas is clearly desperate to get a guy who can contribute now. Pretty much rules out Jameson Williams IMO. If we do draft a WR at #10 it’s going to be fairly obvious it wasn’t the preferred option. 

I like that we made the offer and he’s a guy we should be pushing to get but if they’re looking for a crazy return it’s probably better to walk. Metcalf instantly would give us an elite group of receivers. 

This

At this point we need to just focus on getting the BEST WR in the draft. No second round dudes no projects , we need the BEST.

JD backed himself into this corner 

58 minutes ago, Pac said:

In that case I suggest joining the Will Smith thread.  I dont think we've gotten a Packers fan perspective on the slap heard round the world.

Will Smith? Never heard of him, unless you are talking about the former DE of the New Orleans Saints.😏

21 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

At this point we need to just focus on getting the BEST WR in the draft. No second round dudes no projects , we need the BEST.

This is what I’d like to see. That and a new RB for the committee and a TE to groom. 

21 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

How, by not kidnapping Tyreek Hill? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

This

If we want to guarantee that we get "the best" (our favorite) WR in the draft - I think we probably have to take him at 4. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 11:41 AM, long time suffering Jets f said:

With all these elite wide receivers available this off season along with the draft capital and cap space we possess, I’m going to be really ticked off if we don’t get one of them by draft night.

There was one elite WR. moved, Hill.  And at the last second the deal vanished because he wanted to make his home in Miami. Happens

The others are rumored to be attainable, no one knows that they actually are.  Not only does their team have to be willing to move them but they have to be willing to sign an extension if youre going to send picks to their current team.

If it doesnt happen there are reasons to not get ticked off

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

If we want to guarantee that we get "the best" (our favorite) WR in the draft - I think we probably have to take him at 4. 

This 👆☝️

as draft day approaches this is looking more and more like the reality 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

This 👆☝️

as draft day approaches this is looking more and more like the reality 

Unfortunately, I don't see the Jets doing this.  I think the priority is edge. Could be wrong. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/4/2022 at 3:27 PM, FidelioJet said:

Going into the season with Moore, Davis and Berrios as your starters - plus some JAG FA and an unknown quantity in a draft pick (Mims will be cut) would be the definition of negligence - especially when he has ALL his eggs in the Zach Wilson bandwagon.

It's why JD is showing desperation and why he really doesn't have a choice...

Whos the JAG WR FA you see in that crystal ball of yours?  What if he can find a team willing to deal a better than JAG WR? I havent heard any JAG WR rumor.  Have you?

Even without a FA if he comes away with one of the top WRs in the draft and a spot filler in late FA the WR room wouldnt come close to sucking.  Or being the definition of negligence.  In any way.  

And in no way has JD shown that hes desperate.  Because he tried to get T Hill?  Yeah, that was desperate. Come on 

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Thought I read somewhere that the worst case scenario for Williams to be fully fit and available is week 4.

If he's out number 1 receiver, I'm writing off those three missed games and drafting him. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Whos the JAG WR FA you see in that crystal ball of yours?  What if he can find a team willing to deal a better than JAG WR? I havent heard any JAG WR rumor.  Have you?

Even without a FA if he comes away with one of the top WRs in the draft and a spot filler in late FA the WR room wouldnt come close to sucking.  Or being the definition of negligence.  In any way.  

And in no way has JD shown that hes desperate.  Because he tried to get T Hill?  Yeah, that was desperate. Come on 

I am honestly not sure the controversy here....

If they don't trade for a WR (as what my post noted) They have to pick one up in FA  

It's not like they're going to play with 4.  If they don't trade for one they will pick one up in FA.  There are still plenty available.  No crystal ball just basic logic.

So, I'll repeat my concern - If the Jets go into the season with Moore, Davis, BB, Rookie and some JAG FA - it would be irresponsible of Douglas.  Which is why I see him doing everything he can to make one of these bigger trades.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I am honestly not sure the controversy here....

If they don't trade for a WR (as what my post noted) They have to pick one up in FA  

It's not like they're going to play with 4.  If they don't trade for one they will pick one up in FA.  There are still plenty available.  No crystal ball just basic logic.

So, I'll repeat my concern - If the Jets go into the season with Moore, Davis, BB, Rookie and some JAG FA - it would be irresponsible of Douglas.  Which is why I see him doing everything he can to make one of these bigger trades.

So I'll give you the controversy. Its you selling the idea that if we dont get a top WR, I'm assuming DK etc, the option is adding a JAG to the WR room.  A FA WR and a high draft pick is somehow problematic and a concern, why?  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

So I'll give you the controversy. Its you selling the idea that if we dont get a top WR, I'm assuming DK etc, the option is adding a JAG to the WR room.  A FA WR and a high draft pick is somehow problematic and a concern, why?  

Okay, fair enough.  

Because a rookie is an unknown - and a Jag, is well, a Jag...

This is an offensive league - and having Davis that missed almost half the season with injuries, Moore that 3 had three separate injuries and missed multiple games and 5'8" Berrios as your top three WR would be bad.

My opinion is not going into this season with a legitimate #1 WR would be a huge miss by our General Manager.

Sounds like you think that WR room would be okay - ultimately it's just a matter of opinion.

7 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Not sure why rejecting an offer would be anti-Jet.

I think we all believe this is exactly what happened.  Jets made an offer, Seattle said it's not enough.  Doesn't mean they won't move him or eventually take the offer.  

• Like 1