How close was Deshaun Watson to becoming a Falcon?

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

It was all over until mayfields tweet. The browns were in a brutal position and called Watsons reps with a checkbook on bended knee. 

And now they still don’t know what to do with Mayfield, right?

seems like he will be a draft day trade. But it will be interesting to see when it happens, because I think it’s very unlikely to be a 1st round pick. Cleveland is in a tough spot. Every NFL team knows the Browns want to get rid of Baker. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if we are well into day 2 of the draft before we hear that Baker has been moved.

• Upvote 1

It seemed pretty obvious that the browns bought Watson. Him going to Cleveland was shocking until we saw the contract numbers. The browns had this mayfield situation getting out of hand in real time. the browns losing out on Watson and having baker demanding a trade was not an option. Baker was not returning regardless of the outcome with Watson. Too much damage was done with the pursuit of Watson. The browns paying what they did and it being fully guaranteed was the only way to prevent the sh*t from hitting the fan. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Yeah, but Cleveland?

F that. 

It’s the knicks  giving Phil Jackson the ability to work at home in California all over again. These arrangements never work out. If you have to beat someone over the head with bags of money to take a job they have tried to turn down multiple times, you always wind up regretting it 

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

seems like he will be a draft day trade. But it will be interesting to see when it happens, because I think it’s very unlikely to be a 1st round pick. Cleveland is in a tough spot. Every NFL team knows the Browns want to get rid of Baker. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if we are well into day 2 of the draft before we hear that Baker has been moved.

Rival GMs know if they wait long enough he’ll get cut  his market can’t be more than 2 or 3 teams. 
still think the Steelers are a possibility if he’s cut. That would be amazingly amazing lol

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Accurate assessment. Really makes you wonder how the hell we got a 2nd for sam

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, extmenace said:

It seemed pretty obvious that the browns bought Watson. Him going to Cleveland was shocking until we saw the contract numbers. The browns had this mayfield situation getting out of hand in real time. the browns losing out on Watson and having baker demanding a trade was not an option. Baker was not returning regardless of the outcome with Watson. Too much damage was done with the pursuit of Watson. The browns paying what they did and it being fully guaranteed was the only way to prevent the sh*t from hitting the fan. 

Heard a pretty interesting interview with Joe Banner who, along with being the former CEO of the Browns, was also the Team President of the Eagles when they signed Vick fresh off the prison bus. His position was that if you signed Watson, you needed to build in a bunch of protections for future indiscretions (like they did with Vick) or you obviously risk having it blow up in your beak. They knew they would incur a few rough news cycles when they signed Vick, but as long as he played well, it would pass. Schefter (who was conducting the interview) told Banner that the Watson contract doesn’t have much if any protections against future indiscretions, which surprised Banner, who said that those outs were fairly standards in all contracts, which led him to believe they just gave the farm to Watson’s agent out of pure desperation. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

At this point it might turn into a brock osweiler situation where Cleveland will need to give someone a draft pick to get out of the contract.