The Jets need to be strategic with their top 4 draft picks. I have the answers which I believe the Jets will follow.

Alka

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Is there ever a time when any team doesn’t need to be strategic with there draft picks? 

Always strategic, but the strategy changes depending on the needs and the draft picks of the team in question.  The Jets need multiple starting players, and if the Jets play their hand correctly, can fill in 4 starting positions with the top 4 draft picks.  If the Jets aren't as strategic as I have outlined, will not be able to fill 4 starting positions.  The Jets need starting players, and if they draft a cornerback and safety at #4 and #10, then the pickings get slim for other positions for starters in the second round.  

The dumbest thing the Jets can do is draft Sauce at #4 and Hamilton at #10.  Just dumb.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Alka said:

I have way too much time on my hands.  I have done countless mock drafts, and over the course of time, I have realized that there is a definite trend that I believe the Jets must see as I do.

And that is, that there are at least 10 cornerbacks/safeties in this years draft that are very solid, and at approximately  5 of these draftees will be available at the #35 spot and #38 spot.  All 10 of these prospects are deemed worthy of either a 1st round pick, or 2nd round pick, and I can see every one of them as potential starters going into this next season.  In addition, there will be at least 2 solid, potential starters for linebacker at the #35 and #38 spot as well.

So, why is this so important?  The answer is clear.  By the #35 spot, the top edge rushers will be gone, and the top wide receivers will be gone.  The Jets need edge rusher and wide receiver, and if the Jets do in fact stay calm and focused, they must stick to the plan and get both players in the top 10.

At #35 and #38, the Jets will be in great shape to draft a potential starter at cornerback, safety and linebacker.  

This is the way the Jets will go in my opinion.  I don't care if Sauce or Kyle Hamilton is available at the #10 spot.  There will be solid players for them at the top of the second round, and they must stay focused and understand the strength of this years draft.  

I don't see many legit starting outside CB's who will be around in Rd. 2. Certainly not the likes of Ahmad Gardner. Gardner, Stingley, Booth, Elam and McDuffie will most likely all go in Rd. 1. Maybe one of them will slip to Rd. 2. Maybe even to our pick. But I wouldn't bet on it. If I'm the Jets I'm not looking for a nickel or slot CB. If you are talking about McCreary, Woolen, Taylor-Britt, Goodrich, Emerson- they are all 'solid' prospects- but I don't think you can rely on any of them to step in and start. Kind of hard to know what you are talking about if you don't actually mention any names. 

LB's I actually agree. There WILL be linebackers available in Rd. 2 who can step right in and contribute as starters- playing alongside Mosley. Christian Harris, Muma, Chenal, maybe even Dean slides to Rd. 2. I actually think only Lloyd is a lock to go in Rd. 1. He is an absolute monster. Most likely Lloyd and Dean. 

I don't think what you said about the Edge and WR position going early is unique thinking. Most of us will agree that the top 5-7 Edge rushers will go in Rd. 1 and the top 5-7 WRs will go in Rd. 1. Thats just how it works these days. However, both positions are pretty deep this year. Particularly Edge. Guys like Cam Thomas, Drake Jackson, Paschal, Enagbare, M.Sanders, and maybe even Mafe and Ebiketie will be available in Rd. 2. 

In the end, what I would say is that the Jets need to go best player on their board. Position of need and value of position is ALWAYS to be taken into account. But you go with top talent. That is always what edges out in the very top selections. If that happens to be an Edge like Thib.- I'm all for it, if it happens to be Sauce- good, if its Ekwonu or Neal- fine, if the Jets truly believe Hamilton is THAT unique of a talent (I personally don't think he is)- then yes draft him. But to take Edge and WR- just to address those needs b/c you think other needs can be addressed later is not really the best way to approach the draft-IMO. Just take the best player.   

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Totally agree with the logic OP. I think Thibs is an auto-draft if he's there at 4. And no, I don't buy the bullsh*t noise about him and neither do the Jets.

Garrett Wilson or Jameson Williams make too much sense at 10. I love Christian Watson and his athleticism may warrant the #10, but his production screams 2nd round "take a chance" guy. I don't think any of these receivers make it to the 2nd round. Your point is well taken on the pass rushers, the top ones won't make it past top 10 picks.

All that said, Sauce Gardner may eventually emerge as the best player from this draft, he's a clean prospect. 

13 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

No. But his point is solid you don't waste a pick on cb in the top 10

What exactly are you basing that on?  If you go by salaries based on position, after QB, Edge and WR are pretty close. But then comes IDL, LT and CB all lumped together.  It is a premium position based on what teams are having to fork over to retain talent...

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Is there ever a time when any team doesn’t need to be strategic with there draft picks? 

I think you can look at the Jets' Drafts over the last 10 years and see little or no strategy.   We can see it both ways.  In 2015 the Jets were terrible covering RBs and TEs, so they drafted Darron Lee.  He just was not very good. That whole draft was not good.  But loading up on the DL, year after year, etc., and then reaching for need, was not strategic. 

16 minutes ago, Alka said:

The dumbest thing the Jets can do is draft Sauce at #4 and Hamilton at #10.  Just dumb.

It is quite possible that Sauce at 4 is the best player the Jets can take at that spot that they can also use.  They obviously bet against that by spending $11mm/year on DJ Ward.  It is also possible that Ekwenu is the BPA at that spot, but yes, the Jets bet against that by paying Tomlinsoin $13mm/year.   So you would almost conclude that they are playing on drafting an EDGE at 4, which would be very strategic.  But if the first 4 picks are Hutchinson, Walker and Thib, then best BPA would be Sauce or Ekwenu, either of whom puts a capable starter on the bench, as opposed to adding a net capable starter.  If that is the case, someone is trading up for a QB, and you trade down.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

This draft stinks, the top of the draft stinks, the jets need to try to trade down if they can.

The most solid of the guys at the very top are rare 'non needs' for the jets.

The two players I see top four who are the most solid, clean prospects are Gardner and Ekonwu.

I'd be amazed if Douglas had the sheer balls to draft Ekonwu (or Neal)

28 minutes ago, Alka said:

Always strategic, but the strategy changes depending on the needs and the draft picks of the team in question.  The Jets need multiple starting players, and if the Jets play their hand correctly, can fill in 4 starting positions with the top 4 draft picks.  If the Jets aren't as strategic as I have outlined, will not be able to fill 4 starting positions.  The Jets need starting players, and if they draft a cornerback and safety at #4 and #10, then the pickings get slim for other positions for starters in the second round.  

Strategies do not tend to change that often.  Tactics do change frequently.  :)

i don't really care much if they take a corner in the first round or second.  the key is to get those  impact players with the 4th and 10th picks.  and if this draft is as level as people say then they should also get some good players with the second round picks.  if they can emerge with 4 starters then douglas has done his job well.  if he adds some good depth then it's all the better.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

If the first round goes edge the first 3 picks AND Becton looks questionable or is unable to participate  in OTA's then JD takes either Neal or Ickey with 4 and goes WR with 10. CB/WR in the 2nd round.

i'd rather not see the jets use a top pick on oline but that's their call.  is becton coming back strong?  i think he is but i'm not the one making the decisions nor do i have a better view of the situation than douglas or saleh.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Alka said:

I have way too much time on my hands.  I have done countless mock drafts, and over the course of time, I have realized that there is a definite trend that I believe the Jets must see as I do.

And that is, that there are at least 10 cornerbacks/safeties in this years draft that are very solid, and at approximately  5 of these draftees will be available at the #35 spot and #38 spot.  All 10 of these prospects are deemed worthy of either a 1st round pick, or 2nd round pick, and I can see every one of them as potential starters going into this next season.  In addition, there will be at least 2 solid, potential starters for linebacker at the #35 and #38 spot as well.

So, why is this so important?  The answer is clear.  By the #35 spot, the top edge rushers will be gone, and the top wide receivers will be gone.  The Jets need edge rusher and wide receiver, and if the Jets do in fact stay calm and focused, they must stick to the plan and get both players in the top 10.

At #35 and #38, the Jets will be in great shape to draft a potential starter at cornerback, safety and linebacker.  

This is the way the Jets will go in my opinion.  I don't care if Sauce or Kyle Hamilton is available at the #10 spot.  There will be solid players for them at the top of the second round, and they must stay focused and understand the strength of this years draft.  

great post!

IMO WR is the most important position for us right now. we cant go into the season with Mims as our 4th WR. and im against a trade. people bring up Diggs to Buffalo but they forget he was only making 14 mil a year. still to this day. any WR we trade for will be seeking around 25 mil a year. 

the biggest thing JD has to do is throw out the whole "worthy" crap and take who he wants. its been so long since we were good its hard to remember when we picked a guy like Mo at 30th if people were saying.... there are only 3-4 people "worthy" of the 30th pick in the draft.

• Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, Alka said:

Yeah, I think this is the way it plays out.  Douglas has been pretty logical in the draft and I think this is really the only logical thing to do.  Barring a trade changing the dynamic I simply don't see it going any other way.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, rangerous said:

i'd rather not see the jets use a top pick on oline but that's their call.  is becton coming back strong?  i think he is but i'm not the one making the decisions nor do i have a better view of the situation than douglas or saleh.

Jets are lucky the OTA's start before the draft. I agree I don't want to use #4 on an OT but if Becton looks bad in OTA's it would be negligent of JD to go into the season with that question mark at OT. 

• Upvote 1

I think I might be the only person who remembers when the Jets were stupid for trading up for Revis because they could have stayed put on gotten Ross.   Meanwhile Ross was gone like 5 picks before we would have selected.  You don't win by drafting "starters" you win by drafting special players.  Getting a guy that does what Lamarcus Joyner does and a starting edge doesn't get you sh*t unless that edge is a monster.  Revis + Nathan Shepard > Bryan Thomas + Dwight Lowery.  It doesn't mean that I am all for the corner, but you don't take the edge unless you like the edge.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think you can look at the Jets' Drafts over the last 10 years and see little or no strategy.   We can see it both ways.  In 2015 the Jets were terrible covering RBs and TEs, so they drafted Darron Lee.  He just was not very good. That whole draft was not good.  But loading up on the DL, year after year, etc., and then reaching for need, was not strategic. 

It is quite possible that Sauce at 4 is the best player the Jets can take at that spot that they can also use.  They obviously bet against that by spending $11mm/year on DJ Ward.  It is also possible that Ekwenu is the BPA at that spot, but yes, the Jets bet against that by paying Tomlinsoin $13mm/year.   So you would almost conclude that they are playing on drafting an EDGE at 4, which would be very strategic.  But if the first 4 picks are Hutchinson, Walker and Thib, then best BPA would be Sauce or Ekwenu, either of whom puts a capable starter on the bench, as opposed to adding a net capable starter.  If that is the case, someone is trading up for a QB, and you trade down.  

I think they could use another starting corner to make it difficult for offenses to just send a WR1 into the weakest link’s zone. Also unlike OT it doesn’t put a starter on the bench in nearly the same way (not the least of why is the team puts 3+ CBs on the field a bit commonly, vs. the nominal # of snaps they send a 3rd tackle into the huddle).

They could also pair a CB/OT selection with a trade (e.g. Hall, Becton, Fant) so they’d still net a hopeful starter in one form or another. Likely or not, it’s an option on paper.

I do agree wholeheartedly the pick should net an additional new player who’ll see the field a lot this year, if not an outright every-snap starter (not just one who might see the field for a meaningful # of snaps only if someone else gets injured).

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This draft stinks, the top of the draft stinks, the jets need to try to trade down if they can.

The most solid of the guys at the very top are rare 'non needs' for the jets.

The two players I see top four who are the most solid, clean prospects are Gardner and Ekonwu.

I'd be amazed if Douglas had the sheer balls to draft Ekonwu (or Neal)

Yeah I still think Douglas’s first choice is to trade down if he can get a decent offer, and maintain 4 top-40 picks this year plus add another high pick - another 1st in particular - next year, and not obsess over that first pick’s draft slot.

It seems likely (to me) that he’d rather have #4 turn into #15-25 plus an extra 1st rounder in ‘23.

I probably would, too; turning down such an offer is the same as trading it away to move up in a draft that isn’t super top-heavy.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I don't see many legit starting outside CB's who will be around in Rd. 2. Certainly not the likes of Ahmad Gardner. Gardner, Stingley, Booth, Elam and McDuffie will most likely all go in Rd. 1. Maybe one of them will slip to Rd. 2. Maybe even to our pick. But I wouldn't bet on it. If I'm the Jets I'm not looking for a nickel or slot CB. If you are talking about McCreary, Woolen, Taylor-Britt, Goodrich, Emerson- they are all 'solid' prospects- but I don't think you can rely on any of them to step in and start. Kind of hard to know what you are talking about if you don't actually mention any names. 

I'm sorry for not being very clear, but you actually make my point for me.  I meant to say 10 total cornerbacks/safeties that can start day #1.  You mention 6 cornerbacks that can go in round #1.  All possible starters.  The other 3 are safeties, and two cornerbacks, which you didn't mention.  At least 1 or 2 of those safeties, all good enough to start day #1, will be available at #35. Kyle Hamilton will be gone, but  Jaquan Brisker, Daxton Hill might be available.  The last is Kyler Gordon and Roger McCreary, who is projected to be picked at the end of round #1, or the beginning of round #2.  I saw where "NFLDraftBuzz" said that hey believe Roger McCreary, who you didn't mention, may be the 3rd best cornerback in the entire CB group, and a potential day #1 starter.

I agree with a lot of the previous posters. Strategically, we have 1 starting OT…Becton is a huge question mark.  If Fant gets hurt god forbid, up sh*tz creek, as the saying goes. The 4th pick is so obvious and logical, it must be OT.  Every good team has 3 competent OT. Draft one and let them fight it out. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Ok, thank you for giving me the Draft strategy for fat dummies version and I 100% agree neither of those would be wise picks. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Although I definitely believe that Douglas will be very eager to trade back and add 2023 draft picks as a part of the deal, but he needs a trade partner to do that. 

I think it will be interesting to see if a team wants to trade up and snag a QB early on.  If Carolina Panthers is one of those teams that feels they must get their QB, the Jets could trade the #4 pick for Carolina;s #6 pick, and try to get Carolina's 2023 2nd and 3rd round picks for the privilege of trading up.  I have to believe that other teams might look at the Jets #4 pick as the optimum pick to trade up with.  If other teams want to trade up, it could force the Panthers to make a deal.  At #6 and #10, the Jets could still get the 2 players they really want.  Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Ok, thank you for giving me the Draft strategy for fat dummies version and I 100% agree neither of those would be wise picks. 

Well, I know you make a joke here, but didn't one of the premier draft mock experts mentioned in another thread just mock the Jets getting both Gardner and Hamilton with the #4 and #10 picks?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think it will be interesting to see if a team wants to trade up and snag a QB early on.  If Carolina Panthers is one of those teams that feels they must get their QB, the Jets could trade the #4 pick for Carolina;s #6 pick, and try to get Carolina's 2023 2nd and 3rd round picks for the privilege of trading up.  I have to believe that other teams might look at the Jets #4 pick as the optimum pick to trade up with.  If other teams want to trade up, it could force the Panthers to make a deal.  At #6 and #10, the Jets could still get the 2 players they really want.  Just a thought.

I agree that the Panthers’ QB situation could put that #4 pick in play, especially if teams think the Giants might take a QB, too. Amazing that JD got second and fourth round picks from Carolina for Darnold, and their needs at the position could help the Jets yet again. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree that the Panthers’ QB situation could put that #4 pick in play, especially if teams think the Giants might take a QB, too. Amazing that JD got second and fourth round picks from Carolina for Darnold, and their needs at the position could help the Jets yet again. 

Forget about the Giants picking a QB, but any team that believes that Carolina will pick a QB with the #6 pick, will certainly call the Jets at #4 to stop the Panthers from picking the QB that they want.  The Panthers would then be forced to prevent other teams from jumping over them, and make a deal with the Jets.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

LB's I actually agree. There WILL be linebackers available in Rd. 2 who can step right in and contribute as starters- playing alongside Mosley. Christian Harris, Muma, Chenal, maybe even Dean slides to Rd. 2. I actually think only Lloyd is a lock to go in Rd. 1. He is an absolute monster. Most likely Lloyd and Dean. 

I don't think what you said about the Edge and WR position going early is unique thinking. Most of us will agree that the top 5-7 Edge rushers will go in Rd. 1 and the top 5-7 WRs will go in Rd. 1. Thats just how it works these days. However, both positions are pretty deep this year. Particularly Edge. Guys like Cam Thomas, Drake Jackson, Paschal, Enagbare, M.Sanders, and maybe even Mafe and Ebiketie will be available in Rd. 2. 

In the end, what I would say is that the Jets need to go best player on their board. Position of need and value of position is ALWAYS to be taken into account. But you go with top talent. That is always what edges out in the very top selections. If that happens to be an Edge like Thib.- I'm all for it, if it happens to be Sauce- good, if its Ekwonu or Neal- fine, if the Jets truly believe Hamilton is THAT unique of a talent (I personally don't think he is)- then yes draft him. But to take Edge and WR- just to address those needs b/c you think other needs can be addressed later is not really the best way to approach the draft-IMO. Just take the best player.   

Agree with BAP, but hopefully we do not just spread around all positions thus year in the draft just to do so. Jets badly need to improve Edge rushing and WR, so double dip at each position.