GVR: I'm an at or above average guard in the NFL.

21 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Van Roten absolutely is an average or above average NFL guard.

Most guards in the NFL aren't starters, though. He's a RG; per OverTheCap, there are 110 right guards currently signed to contracts. I'm comfortable saying he's within the top 55 RGs in the league

I don’t think he is a top 55 RG and certainly not a starter.  

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/science-says-stop-infecting-other-people-with-better-than-average-effect.html

A meta-analysis of a number of studies shows that people rate themselves as above average in creativity, intelligence, dependability, athleticism, honesty, friendless, and on and on. Provide people with a survey about almost any trait and the vast majority will rate themselves above average.

Yep.

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Van Roten absolutely is an average or above average NFL guard.

Most guards in the NFL aren't starters, though. He's a RG; per OverTheCap, there are 110 right guards currently signed to contracts. I'm comfortable saying he's within the top 55 RGs in the league

No chance whatsoever he didn’t mean “above average STARTING Guard”.  Which would then make that a false claim. 

He comes across as anything but humble, reasonable, or self-aware.  

• Upvote 2

and?  gvr held down the spot for two seasons. did he do as well as the team needed?  no but it's not like he was the only reason why they have had such a poor record over the past decade.  and, unlike a lot of jets players, he was pretty durable.  he's probably going to get cut.  it's not right to kick a guy when he's on the way out.

I don't think GVR being cut is as much of a lock as people want it to be.  In terms of depth on the OL, you can do a lot worse than Van Roten.  He's actually a guy who can probably hold up pretty well for a few games if need be.  It's when he's an every down guy for an extended period that he gets worn down and exposed.

• Upvote 3

Just now, AFJF said:

I don't think GVR being cut is as much of a lock as people want it to be.  In terms of depth on the OL, you can do a lot worse than Van Roten.  He's actually a guy who can probably hold up pretty well for a few games if need be.  It's when he's an every down guy for an extended period that he gets worn down and exposed.

Agree 100% as depth he is fine.. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yeah, I don't see him getting cut unless the Jets upgrade the interior depth by re-signing LDT or adding a mid-round prospect in the draft. His contract is fine for a backup, so no need to cut him unless someone else better comes along.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TinFoil said:

Jets resigned Dan Fenney that should be enough to tell GVR he’s worthless.

It would be completely depressing if Feeney and/or GVR were on the 53.  I would really like to see younger guys with upside and physical skills who are actually cheaper being developed.    It is a JD blind spot that does not get enough attention.  

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He played 2 years in the CFL and has really been a back up.

JD bringing him in to start was one of only handful of really bad decisions he made.  

He is a very bad NFL football player at this point.

None of this has anything to do with his comment where he accurately described his career.  Good players start, average players are back ups, above average players stay in the league for 8 years in various roles.  GVR is exactly that description.  If he was below and very bad, he wouldnt be in the NFL and he'd be just like the below average players who last 3 years.  He didnt say he was good, he didnt say he was a starter.  He said he was average to above average which by sheer volume is technically accurate, no matter what your thoughts are of his game, the NFL disagrees with you.   He's going on 8 years and 3 teams which is significantly higher than the actual average NFL career. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

None of this has anything to do with his comment where he accurately described his career.  Good players start, average players are back ups, above average players stay in the league for 8 years in various roles.  GVR is exactly that description.  If he was below and very bad, he wouldnt be in the NFL and he'd be just like the below average players who last 3 years.  He didnt say he was good, he didnt say he was a starter.  He said he was average to above average which by sheer volume is technically accurate, no matter what your thoughts are of his game, the NFL disagrees with you.   He's going on 8 years and 3 teams which is significantly higher than the actual average NFL career. 

So your position is, Joe Douglas in infallible?

He should not be on the team and just because Joe Douglas decided he should be doesn't make it right.

He may have been a capable G at some point in his career, just never on the Jets.

• WTF? 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

So your position is, Joe Douglas in infallible?

He should not be on the team and just because Joe Douglas decided he should be doesn't make it right.

He may have been a capable G at some point in his career, just never on the Jets.

What does JD have to do with this?  Did GVR mention him in his post?  Did I?  Nope.  Neither of us did, not once.   So again, none of this has anything to do with his comment or mine.  If your point is that just because JD has him on the roster, doesnt make him good, well cool, fine, he's not saying he's good.  He's saying he is average to above average, which he is because he is on his 3rd team, it's his 8th season, he could retire right now and by definition, his career was above average.  That isnt trivial, not sure why you're trying to spin this into a JD thingy, that would be a totally different conversation. 

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

What does JD have to do with this?  Did GVR mention him in his post?  Did I?  Nope.  Neither of us did, not once.   So again, none of this has anything to do with his comment or mine.  If your point is that just because JD has him on the roster, doesnt make him good, well cool, fine, he's not saying he's good.  He's saying he is average to above average, which he is because he is on his 3rd team, it's his 8th season, he could retire right now and by definition, his career was above average.  That isnt trivial, not sure why you're trying to spin this into a JD thingy, that would be a totally different conversation. 

Your assessment was he's an above average NFL player because he's on an NFL team.  Is that not your premise?  If that's not your premise then I clearly misunderstood.

He didn't say he's had an above average NFL "career" - for that I would agree is accurate.  That's not the quote I understood it to be.  he said he's an above average G (present)

17 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Dudes in what his 8th season?  Played 70+ games, started 50?  Yeah, that's average to above avere.ag  He's not a starter, nor did he say he was, that's a good player.  You got to remember, there are more backups then starters and the average dude is out of the league in 3 years.

The GVR hate is overblown.

Jets fans love players who are supposed to be great but are “above average” and hate players who are supposed to be average but are “average to above average.”

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/science-says-stop-infecting-other-people-with-better-than-average-effect.html

A meta-analysis of a number of studies shows that people rate themselves as above average in creativity, intelligence, dependability, athleticism, honesty, friendless, and on and on. Provide people with a survey about almost any trait and the vast majority will rate themselves above average.

The entire world can be explained by the fact that 15.5% of people are of above average intelligence and 65% of people think they are of above average intelligence.  Add Dunning-Krueger to that and, oh boy…

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

There is also substantial bias with fans based on the most recent performance.  Average means just that, AVERAGE.  He could have been > average for a year or two early in his career and sucked balls last year.  Fans only see last year,,,

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Your assessment was he's an above average NFL player because he's on an NFL team.  Is that not your premise?  If that's not your premise then I clearly misunderstood.

He didn't say he's had an above average NFL "career" - for that I would agree is accurate.  That's not the quote I understood it to be.  he said he's an above average G (present)

No.  I think I've clearly stated my premise but I guess I'll try it this way.

Right now, GVR is an average G in the NFL.  100%.  He has played in the NFL for 8 years.  He's on his 3rd team.   If the Jets need him to step in and start 3-5 games, he could do so and hold his own.  Yes, he'd probably get blown up on a play or 2 but that's why he's not a starter.  That's why he's not a good player.  And guess what, he's not saying he is and I'm not saying he is.  He's saying he's at or above, average  and I agree.  If GVR was cut tomorrow, he'd be signed before the start of the season by another NFL team. Now when you put all that together, I'd say his career is above average and he's currently, clearly, an average NFL guard. 

The good news is, hopefully, the Jets wont have to rely on GVR for much because JD has recognized this concern with GVR and he not only addressed it mid-season by signing LDT but he addressed it majorly this offseason by signing Tomlinson. 

• Upvote 1