Would trading for Metcalf or Brown be smart?

In no way shape or form should we trade for any of these players.  You dont let good, young players go.  When teams do let good, young players go, there is a reason for that.

Look how we offloaded a good, young safety in Jamal.

DK - headcase who struggles with drops and couldnt beat out tyler locket as a number one

AJ Brown - chronic knee and foot issues

Dont fall for this Joe D.  You pulled the wool over the seahawks eyes with Jamal.  Dont let these teams pull the wool over your eyes.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

They are a mix between great, young, and proven. 

You're going to be drafting hoping that whatever WR you pick ends up being like them. Now granted they can always end up better, but also worse so it's a risk. We're coming up on a crucial season with a 2nd year QB that can go in either direction. You take a swing on a great and proven player instead of gambling with a pick. If we had more talent and depth at the position right now it would be different.

Wilson had a league high 12% of his passes dropped, and had his top 2 WR's out to end the season. As of now we've lost more WR's than we've gained since the end of the season which is scary. Uzomah and Conklin can be really good, but we need to seal the WR position. Brown, Metcalf, Samuel, and McLaurin are great players who can give vital help to the team immediately. 

• Upvote 1

I am skeptical about trading for any wr. I would rather trust the draft process. I certainly wouldn't give a 1st up for Metcalf. I think the market has become overblown. Solid reviewers and lots of them, not all the money in one guy. Too risky.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JetHammer said:

I am skeptical about trading for any wr. I would rather trust the draft process. I certainly wouldn't give a 1st up for Metcalf. I think the market has become overblown. Solid reviewers and lots of them, not all the money in one guy. Too risky.

Good thing is, it won’t require a 1

34 minutes ago, DjHoldyHold said:

With DK Metcalf, and to a lesser extent AJ Brown trade rumors heating up, a lot of fans are pining for one of the two young receivers to help Wilson develop. The question is, would acquiring one of these guys be worthwhile? I say no. 

First off is Metcalf, who is coming into the final year of his contract. After seeing the mega deals Kirk, Adams, and Hill got this offseason, its safe to say DK is going to want a substantial contract. That much money, as well as draft assets is a lot to tie up into one player. I don't think Metcalf is worth that money and those assets for what we want. The Jets are looking for a true WR1, which Metcalf is not. He may make the highlight plays, but is still the secondary option behind Tyler Lockett who led Seattle in receiving yards. Metcalf is best used as a 2, who can stretch the field and make big plays and contested catches. He does not have an excellent route tree, but instead serves a role. He would certainly be an upgrade to our receiving corps, but not a substantial enough upgrade to warrant a big trade and contract.

Secondly, is AJ Brown. Brown is a stud, and a true WR1, but deals with injuries quite often, missing 5 games last year and 3 the year before. Brown is also looking for a new contract and should fetch roughly the same as Metcalf. Brown would also likely cost more than Metcalf in draft assets. When on the field, Brown is worth every bit of his trade and contract, but his unreliability is a massive concern, considering both Moore and Davis missed substantial time last season.

In short, Metcalf is not a true 1, and is best served as a high end #2, who will demand elite money and assets to trade for. AJ Brown is absolutely a #1, and a very good one when healthy, However, I don't trust him to be healthy with this Jets team, as nobody stays healthy.

I understand where you are coming from and yes, you raise some very good points.

In my opinion, you bring in an experienced WR to help out your young QB. There are some good or possibly very good WR coming out of Collège, however in most cases (Yes there are exceptions), they are NOT as productive year one as they become the following years.

I take Tyreek Hill for example, he exploded in year 2, 3 and so on.

I think that a veteran number one receiver, is almost a must at this point and I believe that JD and Coaching know that.

image.thumb.png.fd6d9b4b212e480d19f66561a6a3869e.png

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

In no way shape or form should we trade for any of these players.  You dont let good, young players go.  When teams do let good, young players go, there is a reason for that.

DK - headcase who struggles with drops and couldnt beat out tyler locket as a number one

Dont fall for this Joe D.  You pulled the wool over the seahawks eyes with Jamal.  Dont let these teams pull the wool over your eyes.

giphy.webp

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The NFL is riddled with examples of teams that traded good to great young players who went on to stay great or become even better on their next teams.

Curtis Martin would be one example here.  So would Mawae.

Drew Brees.  Brett Favre.  DeAndre Hopkins.  Hell, just look at this year with Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill.  Happens more than often enough to say it's not always a hidden red flag.  Sometimes teams just don't see value the same way or have cap issues that cause them to have to move on.  

And your take that DK isn't a #1 WR is impaired.  He and Lockett are as clearly 1A/1B as any pair of WRs in the league.  Metcalf's numbers in his first 3 years are top-15 in the entire league by any measure - probably top-10.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2081641582_giphy(18).gif.7dd28ad459a0f75dedb7116b08db2a1f.gif

15 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Only a complete headcase would prefer a Garrett Wilson, and let's say a developmental TE, over D.K. Metcalf, or an A.J. Brown.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, DjHoldyHold said:

With DK Metcalf, and to a lesser extent AJ Brown trade rumors heating up, a lot of fans are pining for one of the two young receivers to help Wilson develop. The question is, would acquiring one of these guys be worthwhile? I say no. 

First off is Metcalf, who is coming into the final year of his contract. After seeing the mega deals Kirk, Adams, and Hill got this offseason, its safe to say DK is going to want a substantial contract. That much money, as well as draft assets is a lot to tie up into one player. I don't think Metcalf is worth that money and those assets for what we want. The Jets are looking for a true WR1, which Metcalf is not. He may make the highlight plays, but is still the secondary option behind Tyler Lockett who led Seattle in receiving yards. Metcalf is best used as a 2, who can stretch the field and make big plays and contested catches. He does not have an excellent route tree, but instead serves a role. He would certainly be an upgrade to our receiving corps, but not a substantial enough upgrade to warrant a big trade and contract.

Secondly, is AJ Brown. Brown is a stud, and a true WR1, but deals with injuries quite often, missing 5 games last year and 3 the year before. Brown is also looking for a new contract and should fetch roughly the same as Metcalf. Brown would also likely cost more than Metcalf in draft assets. When on the field, Brown is worth every bit of his trade and contract, but his unreliability is a massive concern, considering both Moore and Davis missed substantial time last season.

In short, Metcalf is not a true 1, and is best served as a high end #2, who will demand elite money and assets to trade for. AJ Brown is absolutely a #1, and a very good one when healthy, However, I don't trust him to be healthy with this Jets team, as nobody stays healthy.

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That cap space brah

wolf of wall street omg GIF

Cap is a myth.... easily.... very easily manipulated when desired. 

a DK or AJ easily best WR we would have in years. and isn't that what you want to surround Zach with? or you prefer the overpaid Corey Davis? 

not @ you barry. your response is almost perfect

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JetHammer said:

What player at #10, are you so sold on, that you would turn down a trade for Metcalf. Who.

• Post of the Week 1

Some Jets fans will always find a way to convince themselves they don't want nice things.

This offense needs a difference maker, period.  Metcalf and Brown are both young and fit the bill.  Enough with the obsessing over cap space and draft picks.  Get it done.  Get some proven talent in here to win some football games.  It's been too long.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Whether we trade for one of these players depends upon what JD thinks he can get in the draft.

If he thinks he can draft a WR1 at 4 or 10, or even 4 AND 10, that is better than trading for one of these WRs.

But if he does not think he can, then he needs to make a trade.  

A team like the Seahawks or Redskins is not trading FOR a WR, because they don’t have a QB.  That is what makes the Dolphins trade for Hill strange, unless they thought they were going to get another QB.  Brady is a FA next year I think.  

With Wilson drafted 2 and on his rookie deal, the Jets need to capitalize on that.  Unfortunately, they will double and triple down on Wilson.  If Wilson is not good, The lets will not recover until 2030. 

2 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Some Jets fans will always find a way to convince themselves they don't want nice things.

This offense needs a difference maker, period.  Metcalf and Brown are both young and fit the bill.  Enough with the obsessing over cap space and draft picks.  Get it done.  Get some proven talent in here to win some football games.  It's been too long.

Some people here, have a torture complex. I swear.

46 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Douglas knows he needs to show something tangible this year (wins) which is why he’s trying so hard to trade for a WR.

he told me this himself 

1 minute ago, GangGreened said:

Douglas knows he needs to show something tangible this year (wins) which is why he’s trying so hard to trade for a WR.

he told me this himself 

I'm surprised you didn't hear it from his barber.

Oh wait...

Joe Douglas' long-haul plan for Jets set - New York Daily News

• Haha 2

I'm not buying that 12.7% stat.  Catchable passes?  Is it just that Zach Wilson only threw 24 catchable balls all year?  Cause I remember reading PFF saying that Bortles had 8.4% dropped in 2018 and he was by far the worst. they charted   In late December they were touting Herbert as leading in that stat.  They were also saying that it was a QB driven stat, which might explain how Darnold ends up on that list every year.

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

They do want nice things

They just dont want to pay what nice things cost.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

It depends on what they’re asking for either. Obviously both would be a huge improvement to the team but not at the expense of getting other needed players. This current team is miles away from a one player fix. 

Honestly, this just isn't true anymore.

Let's look -

On offense they have NFL level, competitive players at every position other than #1WR.  They really are that one position away.  They can certainly upgrade at TE, RB.  But both positions now have legitimate NFL talent.

On defense .  More holes here but not nearly as much as we might think.  You def. need two LB's, a FS and #1 Edge.

Yes, they still need better depth..

But this team is NOT miles away. It's actually pretty close.  

Land a top WR, draft an edge at 4...and LB's and a safety can be filled in in FA post draft.

1 hour ago, genot said:

What player at #10, are you so sold on, that you would turn down a trade for Metcalf. Who.

I don't know, one of the edges,more help on the online, Gardner if he is there. Who knows., but I am no expert and have not been studying them all year.  Just seems rich to me. Is Metcalf a number 1 receiver? Do we even need a No1, should it not just be a balanced group

2 hours ago, DjHoldyHold said:

I don't think Metcalf is worth that money and those assets for what we want. The Jets are looking for a true WR1, which Metcalf is not. He may make the highlight plays, but

I don't know that DK is a masterful route runner, but I'm not sure if Gronk is either. What I am sure of is that both are physical freaks, and while they may to an extent be products of their physical gifts they have them regardless. DK deep with EM doing his sick ankle breaking things everywhere else has to make ZW wet. The TEs, RBs, and other WRs on the field would be open regularly as teams scheme to stop DK deep, and EM from abusing his guy(s).. I generally don't like to open up for big contracts, but if his personality isn't toxic he's a 24 year old beast. Whose contract is offset by the QB not having a huge contract yet. His presence opens things up a lot for everyone in both the pass and run game.   

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly, this just isn't true anymore.

Let's look -

On offense they have NFL level, competitive players at every position other than #1WR.  They really are that one position away.  They can certainly upgrade at TE, RB.  But both positions now have legitimate NFL talent.

On defense .  More holes here but not nearly as much as we might think.  You def. need two LB's, a FS and #1 Edge.

Yes, they still need better depth..

But this team is NOT miles away. It's actually pretty close.  

Land a top WR, draft an edge at 4...and LB's and a safety can be filled in in FA post draft.

You just mentioned 4 players of need plus depth that’s not very close 

24 minutes ago, JetHammer said:

I don't know, one of the edges,more help on the online, Gardner if he is there. Who knows., but I am no expert and have not been studying them all year.  Just seems rich to me. Is Metcalf a number 1 receiver? Do we even need a No1, should it not just be a balanced group

We have a young QB. When a player of Metcalfs caliber becomes available. You jump at that chance. Jest the way the Bills did, when they traded for Diggs. Would Josh Allen have become the QB, he is, if they let the chance to get Diggs pass them by. Any one of the players teams draft has a chance of busting, or not being as productive a player when they get to the NFL. Metcalf is young, and has been very productive his first three years. More productive than Stephon Diggs, I might add. I'm talking about Diggs production, at the time the Bills traded for him.