Would trading for Metcalf or Brown be smart?

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

In no way shape or form should we trade for any of these players.  You dont let good, young players go.  When teams do let good, young players go, there is a reason for that.

Look how we offloaded a good, young safety in Jamal.

DK - headcase who struggles with drops and couldnt beat out tyler locket as a number one

AJ Brown - chronic knee and foot issues

Dont fall for this Joe D.  You pulled the wool over the seahawks eyes with Jamal.  Dont let these teams pull the wool over your eyes.

You are overthinking.

The is the second thread I've seen a post like this from you. Seattle needs to rebuild and fill many positions. They won't be able to do that effectively if they have to pay the huge salary that this player will command. Look around the NFL. This kind of thing is commonplace. It is, quite simply, dollars and sense.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

You are overthinking.

The is the second thread I've seen a post like this from you. Seattle needs to rebuild and fill many positions. They won't be able to do that effectively if they have to pay the huge salary that this player will command. Look around the NFL. This kind of thing is commonplace. It is, quite simply, dollars and sense.

This is wrong.  If you are rebuildng, this is the exact kind of player you pay.  They wont have to pay a qb for 4 years.  You lock up metcalf so the rookie qb has a wr to grow with.

In what rebuild do you trade off young players?  Thats a horrible idea.  Unless they have red flags of course(just like Jamal Adams).  

You see the bears offloading Khalil Mack etc.  Those are the type of guys you trade when you are rebuilding.  Not young guys.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Whether we trade for one of these players depends upon what JD thinks he can get in the draft.

If he thinks he can draft a WR1 at 4 or 10, or even 4 AND 10, that is better than trading for one of these WRs.

But if he does not think he can, then he needs to make a trade.  

A team like the Seahawks or Redskins is not trading FOR a WR, because they don’t have a QB.  That is what makes the Dolphins trade for Hill strange, unless they thought they were going to get another QB.  Brady is a FA next year I think.  

With Wilson drafted 2 and on his rookie deal, the Jets need to capitalize on that.  Unfortunately, they will double and triple down on Wilson.  If Wilson is not good, The lets will not recover until 2030. 

The vet is more of a sure thing, but you pay for that. Any of these names getting thrown around will average more per year than what pick #10 will earn on an entire four year contract. 

I disagree that surrounding Wilson with weapons hurts the team if he fails to develop. I think that, like the Colts/Broncos/Browns, they’d just be in a better position to attract a veteran QB should that need arise. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I understand the desire to trade for a WR rather than play the draft lottery for one, but  doesn't

1) Metcalf's long midseason swoon (which continued after Wilson returned from his injury) and

2) Brown's injury history (constant knee and foot issues - he missed 4 games in each of the last two seasons)

concern anyone?  

1) meh, not too much 

2) yes 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't really know what universe you're in where DK Metcalf isn't a "#1 receiver." In 2020, with a healthy Russell Wilson, he was one of three receivers with 1300+ yards and 10+ touchdowns. He's an explosive, freaky athletic who has been proven to be productive. Oh, and he's 24 and best friends with our current most promising receiver. 

I’m confused.

isn’t AJ Brown besties with Moore?

but agree with you completely on Metcalf 

33 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I understand the desire to trade for a WR rather than play the draft lottery for one, but  doesn't

1) Metcalf's long midseason swoon (which continued after Wilson returned from his injury) and

2) Brown's injury history (constant knee and foot issues - he missed 4 games in each of the last two seasons)

concern anyone?  

I'd take Metcalf for business deep ball ability alone. I dint think he is a great wr but wilson was not very good last yr. 

59 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is wrong.  If you are rebuildng, this is the exact kind of player you pay.  They wont have to pay a qb for 4 years.  You lock up metcalf so the rookie qb has a wr to grow with.

In what rebuild do you trade off young players?  Thats a horrible idea.  Unless they have red flags of course(just like Jamal Adams).  

You see the bears offloading Khalil Mack etc.  Those are the type of guys you trade when you are rebuilding.  Not young guys.

Who is going to throw the ball to him in Seattle? If they are not fortunate enough to draft a franchise QB, they will not be able to get one. Even if they do draft one, in most cases it will take at least 3 years for development. The alternative is to trade for one or get one in FA, but they will have priced themselves out of that market. That's why Wilson is no longer their QB. 

41 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

concern anyone?  

You can find a reason not to trade for a lot of players. Character.  Problems in the past with the law. Injury issues. Etc, etc. Sooner or later you have to swallow your concerns, and go for it. 

53 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

concern anyone?  

If these 2 players are available, these are these exact reasons why.

Stay away Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, DjHoldyHold said:

With DK Metcalf, and to a lesser extent AJ Brown trade rumors heating up, a lot of fans are pining for one of the two young receivers to help Wilson develop. The question is, would acquiring one of these guys be worthwhile? I say no. 

First off is Metcalf, who is coming into the final year of his contract. After seeing the mega deals Kirk, Adams, and Hill got this offseason, its safe to say DK is going to want a substantial contract. That much money, as well as draft assets is a lot to tie up into one player. I don't think Metcalf is worth that money and those assets for what we want. The Jets are looking for a true WR1, which Metcalf is not. He may make the highlight plays, but is still the secondary option behind Tyler Lockett who led Seattle in receiving yards. Metcalf is best used as a 2, who can stretch the field and make big plays and contested catches. He does not have an excellent route tree, but instead serves a role. He would certainly be an upgrade to our receiving corps, but not a substantial enough upgrade to warrant a big trade and contract.

Secondly, is AJ Brown. Brown is a stud, and a true WR1, but deals with injuries quite often, missing 5 games last year and 3 the year before. Brown is also looking for a new contract and should fetch roughly the same as Metcalf. Brown would also likely cost more than Metcalf in draft assets. When on the field, Brown is worth every bit of his trade and contract, but his unreliability is a massive concern, considering both Moore and Davis missed substantial time last season.

In short, Metcalf is not a true 1, and is best served as a high end #2, who will demand elite money and assets to trade for. AJ Brown is absolutely a #1, and a very good one when healthy, However, I don't trust him to be healthy with this Jets team, as nobody stays healthy.

The thing is. What is money in the NFL? 

Seriously though. The cap goes up every year, the Jets have a young QB under a rookie contract for the next 3 years and they have plenty of cap flexibility. WR contracts will only go up- so no matter what, if you want a proven WR you will have to pay up. The idea of trading for a 24yr old stud WR like DK, even if he is not a 'true' #1 WR and paying him around 25mil a year is really not that bad. It's todays NFL. I think he would actually fit in perfectly well with Zach's deep ball abilities and pair really nicely with Moore, who is more of a skilled, speedy route runner underneath. If the guy ends up being super productive a playmaker and a dangerous weapon, does it really matter if he is a 'TRUE #1 WR'. If the Jets got DK he would immediately take away the opposing teams #1 CB (opening up Moore and Davis) and most likely beat him.

And before you say- just draft a WR. Well, not so easy. You never, ever, ever know what you are getting. Could be a guy who takes 2-3 years to develop. Could be a guy with a lower ceiling than you expected. Could be a guy who can't stay on the field. Could be a complete bust. And guess what...you will have to pad him eventually too. If you think you will get a stud WR in the draft and hold on to him for the duration of his rookie deal with no 'issues' you have another thing coming. DK has been in the league for 3 years. He want a new deal or he wants out. It's not a coincidence that he is unsigned and 'available' for trade. Good players cost money.   

17 hours ago, tfine said:

It’s amazing to me how fans won’t want to pay a proven star WR, but are ok with potentially wasting a number 1 pick on a WR from a college team…that will probably bust in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Because that’s where WR1s usually come from

The jets passed on both Metcalf and Cooks who are both now on the trading block.  Ok so we didn’t have a 2nd the year DK came out of college fair enough but we easily could have flipped Leo for a 2nd and gotten DK instead of waiting to the last possible second to flip him for less.  The Cooks thing is less forgivable. Idzik passed on Cooks for a safety

i think unless there's a lot of optimism that this team is going to turn it around this season then no.  these guys are all one year rentals then they have to be re-signed at a huge contract bump.  i suppose they could negotiate a new deal before the trade so there's some certainty going forward.  but if they don't do that then no.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, rangerous said:

i think unless there's a lot of optimism that this team is going to turn it around this season then no.  these guys are all one year rentals then they have to be re-signed at a huge contract bump.  i suppose they could negotiate a new deal before the trade so there's some certainty going forward.  but if they don't do that then no.

Sign Cole Beasley to a cheap 1 year deal and draft a WR.  Keep the picks

1 hour ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Sign Cole Beasley to a cheap 1 year deal and draft a WR.  Keep the picks

what does beasley bring that they don't already have in moore and berrios?  beasley is a nice possession type receiver but he's never going to scare the other team into thinking he's a deep threat.

On 4/4/2022 at 9:53 PM, genot said:

We have a young QB. When a player of Metcalfs caliber becomes available. You jump at that chance. Jest the way the Bills did, when they traded for Diggs. Would Josh Allen have become the QB, he is, if they let the chance to get Diggs pass them by. Any one of the players teams draft has a chance of busting, or not being as productive a player when they get to the NFL. Metcalf is young, and has been very productive his first three years. More productive than Stephon Diggs, I might add. I'm talking about Diggs production, at the time the Bills traded for him.

Yeah it is a good point regarding diggs production, Although he a thielen were my favourite combo at the time. Can Allen's rise be all down to diggs though? They strengthened the whole group when Allen was drafted  with Beasley, diggs and I am sure there was someone else. Maybe Metcalf is the missing piece, I am not sure he is though

On 4/6/2022 at 12:28 PM, rangerous said:

what does beasley bring that they don't already have in moore and berrios?  beasley is a nice possession type receiver but he's never going to scare the other team into thinking he's a deep threat.

Beasley is better than Berrios.  Stop

we’d essentially be trading Crowder for Beasley and getting the better player

1 minute ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Beasley is better than Berrios.  Stop

we’d essentially be trading Crowder for Beasley and getting the better player

Berrios is looking like he's gonna have a similar trajectory to Beasley.

Their numbers in the 2nd and 3rd years of their careers are eerily similar.

2 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

Berrios is looking like he's gonna have a similar trajectory to Beasley.

Their numbers in the 2nd and 3rd years of their careers are eerily similar.

Even if you don’t think Beasley is better than berrios(he is) we absolutely need depth at WR.  I’m sick of going into Octobers of football seasons with trash like Chaz Schilens and Josh Malone as our WR1

On 4/5/2022 at 7:12 PM, rangerous said:

Two things..

1) I believe the Jets do have optimism that there's a lot of growth this year.

2) There is zero chance they trade a first round pick (or the two 2's) for any player without having a long term contract already locked in.  (Just like they did with Hill)

• Upvote 1