Eagles trade their two first rd picks to New Orleans

27 minutes ago, Maxman said:

They want a QB.  I would have said, sure 16 and 19 for # 4 if you throw in next years first.

But they don't have one. So now I would say 16 and 19 for # 10 and a 2nd rounder next year.

OR you take on Michael Thomas or Lattimore and their respective contracts in addition to the 2x1st rounders in exchange for #4

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Interesting...Maybe the Jets need to trade two 1's for DK/AJ or a. 1 and a 2....so now they trade those and keep a first and second.

I would say then trade 19 for DK.... straight up... No additional capital.

32 minutes ago, derp said:

Has to be for a move up, right? Jeremiah mentioned the Giants at 5 but 16+19 is enough to get to 4 too. Either way should be another shake up and bet they make a move soon.

Could be they want one of the QBs and want to get up high enough to get the one they want and not have the Panthers at 6 take the QB they want.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Unless they have another move up their sleeve here.

What move is likely to prevent them from sucking in 2022? Unless you're clearly a perennial power set at QB trading away future firsts is really dumb. Even the Seahawks, who thought they'd be an obvious playoff team, ended up giving us a top ten pick.

I might be wrong about this but I don't think we play the Eagles for another 4 years.  By that time, all these draft picks will have been made and they'll probably be a really good team.  Us even having a chance to beat them for the first time ever is probably not even a consideration until at least another a decade from now.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Saints acquired the No. 16 pick, No. 19 pick, and a sixth-round pick from the Eagles in exchange for the No. 18 pick, a third-round pick, a seventh-round pick, a 2023 first-round pick, and a 2024 second-round pick.

It's a messy deal, but the trade boils down to the Saints buying a first-round pick this year at the cost a third-round pick in the upcoming draft plus future first and second-round selections. This isn't the first time the Eagles have acquired future selections at a discount as they got one of their three first-round picks this year by letting the Dolphins move up in the 2021 NFL Draft. The move also fits the Saints' history of being impatient with the draft picks they have. It's possible that the Saints are positioning themselves for a run at quarterback, though they may also see their roster as a few standout rookies away from being atop the NFC. Either way, Eagles GM Howie Roseman gets to continue stockpiling future draft capital while Mickey Loomis and the Saints are betting on their talent evaluators finding high-impact rookies once again. 

• Upvote 1

This thread title is kind of misleading 

it makes it sound like the Eagles traded their whole first round away. 

the Eagles have traded two OF their three first round picks, and got one back from the Saints this year and one next year 

in other words they had 3 first round picks this year now they have 2 first round picks this year and 2 next year, at the cost of a third rounder from NO. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

Saints fans:

Same but I have to think they’re going to use those two picks to move up for a QB. This makes me sad.

Well we know we aren’t going to have the ammo to get one next year now. Probably not in 2024 either. We’re either drafting a QB this year…. or we really believe in Jameis or Book for the future.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

If there is a trade up they are not taking Pickett... It will be WIllis

Willis makes more sense to me conceptually as a trade up option, but I think Willis' ceiling is 2 and Pickett's was probably 6 before this trade. If they're going to move up now and it's for Willis, a team like Atlanta could pretty easily leapfrog them or Detroit could just take him. But if they get up to 4 or 5 they probably secure Pickett. Would be weird to pre-draft move up to 4 or 5 for Willis.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Eagles have traded two OF their three first round picks, and got one back from the Saints this year and one next year 

in other words they had 3 first round picks this year now they have 2 first round picks this year and 2 next year, at the cost of a third rounder from NO. 

Damn, you're right, they had 3 first rounders and still have 2 even after this trade. That's ******* bonkers.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

and an extra 2nd rounder the year after that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BeaconJet said:

Gotta figure NO is prepping to package those 1st rounders and move up?  Get on the phone JD.

I’d think that if they wanted to move all the way up to #4, they could’ve offered the same -or similar- package to the Jets for it. I imagine JD would’ve listened. Two firsts next year, two seconds the following year, that’s the kinda thing he likes. 

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, derp said:

I doubt it's to 5 because of the 2023 capital thing. Depends who they think they're up against for the player, too. If they want Pickett for example they really just need to get ahead of Carolina who has like no ammo to move up, but if it's for Willis they'd need to be pretty comfortable that the Falcons couldn't (or wouldn't want to) get ahead of them. It would be odd to make the move now, but this was also an odd move to make now and clearly signals something's up.

They’re in a weird spot because they can justify riding with a healthy Jameis for a year, which probably means they don’t have to even consider Mayfield. Maybe they just love the idea of Malik Willis? I keep reading that he’s killing it in the interview process, so it stands to reason one of these coaches catches feelings for him.

32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

We’re going to eventually get to a point where some team eventually ends up having six first round picks and it won’t even be a thing. Teams jumping on that Rams model.

Thing about this trade is if the Saints do well this year, they will actually come out ahead in terms of value when it's all done.  

Also, while they may not NEED a QB right now, they now have no assets to draft one next year and probably still won't have the cap room to sign a top FA if they even exist.  So I do think this smells like a staging move to get up for Willis because I can't imagine there was a second player in the teens area they needed so badly.  More likely PHI really didn't want to pick three guys in the middle of the 1st this year and was looking to punt one pick to next year in case THEY need to draft a QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They’re in a weird spot because they can justify riding with a healthy Jameis for a year, which probably means they don’t have to even consider Mayfield. Maybe they just love the idea of Malik Willis? I keep reading that he’s killing it in the interview process, so it stands to reason one of these coaches catches feelings for him.

They have a pretty good team too so they’re very much in that “if you love a guy and don’t have a long term answer you go get him” spot. Indianapolis has just kind of mucked around in QB purgatory with a good team for a while, if there’s a guy New Orleans likes I respect them shooting their shot. Let him dump off to Kamara as he develops.

I’m sure a team loves Willis, probably several. Still kind of expect Pittsburgh to make a bold move for him.

Maybe it’s not for a QB or a move up though. They’ve got a tackle need as well and could use WR help.

The timing is just very odd if they’re not moving up with those picks. Why tell teams you’re going to have those picks unless you’re planning to move them? Just do it draft day so teams can’t plan for it.

And if you’re moving up, it’s for a team that wants picks this year too. Otherwise they would’ve just taken the deal they gave Philly for the picks. Which smacks of a team that wants a pick to trade in a separate deal…like the Jets for a wide receiver?

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

They want a QB.  I would have said, sure 16 and 19 for # 4 if you throw in next years first.

But they don't have one. So now I would say 16 and 19 for # 10 and a 2nd rounder next year.

I don't know that such trades are going to happen with this class. Honestly I'd happily take 16 and 19 straight up if that was the best offer we could get. I was thinking - with a draft as non-top-heavy as this one - we might've had to trade down to 15-ish just to get an extra 1st next year. 

More like years when the draft isn't top-heavy (in particular, top-heavy with QBs):

• 2019 (Pittsburgh dropping from 10 to 20 for a lower-half 2nd and lower-half 3rd). 
  • 2014 when Buffalo traded w/Cleveland, up to #4 for Sammy Watkins for pick #9 and a 1st+4th a year later. Then it cost Cle only a 5th to move from 9 back up to 8 (in theory, should've been more like a 4th). 
  • 2013 Miami moved up from #12 to #3 and it only cost them that year's 2nd rounder.
  • 2013 Rams moved up from #16 to #8 and only cost a mid-2nd & mid-3rd & mid-7th and Buffalo to give back their own 3rd:
    • 1(8) + 3(71) for 1(16) + 2(46) + 3(78) + 7(222)
    • Basically they moved down from 8 to 16 and got a mid-2nd round pick
  • 2012 Browns moved from 4 to 3 (theoretically 400 pts) for just 4th+5th+7th rounders (~100 pts)
  • 2012 again, Vikings moved from 7 to 5 (theoretically 200 pts) for just their 4th (~100 pts)

Never know until it happens, but based on how others have graded the top prospects this year, it looks more like the top of the 2022 draft will be much more like the above bullet point examples than 2018 (Maccagnan gave up ~1200 pts for 600 pts; Buffalo also giving up more than chart value by a few hundred, too) or 2016 or 2021. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, derp said:

Willis makes more sense to me conceptually as a trade up option, but I think Willis' ceiling is 2 and Pickett's was probably 6 before this trade. If they're going to move up now and it's for Willis, a team like Atlanta could pretty easily leapfrog them or Detroit could just take him. But if they get up to 4 or 5 they probably secure Pickett. Would be weird to pre-draft move up to 4 or 5 for Willis.

Doesn't mean they trade now... They wait till draft day

The way I read this is that the Saints are rather enamored with this years draft class, and the Eagles are not.  Eagles are basically unloading their draft capital value out of this draft (and getting some change).

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Strange move for both teams.

Maybe the Saints are trying get draft capital for DK or AJ?

Roseman (Eagles) want to spread out the draft pick money.  Having all those guys come up for renewal at the same time can be tough contractually.  I like it a lot for the iggles. Don’t get the Saints part.

And I don’t want the Jets to trade back at 4. I like the Edges in this draft. Jets need difference makers, not more “solid” guys.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And the whole treason the Eagles can do a of this maneuvering?   Because they did not beat Washington two years ago and were picking 6 instead of 10 and were able to trade with Miami for a future 1st rounder.  They ended up with Devonta Smith and an extra 1st rounder.

The f'ing brainiacs of the national media just EVISCERATED Doug Peterson for pulling Hurts in a game they were losing and was totally meaningless for them.  They killed Peterson and the Eagles and that loss set them up for many of these future moves.

Now do these clueless sound bite dummies such as Mina Kimes and others even remember what happened a year or so ago and what they said?  No.

Idiots.

Basically why they don't matter; only time will tell.