Eagles trade their two first rd picks to New Orleans

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And the whole treason the Eagles can do a of this maneuvering?   Because they did not beat Washington two years ago and were picking 6 instead of 10 and were able to trade with Miami for a future 1st rounder.  They ended up with Devonta Smith and an extra 1st rounder.

The f'ing brainiacs of the national media just EVISCERATED Doug Peterson for pulling Hurts in a game they were losing and was totally meaningless for them.  They killed Peterson and the Eagles and that loss set them up for many of these future moves.

Now do these clueless sound bite dummies such as Mina Kimes and others even remember what happened a year or so ago and what they said?  No.

Idiots.

It's awful for the league to have teams not competing.  If nothing else, gambling is the lifeblood of the sport.  But as a fan you can root for your team to lose to improve the team's chances in the long-run.  Yet there are people on here every year saying they want to win these meaningless games. 

25 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Doesn't mean they trade now... They wait till draft day

Perhaps they wait and they’re comfortable making the two picks, but again you don’t make that trade unless the team you’re trading with prefers a first round pick this year to a first round pick next year - and there doesn’t describe all teams.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

They want a QB.  I would have said, sure 16 and 19 for # 4 if you throw in next years first.

But they don't have one. So now I would say 16 and 19 for # 10 and a 2nd rounder next year.

2023 2nd & 2024 1st... then you have a deal

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Has to be ammo to move up further on draft day, right? If you just wanted 16 & 19 you'd wait until you were on the clock at 16 to be sure your guys were there. But if you needed ammo to move up, you don't want to have to deal with a third team when you're on the clock - too complex.

If your a GM at 4 or 5 or 6 or wherever, you have to think you have them over a barrel right.  You just basically showed your hand to everyone, obviously assuming it's ammunition to move up.  

I get a call on draft day, I have to assume they are concerned the team behind me is taking their guy.

They almost already have to have a trade in place.  Say we or the Giants said you pick up a second mid round first plus xyz and I'll trade my pick to you.  Right?

This makes no sense if nothing is already agreed to.

• Upvote 2

This smells a bit like the Macc trade-up of 2018 to get a QB when he didn't even know what QB would be there at #3.  That infamous St. Patrick's Day trade was done once the Jets determined that they were fine with any of their Top 3 QBs on the board.  It just happened to be Darnold.

This trade is similar, but different.  The Saints are not in a position to do any kind of "game theory" about who might be on the board as it relates to QB at #16 so IMO they have one of two things in mind:

1.  They're really confident in their scouting job particularly as it relates to Draft tiers of players and have a solid list of 19 players from which they've now guaranteed themselves getting two.

2. (this is more probable) They already have a trade in the works with that #16 and #19 to get way up the Board for a QB.  IMO it would have to be with either the Lions, Texans or Jets as most people seem to think that Hutchinson is the one player close to being a sure thing taken at #1.  After that, nobody really knows how picks 2, 3 and 4 are going to unfold.  There's also some talk the Lions could go QB at #2 if Hutchinson is gone as they may not be married to Jared Goff longterm.

Bottom line - Even the Saints don't trade up to picks like 16 and 19 without a plan.  Could they be the ones about to trade for somebody like DK Metcalf?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bungaman said:

If JD does get the opportunity to move back, I'd hope he picks up a #1 next year or a couple of future #2's. Seems having that second one in the first round - or multiple 2's - opens new doors year after year, if you can pull it off. It would be especially nice in this draft, which seems to be deep, but not that special through the top 5-10 picks.

I'd like that too. But he needs to win now or he may not be here to see the benefits of those future picks. I wouldn't count on that happening.  

• Upvote 1

Are the Saints trying to unload the contract of Michael Thomas?

If you are JD would you take the #16, #19 and Michael Thomas for the #4 and #69?

Saints unload a contract and come up for a QB.

Jets take on a contract, get an expensive and risky (injury) WR1 along with #16 and #19.

41 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Roseman (Eagles) want to spread out the draft pick money.  Having all those guys come up for renewal at the same time can be tough contractually.  I like it a lot for the iggles. Don’t get the Saints part.

And I don’t want the Jets to trade back at 4. I like the Edges in this draft. Jets need difference makers, not more “solid” guys.

I agree with the above. ANd I hope the jets do too.  JD:  Keep 4.  Use 10 to move down and don't be shy about using draft capital to move around and draft where YOU want to.  You have the draft capital to do so.  That doesn't happen often.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Are the Saints trying to unload the contract of Michael Thomas?

If you are JD would you take the #16, #19 and Michael Thomas for the #4 and #69?

Saints unload a contract and come up for a QB.

Jets take on a contract, get an expensive and risky (injury) WR1 along with #16 and #19.

They can't or they go backwards 25 million thus year, according to over the cap.  I don't know his breakdown but all the signing and restructure money gets accelerated to this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I’d think that if they wanted to move all the way up to #4, they could’ve offered the same -or similar- package to the Jets for it. I imagine JD would’ve listened. Two firsts next year, two seconds the following year, that’s the kinda thing he likes. 

Saints gearing up to trade for Becton!

JD wins again! ?

• Haha 1

The Eagles are moving out of this draft b/c they think there isn't a qb worth a 1st round grade.  I doubt the Saints are that different in their assessment.

Instead I think they think there is value in that 15-25 range, which makes sense.  This draft is deep in mid to late 1st round talent (just not the top 10 stuff).  So they are banking on getting their rebuild kickstarted.

From a draft value perspective, this trade was super close, so its not like anyone got screwed here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

Im still trying to figure out how anyone sees us fitting into this equation at all.

Calculate Figure It Out GIF

Five represents the Giants pick……Value “X” is obviously Roman Numeral for 10

Find x is NO in search of JD. NO trades both picks for Jets #10.

It’s so simple even a Jets fan could understand it. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

sh*t is about to get crazy! I don’t think for Willis right? He seems too raw to trade all those picks for to move up. Jimmy G trade maybe? That doesn’t seem right either because I don’t think he’s worth a 1st. What else? Brady?? I’m not quite sure why they did this, but it sure does make things interesting 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Eagles are doing this for one reason. Insurance that they have the 2023 draft capital to replace Hurts if they are not happy with him after year 3.  That's the reason. The only reason.  It's not because this draft sucks.  It's because they may decide to move on.  This is a BIG year for Hurts.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

sh*t is about to get crazy! I don’t think for Willis right? He seems too raw to trade all those picks for to move up. Jimmy G trade maybe? That doesn’t seem right either because I don’t think he’s worth a 1st. What else? Brady?? I’m not quite sure why they did this, but it sure does make things interesting 

Has to be for Willis. I could see NOLA loving his skillset.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hael said:

The Eagles are moving out of this draft b/c they think there isn't a qb worth a 1st round grade. 

the Eagles are doing whatever they can to make sure they have enough 2023 draft capital to replace Hurts if he fails this year, his 3rd. Unless they have been flat out lying all winter long, they believe in him but just in case... they are doing the smart thing.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I might be wrong about this but I don't think we play the Eagles for another 4 years.  By that time, all these draft picks will have been made and they'll probably be a really good team.  Us even having a chance to beat them for the first time ever is probably not even a consideration until at least another a decade from now.

We play Philly NEXT season.  We played them last year as the extra game.

I know I see things in Jets green, but the value is very close to #4 with a slight "getting a QB" tax.  #4 is the most logical place to trade to. Very slightly over Giants. NO is not doing the QB trade likely until draft day as Detroit is a slight wildcard.  

The Giants are in an interesting spot. It will depend on if the Giants have a player they really covet for 5. If there is, they might prefer the Jets to do the trade because it changes the Jets pick to a QB making it more likely they get their guy. If they trade 5 then there are 2 more chances they lose their guy. Plus they actually might want a QB as well. Plus the Giants would likely need to give something back so they lose their guy and another. Of course if they don't love anyone in the Top 5 it might be compelling for them.

From the NO side agreeing to a deal with the Giants is very dangerous. Teams will recognize that they made that trade for ammunition to move up. so it creates a very real possibility that

Its cleaner with the Jets. They still will have some concern about #3 but getting to 3 is very hard, a mid 2nd rounder more than getting to 4. Plus the Jets just need lots of players so the trade will be inherently interesting for the Jets.