Eagles trade their two first rd picks to New Orleans

1 hour ago, Mark78 said:

Do we wait to see who is at 4 first before jumping on this? What if Hutchinson falls to 4?

Yea, gotta see who is there - but I’d wager DK plus whoever we take at 19 is more valuable than just about anyone we could get at 4.

• Upvote 2

No inside info from Daniel Jeremiah. He was just connecting some dots and spit balling.

Doug Marrone is Saints OL coach. Marrone was Bama’s OL coach last yr. Could the Saints be trying to trade up to get Evan Neal. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

No inside info from Daniel Jeremiah. He was just connecting some dots and spit balling.

Doug Marrone is Saints OL coach. Marrone was Bama’s OL coach last yr. Could the Saints be trying to trade up to get Evan Neal. 

The Saints lost Armstead, right?

I’ve read in a few places that the top 4-5 Tackles are the most coveted players in this draft, after maybe Hutch and Sauce.

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

Eagles are doing this for one reason. Insurance that they have the 2023 draft capital to replace Hurts if they are not happy with him after year 3.  That's the reason. The only reason.  It's not because this draft sucks.  It's because they may decide to move on.  This is a BIG year for Hurts.

There's also the added benefit of not having three first rounders all coming up for options / renewals all at once ... this makes it 2 and 2 rather than 3 and 1. Plus additional later picks for flexibility on trades etc.

• Upvote 1

Seems odd to do this move if it's just "step one" in another trade up - without knowing what trade ups will need / who will be available. Unless they have already got some potential deals in place on a verbal agreement.

A point that was made that makes sense - NO need to get younger and cheaper; they could be trying to accelerate that by buying an extra 1 in a draft where the "sweet spot" is supposedly the 2nd half of Round 1 / Round 2. They get two immediate starters this year instead of one, and aren't bound to specific positions of need etc.

As usual it'll all come down to who they pick ... NO do have some odd habits on that front. ;-)

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Seems odd to do this move if it's just "step one" in another trade up - without knowing what trade ups will need / who will be available. Unless they have already got some potential deals in place on a verbal agreement.

A point that was made that makes sense - NO need to get younger and cheaper; they could be trying to accelerate that by buying an extra 1 in a draft where the "sweet spot" is supposedly the 2nd half of Round 1 / Round 2. They get two immediate starters this year instead of one, and aren't bound to specific positions of need etc.

As usual it'll all come down to who they pick ... NO do have some odd habits on that front. ;-)

Upon reflection, both of these teams were allegedly going after Watson and both, obviously, whiffed. This trade sets the Saints up to make a move this year for Willis, and sets Philly up to reap Bryce Young next year, presuming the Saints start Willis at some point and win <6 games. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Upon reflection, both of these teams were allegedly going after Watson and both, obviously, whiffed. This trade sets the Saints up to make a move this year for Willis, and sets Philly up to reap Bryce Young next year, presuming the Saints start Willis at some point and win <6 games. 

I think they'd have to be smitten with Willis in that case - giving up a future first where you realistically won't win a lot of games is quite a price, especially as they'll still have to trade up again to get him ... and they've already spent significant future capital.

16 + 19 should be enough to take our 4th overall plus a 4th rounder. I’d do it. You end up with 5 picks inside 40. Thats 5 potential starters and god knows we need all of them. 

Or it would be enough for our 10th and 35th. Not sure I like that. I prefer 5 picks if given the choice. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, derp said:

Has to be for a move up, right? Jeremiah mentioned the Giants at 5 but 16+19 is enough to get to 4 too. Either way should be another shake up and bet they make a move soon.

This is actually hilarious. This isn't  a great draft. After 3 or 4 the talent  drops off. 

15 hours ago, derp said:

If makes more sense if it’s the Jets wanting to have draft capital to send off this year for a WR. I’d assume the Giants would want 2023 picks.

The news about Carolina maybe. being forced into a QB at 6 has created some desperation i think.  I'm not sure this is a move to move up for a QB this year or just a way to restock an aging team with cheaper talent to try to win now in a depleted NFC (id lean towards trying to go up for a QB). The one thing this does is kind of negate a trade with the Giants who are really looking for 2023 capital to go after a QB next year.  

Unfortunately for them thats exactly what Philly just put themselves in position to do.  Even if the Giants could execute a trade down, they have a lot of competition now for a QB next year with Miami, and Philly having multiple firsts and teams like ATL looking to semi tank for a qb next year, and the lions possibly as well. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I suspect the Saints already have a trade or two in place - but it'll happen draft day as they want to make sure Willis is there.

• Upvote 1

Eagles amassing 2023 capital for Young or Stroud?

Roseman is no dummy.

It gives them a full year to evaluate Hurts, entering his 3rd.  and if they go with Young or Stroud, Hurts has a cheap year left on his contract and can be traded. 

Excellent GM moves for Eagles, I have to say.  

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Eagles amassing 2023 capital for Young or Stroud?

Roseman is no dummy.

It gives them a full year to evaluate Hurts, entering his 3rd.  and if they go with Young or Stroud, Hurts has a cheap year left on his contract and can be traded. 

Excellent GM moves for Eagles, I have to say.  

32 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The Eagles are doing a good job

Roseman is still making up for all the draft capital he threw away on the trade up for Wentz.  I'd say this brings him back to a positive rating.  

• Upvote 2

If the Saints want to trade 16 and 19 for #4 then I'd make the trade today if I'm JD.  Then we'd have 10, 16 and 19.  I'd try to trade down from 10 and get additional picks for next year.  Not out of the question that we might need to compete for a top QB next year too.  

45 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If the Saints want to trade 16 and 19 for #4 then I'd make the trade today if I'm JD.  Then we'd have 10, 16 and 19.  I'd try to trade down from 10 and get additional picks for next year.  Not out of the question that we might need to compete for a top QB next year too.  

It is completely out of the question. Even if Zach struggles he's getting year 3.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And that is a big reason why this franchise struggles so badly:  Honoring sunken costs at QB.

It would be true of basically any NFL team that takes a QB at 2. Plus there are definitely indicators that Zach was really better than the stats suggested.

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It would be true of basically any NFL team that takes a QB at 2. Plus there are definitely indicators that Zach was really better than the stats suggested.

Well then he’d better show it in year 2.

Handing him year 3 sight unseen would be highly problematic.

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

It is completely out of the question. Even if Zach struggles he's getting year 3.

You think so?  I'm not so sure.  Obviously, it'll depend on how he struggles.  But if his 2nd season is like his 1st then I could see JD seriously thinking about moving on (especially if one of those top QBs are "in range" in the draft).

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If he just struggles? Probably. If he regresses? Maybe not. 

He’s gotta show more this year. Also, JD needs to get him more help. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

If he just struggles? Probably. If he regresses? Maybe not. 

He’s gotta show more this year. Also, JD needs to get him more help. 

Yeah if he regresses that would be a different story but realistically even the most ardent Zach hater would likely admit looking at his arc from last year that regression is super unlikely. Whether you think they are JAGs, JAGS+ or good players the two tight ends will definitely help Zach, and AVT will be a large upgrade at RG regardless.  I cannot imagine the Jets not getting a WR in the first 4 picks and probably another WR, RB and TE in the draft. Linderbaum seems to be dropping as does McBride and they would be hard to pass in Round 2.