Winners have stars

kmnj

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I actually really like the job Joe Douglas is doing. When I make fun of fans cheering for cap space I'm not complaining about JD. People who cling to the cap space like it's their own bank account disgust me.

I think that until they’re sure that Zach is the guy that it’s smart to roll some cap and draft capital forward. If Zach’s it, then great! Next year, spend those picks and cap and make a push while he’s on his rookie deal. If he’s not, having two first rounders and some cap space would certainly help in trying to acquire his replacement. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tua will be gone after this season and Hill will be able to attract a real QB, if necessary.

Meanwhile if Zach Wilson ended up with Tua’s current 2-year stat line we’d have posters here throwing up jizzing gifs left and right, so let’s pump the brakes on the Tua criticism for a minute.  

66 % completions and a 27/15 TD:INT ratio would be the best 2-year performance by a Jet QB in a good while.  Yes, arguably even better than Fitz, thanks to him crashing and burning in that 2nd year.  Tua only receives the level of hate he gets because he isn’t Herbert.

But much like Trubisky was unfairly butchered for not being Mahomes, there’s still certainly a path for QBs like Tua and Trubisky to succeed in the NFL.  

Tua receives the hate because his upside is clearly limited - and you can see it watching him play.

He's been better and often looks  good - but it's obvious when you watch him that he simply doesn't have the tools to be a top tier NFL QB.

So for sure, if Zach's numbers look like Tua's next year there will be and should be real reason for excitement - because it's that kind of growth, with Zach's skill-set, that would make real optimism.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I think that until they’re sure that Zach is the guy that it’s smart to roll some cap and draft capital forward. If Zach’s it, then great! Next year, spend those picks and cap and make a push while he’s on his rookie deal. If he’s not, having two first rounders and some cap space would certainly help in trying to acquire his replacement. 

I don't know if Zack is the guy but I think you have to go all in while he's on his rookie contract. Go for it. If he's not the guy reset. 

20 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Signing all those 1yr FA contract sucks b/c it means we have 20 holes to fill every offseason.

or

Signing all those 1yr FA contracts is great b/c that gives JD 20 opportunities to improve the roster every offseason.

The way I see it, it's a good way of "auditioning" the FA signings ... on two fronts.

1 - are they performing at a level that makes them worth an increased contract

2 - have our draft picks worked out well enough that we don't need to give them an increased contract

E.g. everyone thinks we're done at TE because we signed two FAs. But in two years we need to either replace or re-sign them  ... only way we can replace is if we draft and develop in advance. So it gives flexibility to draft for talent rather than need and look to get better, younger and cheaper. BUT - if it doesn't work out you have a decent vet you can extend so you don't have a new hole to fill.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I am a heretic and a low life because I liked 2010 better than 2001 as a movie.  I found 2010 to be an excellent sequel.

I enjoyed it.  Actually just watched it again last month.  Still holding out hope for an Odyssey 3 someday.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Signing all those 1yr FA contract sucks b/c it means we have 20 holes to fill every offseason.

or

Signing all those 1yr FA contracts is great b/c that gives JD 20 opportunities to improve the roster every offseason.

It’s even better long term because they’re fill ins until they can be replaced by draft picks or 2nd year players

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

Winning teams have stars they added to their teams via the draft or through free agency . The Jets have none . The reality is the roster is loaded with jags and role players which is why the team can’t win games.  Joe has mostly  chosen to play it safe in free agency in his tenure signing one year deals and average at best players. It was at least good to see he went after Hill This draft Joe needs to get explosive impact game changers with his first two picks . I would argue a wr and an edge rusher are the needs that can have the biggest impact and help us win games. I pray joe does not use these picks on defensive backs . We tried that not too long ago and it failed miserably and both players were moved. 

i think i can agree and disagree.  teams need a certain level of talent to be successful but the whole concept of team is that the whole is much greater than any individual part.   i think there are some players that will be good regardless of where they are but most will play to the level of the players they are surrounded with so losing begats losing.  a good team will elevate those players.

as for the jets, they have had about 10 seasons of getting the completely wrong draftees, especially in the higher rounds.  when was the last time the jets actually drafted a wr worth anything besides moore and cotchery?

28 minutes ago, rangerous said:

as for the jets, they have had about 10 seasons of getting the completely wrong draftees, especially in the higher rounds.  when was the last time the jets actually drafted a wr worth anything besides moore and cotchery?

This franchise just hasn't invested a lot of high picks at WR, either.  Denzel Mims (# 59), Devin Smith (# 37), Stephen Hill (# 43).  From 2002-2020, those were the only three top 60 picks taken on WR's.

Ample opportunities have been there to take impact receivers in the top 60 or so, but the franchise just hasn't taken them.  Simply bad GMing.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, kmnj said:

Winning teams have stars they added to their teams via the draft or through free agency . The Jets have none . The reality is the roster is loaded with jags and role players which is why the team can’t win games.  Joe has mostly  chosen to play it safe in free agency in his tenure signing one year deals and average at best players. It was at least good to see he went after Hill This draft Joe needs to get explosive impact game changers with his first two picks . I would argue a wr and an edge rusher are the needs that can have the biggest impact and help us win games. I pray joe does not use these picks on defensive backs . We tried that not too long ago and it failed miserably and both players were moved. 

Awesome insight. I heard the other day that the most interesting places in the world are often tourist attractions. People don't usually go on vacation to the dull places. In a related note, most blockbuster movies also have stars in them.

14 hours ago, kmnj said:

Tibs @ 4 & Williams @ 10... is what I'm looking for. 

14 hours ago, Jet9 said:

The Jets organization can't develop players, period. How many Jalen Reagor-types have they drafted? Not a lot, really. They don't over-draft necessarily. They just can't/rarely develop anyone of note. Culture issue, if I'm being honest. Same as my Rangers consistently not getting up for bad teams for 30+ years. Very much an MSG team issue.

Considering the GM and CS are new, is it the uniform?  The stadium?  The water in Florham Park?  Ghosts?  A curse?  What is this culture you speak of when there has been a complete turnover of management and coaches multiple times in the past 30 years?  This is such a BS take.  

16 hours ago, kmnj said:

Hot take. Good teams have great players.  I hate to break the news to you, but most expensive free agents are not worth the money. And most stars never leave the team that drafted them until they are on the downside of their careers and are no longer stars or are about to fade. 

17 hours ago, kmnj said:

Corey Davis? Michael Carter?? Zach wilson? Have you heard of Carl ?? How many stars you want??

8 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Considering the GM and CS are new, is it the uniform?  The stadium?  The water in Florham Park?  Ghosts?  A curse?  What is this culture you speak of when there has been a complete turnover of management and coaches multiple times in the past 30 years?  This is such a BS take.  

And yet there's always one constant. I'll give you a minute to figure it out. 

7 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You honestly believe Woody is involved in developing players?  Please.

You honestly believe the team has whiffed on nearly every pick? The math doesn't favor it. Hackenberg for sure. Besides him who have we clearly overdrafted, someone where it was said draft weekend, not 5 years later? Does Woody have a hand in development? Of course not. But the country club mentality is on him. Same as it is on Dolan and the Garden. Woody doesn't give a sh*t until Jet fans start up every 3 years or so. Woody IS Kreuger Industrial Smoothings.