Putting the puzzle together

18 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If that’s the case do you think they just pull the trigger at 4 for the WO and get their guy? Or wait till 10? 

Depends who 'their guy' is.  Or if they have two.  I think it's very possible one WR gets drafted before 10.  Much less likely two go.

Guys who could be drafted in top-9:

Hutch, Thibs, Neal, Ekwonu, Gardner, Willis, Walker, Pickett, Cross, Hamilton, Johnson, Wilson, London, Williams.  Maaaaaybe Karlaftis or Davis sneak in but feels unlikely.   Still, that's 14 guys for 9 spots.  I think the first six are probably locks for top-9.  I could see another QB like PIckett sneaking up.  If WRs go, I think it's in the 7-9 range, not higher.  NYG, ATL and SEA if they stay.  SEA is not drafting a WR, so do I think NYG and ATL will?  Possible.  They both could argue a need, but they both have much bigger needs to fill as well. 

My best guess, 50% chance one goes before 10.  15% chance two go.  1% chance 3 go.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

A #4 pick should be a difference maker, a game-changer, who starts effecting the team and wins/losses almost immediately.

I have my own view on what positions and players could meet that criteria, but I'll be honest, I don't see a OL, DT or Safety as meeting that criteria. 

right.  even tuna got 2 out of the box impact players when he drafted abraham and ellis back in 2000.  we should be expecting the same or better from the 4 and the 10 pick.

3 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

You do realize you're advocating for a "depth" pick at #4 overall? Unless Becton is toast, that would be an enormous waste of resources when there are serious holes at other skill positions that need high quality starters. I can fully understand drafting a tackle or center/guard in rounds 3 or later, but not in the first round or even the second.

Not necessarily, suddenly Becton or Fant become trade bait leading up to the trade deadline.

Fant also has not been extended and his contract is up after this year. 

So this would be potentially be a pick where you've locked down both your OTs for the next 10-12 years.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

*Side note: Seems to me and to everyone else who has not been living under a rock that JD would prefer a proven vet WR for Zach. Even if that meant giving up considerable draft capital and a financial investment.    

Fair point to make.  Trouble is...he has failed completely to acquire that player and FA is effectively over for meaningful players.

That leaves a big trade as the only option.  JD is "Trader Joe" in fairness, more than any GM I can recall, and it's the one thing he's been almost universally good at.

Hence why I always try and caveat with "a trade nullifies my viewpoint".  Because if we trade for McLaurin, we don't need Wilson et. al.

The only scenario in which we go OT in round 1 is if Becton gets traded. We are not drafting an OT that high for depth.

Now, I wouldn't 100% be opposed to moving on from Becton and drafting a replacement, for if they truly don't believe in him anymore, then the best course of action is to move on. But, it would leave a bitter taste to have to move on from a top pick like Becton after only 2 years and draft his replacement with another top 10 pick. How bitter that is would also depend on the return for Becton, and it would put even more pressure on JD to nail this draft. (The last bit makes it even more unlikely for it to happen, imo.)

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Not necessarily, suddenly Becton or Fant become trade bait leading up to the trade deadline.

So this would be potentially be a pick where you've locked down both your OTs for the next 10-12 years.

Is he gonna extend AVT, too? Because that’ll be about $60M/year for 3/5ths of their OL. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

Disagree on the OT:  Fant is pushing 30 and likely gone after next year.   We are one injury away from Connor McDermott.  You draft an OT, who can start early, or can compete with Fant and Becton for an edge position, you fill an immediate need.  As far as the scenario where both OTs are gone, and Sauce is on the board, your point has some merit... but that's also why it will be interesting to see if a trade-up occurs at that point as Willis is on the board.   Could see that decision playing out. 

So, in this scenario, you're taking either a top 10OA pick who's healthy (I assume) and who should be starting and performing like a 10OA pick by the end of the year (kinda like AVT) and redshirting him for no good reason, or you're taking Becton, a player who's motivation and ability to stay on the field you question and benching him, in which case you might as well trade him. Benching him is not the way to motivate him. He's likely to just give up. If you still believe Becton has a chance to be a capable starter he has to play. Otherwise, he's wasting a roster spot.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

It would be unless Becton is toast, I guess we will find out for real how the team feels about Becton’s potential  of coming and contributing substantially. Their actions on day one will likely remove all the talk about Becton and replace it with action. 

If we go OT that high then it’s likely Becton they see as the depth. So I think the OP is 100% correct about his take on this. 

I don't want the 11th OA pick as depth. That's a bad idea. Start him, or trade him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

In this scenario, it’s gotta be Sauce or their favorite Edge (or a trade back?). 

I disagree with some of what you’re supposing here. I think the willingness to part with both seconds means the Jets recognize that WR is a huge need. That if they can’t trade for a starting WR, it could easily become a bigger priority in the draft. Also do not see the OL as a problem area. McGovern played a lot better when he had better guards next to him, and the guards next to him this year will be very good. Fans may have given up on Becton, but the organization appears to be all in. They don’t need to use the #4 pick on tackle insurance, they need to use it on an impact player this year. There are still good OL available in free agency to shore up the line, too, players who will likely still be available after the draft. 

I agree with the priority at WR, but don't see the immediate impact and separation among the top guys.  Not sure that Willson is that much a better prospect than those that would drop to 20 or into the second round.   I still think the key to this draft is what the Lions do at 2.  If they go Willis, it looks a lot different than if Willis falls to 4.  Thor Nystrom is fairly respected draft analyst who is very well connected to teams and scouts.  His take on Willis and the New Orleans trade yesterday leads me to believe that Willis will not make it out of the top 10.  And if he goes at 2 or 4 (if we trade down), then it's quite possible two go in the top 10.  All this leads me to believe by numbers, one of the top edges will be had at 10.  Now, if the Jets see a Travon Walker, Jermaine Johnson or KVT as separating from the pack, then edge at 4 or 6 (in a trade with Carolina) is plausible, but none of these guys are Myles Garrett, Von Miller, Chase Young, etc.  KVT maybe, but it's not just the off the field questions that have scouts mixed on him. 

My preference would be to see Willis fall to 4, us trade back to have 2 picks in the top 10 (with 3 seconds positioned for trading up again) or three picks in the 10-19 range.  I think the ideal scenario is we end up with three picks in the first, including Edge (no lower than 10) and WR among them, and the additional pick could be O-line. 

I don't see o-line as a depth signing.  Getting Becton AVT and either edge or center addressed in the first, can allow us to draft more developmental prospects in future years.  We've not yet rebuilt this line.  We've gotten lucky with Fant, have mixed data on Becton.  And we scored on AVT (and hopefully Tomlinson).  Bookend tackles and Center are needs.  There was too much smoke around the Ryan Jensen upgrade.  At the end of the day, none of what we does matter if Zach does not take the next step.  Solidifying the o-line and WR are critical, even as we need to rebuild the defense.  Still a couple of weeks left to see if we trade for DK or Brown. If that happens (and assuming they keep two firsts), they are not taking WR in the first... would expect o-line to be in play. 

19 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

So, in this scenario, you're taking either a top 10OA pick who's healthy (I assume) and who should be starting and performing like a 10OA pick by the end of the year (kinda like AVT) and redshirting him for no good reason, or you're taking Becton, a player who's motivation and ability to stay on the field you question and benching him, in which case you might as well trade him. Benching him is not the way to motivate him. He's likely to just give up. If you still believe Becton has a chance to be a capable starter he has to play. Otherwise, he's wasting a roster spot.

No, I am picking him to start, and let Fant/Becton compete for the other position.  If he is not good enough to start day 1, he shouldn't be picked at 4.  Otherwise it's a fail.  There's a reason Becton fell to the teens. 

10 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

I agree with the priority at WR, but don't see the immediate impact and separation among the top guys.  Not sure that Willson is that much a better prospect than those that would drop to 20 or into the second round.   I still think the key to this draft is what the Lions do at 2.  If they go Willis, it looks a lot different than if Willis falls to 4.  Thor Nystrom is fairly respected draft analyst who is very well connected to teams and scouts.  His take on Willis and the New Orleans trade yesterday leads me to believe that Willis will not make it out of the top 10.  And if he goes at 2 or 4 (if we trade down), then it's quite possible two go in the top 10.  All this leads me to believe by numbers, one of the top edges will be had at 10.  Now, if the Jets see a Travon Walker, Jermaine Johnson or KVT as separating from the pack, then edge at 4 or 6 (in a trade with Carolina) is plausible, but none of these guys are Myles Garrett, Von Miller, Chase Young, etc.  KVT maybe, but it's not just the off the field questions that have scouts mixed on him. 

My preference would be to see Willis fall to 4, us trade back to have 2 picks in the top 10 (with 3 seconds positioned for trading up again) or three picks in the 10-19 range.  I think the ideal scenario is we end up with three picks in the first, including Edge (no lower than 10) and WR among them, and the additional pick could be O-line. 

I don't see o-line as a depth signing.  Getting Becton AVT and either edge or center addressed in the first, can allow us to draft more developmental prospects in future years.  We've not yet rebuilt this line.  We've gotten lucky with Fant, have mixed data on Becton.  And we scored on AVT (and hopefully Tomlinson).  Bookend tackles and Center are needs.  There was too much smoke around the Ryan Jensen upgrade.  At the end of the day, none of what we does matter if Zach does not take the next step.  Solidifying the o-line and WR are critical, even as we need to rebuild the defense.  Still a couple of weeks left to see if we trade for DK or Brown. If that happens (and assuming they keep two firsts), they are not taking WR in the first... would expect o-line to be in play. 

If we trade down it is mostly likely to NO so we would have 10,16 and 19. To be honest I would be OK trading down from 10 as well as just have like 3 firsts and 3 seconds

41 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I think it depends on the situation. If lets say Becton is a complete wash-out. Gets injured again- misses all of 2022-23 season and Fant does not look like the same Fant as last year and leaves in FA so we end up with Ekwonu/Neal on one side but no OT on the other, then we are staring at one of the best OTs in the draft at pick 8 (or whatever)- YES. Draft another OT. Because its a need, a premium position and BAP.  

Conversely, if Fant is solid, Becton turns things around AND we have Neal/Ekwonu, we can just let Fant walk (or trade) and even if we are staring at a top OT in the draft, pass on that selection because we have the O-line taken care of and potentially a need at another position trumps taking that guy. 

It just depends. I never said BAP should trump ALL decision making. That would be moronic. 

so your picking a guy at 4 to be a backup then? or does Fant the guy who gave up 1 sack all year get benched? or does Becton not even get a 3rd year?

funny thing is Laken the guy we just got has went down a similar path. a #1 pick by Det. traded after 2 years for a 5th rd pick to SF and is now one of the most sort after OG in the game. 

and thats the plan we are following. the great Detroit Lion plan. since 2015 the year Laken got drafted they have used 4 out of 7 first rd picks on the OL. in the same time Buffalo had zero, but you can pick any good team and they all do the same. except us and Detroit. 

thats when you throw BAP out the window. or we become the NY Lions. hows that working out for them?

last year we had a good OL with one 1st rd pick, Fant (UDFA), LDT and Moses (6th rd), and Mcg (5th). and Moses was signed in July i believe. LDT was a mid season trade. you can get good OL. there a dime a dozen. 

but what you cant get are good WRs and Edges. and neither should be pushed to rd 2 when the top 7 or more are gone when at 4 and 10 we can get the best WR and one of the top Edges. if you got to reach for them then reach, nobody is going to care years from now if Wilson or Landon are good that we took them at 4 instead of where Mel Kiper told us to get them. 

WR and Edges make a difference. they win games. not 1st rd OL. why cant we following the rest of the NFL, the winning franchises instead of the losing ones? 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Jets fans in general, and on this site in particular, are way too OL centric for my tastes. Right now, as constructed, the OL is (at least) a top half unit in the NFL. It’s also probably the strongest position group on the Jets. There’s no hoping necessary for Tomlinson, he comes from the same system and doesn’t miss time. He’s a plug & play upgrade. McGovern played well when he didn’t have garbage at guard next to him. He won’t this year. 

I like Douglas so far, but if he takes yet another first round OL, I will not be pleased. Too many other needs and wants on this team. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

Jets fans in general, and on this site in particular, are way too OL centric for my tastes. Right now, as constructed, the OL is (at least) a top half unit in the NFL. It’s also probably the strongest position group on the Jets. There’s no hoping necessary for Tomlinson, he comes from the same system and doesn’t miss time. He’s a plug & play upgrade. McGovern played well when he didn’t have garbage at guard next to him. He won’t this year. 

I like Douglas so far, but if he takes yet another first round OL, I will not be pleased. Too many other needs and wants in this team. 

I suppose one way of looking at it is...would you trade #10 for Wirfs right now?  If the answer is no, then don't draft Ekwonu or Neal at 4 or 10.

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

If we go o line at 4 JD should be tarred and feathered 

me and you agree on nothing...... but this.

i have defended JD for a long time but im done if he does this. i wish the draft was in NY cause if he picks a OL at 4 i will start a "Fire JD" chant before we pick at 10.

if he picks an OL at 4 OR 10 i will meet you and @SAR I at the airport and we can get the "Fire JD" plane up and running.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If that’s the case do you think they just pull the trigger at 4 for the WO and get their guy? Or wait till 10? 

Amateur evaluation of receivers and corners is kind of ridiculous. So much of success and failure at the NFL level is getting or denying a release on press coverage. Projecting that is more a matter of what teams see in workouts and scouting practices than anything we have access to even if we knew what we were looking at. So the whole thing where we pretend 'worth it at 10 but not at 4' is either a distinction we're capable of making or how things actually work is extra silly for these positions where you can't really do better than wild guess anyway.

Again emphasizing that I know zero here, I could see something like Neal at 4, Wilson at 10.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Amateur evaluation of receivers and corners is kind of ridiculous. So much of success and failure at the NFL level is getting or denying a release on press coverage. Projecting that is more a matter of what teams see in workouts and scouting practices than anything we have access to even if we knew what we were looking at. So the whole thing where we pretend 'worth it at 10 but not at 4' is either a distinction we're capable of making or how things actually work is extra silly for these positions where you can't really do better than wild guess anyway.

Again emphasizing that I know zero here, I could see something like Neal at 4, Wilson at 10.

Yeah, I Know less, but I can see it happening. I think that would be something Douglas could feel comfortable with and keep the help Zach narrative in full bloom. Likely means day two we go Edge and linebacker  on day two, maybe twice. So Saleh smiles and goes along.  

16 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

No, I am picking him to start, and let Fant/Becton compete for the other position.  If he is not good enough to start day 1, he shouldn't be picked at 4.  Otherwise it's a fail.  There's a reason Becton fell to the teens. 

Then you're benching Becton for the year which is an equally bad idea, because after how Fant performed last year, he's our starting LT and I think that continuity on the line is important.

49 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

The only scenario in which we go OT in round 1 is if Becton gets traded. We are not drafting an OT that high for depth.

Now, I wouldn't 100% be opposed to moving on from Becton and drafting a replacement, for if they truly don't believe in him anymore, then the best course of action is to move on. But, it would leave a bitter taste to have to move on from a top pick like Becton after only 2 years and draft his replacement with another top 10 pick. How bitter that is would also depend on the return for Becton, and it would put even more pressure on JD to nail this draft. (The last bit makes it even more unlikely for it to happen, imo.)

Ah yes. The big fat sunk cost fallacy. They're not going to get anything in return and it doesn't matter because they need another tackle and to rebuild the wall they're gonna have to knock down to get Becton out of the building.

9 minutes ago, doitny said:

so your picking a guy at 4 to be a backup then? or does Fant the guy who gave up 1 sack all year get benched? or does Becton not even get a 3rd year?

funny thing is Laken the guy we just got has went down a similar path. a #1 pick by Det. traded after 2 years for a 5th rd pick to SF and is now one of the most sort after OG in the game. 

and thats the plan we are following. the great Detroit Lion plan. since 2015 the year Laken got drafted they have used 4 out of 7 first rd picks on the OL. in the same time Buffalo had zero, but you can pick any good team and they all do the same. except us and Detroit. 

thats when you throw BAP out the window. or we become the NY Lions. hows that working out for them?

last year we had a good OL with one 1st rd pick, Fant (UDFA), LDT and Moses (6th rd), and Mcg (5th). and Moses was signed in July i believe. LDT was a mid season trade. you can get good OL. there a dime a dozen. 

but what you cant get are good WRs and Edges. and neither should be pushed to rd 2 when the top 7 or more are gone when at 4 and 10 we can get the best WR and one of the top Edges. if you got to reach for them then reach, nobody is going to care years from now if Wilson or Landon are good that we took them at 4 instead of where Mel Kiper told us to get them. 

WR and Edges make a difference. they win games. not 1st rd OL. why cant we following the rest of the NFL, the winning franchises instead of the losing ones? 

Like I said. It depends on the situation. RIGHT NOW Fant is only signed for one more year and Becton is a complete question mark. Its not as simple as- are you drafting a guy at #4 to be a backup? Because I could very well be drafting a guy at #4 to be my starting LT and protect my Franchise QB at a time when we most desperately need it. I'm not married to it, I'm just saying. If its EASILY the top player on your board and you love him as a prospect, take him. Especially when you have pick at 10 to address another position.  

If Fant continues playing like he has (after his injury) and Becton comes back (after injury) and starts to dominate- then the Jets have an embarrassment of riches on the O-line. Not the worst thing ever. And AGAIN, this is WITHOUT Fant extended. At worst they let Fant walk and have extra cap room to work with (or trade him for a draft pick). 

Don't twist my words as if I'm advocating for BAP above all else or act as if we are completely solid at the OT position for the foreseeable future. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, slats said:

I like Douglas so far, but if he takes yet another first round OL, I will not be pleased. Too many other needs and wants on this team. 

Actually not o-line centric... but as it goes, it is quite likely that there are four elite players in this draft.  Hutchinson, Neal, Ekwonu, and Sauce.  Some would argue Willis as the QB.  KVT has worked his way out of that conversation to the next tier.  If you don't want one of those four, you trade out if you can.  Otherwise, overdrafting a player, who shares similar upside to a guy you could draft at 10 or before 20, comes with similar probabilities of success.

Would I prefer that a Garrett, Khalil Mack, or Von MIller was available given our needs?  Absolutely.  But I think there's a chance here to get your edge in the top 10 as it stands now.  10 may be similar to 4 in upside.  There is a deep second tier that includes Walker, KVT, Johnson and Karlaftis.  I don't see how you project Travon Walker with his production to top 4; you are entirely doing that based on traits.  There are legitimate questions about KVT, Johnson, and Karlaftis that push them into the second tier.  If the Jets coaches and scouts think that a Walker or KVT is truly elite, then of course you take them.  But I can't help but remember Saleh saying that there was no elite edge talent in this draft, but that it was a deep edge draft.  That was a tell to me.

I am ok with a draft that looks Ekwonu/Neal, Johnson/Karlaftis, and a trade-up for Treylon Burks/Jameson Williams.  I am also good with double dipping on receivers with a 2nd/3rd round talent like Skyy Moore or Jalen Tolbert.  I am also good with Sauce, Johnson/Karlaftis and WR before the end of Round 1 through a trade-up (and then taking the developmental tackle later).  But my preferred right now is a trade-back at 4 if Willis drops and there is a run on the pick.  Ending up with Johnson/Karlaftis/KVT at 10, and then Garrett Wilson/London/Burks/Williams in the teens (assuming two QBs go top 10) becomes a real possibility.  And then you get the bonus of doing whatever you want with the third pick.  Or using three seconds to spread among the o-line and other needs. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

But then it's not a depth pick. That changes the equation, as I said.

2 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Ah yes. The big fat sunk cost fallacy. They're not going to get anything in return and it doesn't matter because they need another tackle and to rebuild the wall they're gonna have to knock down to get Becton out of the building.

It's not so much about sunk cost (although having to use two high 1st round draft picks on the same position two years apart is less than ideal when we could've used those picks on two high-impact players) but it's more about mismanagement of resources. If they believe Becton still has a chance to be a capable player for us, then he has to start. If not, trade him. For what, I don't really care, because if they don't believe in him, then we get nothing for him anyway, and his trade value is only going to go down from here, because if he sits on the bench for another year, he's done in New York, and there's no sense keeping him around.

Again, I'm not totally against trading Becton and drafting a replacement, but they have to make a decision on Becton, and not just keep him around as depth just cause.

35 minutes ago, slats said:

Is he gonna extend AVT, too? Because that’ll be about $60M/year for 3/5ths of their OL. 

THANK YOU SLATS!!!!!!

nobody thinks about this. were not paying the money it will cost for all these guys. if this 4 pick is so good you cant keep him and AVT. much less Fant

as comparison SF is paying around 41 mil...for all 11 OL on their roster!!! the SB champs Rams about 47 mil. AVT and the 4th pick will makes about 40 mil. Fant makes it around 60 mil. now who is playing the other 2 spots? McDermont and GVR clones . nah they make too much to be able to sign.

these OL guys dont look around the league and see what teams we wish to be someday how there doing it. nobody pays big money to the OL. and they cant when your QB makes 50 mil and your WRs now want 25-30 mil. 

KC just lost Hill because they gave O Brown 16 mil. he and Scherff make 32 mil. i guarantee you if Hill ask for his money before, Brown is not resigned.

its amazing that how much we as fans have suffered with this team that instead of following the many examples of how to build a winning team we are following the worst Franchise in NFL history. (Detroit)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

You do realize you're advocating for a "depth" pick at #4 overall? Unless Becton is toast, that would be an enormous waste of resources when there are serious holes at other skill positions that need high quality starters. I can fully understand drafting a tackle or center/guard in rounds 3 or later, but not in the first round or even the second.

I don't see it as a waste at all... Either Tackle provides the depth we need this year and a starter next year. No one has a crystal ball to say whether Becton comes back as a stud or dud... I for one would not be upset if we drafted an OT.

18 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Like I said. It depends on the situation. RIGHT NOW Fant is only signed for one more year and Becton is a complete question mark. Its not as simple as- are you drafting a guy at #4 to be a backup? Because I could very well be drafting a guy at #4 to be my starting LT and protect my Franchise QB at a time when we most desperately need it. I'm not married to it, I'm just saying. If its EASILY the top player on your board and you love him as a prospect, take him. Especially when you have pick at 10 to address another position.  

If Fant continues playing like he has (after his injury) and Becton comes back (after injury) and starts to dominate- then the Jets have an embarrassment of riches on the O-line. Not the worst thing ever. And AGAIN, this is WITHOUT Fant extended. At worst they let Fant walk and have extra cap room to work with (or trade him for a draft pick). 

Don't twist my words as if I'm advocating for BAP above all else or act as if we are completely solid at the OT position for the foreseeable future. 

no your advocating for a OL at 4. i just trying to figure it out.

you say if Fant continues to play well..... well that sounds like you want Fant as one of your starters? right?

you say if Becton comes back and dominates.... well he has to play to dominate so he is your other starter... right?

so your going to use the 4th pick in the draft to sit on the bench on a 4 win team. thats a horrible way to draft. so is if you trade Fant or Becton to make room so the 4th pick starts right now. on a 4 win team there are plenty of spots where your 1st rd pick can start right away an you dont have to trade anyone to make room for them.

how about we wait for 2023 when it gets here. there will be another draft and FA to get OL that maybe there will be a spot  for them to go into. 

we are solid at OT for 2022. i fully expect we draft a OT in rd 3 or 4 to back up Becton in case he fails. 

what concerns me is that Berrios is our 3rd WR. what terrifies me is that Mims is an injury away from starting. WR should be the top priority even if he has to reach for one. 

and our defense cant stop a nose bleed. QW and Fatsi were tied with 6 sacks each. thats pathetic. we had the worst defense in NFL history.... our OL was 11 best (PFF)

Those 2 trumps a OL for the future. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

THANK YOU SLATS!!!!!!

nobody thinks about this. were not paying the money it will cost for all these guys. if this 4 pick is so good you cant keep him and AVT. much less Fant

as comparison SF is paying around 41 mil...for all 11 OL on their roster!!! the SB champs Rams about 47 mil. AVT and the 4th pick will makes about 40 mil. Fant makes it around 60 mil. now who is playing the other 2 spots? McDermont and GVR clones . nah they make too much to be able to sign.

these OL guys dont look around the league and see what teams we wish to be someday how there doing it. nobody pays big money to the OL. and they cant when your QB makes 50 mil and your WRs now want 25-30 mil. 

KC just lost Hill because they gave O Brown 16 mil. he and Scherff make 32 mil. i guarantee you if Hill ask for his money before, Brown is not resigned.

its amazing that how much we as fans have suffered with this team that instead of following the many examples of how to build a winning team we are following the worst Franchise in NFL history. (Detroit)

of course not, you won't keep them all, but if you were so lucky to hit on all three, then you have five years to find developmental depth to see if you can get your Fant.  You keep one or two and you either let one walk or trade him.  But hopefully, you've used your picks in future years to tweak and develop.  And you get comp picks if you let them walk.  Look, even if Becton was solid, we'd still have an urgent need at right tackle for this draft.  Fant right now is a question mark, even off his best year.  And Becton is far from solid right now.

11 minutes ago, hit its said:

If we don’t go OT @ 4, and Fant or the oft injured Becton go down early, who exactly is playing OT for this team ? That is a recipe for QB suicide

are the options limited to using the #4 pick or doing nothing else to address tackle depth?  

There’s not 1 GM in the league that thinks he’s picking a bust in the 1st round, but the facts are it happens all the time. No one knows that better than Jet fans. And that’s not to say Becton is a bust, he’s been injured twice, that said, it’s the good GM’s that don’t let their egos cloud their judgement.  OT is to important for a QB’s growth and health, and our guy is exactly BIG BEN  size. I’d put a premium on keeping him upright

3 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

are the options limited to using the #4 pick or doing nothing else to address tackle depth?  

Whose to say that u wait until 10 and Cross in also gone. We know the Giants are picking one for sure. I think if you can get a blue chip tackle @ 4 you run to the podium