Brandon Cook on the Block

Three teams have traded Brandin Cooks, who has never stayed with one team more than three seasons. Could a fourth trade send him elsewhere?

The Browns are among the teams that have inquired about a trade for Cooks, Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com reports. Cabot adds that “the possibility (of a deal) is currently low.”

That’s because the Texans want a second-round choice for Cooks, per Cabot.

The Browns already traded their first-rounder and fourth-rounder in 2022 to the Texans for quarterback Deshaun Watson, as well as a third-rounder in 2023, and a fourth-rounder in 2024.

The compensation for Cooks has fallen every time a team has dealt him. The Saints traded Cooks and a 2017 fourth-round choice (subsequently traded) to the Patriots for a 2017 first-round choice (Ryan Ramczyk) and a 2017 third-round choice (Trey Hendrickson). A year later, the Patriots traded Cooks and a 2018 fourth-round choice to the Rams for a 2018 first-round choice (Isaiah Wynn) and a 2018 sixth-round choice (subsequently traded). In 2020, the Rams traded Cooks and a 2022 fourth-round selection to the Texans for a 2020 second-round choice (Van Jefferson).

A Texans’ trade of Cooks could prove difficult.

Cooks, 28, is heading into the final year of his contract with a base salary of $12.5 million, which means he will want an extension from his new team.

The Browns already traded with the Cowboys for four-time Pro Bowler Amari Cooper. But Cooks, who has six 1,000-yard seasons, teamed up with Watson in 2020 to catch 81 passes for 1,150 yards and six touchdowns.

No way are the Texans getting a 2nd but I would definitely entertain a 3rd or possibly swapping our 2nd for their 3rd. Douglas may want to also re-word his deal as well which is why we didn't get Cooper as Dallas didn't want to hedge the trade on us coming to terms with Cooper. I'm not too big of a fan of Cook but if the price of these other guys are 1st round picks or two 2nd round picks (as this forum would tell you) then I'll settle for the opportunity cost of keeping our draft capital and going after Cook and inserting his 1,000 yard season to our 2022 stat book. 

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Brandin Cooks is solid and produces despite some poor QB play. I wouldn’t mind a trade for him. Most I would offer is a 3rd though. And even then, I would still look to draft a WR in the 2nd. 

I think I'd still want a WR at pick #10 (Garrett Wilson).  Or maybe trade back and try to snag Jameson Williams.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

This kinda of stuff is normal in hockey, even baseball. Not so much in the NFL. Is he a PITA or just a guy who gets moved a lot? His numbers are better than I thought. 

He's had five concussions... Always produces but I think teams have been concerned about reuppping long term and I would too...

https://www.theundroppables.com/brandin-cooks-concussion-history/

Meme No GIF by HiHo Kids

Seriously though, I'm fine with Cooks if we also come away with an impact WR in the draft or trade for ANOTHER #1 type WR. But adding Cooks would suggest to me that those two things WON'T happen. So...no thank you. 

I want JD to make a power move for DK. 

• Upvote 1

Cooks must suck because Idzik passed on him for Pryor

Rd 1: Calvin Pryor; Rd 2: Jace Amaro; Rd 3: Dexter McDougle; Rd 4: Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, Dakota Dozier. Followed by 5 more atrocious picks and Q.  

All-time worst Jets draft?  Somebody should hunt down the 3 worst and start a poll, but 2014 woould be my winner, without even seeing other drafts actually.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Meme No GIF by HiHo Kids

Seriously though, I'm fine with Cooks if we also come away with an impact WR in the draft or trade for ANOTHER #1 type WR. But adding Cooks would suggest to me that those two things WON'T happen. So...no thank you. 

I want JD to make a power move for DK. 

DK worries me.  He has the same crazy look in his eyes as Antonio Brown.

2 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

This kinda if stuff is normal in hockey, even baseball. Not so much in the NFL. Is he a PITA or just a guy who gets moved a lot? His numbers are better than I thought. 

Brandin Cook is a low end #1 WR that wanted the salary of a highend number one. Saints had Thomas waiting in the wing and received a great offer from the Pats. Pats kinda figured out he wasn't the dominating figure who they traded for and was also generously compensated by the Rams who's been in win-now mode evening going back then. Rams gave him $50M guaranteed, $80M total to then figure out what the Pats and Saints knew all along. Rams were in cap hell as well and needed to shed salary. They found Robert Woods to be more cost efficient and awarded him with a new deal which in the short term helped their cap situation while shipping out Cook for a 2nd round pick. Everything kinda seems circumstantial and not very much behavioral. 

My brain is trying to wrap itself around this but let’s say he is traded for a 2nd round pick straight up this offseason..

Does that mean over the course of his career Brandon Cooks (and three 4th round picks) would have been exchanged for a total of three 1st round picks, two 2nds, a 3rd round pick and a 4th?

thats just wild lol 

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Cooks is very underrated. All the guy has done is produce despite being shipped all over the league with various QBs. I would make a move for him but probably not a 2

So why does he get traded so often if he’s underrated?  Are all these teams getting it wrong?

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think I'd still want a WR at pick #10 (Garrett Wilson).  Or maybe trade back and try to snag Jameson Williams.

If Williams is the highest ceiling guy of all the WR's, a guy like Cooks for a couple of years could make sense.  Basically red shirt Williams for his rookie year while still giving Wilson a decent chance to develop further in Year 2.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So why does he get traded so often if he’s underrated?  Are all these teams getting it wrong?

Not gonna pretend like I know a lot about him but his numbers over the last 8 years are great - 6 1K+ seasons on various teams and QBs. It's impressive but you are right, he obviously gets bounced around for a reason

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Cooks must suck because Idzik passed on him for Pryor

Rd 1: Calvin Pryor; Rd 2: Jace Amaro; Rd 3: Dexter McDougle; Rd 4: Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, Dakota Dozier. Followed by 5 more atrocious picks and Q.  

All-time worst Jets draft?  Somebody should hunt down the 3 worst and start a poll, but 2014 woould be my winner, without even seeing other drafts actually.

Why not just stick needles in your eyes?  What is the point of this?  I'd rather look forward to this draft.  We all know Idzik had a bad draft .  

• Haha 2