Interesting podcast re: what the hell is going on with the receiver market

23 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I love the statement about how Favre is kind of the archetype of the current en vogue QB.  It’s wild, but pretty true.  The big armed gunslinger is the flavor currently, no doubt.  The Cerebral underneath surgeon won’t get it done anymore.

Those comments definitely made me feel better about the Wilson pick. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Observation: This The Athletic Podcast is great, the PFF podcast sucks, but The Draft Network podcast is easily the worst, most insipid waste of digital space I’ve ever stumbled upon.

The Athletic generally makes quality product. PFF Tailgate is the whitest, frat boy, peaked in college podcast out there but their draft analysis is decent when they get to it. The Draft Dudes by The Draft Network is just rubbish. They’re always wrong and they always talk about their process and it’s embarrassing.

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

The Athletic generally makes quality product. PFF Tailgate is the whitest, frat boy, peaked in college podcast out there but their draft analysis is decent when they get to it. The Draft Dudes by The Draft Network is just rubbish. They’re always wrong and they always talk about their process and it’s embarrassing.

The one I was listening to was The Draft Dudes and I had to turn it off. It was just strange pauses and Kyle Crabbs being a straight up weirdo. 

• Haha 1

If you buy their line of thinking, which I do, and believe Joe D might have similar beliefs(which I’m not sure) I’d almost put my money on Drake London and not Wilson.  Or neither in RD one and a guy like Pickens or Watson in RD 2.  

Davis in that “power slot” role with Moore moving all over.

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If you buy their line of thinking, which I do, and believe Joe D might have similar beliefs(which I’m not sure) I’d almost put my money on Drake London and not Wilson.  Or neither in RD one and a guy like Pickens or Watson in RD 2.  

Watson around 20 would be more realistic. He is very unlikely to make it to the second round as there are a ton of teams likely to take receiver after 20.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I love the statement about how Favre is kind of the archetype of the current en vogue QB.  It’s wild, but pretty true.  The big armed gunslinger is the flavor currently, no doubt.  The Cerebral underneath surgeon won’t get it done anymore.

Funny this has always been true, players with less of these attributes get over looked . Brady is the poster child for that argument. Its also why the NFL has such a lack of elite QB's and for the most part 3/4's of the league have trouble finding that "guy" or 3/4's of the league pass on that "guy"

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Except, that’s literally Tom Brady the GOAT.

15 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Except, that’s literally Tom Brady the GOAT.

It was also Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, etc.  No one is arguing it hasn’t had its dominant place in the NFLfor a long time.  Times change, the game evolves. It’s hard to get in depth in a post of the ins and outs of what they discuss.  Some may buy it, some won’t, but they make very reasonable points.  It was a terrific listen.

• Upvote 1

Drake london pushing back his 'personal' pro day back a week due to a 'hamstring strain'

He's probably running as fast as Hamilton.

Fug this guy I want no part of him.  Dude you are not good enough to keep pushing around pro days this time of year.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Drake london pushing back his 'personal' pro day back a week due to a 'hamstring strain'

Fug this guy I want to part of him.  Dude you are not good enough to keep pushing around pro days this time of year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Would love that and even double dip at WR and grab a speedster guy for depth in round 3 or 4:

• Calvin Austin III 
  • Wan'Dale Robinson 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Those comments definitely made me feel better about the Wilson pick. 

Wilson was not good this year and that was only slightly remedied by a few not great but promising games of clean football. The important thing is the future. The guy is the exact prototype that dominates the NFL. He has the crazy arm talent, silky smooth throwing mechanics, and mobility in the backfield. 

If he works really hard and smart he'll be just fine in the NFL, but there's still a long ways to go. I will say, it is promising to see how much effort he's put in so far. One thing he exceeded my expectations in last year was his toughness and grit. We'll see though. I'm definitely not sold on him being a star yet, but I also don't think the possibility is as small as some think.

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Fug this guy I want to part of him.  Dude you are not good enough to keep pushing around pro days this time of year.

It is already sketchy when you don't run at the combine. Now you are pushing off your pro day to try and figure out a way to not show the world you run a 4.59? Just own it. You aren't that fast. It's ok bruh.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for posting, solid listen. I’m about halfway through. The discussion on the X guys is interesting because the examples they gave - Williams and Higgins - have other receivers on their offense who get more targets and yards than they do. I do think the Jets want a guy who can do that, I’d think mostly because they want defenses to have to account for that guy while Moore can attack all levels of the field and be their primary target guy.

I also think comparing Drake London to those guys is dangerous, given London wasn’t a downfield player at all in college. He fits more into the big slot role they’re describing IMO. Certainly runs the risk of a team trying to turn him into something he isn’t, unless there’s a lot he didn’t show in college. But I think I’d let that be a pleasant surprise when I’m banking on him being a big slot and use him outside some too if I can, rather than assuming he can do something in the pros he wasn’t asked to do in college.

• Upvote 3

Like others have said - Jets need to load up on WRs. It's all about the 3+ WR sets now in this league.

Outscoring will win you more games than playing good defense.

The rules favor scoring points, WRs running freely and QBs being protected from big hits.

Jets should take 2 receivers in the 1st 2 rounds. I'm ok with 2 receivers, a TE and a RB/OT. 

Time for the Jets to complete in the 21st century.

• Upvote 1

Really good listen, appreciate the post @T0mShane

It's cool to hear intelligent, well-informed people like this establish why a someone with Wilson's skillset makes sense for this current meta in the league. 

The receiver talk was great as well, but it only made me like Christian Watson even more - I didn't know "the X" was not just about having someone big and physical, but rather someone who can attack vertically. I agree with others here, Corey Davis is the 'big slot'. 

But more than anything I'm still looking at McLaurin, Brown and DK for that true X. Watson could be it, someday, but I want someone that's ready to contribute this year.

IMO, we've done solid job this offseason so far, but the true test is hitting on that pass-rusher and swinging a trade for one of those three. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Fug this guy I want no part of him.  Dude you are not good enough to keep pushing around pro days this time of year.

He's gonna run a 4.77 whether it was today, the 15th, or Christmas day 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, Barton said:

Like others have said - Jets need to load up on WRs. It's all about the 3+ WR sets now in this league.

Outscoring will win you more games than playing good defense.

The rules favor scoring points, WRs running freely and QBs being protected from big hits.

Jets should take 2 receivers in the 1st 2 rounds. I'm ok with 2 receivers, a TE and a RB/OT. 

Time for the Jets to complete in the 21st century.

Load up on WRs for sure, but just don't use early round 1 picks to do it.